EasyOS Kirkstone-series version 5.2.3

Moderator: BarryK

bean

EasyOS Kirkstone5.1 custom display scaling

Post by bean »

Barry K deserves a speeding fine, Easy OS is way too fast

Windows 11 Pro has customized scaling disply/graphics from 100% -500% ( not advisable they say) i set to 100% and increase browser +/- as or if needed. holding ctrl and scroll makes desktop icons bigger/smaller,

I tried in Fossapup but could not really get the eye candy like in Windows, (No moans) a 350Mb distro against almost 30G Windows no ways,

can Easy OS, do custom scaling i have looked and tried but no go so far. Perhaps its editing a config file or whatever?

i have loaded the amdgpu 22.20.50200 drivers in both Fossa and Easy although all works fine i cannot see a difference ( but these old eyes are not so good)

Berto

Re: EasyOS Kirkstone-series version 5.1

Post by Berto »

BarryK

thank you for the very good work with Kirkstone 5.1. Its working great :thumbup2:
On USB solvespace didn't work, but I think that is because of my hardware. Fully installed on seperate partition it works fine. Package managers and Appimage installer I didn't test yet, but everything else works perfectly.

Thanks again ....

ASUS EEPC, Intel(R) AtomTM N450 ,1.66GHz (1 core), RAM 977 M

Regards,

Berto

ASUS Netbook, Intel Atom N450, Nvidia / ASUS Notebook Pro 78S, Core i7, Nvidia

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

@don570
don570 has very limited data allowance at his home Internet connection, so goes to a local library to download large files (I think that he said it is a library, whatever, some place with good data download).

This means he cannot use the AppImage Installer. However, it is possible to download the AppImage manually, then run the AppImage Installer.

You just need to know whereabouts to place the .AppImage file. In the case of Audacity audio editor, the .AppImage file needs to be in /mnt/wkg/appimage/audacity

The folder name "audacity" is lower-case letters. You can confirm the exact folder name required by looking at file /usr/local/appimage/appimage -- go down to line 262 and you will see the names -- just change to lower-case.

So, place the .AppImage in the correct path, then run the Installer from the setup menu.

The only catch to the above instructions is you would have to download the same version, and same filename .AppImage, as the Installer -- examine the script about line 262 to discover that. For the Audacity, it is the latest .AppImage at github.com/audacity/audacity

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Oops, I left out a dependency of samba.
Alfons has sent me an email:

Barry,

- openvpn works (daemon default in state disable)
- wireguard works

samba error ....
/usr/sbin/smbd: error while loading shared libraries: libkrb5.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/nmbd: error while loading shared libraries: libkrb5.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
smbd: no process found
nmbd: no process found
/usr/sbin/smbd: error while loading shared libraries: libkrb5.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/nmbd: error while loading shared libraries: libkrb5.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

after installing krb5-1.17.2-r0-nocona-64.tar.xz
- samba works

with "AppImage Installer " you have realized a great extension in EasyOS!

Hmmm, looks like 5.1.1 will be coming soon.

I forgot that krb5 is now a dep for samba. In the Dunfell-series, samba uses internal heimal, which is an alternative to krb5.

Anyway, install krb5 before using samba.

don570

review of version 5.1

Post by don570 »

Quick review of version 5.1
Dell desktop Optiplex 990 nvidia GT 1030 card inside
no internet access

-
-samba worked when krb was installed

-couldn't get mhwaveedit to record whereas
precord, baconrecord and audacity could record

I could only record with ALSA not pulse audio but I had to
use pulse audio mixer to turn on front and back microphone devices to get sound in port to function
for recording. I also needed the ALSA mixer to set capture level. So it was awkward to record but it can be done.

-Shotcut SFS wouldn't launch including main window

-wacom driver still had bug with GIMP
with my wacom Bamboo tablet

-audacity SFS worked including record but not in kirkstone container
-can't launch audacity SFS in kirkstone container

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

AppImage Installer bug fix, etc, blog post:

https://bkhome.org/news/202303/appimage ... -apps.html

Caramel

Small bug in easyupdate

Post by Caramel »

EasyUpdate checks the size of free space on the working partition via the command

FREEblocks="$(stat -f -c %f /mnt/${WKG_DEV})" (file /usr/local/easy_version/easy-update line 159)

Then there is another check via the command

FREEblocks=`stat -f --format=%a ${PWD}` (file /usr/sbin/download_file line 128)

The result of the second command is less than that of the first.

If the first result is larger than 3GB (the required minimal size for the update) and the second is smaller than 3GB, EasyUpdate says there is enough free space but the download is not happening

szept

Re: EasyOS Kirkstone-series version 5.1.1

Post by szept »

BarryK wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:07 am

AppImage Installer bug fix, etc, blog post:
https://bkhome.org/news/202303/appimage ... -apps.html

How is the Appimage installer different to downloading an appimage manually and running it? If it is at all - I'm a EasyOS beginner and not an expert with linux in general, so please forgive question about simple things:)
Is it only to make the download process quicker and simpler, so user don't have to look for an appimage on the internet?
I'm glad there's Audacity and FreeCAD. Would it be possible to ad OBS studio, Flameshot and OpenTTD (Transport Tycoon Deluxe) as well? Windows has a great tool for quick screenshots + simple edit options called Snipping tool. I tested few tools in linux, looking for something equally quick and simple and Flameshot was my choice in Lubuntu and Puppy. I know Puppy and EasyOS have Take a shot, but his one is not so good as you have to open an image in other application to edit it as well as the Region option won't show you the frame whilst selecting area. In Puppy I got it through Puppy's Package Management, but is there a Package Management in EasyOS or the only posibilities are Appimages or SFS?

BarryK wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:08 am

Version 5.1.1 is out!

I did the automatic upgrade from 5.1 to 5.1.1 and as far as I can see all went fine.
The upgrade however set the menu to default, so before I had Download Vivaldi as well as Download Firefox hidden, but Przeglądarka Internetowa Vivaldi (it's even in Polish!:D ) and Firefox web browser visible. but after 5.1.1 update it was the other way around. Also, Chromium was a default browser after update, so I had to swap it for Vivaldi again.

Just few days ago I installed 5.1 and I wanted to thank you for Vivaldi <3
Installed also askes to set Vivaldi as default browser - awesome!
There's LibreOffice in Polish as well, much appreciated :)

Now, what tiny issues I've noticed.
Vivaldi isn't opening after the first click on www on the desktop - you have to repeat that and it opens after the second attempt.
Also, when you download something via Vivaldi and you click on the Downloads folder in Vivaldi's downloads bar it won't open the folder. You have to manually open the folder.

I want to add that EasyOS is superb fast! Puppy was quite fast, but I think Easy is even faster. Awesoem stuff, thanks a lot :)

Damian

P.S.
Is there a reason F2 is not for renaming files? Is there another keyboard shortcut for that?

Running live-USB EasyOS-64_5.6.3

...and taxes are theft! -.-
https://321my.wordpress.com/pw/

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

szept,
Just a quick reply for now.

OBS is available in the package manager, click on the "pkg" icon.

Flameshot -- no, Easy already has 3 screen shot apps builtin.

I will checkout OpenTTD

AppImage Installer is very much superior to just downloading an AppImage and clicking on it.
The Installer creates a menu entry, runs the app non-root for security, supports single-click deletion of the appimage (and menu-entry etc), and will soon support updating.
Also, all appimages in the Installer have been tested to work.

wiak

Post by wiak »

Are there are a set of boot arguments like pfix=nocopy available for EasyOS?
I don't want the main image occupying RAM prior to being mounted, thanks.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

szept

Post by szept »

BarryK wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:04 am

OBS is available in the package manager, click on the "pkg" icon.

Awesome! Working well. Audacity installed via Appimage installer is running fine as well. Thanks :)

Flameshot -- no, Easy already has 3 screen shot apps builtin.

I've tested all 3 of them and if I'm not mistaken - none of them has an ability to take a screenshot of a region as well as easily resize it. I think Flameshot is much quicker, simpler and more functional than any of these 3 (even better than a very usefull Snipping tool from Windows - this one doesn't do UNDO and resize, but it has an ability to select a region and draw on a picture). I've downloaded an appimage for Flameshot and if you wish you check what I mean. Is there a preferred way to place and appimages such as Flameshot?

Thanks for responding! :)

I appreciate if anyone could let me know if there's a was to set e.g. F2 to rename files.

In WIndows (in Lubuntu as well IIRC) file manager there is a UP (folder) as well as BACK buttons. The UP button does the same as here, so it takes to the one directory "above", but the BACK button takes you back to the previous directory you were in - regardless if it was a directory higher or lower or totally somewhere else (favourite directory). It's quite useful if you copy files from one to another directory and they're not "next to" each other. I cannot see a BACK button in EasyOS - is it hidden somewhere or can I create da key to do this job in file manager or just as a keyboard shortcut maybe?

Of course, please don't get me wrong - despite all the above issues - I'm loving using EasyOS and right now this is the only OS I'm using.

Last edited by szept on Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keef

Post by Keef »

Rox-filer does uses F2 to rename files. Press F2, it gives you a cross-hair to select the file with.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

wiak wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:09 am

Are there are a set of boot arguments like pfix=nocopy available for EasyOS?
I don't want the main image occupying RAM prior to being mounted, thanks.

Currently no.
You would have to open up 'initrd' and edit the 'init' script.
It makes a choice whether to copy easy.sfs based on amount of RAM and speed of storage media.
Go down to where the variable "CPYflg" is set.

szept

Post by szept »

Keef wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:29 am

Rox-filer does uses F2 to rename files. Press F2, it gives you a cross-hair to select the file with.

Uhm... No, F2 doesn't do anything in mine...

Berto

Post by Berto »

@szept

Hahaha, yes, I've given up function keys for long already. They are doing everything but not what I want.

For me it's important to have the € sign working, but in " third level choosers" it's not easy to find an empty key for that.

I use the right win key now, that's working, but a little unusual for German keyboard.

Regards,

Berto

ASUS Netbook, Intel Atom N450, Nvidia / ASUS Notebook Pro 78S, Core i7, Nvidia

szept

Post by szept »

Berto wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:15 pm

@szept

Hahaha, yes, I've given up function keys for long already. They are doing everything but not what I want.

For me it's important to have the € sign working, but in " third level choosers" it's not easy to find an empty key for that.

I use the right win key now, that's working, but a little unusual for German keyboard.

But RENAME option I use quite often and in Windows or Lubuntu or Puppy I would just press F2, but in Easy I have to right click and go through the menu. I can't see a reason not to have F2, is there any?

I will checkout OpenTTD

Could you also check Shotcut please? It's a great app for video editing (when you record with OBS for example). Maybe Signal as well - it's a messaging app, supposed to be safe and I mean really safe, not like fb/whatsapp, skype or telegram, where all the info is flying straight to NSA. And no, I don't like it because E.Musk said Signal is cool and wow, I enjoyed using it years before that! ;]

Vverve

Post by Vverve »

The appimage "compatible store¨ is a ++ in 5.1.1 .
Again,Easyos is one of the most documented (if not the winner...) os i tried,online + in almost all applications.
Not a standard puppy..true.
Took time to return to recent woof+ distros,void,kvl,gone l0t3k studio13.37,s15 ,so many i even missed 5.1 release !!!
And i'm back into it , i like jwm(xfce is ok but..lets say its a personnal choice..) , in love with appimages for the last 5-6 years ,
tried a simple qjackctl(sources are 5Mb,latest working** appimage is 14Mb) off of a flatpak??,worked,yes,
needed +/- 1Gb of download ...gulp..
Imagine Freecad flatblob ...so much i dont understand..is that format sponsored by bandwith sellers or what?!!?
oops sorry ,it's easyos topic..

**(qjackctl 0.9.9-53.1.appimage need libselinux.so.1(163k) in easyos)
Packit pet still usable here if you like gui from a simple right-click .

Daily keeper for now ,inspiring project for a retirement one.

edit;good thing i dont do coding...my flatpak try was qpwgraph not qjackctl...messy me, my bad,again..

Last edited by Vverve on Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bugnaw333

Post by bugnaw333 »

@szept

Could you also check Shotcut please?

Shotcut Appimage will run as stand-alone mode for EasyOS.

Best regards,
Reynaldo

Keef

Post by Keef »

@szept
Re setting Rename to F2

Add the line:
gtk-can-change-accels = 1
to the hidden file in root - .gtkrc-2.0

Go to Options in Rox, then Set Keyboard Shortcuts. It tells you what to do next.
Sorry, I was in Fatdog when I replied before, and hadnt realised :oops:
I've tried it and it works, but this may get overwritten if the GTK theme is changed, I think.

szept

Post by szept »

REPORTING: Desktop Wallpaper in PupControl doesn't work.

bugnaw333 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:42 pm

Shotcut Appimage will run as stand-alone mode for EasyOS.

Do you mean that I have to download Shotcut's Appimage on my own and just run it? I've found Shotcut in SFS store! What's better Appimage or SFS? Thaks :)

Keef wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:47 pm

Re setting Rename to F2
Add the line:
gtk-can-change-accels = 1
to the hidden file in root - .gtkrc-2.0

Go to Options in Rox, then Set Keyboard Shortcuts. It tells you what to do next.
Sorry, I was in Fatdog when I replied before, and hadnt realised :oops:
I've tried it and it works, but this may get overwritten if the GTK theme is changed, I think.

Sorry, but how do I get to Options in Rox-Filer? Do I put these lines you mentioned to RoX's options?

Keef

Post by Keef »

Screenshot(1).jpg
Screenshot(1).jpg (50.11 KiB) Viewed 799 times

Right click on the background in a rox window (not on a file).
Got to Menus, then you should see it. Once you click on Keyboard shortcuts, it will give you the instructions I posted previously.
Don't forget to click the 'eye' to see hidden files.

szept

Post by szept »

Keef wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:23 pm

Got to Menus, then you should see it. Once you click on Keyboard shortcuts, it will give you the instructions I posted previously.

I seriously have no idea what the instructions are trying to tell me... :/

Keef

Post by Keef »

It threw me initially, too. Actually quite simple. Right click on a file, move mouse pointer over the menu entry 'Rename', then press F2 - it should then appear in the menu next to it.

szept

Post by szept »

Keef wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:40 pm

It threw me initially, too. Actually quite simple. Right click on a file, move mouse pointer over the menu entry 'Rename', then press F2 - it should then appear in the menu next to it.

It's working!!!!!!! That was very simple indeed :)

You made my EasyOS experience soooo much nicer - thanks a lot :D

bugnaw333

Post by bugnaw333 »

@szept

I've found Shotcut in SFS store!

Its the old version 22.03 in SFS store. The newest version is 22.12 -->>https://www.shotcut.org/download/

I do not see any difference between SFS and Appimage. ;)

Keef

Post by Keef »

The C compiler is not working for me. Tried the devx as a separate container, and part of main, and also deleted it and re-downloaded, but no luck.
e.g.:

Code: Select all

# ./configure 
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/ginstall -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a race-free mkdir -p... ./build-aux/install-sh -c -d
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
checking whether make supports nested variables... (cached) yes
checking whether make supports the include directive... yes (GNU style)
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... no
configure: error: in `/files/projects/smenu-1.2.0':
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details
# cc
Illegal instruction
# 

This is part of the config.log:

configure:3736: gcc --version >&5
./configure: line 3738: 20313 Illegal instruction     $CC --version 1>&5
configure:3747: $? = 132
configure:3736: gcc -v >&5
./configure: line 3738: 20318 Illegal instruction     $CC -v 1>&5
configure:3736: gcc -V >&5
./configure: line 3738: 20323 Illegal instruction     $CC -V 1>&5
configure:3736: gcc -qversion >&5
./configure: line 3738: 20328 Illegal instruction     $CC -qversion 1>&5
configure:3736: gcc -version >&5
./configure: line 3738: 20333 Illegal instruction     $CC -version 1>&5
configure:3767: checking whether the C compiler works
configure:3789: gcc    conftest.c  >&5
./configure: line 3791: 20343 Illegal instruction     $CC $CFLAGS $CPPFLAGS $LDFLAGS conftest.$ac_ext $LIBS 1>&5
configure:3793: $? = 132
configure:3833: result: no
BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Keef,
What CPU does your computer have?

gcc was compiled to run on a nocona CPU, which is most likely the earliest x86_64 CPU released by Intel.

Works ok for me:

# gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 11.3.0
Copyright (C) 2021 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Keef

Post by Keef »

Barry,

It is a Dell M4600, with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz.
If I run Fatdog's gcc (7.3.0) while in easyOS, that runs without error, as does Fossapup's gcc 9.4.0.
Ive also just tried the binary from the devx for Easy 5.0, but same result:

# ./x86_64-poky-linux-gcc --version
Illegal instruction
BarryK

Post by BarryK »

szept wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:31 pm

Could you also check Shotcut please? It's a great app for video editing (when you record with OBS for example). Maybe Signal as well - it's a messaging app, supposed to be safe and I mean really safe, not like fb/whatsapp, skype or telegram, where all the info is flying straight to NSA. And no, I don't like it because E.Musk said Signal is cool and wow, I enjoyed using it years before that! ;]

Easy 5.2 will have OpenShot video editor and Zoom conferencing.

I wasn't able to get the ShotCut appimage to work.

Also will have a WhatsApp wrapper for WhatsApp Web.

I will investigate Signal.

Note, expect Easy 5.2 on April 1st or 2nd.
I have used up my monthly 50GB allowance, Vodafone drops me down to a slow speed -- about 150KB/sec, which is not too bad but not good for uploading large files.

Return to “EasyOS”