Another Jammy64pup

Moderator: Forum moderators

jrb

Re: Another Jammy64pup

Post by jrb »

OK, New ISO at page 1 post 1

Latest WoofCE which dimkr tells me has some good improvements. Encrypted Savefiles work. Xarchiver extracts works on .debs. Terminals behave properly. Latest huge-5.15.85-kernel-kit.tar.bz2 by @dimkr.

Try it and let me know what you think.

Cheers, J

Marv

Post by Marv »

Up and running C2. md5sum checks ok, clean boot, encrypted savefile created and rebooted. Both OK. Terminal behavior normal. Portable browsers etc. all OK and general use seems fine. dmesg format changed in this kernel? Idle resource OK, glxgears FPS good. No multimedia checks yet. Posting from Brave portable in C2 now.

Two notes.

I disable Xlock on first boot. Opinions on whether it should be the default?

Laptop users: Try a lid-suspend and see if connman reconnects on resume. If not, let me know and I have a fix. The suspend-resume dance is hardware and kernel dependent, always has been, and the 5.15.85 kernel needs a connman restart on resume on my hardware whereas the 6.1.13/6.1.14 kernels do not. Not unexpected...

It's my daily for now so we'll see what else pops up later.

Cheers,

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based NoblePup64 (JWM & LXDE), Bookworm64 & Fossapup64-mid/mini (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Booted ISO file directly via QEMU as well as via SG2D with NO issues or hiccups in my use on desktop or at shutdown. ALL is well, thus far.

VM stanza is

Code: Select all

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -vga std -m 2G -smp 2 -device AC97 -name "Jammy vC2 by JRB via QEMU"  -cdrom upup-22.04-jrb-C2.iso

ETP's Get Chrome utility works and Chrome behavior is smooth with nothing noticeable[ in distro behavior.attachment=0]JRB Jammy C2.jpg[/attachment].

@jrb ... Check you PM

Attachments
JRB Jammy C2.jpg
JRB Jammy C2.jpg (57.73 KiB) Viewed 5351 times
LateAdopter

Post by LateAdopter »

Could someone tell me why the colours of the icons on the task bar are so dim, please?

It particularly affects the cyan colour of the Connman network icon and xload/gatotray and makes them hard to see. 0000ffffffff in gatotray should be quite bright and it is in fossapup64.

Thanks.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

LateAdopter wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:16 am

Could someone tell me why the colours of the icons on the task bar are so dim, please?

It particularly affects the cyan colour of the Connman network icon and xload/gatotray and makes them hard to see. 0000ffffffff in gatotray should be quite bright and it is in fossapup64.

Thanks.

Try another theme. The fore colour and background colour will play a roll in terms of how different icon colours may appear in the taskbar.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Thanks.

Try another theme. The fore colour and background colour may play a roll in terms of how different icon colours appear in the taskbar.

jrb

Post by jrb »

Thanks.

@amethyst beat me in replying and he makes a very good suggestion "try another theme."

On the Menu go to Desktop->Desktop settings->Theming. You will get a number of windows the topmost being "Jwm Theme Switcher". Try "Stardust_bright", it does make the icons much more visible and I think it goes well with the dark wallpaper.

Attachments
jammy64-startdust_bright.jpg
jammy64-startdust_bright.jpg (56.92 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
Marv

Post by Marv »

The tray color can be set independently fairly easily by using Gcolorsel to pick colors for the tray subsection in /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme if you like to tinker. I run with:

<TrayStyle>
	<Font>Sans-16</Font>
	<Foreground>#FFF</Foreground>
	<Background>#50667C</Background>
	<Outline>#50667C</Outline>
	<Active>
		<Foreground>#000</Foreground>
		<Background>#50667C</Background>
	</Active>
</TrayStyle>

and the Flat-gray-rounded theme so gtk2 and gtk3 programs look pretty similar:

Your theme is: Flat-grey-rounded and your window manager is JWM

Available Gtk themes with both 2.0 and 3.0 support:
   Emacs
   Flat-grey-rounded
   Gradient-grey
   Numix
   Polished-Blue
   buntoo-ambience
   stark-blueish

To change to one of them cut and paste it here, return exits : 

Suits me for now :)

Attachments
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (117.24 KiB) Viewed 5252 times

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based NoblePup64 (JWM & LXDE), Bookworm64 & Fossapup64-mid/mini (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

LateAdopter

Post by LateAdopter »

Thanks everybody for your suggestions, I will test and see if it is an optical illusion. I can see now that the gatotray cyan memory part is vertical stripes, so the background does show through and affect it.

The theme switcher does show a quirk of the Puppy tools like pfind, that I have noticed. They have duplicated scrollbars. I think the narrow one is from GTK, so I guess the wider one is from the theme. They both auto-hide and they all overlap in the bottom corner. It doesn't really matter though. Programs like Geany, Gnumeric and Abiword don't show the quirk. I have changed the scrollbar behaviour back to the traditional way where clicking on the scrollbar does page up or down, which is more useful if you don't have a scroll-wheel and the program you are using doesn't page up/down with the keys.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@jrb

Thanks for sharing this :thumbup:

I am very late to the party ..... 19 pages of comments already :lol:

Just grabbing your ISO and just wanted to know if the kernel can be swapped around?

Thanks
jrb

Post by jrb »

Jasper wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:09 am @jrb

Thanks for sharing this :thumbup:

I am very late to the party ..... 19 pages of comments already :lol:

Just grabbing your ISO and just wanted to know if the kernel can be swapped around?

Thanks
You're more than welcome to join in. :D Still very much in development but everything included so far seems pretty stable (knock on wood).

You can switch kernel's but make sure they are overlay and debian symlink compatible. If you look back through the comments you'll see that @Marv is running a 6.1.xx kernel but IIRC it required an entry in the boot configuration. I'm sure he'll be glad to repeat his instructions. I have used dimkr's huge-5.10.162-kernel-kit.tar.bz2 and huge-6.1.12-kernel-kit.tar.bz2. The latter, in conjunction with some included software, caused a problem with some browsers but that's been cleared up so it should be good now.
Marv

Post by Marv »

@Jasper

I've run both the huge 6.1.13, think it was one of @peebees, and @ozsouths' 6.1.14 very sucessfully.

Two things to keep in mind:

Both are structured for OS with lib etc. directly in /, not symlinked to /usr/, the current ubuntu convention. Unsquash the zdrv, and move /lib and /sbin into /usr. Resquash.
Do not generate symlinks for them in the zdrv. If you are using ozsouths', use the ubuntu flavor.

Since both of these support both AUFS and overlayfs, pass punionfs=overlay as a kernel parameter. Otherwise the install will default to AUFS as these kernels are configured.

OK, three. If you are swapping fdrvs, the same thing applies, Unsquash, create a /usr directory, and move /lib into the /usr directory. Resquash.

A note: Pets, Debs, and PPM installs, 'symlinked flavor' and 'traditional puppy flavor' should be OK to install now as @jrb has reworked installpkg.sh to adjust paths if needed on install. We've flogged that fix quite a bit and it seems sound.

cheers,
Last edited by Marv on Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jrb

A samba question: Solved

Post by jrb »

:?: Samba's not included yet but I have a test version up and running and I can connect from other machines with:

mount -t cifs -o username=root //192.168.1.xx/puppyshare /root/mnt
(I've forgotten how to use YASSM :oops: ) but only if I turn off the firewall. I have set the firewall to "Samba - share files with Windows", didn't make any difference. Any advice?

Edit: Just solved it by checking the "Your firewall is configured. Change it to open ports if you have added extra services" box, embarrassingly simple. Should have Samba in next build.
jrb

Post by jrb »

So before I do a build with Samba, I'd like you to try Croc a ridiculously easy file transfer progam. It's cli but I've created a couple of .pets, 64bit and 32bit, which put it on the right click menu.

Rightclick on a file or folder to "croc_send" it.
Rightclick on a folder to "croc_get" it in that folder.

You will need a .pet installed on both computers to use it.

It's also available for Windows, BSD, ARM, Mac but I'm not going to build packages for those guys.

Hope you like it, we'll take a vote on Samba after you try it.

Cheers, J

croc64-file_transfer-0.1.pet md5 0d5cb9124ca26fea38b94037023a2abd
croc32-file_transfer-0.1.pet md5 2cfad721a9a58617b0ccf17e6e075be8
Marv

Post by Marv »

Croc is worth polishing. Run from CLI between a couple of machines on my local network. Transferred files from a few bytes up to 9.3 MB. Works with firewalls on or off. Haven't gotten the GUI to show up in my rightclicks yet but I'm a bit non-standard in that and will play with it. I ran samba at one point but it would stall mid transfer on large moves, had pretty bad transfer rates on larger files, and the sneakernet was generally more trouble-free so I stopped using it. I've played with other ways but all seemed 'clunky'. To me, croc seems to have potential.

Haven't 'croc'd' any more but pummeled the ppm some, wanted to see if I could get the synaptics touchpad driver working for my one ALPS touchpad laptop that gives libinput the tizzies -or vice versa- Slick, xserver-xorg-input-synaptics_1.9.1-1ubuntu3_amd64.deb and psynclient 1.4.1 both in the repos, and a synclient pet of mine also worked. Added a snippet to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d to give the synaptics priority and it's good to go. No breakage :!: Libinput has no touch and release pressure settings and even with an ALPS touchpad quirk installed it 'sees' your finger about 1/8" above that laptops ALPS touchpad. Synaptics pads are acceptable. Did I say no breakage :!: :!:

To all a good night,
Last edited by Marv on Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Thanks @jrb. Looking forward to your work!

Yes SAMBA would be useful. @01micko's SAMBA w/utilities and introduction to WoofCE Puppyland has been a joy to use in all of the PUP's over the years. Fast, reliable, stable, secure, AND universal.

THANKS. A ton of masterful work evolving in this WoofCE driven project.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Some more thinking and experimenting with croc. I've gotten everything to work except the conf file. Currently I have a local relay running on the basement laptop, set not to suspend for now.

Alas, because the relay, be it on the local LAN or public, only stores metadata and mediates the connection process the shell/process on the sending computer has to stay live til the message is accepted/received by the receiving computer. OK -probably great- for sending a single file/pdf/whatever securely locally or globally. Not so good for sharing information among computers on a local net. Since I haven't yet found a samba alternative for that, I'd say if whatever the current CIFS/samba is actually works, include it, in the supplemental SFS if possible :)

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I think the PUP version of samba is installable via the build used in WoofCE to generate the PUP. This leads to this being build-in as are the prior released WoofCE PUPs over years..

Not sure, but I think that might be a preferable way to solve its entry as this might be a simple manner for this and future WoofCE Jammy64pup builds via the build recipe.
jrb

Post by jrb »

Kernel-5.15.85

It has just come to my attention that the kernel in the latest build, 5.15.85, is compatible with both Aufs and Overlay and Puppy defaults to Aufs. So if you notice that your savefiles from previous build are different from current ones, or if you have had difficulties with loading, this is why. Marv has explained how to get it to boot to overlay:

Since both of these support both AUFS and overlayfs, pass punionfs=overlay as a kernel parameter. Otherwise the install will default to AUFS as these kernels are configured.

I've been running in blissful ignorance the last few days until I peeked in my latest savefile and realized it wasn't structured the same as an overlay savefile. Doesn't seem to make a difference, unless we change to an overlay only kernel I guess.

jrb

Post by jrb »

About Samba

I have uploaded jammy64-samba_4.15.13.sfs md5 4e2dc99bda293f74538c11ae39881a2c . Load it at boot to get it working. You can use System->Boot Manager or click on it to load, save and reboot. It contains cifs-utils, samba, smbclient, and YASSM. Look in /var/packages to see the individual files.

I quit using samba years ago and have forgotten most of what I knew about it. Using the "Samba Simple Management" entry on the Network menu I can get puppyshare mounted on another computer, but only if I turn off the firewalls on both computers. Not ideal. Perhaps there is something to be done in the firewall's "higher level server settings (Experts only)." I'll leave it to the experts. If you're a regular samba user I'm sure you're more expert than I am.

Cheers, J

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Great.

The SSM, like SAMBA, is server side ONLY and aids in defining the folders a user wants to share to their LAN.

Do for example, If I have a folder, say, /mnt/My_TV_reruns that is on this PC, I set up my SAMBA to share by naming it along with its pathway. When SAMBA is green-lighted (hint ;) any of my LAN users can now see/use contents in that resource. ... no matter if they have a phone, TV, tablet, all other Operating systems, etc. Its just so easy in these PUPs.

Sample SSM-small.jpg
Sample SSM-small.jpg (25.65 KiB) Viewed 5322 times

And if one chooses, they can add 2 more resources via SSM (limit is 3). Additionally, if there is more any admin can update the sharing PC by updating /etc/samba/smb.conf for whatever folders, devices (like DVD), or printers in that file.

Thanks @jrb for all of this excellent project!!! :thumbup:

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

I couldn't get it to boot up from a USB flash drive, not to worry.

Used F2Stickpup which I have used successfully with other ISO's.

Could not save the log file as I am using a wireless keyboard and mouse, therefore not connected :oops:

Will try another ISO later on :thumbup:

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

I'm posting from upup-22.04-jrb-C2.iso. Just wanted to report that (a) I've returned from a vacation (b) have almost fully recovered from covid acquired while on vacation > Moral: don't take vacations*, and (c) just booted into C2 so have little to report except:

No rush, but for future reference you might want (a) to look at and incorporate the module used in f96 to select time-zone: it has much more user-friendly GUI than infinitely having to hold down-arrow at bottom until the desired choice appear;

QuickSetup.png
QuickSetup.png (43 KiB) Viewed 5190 times

Note Scrollbar on Right. Just drag until your choice appears.

and (b) @dimkr or whoever is responsible for the woof-code which offers on first-run to synchronize with Time-Server on boot-up. This is a long standing annoyance. It runs that module before the User has established an internet connection. Consequently, it will always fail and make the OS appear 'half-backed'.

Until TAS is worked-out --or if never-- you might consider this alternative to your current mod using mtPaint. It's a pet of 01micko's original script. viewtopic.php?p=2487#p2487. Provides this GUI:

mtpaintsnapshot.png
mtpaintsnapshot.png (21.25 KiB) Viewed 5221 times

-=-=-=-=
* Against my better judgment I couldn't pass-up a dirt-cheap cruise to the Caribbean. It's been a couple years since I went anywhere. Wife thought 'flying too dangerous --have to stand in airport terminals with thousands of strangers for hours'. So we spent nearly two weeks on a ship with thousands of strangers at least some on who operated under some of the following assumptions: (a) reports about Covid are disinformation to divert tax-payer money to pharmaceutical companies and further Big-D Democratic desires for 'Big Brother'; (b) you don't have Covid unless they've had to put you on oxygen; and (c) you've paid for the cruise so avoiding infection is a problem for your cruise-mates. I know of at least three passengers who thought nothing about admitting they that got on the ship knowing they had tested positive. :roll:

wiak

Post by wiak »

mikeslr wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:54 pm

Moral: don't take vacations*

I erroneously read that as "don't take vaccinations"

No rush, but for future reference you might want (a) to look at and incorporate the module used in f96 to select time-zone: it has much more user-friendly GUI than infinitely having to hold down-arrow at bottom until the desired choice appear

It does, and I use a similarly rubbish GUI in some of my KL versions. However, maybe worth mentioning that it isn't as crappy slow as it appears: just hold down proper Page Down button and it scrolls down fast (not simply cursor down).

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

No rush, but for future reference you might want (a) to look at and incorporate the module used in f96 to select time-zone: it has much more user-friendly GUI than infinitely having to hold down-arrow at bottom until the desired choice appear

The module in F96 has a scroll bar so you can grab it and go straight to the bottom.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

jrb

Post by jrb »

Jasper wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:27 pm

I couldn't get it to boot up from a USB flash drive, not to worry.

This made me realize I don't have frugalpup or grub4dos included. I also realize I haven't created a bootable usb drive with Jammy64pup. Better make sure everything works!

I''ll work on that and get back to you.

BTW, I was also very pleasantly surprised to find out, quite by accident, that latest grub4dos has dual boot compatiblity with windows7.(I only need it to run Canadian tax software.) IIRC, the older versions lost windows boot compatiblity after winXP.

Last edited by jrb on Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrb

Post by jrb »

I'm posting from upup-22.04-jrb-C2.iso. Just wanted to report that (a) I've returned from a vacation (b) have almost fully recovered from covid acquired while on vacation > Moral: don't take vacations*

Have dodged that bullet so far. Even though my 4 year old grandson kissed me on the cheek one day and the next was flat on his back with covid, followed by my daughters whole family.

Hope your recovery goes well, J

jrb

Post by jrb »

No rush, but for future reference you might want (a) to look at and incorporate the module used in f96 to select time-zone: it has much more user-friendly GUI than infinitely having to hold down-arrow at bottom until the desired choice appear.

I'll have a look at that. As wlak points out if you click the down arrow and then use the "Page Dn" button on your keyboard it's actually quite workable. Took me a long time of scrolling up and down trying to stop at just the right place before I figured that out though.

jrb

Post by jrb »

Until TAS is worked-out --or if never-- you might consider this alternative to your current mod using mtPaint. It's a pet of 01micko's original script. viewtopic.php?p=2487#p2487.

Very good suggestion. My quickly built Screenpic package just use's a 3 second delay. 01micko's is better. Will use it.

Thanks, J

jrb

Post by jrb »

@dimkr or whoever is responsible for the woof-code which offers on first-run to synchronize with Time-Server on boot-up. This is a long standing annoyance. It runs that module before the User has established an internet connection. Consequently, it will always fail and make the OS appear 'half-backed'.

I'm quite sure that predates @dimkr by a decade or so. Also, I doubt my gtkdialog skills (minimal to non-existent) are up to the task. I'll have to leave that for someone else.

Return to “Built from woof-CE Recipes”