System's Desktop pristine starts

Moderator: Forum moderators

Clarity

System's Desktop pristine starts

Post by Clarity »

This is NOT a request, as it is something to ponder.

A recent KL follower hinted at ease of use. The several questions I have seen might have been avoided with a FirstRUN utility that was developed by @shinobar and updated in recent years by BarryK.

Would this utility, intended for pristine starts, increase a comfort level for those new to KL?

wiak

Re: System's Desktop pristine starts

Post by wiak »

Clarity wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:45 pm

This is NOT a request, as it is something to ponder.

A recent KL follower hinted at ease of use. The several questions I have seen might have been avoided with a FirstRUN utility that was developed by @shinobar and updated in recent years by BarryK.

Would this utility, intended for pristine starts, increase a comfort level for those new to KL?

You are not wrong. It is one of the better things about Puppy Linux - I've also thought that - it does a great job at newcomer hand-holding and the on-first-boot setup GUI is main part of that convenience. Most distros, big or small, simply don't do that and no-one, myself included, can be bothered thus far to write a quick setup GUI for KL distros - a fair amount of work making such a facility and thus been low on everyone's priorities more generally and probably still is.

When you think about the number of competent scripters Puppy Linux has benefited from over its years, especially in the past, then you will recognise the problem: we simply don't have that level of utilities building support that once dominated this forum. It is not that we are blind to such ideas or thoughts. We do have a couple of contributors that can write such GUI's but again, these apps do take time, and sometimes a lot of time, to put together. Quick setup convenience utility involves quite a number of underlying system components so needs quite careful design and time-consuming work overall. The more 'automatic' a system is in setting itself up, the better though - such GUI finish-setup-off utils should on the whole just be for those matters we simply can't automate, though they can usefully also show what has been automatically proved possible to achieve on boot.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Return to “KL-Dev_Work”