Xeoma video surveillance software - RESOLVED

a very small Live CD shaped to look and act like Puppy Linux.

Moderator: fredx181

dcung

Xeoma video surveillance software - RESOLVED

Post by dcung »

Hi all,

I came across this Xeoma video surveillance software while researching my other thread
viewtopic.php?t=7963

I thought to evaluate/try it. So, I downloaded the latest version at the time (Official version Xeoma 22.12.5)
I installed it on StretchDog, BusterDog, Bullseye, Sid and could not to get it working on any of those Debian Dog. I won't elaborate too much what I have done so far, so that this post does not become too long. All fresh installs and I tried it on 3 laptops.

Later, I downloaded Linux Mint (linuxmint-21.1-xfce-64bit), and tried it. It worked.
So, I then tried it on Fred's FossaDog...and it worked too.

In their FAQ/Support/Minimum system requirements, among others, it listed Debian 7 or higher.
I'm curious why I could not get any of the Dogs above working.

Anyone here ever use this software?

2023-02-08-094122_1280x800_scrot.png
2023-02-08-094122_1280x800_scrot.png (292.9 KiB) Viewed 705 times

Fossadog - works.

2023-02-08-093629_1280x800_scrot.png
2023-02-08-093629_1280x800_scrot.png (348.67 KiB) Viewed 705 times

Sid - does not work.

Last edited by dcung on Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Xeoma video surveillance software

Post by rockedge »

Yes I have used it to compare it to Zoneminder. I was told about the application by @mikewalsh.

Zoneminder does not work well in Debian in general. Some library issues makes it run buggy.

I have had it working on both Bionic64 and Fossapup64-.9.5, with Xeoma finding the camera's I had available which are a combination of USB web cam's and IP NET cam's. I did not do much more than see if it could configure the cameras and stream them.

I work a lot on Zoneminder over the years and have it working well on different Puppy Linux distro's but it can be tricky to install. I made some scripts to do it on F96-CE which I modified from a set I made to install ZM on Bionic and older Fossapup's.

I have not tried Xeoma on any DebianDog's but found it will work on the Ubuntu based Puppy Linux distro's.

dcung

Post by dcung »

Hi @rockedge

I don't know if you remember.
Almost 2 years ago, when I first bought security cameras and was trying Zoneminder, you were the one that assisted me to get it working.
I used BusterDog at the time.

I still use Zoneminder. I also use the the camera manufacturer's software. I also use VLC.
I use different sw for different platform and different task based on what I found/experience with them.

I like to tinker.

As you can gather, I got Xeoma working on ubuntu based dogs.
Just curiuos, why it does not work on Debian dogs. At least, I can't get it to work...yet.

rockedge wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:16 pm

...zoneminder... but it can be tricky to install.

Hence, why I'm tinkering with Xeoma...I read somewhere, it's 'supposed' to be easy to 'install'...or easi'er' than zoneminder.

Last edited by dcung on Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Now I do remember!

Over time I've found Zoneminder can hold it's own even up against expensive commercial solutions. Share how you did it when you finally get Xeoma going on the DebianDog's!! As I mentioned ZM also did not run 100% in Debian in all of the installation tests I did. I stopped when I tried UbuntuDog and found a script that automated the steps and got ZM going right away. Dev's build it on Ubuntu.

I've haven't tried to get Xeoma going on KLV or KLU.....I should try it some time :geek:

dcung

Post by dcung »

rockedge wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:16 pm

I have had it working on both Bionic64 and Fossapup64-.9.5, with Xeoma finding the camera's I had available which are a combination of USB web cam's and IP NET cam's. I did not do much more than see if it could configure the cameras and stream them.

Reading above, I just tried Xeoma on Fossapup64-.9.5.
I didn't explore much, just confirming that I can view/stream the security cameras.

Sidetrack - OOT:
Couple weeks ago, I tried EasyOS for first time (4.5.5). Pleasantly surprised that it was smooth and easy (I tried frugal install then).
Of course, I could not even recall which laptop I was using then...
So, just now I thought I tried it too while also trying Fossapup64-.9.5.
Now, I can't even get EasyOS to work on any of these 3 laptops - but of course my EasyOS knowledge/exposure is very limited.
Gotta open a thread in EasyOS to seek assistance when I'm motivated.

dcung

Post by dcung »

I just posted on their forum.
See if I get any reply/assistance.

https://forum.felenasoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2741

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Xeoma seems to work for me on Bookworm after installing libglu1-mesa (at first try from terminal I got message that it's missing ).

Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (67.75 KiB) Viewed 572 times
dcung

Post by dcung »

fredx181 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:18 am

Xeoma seems to work for me on Bookworm after installing libglu1-mesa (at first try from terminal I got message that it's missing ).

I just tried it on Sid.
I installed libglu1-mesa and it worked.

I will try on other Dogs later, but I think it will be the same case.

In my case, I didn't see message...just black screen.

Thanks Fred for testing on Bookworm and solve the puzzle.

EDIT:
I understand now. I didn't get message since I didn't run it from terminal but GUI.

EDIT 2:
Just tried BusterDog, Bullseye - same case. I installed libglu1-mesa and it worked.
Thanks and sorry Fred... :oops: Amateur user.

2023-02-10-051237_819x392_scrot.png
2023-02-10-051237_819x392_scrot.png (47.03 KiB) Viewed 523 times
dcung

Re: Xeoma video surveillance software - RESOLVED

Post by dcung »

Update.

I thought to report what I have done since I got Xeoma working.
At the very least, as a mark of gratitude to @fredx181 and @rockedge who have assisted me many times.

I was looking for options/substitutes for ways to view my security cameras.
In addition to the NVR console, I'd like to be able to view from any location in the house.
I got plenty of old laptops anyway. Being old laptops, I have to find ways that do not require a lot of CPU power.

In my case:
The least CPU consuming way was to use VLC. When you have more than one camera to view, it's inconvenient, due to the lack of preset layout. It was not what VLC is designed for anyway - so can't blame the software.

The second was using manufacturer's software. But it is Windows software. Although when I install Windows, I cut all the bloat to bare bone using MSMG Toolkit. In term of booting/installation time, I have not found anything that take less time than puppies/dogs (for my HW collection, of course).

I was looking at Xeoma just to do the minimal, ie. viewing with preset layout. It is probably capable of doing more..a lot more than what I explored.

I am not keen to learn new camera software. I used Zoneminder for more 'complex' task. That's how I found out the neighbour's cat was eyeing my fish in the pond almost everynight! Zoneminder is not suitable to use for the simple viewing task, CPU utils was high, whether I used it for simple viewing or more complex task, marginal difference.

In the short time I tested Xeoma. I almost concluded that it's the same as zoneminder, i.e. not suitable for what I want it to do. CPU utils was just marginally lower than Zoneminder.

But today, just before I wrote this report. I thought, what if I tested using BusterDog (w nvidia).
And, I'm glad I did.

For the report writing, I used
Dell D630, T8300 (2.4GHz), 4GB RAM, 240GB SSD, with nVidia Quadro NVS 135M.
3 IP cameras.
I switched Xeoma to FREE version. I disabled ALL modules, except viewing cameras. No motion detection, no recording, no sound, etc.

Only upto BusterDog, nVidia driver is available for my D630.

It turned out the CPU utils were significantly different with nVidia driver installed.
50-60% vs 85-95%. See the screenshots.

Disclaimer:
I have no affiliation to Xeoma.
I didn't do tests methodically. Just what came to my mind at the time.
Eq. I should have done it on BusterDog - with and without nVidia driver
What can I say, I was using Sid.

Also, after installing nvidia, I downloaded a later Xeoma (they release newer, 15 days later after last one).

Anyway, for me, I can use this Xeoma with BusterDog/nvidia as another available option.
The CPU util difference meant that my D630 was not revving cpu fan like mad.

buster2.jpg
buster2.jpg (73.14 KiB) Viewed 443 times
sid2.jpg
sid2.jpg (86.63 KiB) Viewed 443 times

Return to “DebianDogs”