sonny

Re: Where's Grey?

Post by sonny »

Where's Phil too?

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I have been wondering for awhile now if Grey's absence is a result of a military call up. He's a veteran. Artillery I think was mentioned.

Grey

Post by Grey »

amethyst wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:31 pm

Has he been called up for military duty...hopefully not.:(

Oh, I think I've been lost here. It was quite a busy month (by time, not by calendar).
Thank you for such undeserved attention to my person.

First. Well, they didn't force me, but strangely enough, they just offered me to sign a contract :roll: After the refusal, I was offered to show a few tricks at a special training ground. For young people. I agreed to this, you can't let them go with snot on their nose.

Second. This is already on an absolutely voluntary basis. Participated in the creation of "trench candles". No, it's not equipment that harms people; it's things that help people. For the production of almost 400 pieces, 60 kg of paraffin is needed (who needs it, he can convert kilograms into pounds in the gMeasures program, which is, for example, in Fossapup by default; it's almost an advertisement for Puppy turned out :) ). In addition, metal cans (peas, corn, beans) and corrugated cardboard are needed. Well, you can add a few "secret" components from yourself. These things burn for 8 hours, you can dry socks on them and cook food. Four soldiers in a dugout can spend three candles per night if they install them in a special oven.
Well, yes. On the one hand, handicraft & antiquity. And on the other... after all, it works as it should:

trench candles.jpg
trench candles.jpg (32.74 KiB) Viewed 537 times

Third. Do you remember I told you about how we still sing a song about the Transvaal with a guitar (the song is about a Boer and his 9 sons & their tragic fate)? On New Year's Eve, I had a chance to participate in this case. Some people change the word Transvaal to Donbass. A new trend.

Well, a little relaxation. And this is how the classic version of the song "Transvaal, Transvaal, my country" is sung in my region.
The first option is "festival". Costume of the late 19th century and imitation of the dialect of that time. And of course without music, as they did around the campfire then.
The second option is with an accordion. This is how it happens at home, in order "for the soul to turn around and then wrap back up" :) There are "folk sounds" and the old pronunciation of words.
Which option is more South African ;) ?

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

@Grey
Good to see you are okay. This Transvaal-song is very interesting. Can't say I recognize any South African flavour to it (besides Transvaal which was a Boer Republic at the time and that some Russians were allies of the Boers during the Anglo-Boer wars) but the guy with the accordion most certainly resembles the boer look of that time with his beard. The traditional instrument for boeremusiek ('boer music") is actually the concertina and not the accordion. There was a youtube video of my father's uncle (grandma's brother) playing the concertina on his 100th birthday with his sons but I can't find it. Their family were very musical and one of his sons a well-known professional boeremusiek musician. Grandma played the guitar and banjo herself. Traditional boeremusiek will be something like this:

And Freddie Rheeder, the professional musician (my grandma's nephew): https://www.google.com/search?q=youtube ... 5g02U5L3CY

Grey

Post by Grey »

amethyst wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:41 am

Can't say I recognize any South African flavour to it

Right. It's just a song in order not to forget historical events, nothing more. There is not a single participant of the events left alive, so everyone sings the song as he feels.

The funniest thing is in the other. The song is remembered mainly thanks to an old and rare black-and-white film from 1954. The song is sung by... a little girl to the sounds of a hurdy-gurdy or hand-organ. And the film is not about Africa, but about how a group of Soviet teenagers is looking for a treasure, and the key to the mystery is in the handle of a naval officer's dirk. But after 20 years, they shot a new version of the film, in color with other actors, but without a song.

So the song was preserved thanks to the little girl from the first version of the movie. At least among the people.

Good to see you are okay.

Oh, this is just the beginning. Perhaps we are not being touched yet in case a lot of long transports with "cat" names appear.

Traditional boeremusiek will be something like this:

Well, at least a guitar and a small accordion are present :) OK, concertina :thumbup:

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

backi

Post by backi »

Hi @Grey !

Somehow relieved.....Good to hear you are doing fine .... :D :thumbup:

Best Wishes !

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

@Grey
Ivan Rebroff singing Sarie Marais, a folk song.
The song originated during one of the Boer Wars. The soldier is longing for his girlfriend (Sarie Marais) who lives in the Transvaal and he is worried that the Khaki's (British soldiers) will capture him before he sees her again.

Last edited by amethyst on Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grey

Post by Grey »

amethyst wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:48 pm

@Grey
The song originated during one of the Boer Wars.

Seriously :shock: ? He also "lit up" in Africa... I didn't know. I have several records and DVDs, but they are in Russian and of course German.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Grey wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:09 pm
amethyst wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:48 pm

@Grey
The song originated during one of the Boer Wars.

Seriously :shock: ? He also "lit up" in Africa... I didn't know. I have several records and DVDs, but they are in Russian and of course German.

His pronunciation was actually quite good with this song. :thumbup:

Grey

Post by Grey »

backi wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:52 am

Somehow relieved.....

In fact, it's too early to relax and sigh with relief. But I certainly appreciate your enthusiasm :) After all, I hope to hear from you many more world conspiracy theories. Well, there, that the island of Rügen is a piece of Atlantis, and an oak with seven faces is not a god Rugievit, but... well, come up with it yourself :)

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Grey I have been to Rügen several times. I did the lighting for a documentary on architecture in a mansion that was once a hunting lodge for the Kaiser then a headquarters for the SS. Interesting spiral staircase was the feature and some history.

Rügen is a good place to go for walks on the beaches in the winter time I found out on that job. Peaceful and spiritual, very quiet with snow on the ground.

I did not see any signs of the lost Atlantis though I know of the theory about Doggerland.

Grey

Post by Grey »

rockedge wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:52 pm

Doggerland.

Too simple and obvious ;) I'm sure @backi won't go that straight.

I know a verse about how the Donei (they had Bishop Sven in charge) tribe came to the island, dumped (it took 14 oxen, I think) and threw an Oak Tree into the water, which was considered a Rugievit god. And the inhabitants of the island were disappointed with their deity, who did nothing.

Beaches... Well, what is it :) It's not good for a conspiracy theorist :o

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Talking of conspiracies. Is our resident UFO conspiracist still around.

Keef

Post by Keef »

Do you mean 'last saviour' and his photos? I was thinking about him the other day for some reason.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Keef wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:57 pm

Do you mean 'last saviour' and his photos? I was thinking about him the other day for some reason.

Indeed but I'm pretty sure he had another user name prior to this one. :)

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

amethyst wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:00 pm
Keef wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:57 pm

Indeed but I'm pretty sure he had another user name prior to this one. :)

Was is "postsfs1" or similar?

Grey

Post by Grey »

Grey wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:31 am

Perhaps we are not being touched yet in case a lot of long transports with "cat" names appear.

Just in case. To somehow "soften" a slippery and unpleasant expression for someone. Funny video with a cat replacing dinosaurs in a famous movie.
Jurassic Purrassic Park:

Return to “Off-Topic Area”