rockedge
Site Admin

KLV-Airedale-rc9 with Void Linux Kernel 6.1.4_1

Post by rockedge »

KLV-Airedale-rc9
Kennel Linux Void Airedale Release Candidate 9 783 MiB download size
KLV-Airedale-rc9
SHA1-MD5.txt

Complete system update/upgrade and outfitted with a Void Linux kernel 6.1.4_1, Firefox v109.0

New and improved tuning of the /boot directory boot stanza's. improving the reliability of booting in QEMU, Ventoy and S2SG.

Improved and rebuilt initrd.qz including expanded support for SD cards.

Routine system update/upgrade. And wallpapers from @Sofiya are included, replacing some of the stock xfce4 backgrounds.

@wiak has again done more work improving the boot system menus and further improvement to the initrd.gz boot mechanisms :

The iso config file boot/grub/menu.lst is used to boot from cdrom using that internal to iso provided menu.lst (i.e. he currently uses grub4dos for that purpose).
The iso config file boot/grub/loopback.cfg is used (per usual) to provide the boot menu for SG2D
The iso config file boot/grub/grub.cfg is used by Ventoy (but included no Ventoy-compatible entries until my alterations below)

I have made some modifications to all of the above (though have left previous entries in place for later experimentation and possible modification or deletion).
In particular I have provided the ability when booting via SG2D or Ventoy of using the FR modes:

a. RAM0 for session changes in RAM only (i.e. no save persistence)
b. RAM2 save on demand mode back to upper_changes folder (or ucimg savefile) in same directory iso is stored (or in subdirectory if symlink manually made to iso).
c. RAM2 save on demand mode back to upper_changes folder in, Clarity suggested, partition with LABEL 'Persistence' and directory 'Sessions'
d. Direct save (not in RAM) back to upper_changes folder (or ucimg savefile) in same directory iso is stored (or in subdirectory if symlink manually made to iso).
e. Direct save (not in RAM) back to upper_changes folder in, Clarity suggested, partition with LABEL 'Persistence' and directory 'Sessions'

No editing of the presented SG2D or Ventoy boot menus will be required to achieve these most useful FR initrd modes. User just needs to put the KLV iso in BOOTISOS (or wherever it is put usually) and boot...

starting of the pulseaudio system for any user that is logged in has been fixed and improved. Thanks wiak, Sofiya and fredx181 for the exact steps.

Upgraded to a new version of @fredx181 's save2flash, and set LANG=en_US.UTF-8 in /etc/environment as default localization.

Thanks to @Sofiya for the poorercputemp and Display Control packages that also have been added to desktop.

• Grub4Dos is now included in the System menu. Making KLV-Airedale capable of setting up a boot-able device using GParted and Grub4Dos.

• CUPS starting as a service has been added and is working thanks to @rcrsn51 spotting missing components!

This is constructed from KLV-Airedale-beta27->rc1->rc2->rc3->rc4->rc4.1 and is equipped with a Void Linux kernel version 6.0.12_1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC constructed with @wiak 's scripts that will extract the Void Linux kernel for KLV. Also has had a system wide upgrade. Uses an initrd.gz based on the FirstRib skeleton initrd.gz constructed by the kernel/module creation script. Firmware SFS is from a woof-CE kernel-kit built huge 6.0.0-1 kernel.

KLV-Airedale-rc5 is just as at home on FAT32, NTFS prtitions as it is running from ext2/3/4 formatted partitions.

Also included is wiak's generate a set of boot stanzas script. fredx181's mksplash has a menu entry and the remaster script is installed.

With the addition of a xfce4 desktop tiling configuration. A tip from wiak for configuring Tiling windows done with the Super (Windows) key and an up, down, left, right, home, pgup, pgdown or end key.

gxmessage in the default rootfs.

save2flash has been expanded to handle persistence on FAT32 and NTFS partitions.
The mksplash GUI utility to create splash notification banners.

The latest initrd.gz brings vFat and NTFS formatted partition support to KLV, allowing persistence on NTFS/vFat systems as well as the usual /ext2/ext3/ext4/swap support.

• included htop, Grub4Dos, CUPS

• created a symlink /root/spot with the target /home/spot

• Auto login cleaned up.

• includes also the logout logic provided by fredx181 gives true mulit-user support.

• replaced loop.cfg to the most recent modifications.

• Debian kernel 6.0.0-3-KLV SMP PREEMPT DYNAMIC is used.

• added gtkhash

Plus the other important improvements contributed by the KLV team.

Added @fredx181's save2flash utility that can be used when KLV is started in RAM2 mode to perform session saves on demand for persistence.
This is similar to PUPMODE13 in Puppy Linux.

fredx181's swap partition enable script includes the latest revisions and also added are the packages

• mime-add-1.0_0.noarch.xbps

• edit-sfs-1.0_0.noarch.xbps

KLV-Airedale-beta25 is able to load squash SFS packages on the fly or during the boot sequence.
Squash files and ISO images can be opened from the file manager and the read the contents.

• can run with rootfs, 01fimware and 00module SFS files as uncompressed directories.

• Also able to load compressed and/or decompressed directories,
    once a 2 digit prefix is added to the file name.

• It is possible to mix using compressed squash files and uncompressed directories.

Also can be downloaded from https://rockedge.org/kernels in ISO->Kennel_Linux->Airedale

wiak

Re: KLV-Airedale-rc9 with Void Linux Kernel 6.1.4_1

Post by wiak »

Downloaded and posting from Ventoy boot (using RAM2 save on demand to Ventoy LABEL usbstick). Working fine now. Have also installed now as my KLV normal frugal - that should be fine of course. Here's hoping all modes for all of normal frugal, qemu, ventoy and sgd2 are now all working out of the box.

New users need to be aware that for above to be true they must label partitions sometimes in certain way per following post:

viewtopic.php?p=79395&sid=2294477329ec7 ... 2c4#p79395
(they don't need the attachments in that post of course - they are already in the new rc9 iso and set up to work).

Conveniently, I was able to use exact same grub configs in new KLU-jam. All that I needed to change for use in KLU-jam was distname and version at top of each grub config file since the rest is now auto done using grub2 variables; just as well since was a lot of sweat and tears getting these configs appropriate to use the FR initrd flexibile options correctly - I had forgot too much of the init offered arguments/facilities.

Then the boot results should all be very good indeed, with save on demand persistence working out of the box even for Ventoy case (save persistence for most other distros with Ventoy is often hard to achieve, but not with KLV-Airedale - works fine).

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

esos

Post by esos »

Well, tested KLV-Airedale-rc9.iso using ventoy1088 ==> Kernel panic on Latitute 7480.

wiak

Post by wiak »

esos wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:44 am

Well, tested KLV-Airedale-rc9.iso using ventoy1088 ==> Kernel panic on Latitute 7480.

Did you LABEL the partitions, as are required if you want persistence? Per the post details here: https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 395#p79395

You haven't given enough information as to what boot mode you were trying to achieve. There should be no problem loading without peristence, which is the RAM0 first Ventoy menu choice. Otherwise, if wanting any kind of save on demand you need to have labelled partitions as required (otherwise initrd will fail to find the savefolder, breaking the overlayfs, and thus kernel crash likely) - then it should work or has in all tests reported thus far otherwise. Shouldn't matter what make of machine is unless something very different about it in terms of firmware/modules required.

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak I am going to package SFS -load both as xbps and deb for optional installation.

Mainly because it's super cool and only very few distros on this planet can do it. Almost enough reason for me to keep it.

That's the Punk Rocker inside of me making noise.

We will have the packages for both Kennel Linux types.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Ever stand around with the guys just hanging out discussing who's car is cooler and faster and you don't need to say a word because everyone already knows that that car is yours?

It's things like SFS-load and just having such an ability that makes us stand out like a cool breeze on a hot summer day.

And we don't even need it but we sure do have it when we do.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

wiak wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:29 am
esos wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:44 am

Did you LABEL the partitions, as are required if you want persistence? Per the post details here: https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 395#p79395

You haven't given enough information as to what boot mode you were trying to achieve. There should be no problem loading without peristence, which is the RAM0 first Ventoy menu choice. Otherwise, if wanting any kind of save on demand you need to have labelled partitions as required (otherwise initrd will fail to find the savefolder, breaking the overlayfs, and thus kernel crash likely) - then it should work or has in all tests reported thus far otherwise. Shouldn't matter what make of machine is unless something very different about it in terms of firmware/modules required.

I can appreciate that you guys have a lot invested in Ventoy/SG2D, but I concluded long ago that Ventoy is not the wonderful multi-boot tool that Clarity claims it to be.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

Has anyone tried installing KLV-Airedale with Etcher - https://www.balena.io/etcher

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@rcrsn51 I also think Ventoy is over hyped. I prefer ISObooter for these cases. Getting Ventoy to work with KLV did take some effort but more to see if we could than for practical usage. QEMU or VIrtualBox and virtual machine operation in general is another important feature goal.

esos

Post by esos »

Laptop spec: Dell Latitude 7480 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz
RAM 8GB Graphics Skylake GT2

I installed Ventoy v.1.0.88 on this USb Kingston DataTraveler,
put many isos in the exfat ventoy partition and tested one by one in normal mode or grub2 mode(Booting ventoy pure as is No modification)
List working (bootable in this Laptop) Pups/Dogs:
F96,Lxpup,Qpup,Ddog-sid, EzOs and many other non pups/dogs isos like porteus,spiral,rebornos etc.
Sorry, klv was not working/booting even testing all options ram0,ram2,persistent.
I dont see Label list menu from this laptop otherwise using other computer.
This is the pictures what I saw.

Attachments
invalid.jpg
invalid.jpg (77.55 KiB) Viewed 1762 times
menulst.jpg
menulst.jpg (19.81 KiB) Viewed 1762 times
wiak

Post by wiak »

esos wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:36 am

Laptop spec: Dell Latitude 7480 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz
RAM 8GB Graphics Skylake GT2

I installed Ventoy v.1.0.88 on this USb Kingston DataTraveler,
put many isos in the exfat ventoy partition and tested one by one in normal mode or grub2 mode(Booting ventoy pure as is No modification)
List working (bootable in this Laptop) Pups/Dogs:
F96,Lxpup,Qpup,Ddog-sid, EzOs and many other non pups/dogs isos like porteus,spiral,rebornos etc.
Sorry, klv was not working/booting even testing all options ram0,ram2,persistent.

Sorry, I've no idea. Perhaps it is firmware or kernel in KLU release not suitable for you Laptop. I'd be interested in normal frugal install booted. Ventoy is a layer in between so more difficult to faultfind anyway.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

Sofiya wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:34 pm

Has anyone tried installing KLV-Airedale with Etcher - https://www.balena.io/etcher

I tried and it doesn't work. Just like the latest versions of Vanilla Dpup. I would have liked to see the whole thing but hey... :|

Born to lose; live to win

wiak

Post by wiak »

BologneChe wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:34 pm
Sofiya wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:34 pm

I tried and it doesn't work. Just like the latest versions of Vanilla Dpup. I would have liked to see the whole thing but hey... :|

What is the resulting difference between using Etcher compared to using dd? If KLV is made as a hybrid iso why would it not work if written byte by byte to the boot media. After all, the iso image boots fine as we know via Qemu. I'm just curious; I never myself use dd sort of method with KLV and have never used Etcher. Etcher website says it doesn't support persistence, presumably since resulting install as iso format ends as read only? In fact if it could boot KLV, save persistence would still be possible since klv can save changes to other rw partitions.

I'm sure it could easily be made to work with Etcher install, but need to work out in detail if it doesn't work with Etcher just now...

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

@wiak

It's the same problem with Fossapup64 version 9.6...version 9.5 works fine with Balena Etcher.

Born to lose; live to win

wiak

Post by wiak »

BologneChe wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:16 pm

@wiak

It's the same problem with Fossapup64 version 9.6...version 9.5 works fine with Balena Etcher.

Maybe the hybrid iso creation step isn't correct? I don't about that stuff. I do know rockedge uses a command that is intended to turn the iso image into a hybrid iso though.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

It was quite a few version back and I forgot to report it (sorry), but I needed libnss3 to run the Vivaldi portable browser and it's not very big, so you probably ought to add it.

wiak

Post by wiak »

dancytron wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:03 am

It was quite a few version back and I forgot to report it (sorry), but I needed libnss3 to run the Vivaldi portable browser and it's not very big, so you probably ought to add it.

Sorry, just made and uploaded my KLU-jam isos so if needed there will have to be added via save persistence till next release.
EDIT: just checked... A lucky fluke, but KLU-jam already has libnss3 installed... whew... Haven't checked KLV-Airedale.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Phil_54

Post by Phil_54 »

I know you've released rc.10, but I still have rc.9 and have three very minor annoyances.

Running with ram2, and using save2flash I have most of my settings set on reboot. Two items are not getting remembered.

1. A link to a portable browser on desktop that I no longer have. I delete the link, save, but on reboot it comes back.
2. Keyboard set so media keys work, and I save with mute enabled. Reboot opens with mute disabled, but mute key wotks fine.

These are very minor but may indicate something about the save2flash or the save on exit capabilities.

3. Opening terminal via keyboard or top panel sometimes takes several seconds when portable chrome open, but not always. eg, 30 seconds ago it was immediate, and just now 4 seconds. Probably due to my set-up but doesn´t happen in fossapup (instant always) for same portable. Can´t see any cpu or ram overload during this time. I can live with this, but I see it in KLU_Jam too.

Thanks for brilliant work on KLV and KLU.

2013 Toshiba chromebook, 2Gb ram, and SDcard :geek:

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

dancytron wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:03 am

I will double check that! I thought it is included but sometimes the assembly line is relentless. :shock:

Running with ram2, and using save2flash I have most of my settings set on reboot. Two items are not getting remembered.

1. A link to a portable browser on desktop that I no longer have. I delete the link, save, but on reboot it comes back.
2. Keyboard set so media keys work, and I save with mute enabled. Reboot opens with mute disabled, but mute key wotks fine.

These are very minor but may indicate something about the save2flash or the save on exit capabilities.

@fredx181 , @wiak any suggestions on this finding? I seem to recall something similar with a symlink to /home/spot that reappeared but somehow was resolved after a time.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Phil_54 wrote:

Yes, I could reproduce 1. it's a bug, indeed a by user created symlink and later deleted, it stays after save2flash and reboot, I'll try to fix (have idea already what causes it but need to do more testing).

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

dancytron wrote:

but I needed libnss3 to run the Vivaldi portable browser and it's not very big, so you probably ought to add it.

I just downloaded @mikewalsh 's Vivaldi portable and placed it on a QEMU virtual hard drive. I opened it up and duplicated the LAUNCH script and named it AppRun. So when I click on Vivaldi in a Rox-filer window it starts right up!

Now I am wondering why I haven't been using the Vivaldi browser.......it's very responsive in KLV-Airedale-rc10 and a nice interface.

I seem to remember the report from during the beta phase and that I added the needed libraries. I will continue testing it but it started and runs in a QEMU booted from ISO with upper_changes persistence on /mnt/sda1/Sessions/KLV-Airedale-rc10 so I will have to try it out on bare metal.

Screenshot(12).jpg
Screenshot(12).jpg (65.91 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Updated save2flash See: https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 880#p74880 The change is in /usr/bin/snapmergepuppy, scans now for leftover files (by user created and later deleted) not only regular files but also symlinks for being removed.
Should fix 1. reported here: https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 099#p80099

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Installed in rc10 :thumbup2:

Return to “KLV-Airedale”