Boot problems with fossapup64_9.5

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Tahrbaby

Re: Boot problems with fossapup64_9.5

Post by Tahrbaby »

Governor wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:26 pm
williwaw wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:49 pm

fossa works, limine works, and hopefully you can fine tune your Bios settings to get your screen working better at boot time.
Should you wish to add an additional puppy to your nvme in the future, follow steps 12 and 13, at viewtopic.php?p=77084#p77084 (with new naming apropos of your new pup of course)
you would also need to duplicate the stanza in liming.cfg and edit the path in KERNEL_PATH= and MODULE_PATH= to the new install folder name.

You might also try to copy your Easy install from the USB to the NVME, in which case you could disable USB Boot in the bios and see if that makes a difference with your boot time issues. You could of course still use a USB to move files, but just not boot from it until the Bio config change was reverted.

To create an Easy frugal install on the NVME, you would

1. boot into the NVME,

2. insert your Easy USB, then copy /easyos over to the top directory of the nvme, alongside the fossapup dir

3. Copy the stanza from the Easy limine.cfg , appending it to the limine.cfg in the NVME. You would also need to edit the UUID in the duplicated stanza, deleting the USB's UUID and inserting the NVME UUID. (the nvme uuid can be seen in the stanza above).

@Tahrbaby
I am not a fossapup guy so you would know better, but the most recent boot parameters Gov posted was

:Puppy Linux fossapup64 (partition nvme0n1p2, path fossapup)
PROTOCOL=linux
KERNEL_CMDLINE=psubdir=fossapup pmedia=ataflash
KERNEL_PATH=guid://e9b97f54-0ba4-4ff9-9e06-730900b8f08b/fossapup/vmlinuz
MODULE_PATH=guid://e9b97f54-0ba4-4ff9-9e06-730900b8f08b/fossapup/initrd.gz

If that line should be changed, what should the changes be?
KERNEL_CMDLINE=psubdir=fossapup pmedia=ataflash

@Governor

Change pmedia=ataflash to pmedia=atahd,save it, reboot and see what happens.

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

I would leave it as ataflsh. Personally I believe it gives you more options to save or not save. The updates reside in ram until you,click the Save icon, which saves any updates made to that point in the session. With pupmode 13 you can choose the save period or to not save at all.

The shutdown dialogue is first time run only. The save icon which is subsequently displayed, updates the existing save.

To create a new save folder/file you would need to boot with pfix=ram to start without loading an existing save, then you would get the first run shutdown dialgue again to create a new save, which you would add a different suffix to identify the save.

P.S. Hopefully someone else can give you some more details. I'm away from home at present. Typing this answer on my cellphone

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

Tahrbaby

Post by Tahrbaby »

TerryH wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:12 pm

I would leave it as ataflsh. Personally I believe it gives you more options to save or not save. The updates reside in ram until you,click the Save icon, which saves any updates made to that point in the session. With pupmode 13 you can choose the save period or to not save at all.

The shutdown dialogue is first time run only. The save icon which is subsequently displayed, updates the existing save.

To create a new save folder/file you would need to boot with pfix=ram to start without loading an existing save, then you would get the first run shutdown dialgue again to create a new save, which you would add a different suffix to identify the save.

P.S. Hopefully someone else can give you some more details. I'm away from home at present. Typing this answer on my cellphone

I disagree.
If you've read all the post's, you'd understand how this guy is struggling to understand the very basics of Puppy.
He's a complete new user so no sense trying to complicate it further at this stage.
Ataflash is mainly designed to run on usb sticks to cut down on data writes.There is no need to worry about that for SSD/HDD etc..

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

I've watched this thread from the start. Personal choice. To me Pupmode 13, gives the greatest flexibility when shutting down to be able to save or not save as I want. On SSDs, it also reduces writes.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Tahrbaby wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:50 pm

If you've read all the post's, you'd understand how this guy is struggling to understand the very basics of Puppy.
He's a complete new user so no sense trying to complicate it further at this stage.
Ataflash is mainly designed to run on usb sticks to cut down on data writes.There is no need to worry about that for SSD/HDD etc..

ataflash was the default written by Limine Bootloader installer. I do not recall any user input concerning disk type when running the installer, hence a decision by the user as to what pupmode is desired. I think the installer just does a simple probe, and the user should make any adjustment desired.

I am also not sure if the NVME is a Sata or a PCI Express. The manual has a table that lists three possible Secon­dary storage device's. As the secondary can be either 2.5 x 7 or M2
can I assume the primary could be either form factor also? Not sure if it makes a difference with fossa boot parameter choice, but does point to the possibility there may be an empty bay were Gov wishing to boot from a different disk or add an additional internal disk.

Secon­dary storage device

• Type: Hard disk drive
• Form factor: 2.5-inch 7 mm
• Bus: Serial ATA

• Type: Solid-state drive
• Form factor: M.2
• Bus: PCI Express

• Type: Intel Optane*

Governor

Post by Governor »

Tahrbaby wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:03 pm

Ok, I tried that. Below is from Pupsys-info

Code: Select all

PUPMODE=12
PUPSFS=nvme0n1p2,ext4,/fossapup/puppy_fossapup64_9.5.sfs
PUPSAVE=nvme0n1p2,ext4,/fossapup/fossapup64save-2

The save icon is gone from the desktop.

Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out alive.

Governor

Post by Governor »

I disagree.

Very true, I am struggling, but I like the idea of having the save icon on the desktop so I can easily save updates at any time.

Tahrbaby

Post by Tahrbaby »

Governor wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:38 pm

PUPMODE=12

That is correct.
It will now save any changes made to the save/file/folder automatically at shutdown.

Tahrbaby

Post by Tahrbaby »

Governor wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:51 pm

I disagree.

I like the idea of having the save icon on the desktop so I can easily save updates at any time.

That is your choice but at least you now know the differences and can revert back any time you wish.

Feek

Post by Feek »

Tahrbaby wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:52 pm
Governor wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:38 pm

PUPMODE=12

That is correct.
It will now save any changes made to the save/file/folder automatically at shutdown.

A little clarification:
(with pupmode 12)
Whenever you make changes during a session, they are written to the save directly, immediately after any change is made.

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:08 pm

ataflash was the default written by Limine Bootloader installer. I do not recall any user input concerning disk type when running the installer, hence a decision by the user as to what pupmode is desired. I think the installer just does a simple probe, and the user should make any adjustment desired.

I am also not sure if the NVME is a Sata or a PCI Express. The manual has a table that lists three possible Secon­dary storage device's. As the secondary can be either 2.5 x 7 or M2
can I assume the primary could be either form factor also? Not sure if it makes a difference with fossa boot parameter choice, but does point to the possibility there may be an empty bay were Gov wishing to boot from a different disk or add an additional internal disk.

If I am going to open this laptop, it will have to wait until the weekend. :)

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:08 pm

From what I can gather (if correct):

Storage:,
One 2.5-inch SATA drive bay, and two M.2 PCIe x4 slots.

Does it mean the NMVE on my laptop is connected to one of the two available M.2 PCIe slots?

https://www.laptopmedia.com/highlights/ ... e-options/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiE-7trJnOk

Return to “Beginners Help”