Today's boot procedure with fossapup64_9.5

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

Re: Today's boot procedure with fossapup64_9.5

Post by mikeslr »

geo_c wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:44 am
Governor wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:03 pm

How about I keep Puppy on my fat32 main partition which I have successfully booted from, and use the ext4 exclusively for the savefolder? AFAIK it is only the savefolder which must be ext 2, 3, or 4. Is that correct?

That's the HARD way. And I wouldn't be able to help you with it, especially since you're booting with limine. But I'm sure someone on the forum can point you in the right direction.

While I'm working on my 2nd cup of coffee, I still haven't read thru all the posts on this thread. But thought this might help. THE ONLY THING YOU HAVE TO HAVE IN EITHER A SAVEFILE OR SAVEFOLDER ARE CUSTOMIZATIONS AND SETTINGS. See this post about keeping a SaveFile small by keeping documents on a different --automatically mounted-- partition and using SFSes and AppImages which can be located anywhere, viewtopic.php?p=43296&sid=ee038eb9d0d66 ... ff0#p43296

What I wrote about SFSes and AppImages also applies to portable Applications. It's been a while since I've used Fat32/ntfs partitions for anything other than storage or to hold a bootloader. So I'm not sure the 'MenuAdd' scripts MikeWalsh includes with them will work. [I think they'll work between a Puppy on an Fat32 partition and a portable on a Linux partition, but not vice-versa or between Fat32 partitions]. However, a bash-script within your SaveFile (which is a Linux-Formatted block) to an executable or script anywhere does work. So you can create a menu pet. Ask how.

There's another way to expand the capabilities of a Puppy located on a Fat32/ntfs partition. Puppys will automatically load into RAM on boot-up any adrv and/or ydrv. Fossapup64 already has one. Its named adrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs. amethyst (formerly known as nic007) created nicOS-Utility-Suite, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 983#p12983. He doesn't use SaveFiles/Folders at all. I create two boot-listing, one which uses the SaveFile/Folder; the other which doesn't. If I boot Puppy from a USB-Key using the menu listing which doesn't, after it reaches desktop it dismounts the USB-Key and I can unplug it. From a hard-drive, it just dismounts it so that its contents are not easily exposed to hackers or malware.
The way to accomplish that is to use the Save2SFS module of the Suite*. It will 'capture' the contents of any SaveFile/Folder, applications, settings and customizations in RAM but not yet Saved, and optionally the contents of any already existent adrv or ydrv and write them to either a new adrv or ydrv. Like fossapup64_9.5.sfs, either or both an adrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs or a ydrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs located adjacent to the fossapup64_9.5.sfs will be copied into RAM on boot-up.

Answering your question directly
. I don't know. And I don't use the limine boot-loader so can't test. But you can and have nothing to loose. It will either work, or it won't. It does work when using either the grub4dos or any variant of the grub2 boot-loader.

Now that you already have a SaveFile, you have to boot without having fossapup64 use it. Again, my not using limine means I have to guess. grub2's grub.cfg is a text file you can edit. On my desktop it's grub.cfg** Stanza for fossapup64 has this line beginning with the 'word' linux:
Colored for clarity
linux /fossa64a/vmlinuz psubdir=/fossa64a pmedia=ataflash pfix=fsck
If I change that to:
linux /fossa64a/vmlinuz psubdir=/fossa64a pmedia=ataflash pfix=ram

Applying the argument 'pfix=ram', fossapup64 will boot without using the existing SaveFile/Folder.

On shutdown/reboot I'll (again) be offered the opportunity to create a Save. The first GUI will provide a list of ALL available partitions, including those formatted Linux, Fat32 and ntfs. Highlighted will be the partition on which Fossapup's system files are located. But I can select a different partition. If I do --after responding to the GUI's which follow-- if I selected a Linux partition I can choose to have a SaveFolder created. In addition to creating the SaveFolder on that partition, Puppy will write a SAVEMARK adjacent to its other system files. On next boot-up, grub4dos and grub2 will read the SAVEMARK, follow its arguments and mount the SaveFolder.

I don't know if limine will do that.

-=-=--=-=--=-=-
* Caution: It will offer you a choice of locations where the new adrv/ydrv should be created. DO NOT choose 'RAM' if you already have an adrv or ydrv. Recommended, choose a Linux partition.

** grub4dos would have a similar line except it would start with the word 'kernel'. e.g.
kernel /fossa64a/vmlinuz psubdir=/fossa64a pmedia=ataflash pfix=fsck

Governor

Post by Governor »

mikeslr wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:41 pm

There are two ways to associate file-types with applications. The first is Menu>Setup>Default Application Chooser. (In F-96, it's still there with a shortened name). A GUI will open on which you can select using a scroller the default application to associate with a file-type; e.g., with both abiword and LIbreOffice writer installed or SFS-Loaded, it will offer the choice of either as your default for all word-processing type files.

I tried this, but LibreOffice does not show up in the drop down menu. I presume that is because it is a portable app and not officially installed. I changed the selection from Abiword (the app that just won't quit) to Autodetect. That did not change anything. When I opened Default Application Chooser again, the drop down menu shows: "/usr/local/apps/UExtract/AppRun". Is that the same as Autodetect? How do I get LibreOffice to show up in the Default Application Chooser?

Thanks!

Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out alive.

Governor

Post by Governor »

mikeslr wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:10 pm
Governor wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:03 pm

How about I keep Puppy on my fat32 main partition which I have successfully booted from, and use the ext4 exclusively for the savefolder? AFAIK it is only the savefolder which must be ext 2, 3, or 4. Is that correct?

8< --------------- snipped

Now that you already have a SaveFile, you have to boot without having fossapup64 use it. Again, my not using limine means I have to guess. grub2's grub.cfg is a text file you can edit. On my desktop it's grub.cfg** Stanza for fossapup64 has this line beginning with the 'word' linux:
Colored for clarity
linux /fossa64a/vmlinuz psubdir=/fossa64a pmedia=ataflash pfix=fsck
If I change that to:
linux /fossa64a/vmlinuz psubdir=/fossa64a pmedia=ataflash pfix=ram

Applying the argument 'pfix=ram', fossapup64 will boot without using the existing SaveFile/Folder.

On shutdown/reboot I'll (again) be offered the opportunity to create a Save. The first GUI will provide a list of ALL available partitions, including those formatted Linux, Fat32 and ntfs. Highlighted will be the partition on which Fossapup's system files are located. But I can select a different partition. If I do --after responding to the GUI's which follow-- if I selected a Linux partition I can choose to have a SaveFolder created. In addition to creating the SaveFolder on that partition, Puppy will write a SAVEMARK adjacent to its other system files. On next boot-up, grub4dos and grub2 will read the SAVEMARK, follow its arguments and mount the SaveFolder.

I don't know if limine will do that.

On my FAT32 boot partition on NVME internal drive, limine.cfg was:

Code: Select all

KERNEL_CMDLINE=psubdir=fossapup64_9.5 pmedia=ataflash

I changed it to;

KERNEL_CMDLINE=psubdir=fossapup64_9.5 pmedia=ataflash pfix=ram

I rebooted without using a savefile. I noticed, however that all of my Firefox extensions were inoperative, although they were listed on the addons page.
If I have to redo Firefox, it will take me about 30 minutes to re-install and configure the extensions and go through and change about:config settings. Is there an explanation for this?

Does it mean portable apps in Puppy are only portable relative to the OS?

I was under the impression that portable MEANS portable, ie. when I unzip a portable app and copy the entire directory including subdirectories to another location, it should work exactly the same as before, because any changes made to the configuration will be included somewhere in the directory structure.

Is it a problem where the portable apps are saved? I am beginning to think it is a mistake to save anything to the virtual folders that Puppy creates. Any advice on this?

So I changed the line in limine.cfg to:

KERNEL_CMDLINE=psubdir=fossapup64_9.5 pmedia=ataflash pfix=fsck

I shutdown again and chose a savefolder on my 14GB ext4 partition.

However when I rebooted, I chose a previous savefile that was presented to me so I could use Firefox.

I was not presented with the option of the new savefile in the new savefolder, but the same 0,1,2 as usual, so I chose 2 and Firefox is working.

Governor

Post by Governor »

8< -------snipped
More complicated, but can come in handy, is using rox's Right-Click options. I always in stall masterpdfeditor. If I just want to read a pdf I just Left-click it and it will open in whatever PDF viewer the Puppy has builtin. But I add masterpdfeditor to the Right-Click menu so it will be available when I want to edit a pdf. To add it, I right-click a pdf file and select "Customize Menu". A GUI will open. I then drag the /usr/share/applications/masterpdfeditor.desktop file into it. This creates a symlink and masterpdfeditor.desktop will appear on the Right-Click menu for pdf files. [You can Right-Click the symlink and edit its name to just masterpdf.] Unfortunately, with applications which handle many file-types --e.g. doc, docx, rtf, odt-- you have to do that for each file-type.
You'll also notice that when you Right-Click a file, the pop-up menu, in addition to Customize Menu, offers OpenWith and Set Run Action. These can also be used especially when the Default Application Chooser does not offer a choice for a particular category or there is no desktop file. You'll have to experiment.

When I drag the executable to 'Send To', do I choose 'Relative' or 'Absolute'?

I added LibreOffice to 'Send To' as an absolute path (good or bad?). and I was able to use 'Menu add' to add it to the menu.

What is the difference between OpenWith and Set Run Action?

All Puppys have Menu>Setup>Pfind which will search for files and provide a list of all relevant with their location. Just type a name, or part. For example 'ex' will find 'example' and 'execute'. png will find all files ending with png. The longer the search criteria, the shorter the list. pfind's GUI offers choices for limiting or expanding the folders to be searched; and its Advance Menu will offer to read all files and return a list of those which have the search term in its contained text.

You can left-click a file on the list pfind displays and it will open in the default application for its file-type; e.g. with Libre-Writer as default, if pfind lists /mnt/home/my-files/CatchMe.odt, left-clicking it will open it in Libre-Writer. To find the CatchMe.odt file I could have had pfind Search 'All Files'. But that would take a long time as it will search all partitions. Rather, I keep all documents in named directories. So I can file browse into the 'my-files' folder, Right-Click an empty space and from the pop-up menu select Window>Shell Command. Typing pfind in the GUI will open it. Selecting 'Current Directory' will limit its search to that directory.
Selecting 'Current Directory' automatically also searches any subdirectories within the selected directory.

I tried using pfind to find LibreOffice but was unsuccessful. How do I do it?

See this post about installing AppFinder, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=2528

I installed AppFinder, but it disappeared again when I rebooted, and Abiword came back again.

I tried to re-install xfce_read-jwm.pet, but I get the message it is already installed. How do I find it?

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

You know, this topic is turning into a big mess of questions and getting really really hard to follow.

Stop constantly asking new questions.

You really need to start a new topic about each of your issues or questions.

Only talk about one single question or issue in the topic and when you get an answer, stop posting in the topic.
Mark it solved

Make a new topic about whatever!

Always state the topic specific Puppy version you are using!!!!

In Default Application Chooser.
If what you want to select for a listed item is not in it's selection drop down list.
Type in the name of the desired program in the selection slot.
If the program is installed or SFS file loaded and you typed the correct name, it should now be the default program for that selected item.
This name is usually the name of the program, but some programs have a slightly different name for the exec file that runs them, so that needs to be the name typed in.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Do not put save files or save folders inside a directory, unless it is the same directory the other Puppy version OS files are in.

If you put a save on some other location.

Place it on the other partition, but not inside any directory or folder.

The save search process is not going to look very deep into different directories for the save.
The name you give to a directory, you put a save in, could also confuse the search process.
It is coded to look for specific names. Like pup, puppy, save, or the name of the puppy version.
Example:
If you store the save inside a directory named puppysave.
The search process may think that directory is the save, and not look inside it, but try to use it as the save.

(this search process is constantly changing, with each new version of Puppy, and at that point in time, what someone coded it to do)
so keep storage location of the save as simple as you can.

Also, some processes in Puppy, really need to have a save already made, and boot using it.
Some have code in them, to not work, if there is no save to use.
Do not start asking which programs, just understand the need.

Forum Global Moderator

Governor

Post by Governor »

bigpup wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:42 am

Do not put save files or save folders inside a directory, unless it is the same directory the other Puppy version OS files are in.

If you put a save on some other location.

Place it on the other partition, but not inside any directory or folder.

The save search process is not going to look very deep into different directories for the save.
The name you give to a directory, you put a save in, could also confuse the search process.
It is coded to look for specific names. Like pup, puppy, save, or the name of the puppy version.
Example:
If you store the save inside a directory named puppysave.
The search process may think that directory is the save, and not look inside it, but try to use it as the save.

(this search process is constantly changing, with each new version of Puppy, and at that point in time, what someone coded it to do)
so keep storage location of the save as simple as you can.

Also, some processes in Puppy, really need to have a save already made, and boot using it.
Some have code in them, to not work, if there is no save to use.
Do not start asking which programs, just understand the need.

Well, I chose "pupsave" as the folder name and it is not in a subfolder. Is that good or bad?

The pupsave folder contains 2 files:

/mnt/nvme0n1p4/pupsave/fossapup64save-NVME_ext4
/mnt/nvme0n1p4/pupsave/fossapup64initmodules.txt

The text file contains:

i2c_hid,hid_multitouch

The only other folder is "/mnt/nvme0n1p4/lost+found"; I did not create it, and it is empty. There are no other files on that partition.

How do I get the bootloader to offer to load files in that folder on boot? My limine.cfg, which is on a separate FAT32 partition, looks like this:

QUIET=no
TIMEOUT=20
GRAPHICS=no
DEFAULT_ENTRY=1
EDITOR_ENABLED=yes
INTERFACE_BRANDING=EasyOS Limine Boot Manager

:Puppy Linux fossapup64 (partition nvme0n1p1, path fossapup64_9.5)
    PROTOCOL=linux
    KERNEL_PATH=fslabel://NVME main/fossapup64_9.5/vmlinuz
    MODULE_PATH=fslabel://NVME main/fossapup64_9.5/initrd.gz

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

fossapup64save-NVME_ext4 for the name of the save folder is causing some of the issue.

The boot process is looking for a specific name: fossapup64save
The name added after the - is what you add to it.
Keep that a simple added name.
Do not have the _ext4 in the name.

The save making process tells you to add to the name simple alpha numeric characters to it.
like: -somename12485

If you are going to only have one save.
Do not add anything to the name.
Keep it as simple as you can.

Forum Global Moderator

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

@Governor

This needs to be said:

What you're doing at this point is just plain silly.

I understand now that you learn things by trial and error to find out what works. But you're just making the same mistakes over and over and over and over, and never figuring it out, and the good people of the puppy forum are answering your questions over and over and over and over and over: viewtopic.php?p=75660#p75660

You've instisted on doing this the HARD way, without ever figuring out how to do it the EASY way. BAD MOVE for someone with your learning style. I would refrain from griping about your hardships, because they are all self-inflicted at this point.

I'm not going to find all the posts where your questions have been answered already, that's your responsibility.

To do it the HARD way:
1) Figure out what to do to make a save folder. Figure out how it has to be named and NOT be named to be found. Figure out where it has to be placed and NOT be placed to be found. Figure out how to point your bootloader to it. And if you need to ask a question in order to figure out those things. Go look at all of your long convoluted threads to find out if you've already been given the answer, and ask one simple intelligent question in a dedicated topic based on the information you find.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Governor

Post by Governor »

geo_c wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:44 pm

@Governor

This needs to be said:

What you're doing at this point is just plain silly.

I understand now that you learn things by trial and error to find out what works. But you're just making the same mistakes over and over and over and over, and never figuring it out, and the good people of the puppy forum are answering your questions over and over and over and over and over: viewtopic.php?p=75660#p75660

You've instisted on doing this the HARD way, without ever figuring out how to do it the EASY way. BAD MOVE for someone with your learning style. I would refrain from griping about your hardships, because they are all self-inflicted at this point.

I'm not going to find all the posts where your questions have been answered already, that's your responsibility.

To do it the HARD way:
1) Figure out what to do to make a save folder. Figure out how it has to be named and NOT be named to be found. Figure out where it has to be placed and NOT be placed to be found. Figure out how to point your bootloader to it. And if you need to ask a question in order to figure out those things. Go look at all of your long convoluted threads to find out if you've already been given the answer, and ask one simple intelligent question in a dedicated topic based on the information you find.

I am trying very hard, but many of the answers I received are not working for me, or work only temporarily. Some of my questions have not been answered, and some of the answers I just don't understand. The complicated answers I have not tried yet.

Governor

Post by Governor »

geo_c wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:44 pm

ask one simple intelligent question in a dedicated topic based on the information you find.

Today, I used the following apps successfully in Puppy:
I edited a sound file with Audacity and converted it to mp3. Used my NTFS thumb drive.
I used Firefox to upload the mp3 to a podcast.
I edited a few document files with LibreOffice and converted to pdf and uploaded them.
I created, edited and published a WordPress post with Firefox.
Yesterday, was very similar to today. I got a lot done.
It takes me 3-6 times as long to do anything that involves the file system (compared with pre-Linux), but I am still getting things done.
Most of my free time is spent on trying to understand Puppy and get things to work properly, or at all.

I appreciate all the people trying to help. Thank you and Merry Christmas !! :thumbup2:

Last edited by Governor on Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

How do I get the bootloader to offer to load files in that folder on boot?

Are you making savefolders or savefiles now?
Since you have located your savef* on a different partition, your "psave=" puppy boot parameter to find the savef* should include the full path

does your fossapup install folder have a README.txt ? lines 145 and following show example puppy parameters to include in the KERNEL_CMDLINE= of limine.cfg. Of course you will need to modify the example to reflect the specific nvme partition and your particular subfolder/savef* naming. you may find it useful to use the "e" function in limine to make onetime boot loader configuration changes in order to nail down the specific the path to your savef*

I will have to defer to bigpup to help you with the actual folder/ savef* naming, as my experience is more with easy/Limine and less with the fossapup init.

Merry Christmas

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:12 pm

How do I get the bootloader to offer to load files in that folder on boot?

Are you making savefolders or savefiles now?
Since you have located your savef* on a different partition, your "psave=" puppy boot parameter to find the savef* should include the full path

does your fossapup install folder have a README.txt ? lines 145 and following show example puppy parameters to include in the KERNEL_CMDLINE= of limine.cfg. Of course you will need to modify the example to reflect the specific nvme partition and your particular subfolder/savef* naming. you may find it useful to use the "e" function in limine to make onetime boot loader configuration changes in order to nail down the specific the path to your savef*

I will have to defer to bigpup to help you with the actual folder/ savef* naming, as my experience is more with easy/Limine and less with the fossapup init.

Merry Christmas

I found the readme.txt on my boot CD.

It says:

pupsfs=<partition>:<path>/<filename> Specifies the puppy...sfs file.
zdrv=<partition>:<path>/<filename>   Specifies the zdrv...sfs file.
fdrv=<partition>:<path>/<filename>   Specifies the fdrv...sfs file.
adrv=<partition>:<path>/<filename>   Specifies the adrv...sfs file.
ydrv=<partition>:<path>/<filename>   Specifies the ydrv...sfs file.
psave=<partition>:<path>/<filename>  Specifies the save layer file.

Where <partition> can be the name e.g sdb2, or a label e.g. Work, or a uuid
       e.g. 0db94719-cdf1-44b7-9766-23db62fb85a5
   When a label or uuid is used, only the beginning is required, enough to be unique on your system,
       e.g "pupsfs=0db94719-cdf1"

Where <path> is the sub-directory within the partition.
       e.g. "pupsfs=sdb2:/path/to/" or "psave=:/path/to/"
   Any specified <path> is relative to the root of the partition, the same as "psubdir=".
   If <path> does not start with a "/" then a "/" is prepended to it.
   If no <path> is specified, the directory defined by "psubdir=" is used.

Does this look right? I added the last line with psave to my limine.cfg.

QUIET=no
TIMEOUT=20
GRAPHICS=no
DEFAULT_ENTRY=1
EDITOR_ENABLED=yes

PROTOCOL=linux
    psave=<nvme0n1p4>:<fossapup64save>/

The folder looks like this in the file manager:
/mnt/nvme0n1p4/fossapup64save

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

the last line might work without the <...> , if placed on the KERNEL_CMDLINE

maybe:

KERNEL_CMDLINE=psubdir=fossapup64_9.5 pmedia=ataflash pfix=fsck  psave=nvme0n1p4:fossapup64save

see example line 182

or try it appending a / ie, psave=nvme0n1p4:fossapup64save/
line 184

puppy guys will know better about the exact syntax for the puppy init

Last edited by williwaw on Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:36 pm

I am trying very hard, but many of the answers I received are not working for me, or work only temporarily. Some of my questions have not been answered, and some of the answers I just don't understand. The complicated answers I have not tried yet.

First check out @williwaw's limine suggetions above. But you don't have to try them without clarifying first what you're thinking about doing. In other words you could basically look at his post carefully and express your understanding of what to do first, with a question about what you might not yet fully comprehend.

That will save you and @williwaw some time and energy.

I don't think I'm exagerating when I say that probably no one here has followed your posts as closely as me. I jumped into them early and have read them all, both questions and responses, suggestions etc.

Without going back through the thread, I'm going to try to sum up a couple of things for your perspective on what to do next.

Last I checked you have:

• a working limine bootloader on partion1-fat32 of nvme

• fossapup installed on very large partition2-fat32 of nvme

• pupsave file on very large partition2-fat32

• 14GB ext4 partition3 on nvme where you'd like to create a pupsave folder

• a desire to keep your fat32 partition2 nvme because fossapup is currently booting from it.

And I understand why you want to keep your fat32 fossapup, the reason is because it works.

So here's a way to transition, with the help of people who are familiar with limine:

running from a usb fossapup:

• shrink the very large fat32 partition2 on nvme to accomodate the next step below

• expand the 14GB ext4 partition3 nvme to at least something like 30GB but maybe even 150GB

• Run the fossapup installer, put a copy of fossapup on the expanded ext4 partition3

• Get help to configure limine to see both your fat32 fossapup, and your ext4 fossapup

What that does is give you an ext4 fossapup to boot and let the shutdown routine create a pupsave FOLDER in the DEFAULT location where that fossapup is running, which I believe is your goal now.

If limine is configured correctly you get a choice of both fossapups at boot. After using the ext4 fossapup, you will probably get comfortable with it.

Advantage? All the portables can be installed there, symlinks used by portables and appimages will work. You can write data if you make that partition big enough, and it will all show in /mnt/home.

addendum: one final thought here. Basically you're in too big a hurry. You've wasted a good month at least trying to do your 'real work' before getting a stable system in place. Slow down. Think about the next move, ask a few more thoughtful questions, meaning you've thought about what advice you've received and now have new more informed questions about it. Then think about the responses to the new questions, and then run the procedures. You're the one that will benefit, because your 'real work' will become more productive, and your changes will stick and grow.

geo_c

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:49 pm

maybe:

KERNEL_CMDLINE=psubdir=fossapup64_9.5 pmedia=ataflash pfix=fsck psave=nvme0n1p4:fossapup64save
see example line 182

line 184

Before I try that I really need to ask this (I apologize in advance):

When I open two files, why does the first file I opened completely disappear?

I want to open the readme.txt file and limine.cfg file simultaneously so I can position their separate windows together on the screen and see what I am working with and so I can copy/paste. Both files open automatically in "geany", but I can only see the second file opened; I can't find the file opened first anywhere. So, I ended up opening the readme.txt in geany, which has numbered lines, and I opened limine.cfg in LibreOffice. Is it true that geany can only open one file at a time?

Thanks!

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Governor wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:33 am

maybe:

KERNEL_CMDLINE=psubdir=fossapup64_9.5 pmedia=ataflash pfix=fsck psave=nvme0n1p4:fossapup64save
see example line 182

line 184

Before I try that I really need to ask this (I apologize in advance):

When I open two files, why does the first file I opened completely disappear?

I want to open the readme.txt file and limine.cfg file simultaneously so I can position their separate windows together on the screen and see what I am working with and so I can copy/paste. Both files open automatically in "geany", but I can only see the second file opened; I can't find the file opened first anywhere. So, I ended up opening the readme.txt in geany, which has numbered lines, and I opened limine.cfg in LibreOffice. Is it true that geany can only open one file at a time?

Thanks!

Open the limine.cfg with Geany by right-clicking it and selecting "Open as text" from the right-click menu. It doesn't open directly when clicked because the .cfg extention is probably not set as associated with geany by default.

Burunduk

Post by Burunduk »

Both files open automatically in "geany", but I can only see the second file opened; I can't find the file opened first anywhere.

Geany can open many files. If you don't see tabs, click geany menu View -> Toggle All Additional Widgets.

To show two text files side by side open them both in geany and click geany menu Tools -> Split Window -> Side by Side. Split window is a plugin and it should be enabled in the plugin manager.

Governor

Post by Governor »

geo_c wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:34 am
Governor wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:36 pm

8< ---------------
I'm going to try to sum up a couple of things for your perspective on what to do next.

Last I checked you have:

• a working limine bootloader on partion1-fat32 of nvme

• fossapup installed on very large partition2-fat32 of nvme

• pupsave file on very large partition2-fat32
    :!: I shrunk that partition down to 14GB

• 14GB ext4 partition3 on nvme where you'd like to create a pupsave folder

• a desire to keep your fat32 partition2 nvme because fossapup is currently booting from it.

And I understand why you want to keep your fat32 fossapup, the reason is because it works.

:!: Yes because it works. And because every portable app that I downloaded from the @mikewalsh NZ repository were corrupted when I copied them from ext4--->fat32--->ext4. Almost all of my satellite drives are fat32 and I do not want to put my files in jeopardy. I also had an important .rtf file trashed on my fat32 USB HDD when I opened it in Abiword. My plan is to keep my NVME internal drive as my main Puppy and once it works flawlessly, to create a thumb drive that is exactly the same when it boots up. Then, I want to be able to keep both NVME and thumb drive updated in parallel so that if I make changes on one, I can easily incorporate the changes on the other.

So here's a way to transition, with the help of people who are familiar with limine:
:!: I do not want to transition to ext2,3,4 for my main Puppy drive. My last resort is to convert the fat32 partitions on my NVME drive to NTFS: but only if there is less risk of file corruption in comparison with fat32. I prefer not to use NTFS due to it's hidden ADS or alternate date stream, but I would rather try that than go back to ext4, at least for now.

addendum: one final thought here. Basically you're in too big a hurry. You've wasted a good month at least trying to do your 'real work' before getting a stable system in place. Slow down. Think about the next move, ask a few more thoughtful questions, meaning you've thought about what advice you've received and now have new more informed questions about it. Then think about the responses to the new questions, and then run the procedures. You're the one that will benefit, because your 'real work' will become more productive, and your changes will stick and grow.

In an ideal world, yes, but I have work that must be done, and I can't wait until my computer is working properly. As long as it works well enough to accomplish some tasks I must use it regardless of how difficult it is. I just have to use 300% to 600% more time than expected. It is kind of like working on a car. You think it will take 30 minutes to change the spark plugs, but one spark plug breaks off in the engine block. So you must consult one or more experts, but it is Sunday and you cannot get hold of any. Perhaps you need to buy a special tool, but it's Sunday and the store that has it is closed and you are stuck without a car. So you have to find a place where you can rent a car, and also figure out how to get there. You may have to wait an hour for a bus. And, the rate at which things are rapidly worsening in the world, you may not be even be able to buy a ticket on the bus. Then you will have to call a taxi $$$.

Governor

Post by Governor »

Burunduk wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:33 am

Both files open automatically in "geany", but I can only see the second file opened; I can't find the file opened first anywhere.

Geany can open many files. If you don't see tabs, click geany menu View -> Toggle All Additional Widgets.

To show two text files side by side open them both in geany and click geany menu Tools -> Split Window -> Side by Side. Split window is a plugin and it should be enabled in the plugin manager.

I opened the package installer. I found and downloaded split-select_8.1.0+r23 from ubuntu-focal-universe and installed it. I hope that was the right package.
I right clicked on each file one at a time and chose "open as text". They both open in gearny, but the first file disappeared. I chose "toggle all additional widgets" in the View menu. When I click on split window and side by side, I get 2 windows with the same file, ie the 2nd file I opened is visible in both windows and the first file is not to be found. I also tried opening each file by clicking directly on the geany icon in the menu, and the result was the same.

Governor

Post by Governor »

maybe:

see example line 182

line 184

I now have this, but I have not tried booting with it yet, does it look correct?:

QUIET=no
TIMEOUT=20
GRAPHICS=no
DEFAULT_ENTRY=1
EDITOR_ENABLED=yes

PROTOCOL=linux
    psave=nvme0n1p4:fossapup64save/

It is a little disconcerting to see in my cfg file that Puppy is depending on volume or partition labels since they can be easily changed.
Can I change the other lines so they are similiar to the psave entry (without the volume label)?
If I reboot now with the changed cfg will I be offered the option of saving to the fossapup64save/ folder or must I wait until the next reboot?
When I reboot, will I be offered to restore a previous save?

In the savefolder "fossapup64save/" there are several subfolders: etc, initrd, lib, root, run, usr, var.
There is also one file: fossapup64initmodules.txt
I have 2 previous save files: fossapup64save-1-1.4fs and fossapup64save-1-1.4fs. Should I copy these files into the "fossapup64save/" folder?

Thanks!

Burunduk

Post by Burunduk »

Can you see tabs?

Geany's tabs
Geany's tabs
geany1.png (47.73 KiB) Viewed 839 times

The "Toggle All Additional Widgets" can show or hide the tabs row. This row should appear even if there is only one tab opened.

The split-select_8.1.0+r23 package is unrelated. The split window plugin should be installed by default. It seems it's working for you. To open a different document on the left, click the arrow button at the top:

Select other files
Select other files
geany2.png (58.75 KiB) Viewed 839 times

But if the same file is shown on both sides, it probably means that only one file is opened indeed. Maybe you've opened the other file in a separate geany window, then this second window should appear in the puppy task bar.

Governor

Post by Governor »

Burunduk wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:57 am

Can you see tabs?

geany1.png

The "Toggle All Additional Widgets" can show or hide the tabs row. This row should appear even if there is only one tab opened.

The split-select_8.1.0+r23 package is unrelated. The split window plugin should be installed by default. It seems it's working for you. To open a different document on the left, click the arrow button at the top:

geany2.png

But if the same file is shown on both sides, it probably means that only one file is opened indeed. Maybe you've opened the other file in a separate geany window, then this second window should appear in the puppy task bar.

Yes, I see the tabs. I have 2 files open: limine.cfg and readme.txt.
Split Window shows the same file on both sides.

Wait a minute.... I just discovered that when the same file is shown in the split window, if I click on the tab that is not open in the window, it opens in one of the windows so both files are now visible each in it's own window!
Success!!

Last edited by Governor on Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

some1

Post by some1 »

I am on windows atm :)
but as I recall - in Geany:
Try (Top) Menu/File/Recent Files

--------
--------
@Burunduk:
Success!!

Last edited by some1 on Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Governor

Post by Governor »

some1 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:44 am

I am on windows atm :)
but as I recall - in Geany:
Try (Top) Menu/File/Recent Files

That's useful. Thanks.

some1

Post by some1 »

You seem to be on a time-constraint -
so choose your problems wisely :) -
and stay cool.
Amaziing how much help one can get on this Forum.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:36 am

I want to be able to keep both NVME and thumb drive updated in parallel so that if I make changes on one, I can easily incorporate the changes on the other.

running both ext4 is the most sensible path to acheive that end.

I just have to use 300% to 600% more time than expected.

No, you don't have to. This is how you're choosing to do it.

You're trying to retrofit Chrysler parts into a Toyota. It's costing a lot more, taking up a huge amount of time, and won't ever perform as well as waiting for the Toyota part to arrive tomorrow.

geo_c

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:36 am

:!: Yes because it works. And because every portable app that I downloaded from the @mikewalsh NZ repository were corrupted when I copied them from ext4--->fat32--->ext4.

@mikewalsh's portables make use of linux symlinks. Unix symlinks don't have functionality on fat32. And don't copy back and forth reliably. I don't know about ntfs but I think it's the same. When the portable runs from another location outside the pupsave, it symlinks the profile and config folders from inside the root directory to where it's located. If you want them to work well, use ext4. I got you booting from an ext4 USB thumb drive using grub4dos early on, remember? It's not hard. That was your best install so far. You could set up a USB ext4 fossapup in 10 minutes.

Almost all of my satellite drives are fat32 and I do not want to put my files in jeopardy.

All that's necessary to use fat32 is learn which files to put on fat32. Just data for instance, not linux systems and linked files. You already found out that Audacity won't let you use fat32.

:!: I do not want to transition to ext2,3,4 for my main Puppy drive. My last resort is to convert the fat32 partitions on my NVME drive to NTFS: but only if there is less risk of file corruption in comparison with fat32. I prefer not to use NTFS due to it's hidden ADS or alternate date stream, but I would rather try that than go back to ext4, at least for now.

My suggestion last night is a whole lot easier than what you're talking about here. My method leaves your present boot structure in tact, and let's you work with an all ext4 puppy, while still having the Chrysler frankenstien boot you're trying to create in the garage to take for a Sunday drive when you're feeling risky.

Even on ntfs, you're stuck with save FILES instead of save FOLDERS. They're slower, fixed in size which must be monitored, and easier to screw up. They work though and are amazing for people who don't want to touch their windows install and still boot puppy off the same drive. That's not your circumstance however, so there's not a good reason to hamstring yourself.

Last edited by geo_c on Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

geo_c

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

One last thought.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your most recent desire was to run fossapup from a fat32 partition and load a pupsave FOLDER from an ext4 partition.

If you have to have an ext4 partition for the pupsave FOLDER, why not just put fossapup on it and load them BOTH from that partition? The pupsave is where you are WRITING system (and some data) files that you are concerned about corrupting. Fossapup running from the same partition as your pupsave FOLDER makes boot parameters way simpler, and limits any issues that applications might have writing and working with files across partition types. You could save all your application project files on ext4 and output or copy data files wherever you'd like.

Also, the way to move your current pupsave settings from say nvme to USB, is simply copy the whole pupsave FOLDER from one to another. Then the two systems are identical, and you have a backup. But you have to have the folder on ext4 first.

You never need to have nvme fossapup load a pupsave FOLDER from USB or vice versa. Just copy the folder from one device to the other. This is how I have identical fossapup systems, and I mean identical in every respect with my latest changes, on 8-10 different installs.

Last edited by geo_c on Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

My take on the matter is quite simple. If you insist on sticking with FAT32 and NTFS then - at least as far as Linux is concerned - you will just have one problem after another.

This tells me that you're still firmly wedded to Windows, and are applying Windows thinking to your Linux issues.....probably because that's what you've always been used to.

By not using the appropriate file-systems, and setting Puppy up the proper way, you're not giving Puppy a chance to truly shine, and really demonstrate what it's capable of. Yes, as @geo_c says, the save-file system DOES work, but it's something of a mediocre experience at best, and needs an awful lot more TLC & monitoring to keep it functioning as it should.

(At one time, the save-file was the only available option. Since the development of the save-folder, Puppy has become more versatile than ever.)

-------------------------------------------------------

Rather than keep complaining that nothing we produce in this community works properly - which it won't with FAT32, given that Puppy uses sym-links quite a lot - my suggestion to you would be to get yourself an older, pre-UEFI, i.e, MBR BIOS lappie or something similar.....and set Puppy up correctly on that. You'll get a far better experience than you have to date, because setting up a USB to try & work with absolutely everything in this age of UEFI is like navigating a minefield, even now. Many prefer to keep Windows & Linux separate for this very reason. Decent cheap laptops that work well with Linux are ten-a-penny on places like eBay. My own recently purchased Dell Latitude refurb set me back around £50, and for that I've got an easy-to-maintain laptop which will run most modern Pups AND all the software you could wish for.

If you eventually decide to give it up as a bad job and return to Windows full-time, no-one here will think any the worse of you for doing so. You certainly aren't the first, and I very much doubt you'll be the last.

Linux isn't for everyone. Some people just can't get on with it. We all understand that.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Beginners Help”