The Debian-Live Daedalus Starter Kit

Moderator: fredx181

soniabu

Re: The Debian-Live Bullseye Starter Kit

Post by soniabu »

(I asked the question in the wrong post, I apologize.)

yes yes CamPhoneTab, the (.deb) version 1.8; deb downloaded from your first one here and installed on Bionicpup32 19.3
As said CamPhoneTab asks me for the mount of tablet - connect in MTP mode - but then it waits there without showing me the folders of the tablet; I can just close and reactivate it.
P.S.
instead, when I want to transfer photos from the tablet to the Bionicpup32, I connect the tablet in 'photo transfer' mode (FTP) and Bionicpup32 activates the 'pupcamera access digital cameras / cellphone' application which quietly shows me only the photo folder of the tablet from which I transfer to the PC . Keep in mind that with this last solution (pup-camera-access) I can still transfer the files as well as the photos only that while doing it correctly it signals me an error with the files. I point out all this only because I believe that you are the author of CamPhoneTab which works very well on bionicpup64. Only on my little sister's Bionicpup32 19.3 does it have the described problem. Anyway thanks RC but don't rush to solve the problem if it's just me who reported it.
hello sonia

Last edited by soniabu on Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

On your Bionic32 computer, open a terminal and type: camphonetab

Select Camera mode and try to mount the tablet.

You should get an error message like "pcmanfm not found".

This is because your .deb package was designed for use in the Starter Kit which uses pcmanfm as its file manager. But in Bionic32, the file manager is rox.

Open a terminal and type: ln -sf rox /usr/local/bin/pcmanfm

Try camphonetab again.

You should be having the same problem in Bionic64.

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

wonderful RCrsn I have executed the commands recommended to the letter
in the suggested sequence and now - as if by magic - everything works regularly.
Thanks Rcrsn, as always asking you for a hand is a guarantee of success.
ciao sonia :thumbup2:

rcrsn51

WlanMaker

Post by rcrsn51 »

WlanMaker v2.4 is posted here. It has a new user interface to make it consistent with how RouterMaker works.

If you have an old version, please read the new instructions.

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

PeasyPDF updated here.

rcrsn51

ISObooter

Post by rcrsn51 »

I have moved ISObooter to the Deblive Multi Installer section on Page 1. I plan to incorporate the ISObooter code into the Installer.

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote:

No interest. Removed.

What's useful about it to remove it ?: https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 958#p62958 Pity. There always could have been interest later...

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

fredx181 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:41 pm

There always could have been interest later...

In the world of professional software development, that's not how beta-testing works.

wiak

Post by wiak »

rcrsn51 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:58 pm
fredx181 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:41 pm

There always could have been interest later...

In the world of professional software development, that's not how beta-testing works.

No it is not. But that statement makes it even more obvious why the approach doesn't work or apply here. Are you being paid for your services to this forum, is anyone here being paid for their contributions and help, are these 'beta-testers' being paid - is everyone developing and testing and providing feedback here doing so as 'professionals' (no matter how professional they are)?

This is a hobby-site, but that doesn't mean the contributions aren't useful (more useful than Microsoft's offerings come to that).

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@rcrsn51 This is how the "pros" do it and it's considered as a usual move in professional software development?

Huh....no wonder I do set lighting for the movie/television industry. (and putting up with those wacky Hollywood type A's from production to the talent, otherwise known as "show me the money")

But as @wiak has mentioned....I just might be a step above being crazy and have moved on to complete madness.

rcrsn51

VNC remote desktop sharing with audio

Post by rcrsn51 »

This is a continuation of a Starter Kit project from two years ago. Video is handled with the VNC protocol and audio is via trx. It uses OOTB components.

1a. On the server machine (the remote computer whose screen you want to share), install the package: tigervnc-scraping-server
1b. On the client (local) machine, install the package: tigervnc-viewer
1c. On both machines, install the package trx-bullseye_1.3_all.deb attached below.

[Update] Package withdrawn for maintenance.

2a. On the server machine, start the VNC server from a terminal with: x0vncserver --localhost no
2b. You will be asked to set a password for the server. Or you can run the separate command: vncpasswd
2c. Get the IP address of the server machine.

3a. On the local machine, start the VNC Viewer app from the Internet menu. It will ask for the IP address of the server. If you have forgotten it, run PeasyPort and scan for port 5900.
3b. Enter the server IP as: aaa.bbb.cc.dd:0

4. You should now have a window showing the remote machine's desktop with full keyboard/mouse control. If you don't need audio, stop here. For audio, continue to Step 5.

5a. In the remote machine window, open a terminal on its desktop and run: trx-tx-start
5b. It will ask for the "Receiver IP". This is the IP address of the local machine to which the server's audio will be transferred.
5c. Note the message "Leave this window open or minimized ... stop with Ctrl-C ..."

6. On the local machine, open a terminal and run: trx-rx-start

7. In the remote machine window, start an app with audio. Listen on the local machine.

8. When done, stop the server's audio transfer with Ctrl-C. This restores the server's .asoundrc file to its original.

-----------------------

Note: If you forget Step 8, run trx-tx-start again, but just press Enter.
Or run this command on the server machine: cp /root/.asoundrc.reset /root/.asoundrc

Note: If the remote machine plays through its own speakers instead of sending audio to the local machine, you probably need a slight modification to its ALSA setup. Ask for help.

------------------------------

Hint: On each machine, copy its trx-start script from /usr/local/bin onto the desktop. You can then launch it quickly by clicking on the icon and selecting "Execute in terminal".

Hint: Use Gnetcat to transfer files between client and server.

Hint: Use ssh to start the VNC server remotely from the client machine.

Hint: This system might also work in recent Puppies like Jammy that have the trx package in their parent distro.

-------------------

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rcrsn51

RDP remote desktop with audio

Post by rcrsn51 »

1a. On the remote server machine, install the packages: xrdp xorgxrdp
1b. On the local client machine, install the viewer package: rdesktop
1c. On both machines, install the package trx-bullseye_1.3_all.deb attached above.

2a. The xrdp server auto-starts on Port 3389. You don't need a separate command to launch it.
2b. You can control the server with: /etc/init.d/xrdp start|stop|restart
2c. Get the IP address of the server machine.

3a. On the client machine, launch the RDP viewer from the command line with: rdesktop aaa.bbb.cc.dd
3b. Login to the server with the username:password of a user defined on the server machine. Use root:root.
3c. If the server window does not fit properly on the client screen, start the viewer with a specific window size, like: rdesktop -g 800x600 aaa.bbb.cc.dd

4. For audio transfer from server to client, use the trx procedure described above.

5. This server can also be accessed from a Windows Remote Desktop client (video only).

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rcrsn51

An RDP client for Puppy with audio

Post by rcrsn51 »

The attached PET contains the trx-rx code that receives audio from the above RDP server. It is designed for Bionicpup64, but see below for Fossapup64.

[Update] Package withdrawn for maintenance.

1. On the Bionic client machine, get two packages from the PPM: rdesktop libortp9

2. Start the RDP server and client as described above.

3. Run the trx-start scripts on the server and client as described above.

----------------

For Fossapup64, get the package libortp13 and make this symlink:

Code: Select all

cd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
ln -sf libortp.so.13 libortp.so.9

----------------

spotted

Post by spotted »

@ hi rcrsn51
I am curious how 'palemoon in guest' works to improve security. Not too technician, just how, why it works, thanks.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

spotted wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:58 am

@ hi rcrsn51
I am curious how 'palemoon in guest' works to improve security. Not too technician, just how, why it works, thanks.

From what I understand, IF any malware comes in through the browser, then it cannot not affect the system (owned by root mostly) because user 'guest' (running the browser as) is an unprivileged user having only access to /home/guest .
Similar to user 'spot' in Puppy .
EDIT: Try for example downloading a file with "palemoon as guest" to a folder owned by 'root', it won't work, permission denied.

spotted

Post by spotted »

A big thank you Fredx, 'Similar to user 'spot' in Puppy' thats what I like to see. Thats what I was hoping to see, thanks again.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

spotted wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:34 am

A big thank you Fredx, 'Similar to user 'spot' in Puppy' thats what I like to see. Thats what I was hoping to see, thanks again.

Because DD is a real multi-user system, you can have a locked down"guest" id like spot without a desktop running from root, a regular user like "puppy" in the sudo and wheel groups with a desktop that tortures you by making you uselessly type in your password over and over like a regular linux distro, and a locked down user with a desktop that can't run any commands that need sudo at all (if you set it up yourself).

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Would have liked to try the trx package in conjunction with rdp.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

ISObooter is updated on Page 1. It fixes a problem with recent Puppies in BIOS mode.

rcrsn51

Broadcom and Intel WiFi driver firmware

Post by rcrsn51 »

Broadcom WiFi devices are handled by two Linux drivers: the in-kernel b43 driver and the vendor-supplied wl driver. B43 is a reliable driver that handles many Broadcom models, but it needs firmware which is NOT included in the Starter Kit ISO. A few models do NOT work with b43 and require wl. Read here. The wl driver must be compiled separately for each kernel version. It is included in the combo-wifi-driver-pack for the current Starter Kit kernel.

I have attached below two firmware packages for b43. The squashfs module can be auto-loaded at bootup by dropping it into the "live" folder of your Starter Kit setup. Or use the .deb file and right-click-install it. Reboot to activate the WiFi device.

After downloading these packages, remove the fake extension from the filename.

As always, the standard diagnostic test for missing firmware is: dmesg | grep -i firmware

Update: Some newer Broadcom WiFi adapters, like in SOC units, are handled by the in-kernel brcmfmac driver. Read here. This device may not appear in lspci, so look in dmesg. See the above diagnostic test.

The brcmfmac driver needs firmware from the Debian package firmware-brcm80211. Either install it directly or make a squashfs module with apt2sfs.

-----------------

The firmware package for the Intel iwlwifi driver is MUCH larger. Read here for details. Download a squashfs model from here. This is an older package that does not support the newest Intel models. Using a machine with Internet access, you can build your own updated squashfs module using apt2sfs and the Debian package named firmware-iwlwifi.

----------------

Attachments
firmware-broadcom-b43_1.0_all.squashfs.sfs
Remove the fake .sfs extension
(344 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
firmware-broadcom-b43_1.0_all.deb.gz
Remove the fake .gz extension
(141.97 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

I have posted here a new hplip-print-scan package. It supports HP models up to Nov 2022.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

PeasyCUPS Printer Control

When you install a network printer in CUPS, it is identified by the IP address that it gets from your router's DHCP system. If your network eventually resets, the printer's IP address may change and it will stop working. So you must reinstall the printer using the new IP on each client machine.

The permanent solution is to give the printer a static IP address. Most modern printers can do this through their own control panel or internal web interface. Some routers let you assign a fixed IP address to each device on your network.

If you don't want to bother with static IP, PeasyCUPS provides an alternative. Instead of installing the printer in CUPS by IP address, use a hostname. Then add an entry to /etc/hosts with the IP address and the name. When the address changes, you need only update the hosts file.

For example, the printer's original URI in CUPS might be "socket://192.168.2.12". Change it to "socket://HP-M127FN" and add the hosts entry "192.168.2.12 HP-M127FN".

To locate the new IP address, use the PeasyCUPS "Scan network for printers" tool. Or use PeasyPort and scan for ports 515,631,9100. Then use "Edit /etc/hosts".

Occasionally, CUPS will install a printer by its internal name. If so, locate its IP address and add the corresponding line to the hosts file. Some Brother printers are installed using the lpd:// protocol and a hostname. Scan for port 515 to find the IP address.

Look for PeasyCUPS in the Internet menu.

Update: Project temporarily withdrawn for maintenance. If anyone wants the latest version, they should post a request.

Hints:

1. Once you start working with network printing, you should give each machine on your LAN a unique hostname instead of "live". Put the name in /etc/hostname and reboot.

2. If you are installing a vendor printer driver, you may now need the additional package "libcupsimage2". It has been removed from the basic CUPS install because the CUPS developers want to eliminate vendor drivers in favour of AirPrint technology!

---------------------

out.jpg
out.jpg (35.4 KiB) Viewed 2723 times

---------------------------

Driverless Printing in CUPS with AirPrint

The conventional way to install a printer in Linux involves going to the vendor website, locating a driver package for your model and hoping that it is compatible with your system. The developers of CUPS are working to remove this headache by using the standardized driver technology built into many modern wireless printers.

This "driverless" capability is called AirPrint. In the Linux world, it is called "IPP Everywhere". Here is a procedure for using these printers.

1. Since the printer is acting as a server, each computer becomes a client. The client requires a CUPS install AND the two extra packages
"avahi-daemon" and "avahi-utils". It does NOT need a specific printer driver package.

2. Start PeasyCUPS. As a test, run PeasyPort and scan your network for port 631. It should identify the AirPrint-capable printer by its IP address. Non-AirPrint units may be detected on Port 9100 and can be installed using the regular CUPS AppSocket/JetDirect protocol with a driver.

3. Open the AirPrint tab and run "Scan Network for Airprinters". You may need to try several times before the printer is detected.

4. Select "Run ippfind". This will locate the AirPrinter and return its URI. Leave this window open.

5. Run "Install an AirPrinter in CUPS". Select a one-word nickname for the printer, like "DeskJet-2655-AirPrint". Paste in the URI. Click OK.

6. Check /etc/hosts. There should be a new entry for the printer containing its IP address and hostname.

7. Launch the CUPS web interface in a browser and open the Printers section. Your printer should be listed. Print a test page.

8. Run an application and print something.

------------

AirScan

Your AirPrint-capable unit probably also has driverless scanning ability. This is easy in Linux - the new versions of SANE include the "escl" backend. It detects the wireless scanner and works automatically with PeasyScan. If escl does not work well, get the package "sane-airscan".
Both of these backends require avahi-daemon to be running.

------------------

Sharing a Local Printer

If you have a USB-attached local printer, you can share it over the network using avahi.

1. Give the computers on your LAN different hostnames. Avahi will get confused if everyone is named "live".

2. On the server computer, run CUPS and declare the printer to be shared in the usual two places. If avahi-daemon is running, that's all the setup you need.

3. On the client, install avahi-daemon, avahi-utils and PeasyCUPS. Locate and install the remote printer just like it was a standalone AirPrinter.

------------------------

AirPrint over WiFi Direct

An AirPrint-capable unit should also work with WiFi Direct - you can access the printer directly without needing a home WiFi network or a printer driver. Assuming that you know the printer's WiFi Direct password, use your WiFi connection app to join the printer's network. Run "Scan network for AirPrinters" and do the above CUPS setup.

------------------------

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:19 pm, edited 12 times in total.
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

This is PeasyPrint v4.4. It has some updates to be compatible with modern AirPrint units. The original instructions are here.

Hint: to preview a print job, select the "To PDF" option. View the PDF file in /tmp.

xscreenshot-20221213T093552.png
xscreenshot-20221213T093552.png (65.32 KiB) Viewed 3889 times

--------------------------

Attachments
peasyprint_4.4_all.deb.gz
Remove the fake .gz extension
(8.07 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

PeasyCUPS updated to v1.4 above. Some testing and feedback would be nice.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I am going to replace the current version I am using with this 1.4 on the machines involved right now with my HP F4500 printer.
A report some time tomorrow will follow.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

The Isobooter and DebLive Multi Installer both worked perfectly for me installing a multi-boot with Windows and setting up usb drives.

viewtopic.php?t=8299

rcrsn51

Re: The Debian-Live Daedalus Starter Kit

Post by rcrsn51 »

The next generation of the Starter Kit project is based on Devuan Daedalus. See Page 1 of this thread.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:59 am

The next generation of the Starter Kit project is based on Devuan Daedalus. See Page 1 of this thread.

Thanks, mirror here

Do you perhaps have any thoughts about the problem of system freeze when changing resolution ?, see viewtopic.php?p=89039#p89039 (and further).
And @dancytron has a problem too with the latest kernel, but different.
For me it happens when firmware-misc-nonfree is installed.
It is installed by default on your starter-kit and I'm experiencing the same system freeze when trying to change resolution (that is on my very new ASUS laptop, no such problem on my very old HP laptop).

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

@fredx181 If dancytron has AMD graphics, he should check that the package firmware-amd-graphics is installed. I have a newish AMD machine and it runs OK at max resolution.

Do you have Intel graphics? I compared the versions of firmware-misc-nonfree in Bullseye and Bookworm. A bunch of new i915 stuff has been added. Maybe they are already building drivers to be compatible with Wayland over Xorg.

At least you can solve the problem with a custom xorg.conf file.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Yes, intel graphics VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 605 (rev 06), I tested with the firmware-misc-nonfree from Bullseye and also from Buster, same problem when changing resolution.
Also tested booting with the initrd.img (live-boot) and no problem, so I now have concerns about the porteus-boot method, seems to me that some change is needed for the initrd1.xz.

EDIT: oh, definitely has to do with intel, when I remove the i915 folder from lib/firmware (from firmware-misc-nonfree installed), then, after reboot, there's no problem anymore.

Return to “Debian-Live Starter Kit”