Grub VMLinuz not found (solved)

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

coffee

Grub VMLinuz not found (solved)

Post by coffee »

Hi! I install puppy linux fossapup64-9.5 in Local Disk C: using Lick alongside my windows10 and when I reboot, Grub command shows telling need to load kernel first. Then I follow how to load kernel but showing error vmlinuz not found. Im a total newbie in this dual boot thing. Please see the attached pic I think its missing some files.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

PS.
Secure Boot=Disabled
Fast boot=Disabled

Image Image

Last edited by bigpup on Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added solved to subject to show fix was found
williwaw

Re: Grub VMLinuz not found

Post by williwaw »

coffee wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:28 pm

Hi! I install puppy linux fossapup64-9.5 in Local Disk C: using Lick............Im a total newbie in this dual boot thing.

Hi coffee.

are you new to dual booting linux with windows on your C: drive?
or new to trying any type of puppy on your machine?

One way to "dual boot" is to leave your C: drive alone and installing puppy on a different disk, usually a USB

welcome

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@coffee let me also say :welcome: to the forum

I also would recommend trying out booting from a USB drive, if your machine can do that. I think only much older machines can't boot from a USB port.

This way as mentioned above, there would be no need to put it on the c: drive to start with.

I have had success with a little older machines of the Widows XP - Windows 7 era with install another MBR bootloader using Grub4Dos on the NTFS drive partition. Then using the menu.lst to boot from Puppy Linux that is installed in a directory on the NTFS partition along side Windows or with a Chainload +1 command put control back to the Windows bootloader that is still present.

Works great for me. Keep in mind that these are not UEFI boot systems but pure legacy BIOS

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

I too :welcome: coffee to the Kennels. Like rockedge, I also recommend that you first try by installing fossapup to a USB-Key. I note that coffee has a Windows 10 computer, which certainly employs UEFI. But coffee, you didn't tell us anything about your computer, e.g. make, model, graphics card. Puppys aren't perfect. There are some computers they struggle with. There's little point to installing any operating system to your hard-drive if the expenditure of time and effort (including clean-up of a non-functional system) exceeds the benefits of having that operating system. Once you have a functional Puppy, the world's your oyster. Puppys builtin tools will usually enable you to accomplish what you want.

Lick isn't perfect either. Personally, from Windows, I prefer using rufus (specifically and importantly version 3.17) and using its GUI to select the 'create persistence' option. I choose to size the persistence partition as the entire amount Rufus suggests is available, less 2Gbs. See the post here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 499#p66499

IIRC, in some cases rufus may offer to download an ISO. [But maybe I'm thinking about LinuxLive USB-Creator which is not recommended for UEFI computers]. But I suggest that you download the ISO again.. It's possible that you had a bad download: it's unusual for any boot-loader to be unable to find vmlinuz. Just remember where you downloaded your ISO so you can point rufus to it.

coffee

Post by coffee »

Thanks for the welcome guys😁
You see I already have usb bootable fossapup but I want to install it in internal drive so I dont need to plug the usb always just frugal install. I tried to install it from there but my ssd cannot be mount it is grayed out, that's why I came up using Lick seeing it seems easier to install fossapup with it but I guess not.

I am new to linux thus with this puppy and dual boot.

Acer Swift 3 Intel UHD 620 graphics
12gb RAM 240gb SSD
Windows10

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Was Windows 10 fully shutdown as a normal shutdown?

If no.

DO NOT SHUTDOWN IN HIBERNATE MODE!!!

Hibernate will not release complete control of the drive.

Maybe also, completely power off computer, after running Windows 10.

Then do a power on boot, to the menu you should see, to select booting Fossapup or Windows.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

coffee

Post by coffee »

bigpup wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:42 pm

Was Windows 10 fully shutdown as a normal shutdown?

If no.

DO NOT SHUTDOWN IN HIBERNATE MODE!!!

Hibernate will not release complete control of the drive.

Maybe also, completely power off computer, after running Windows 10.

Then do a power on boot, to the menu you should see, to select booting Fossapup or Windows.

I tried all night pc turned off and use in the morning still grub showing when selected the lick bootloader

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Did you do a normal shutdown of Windows 10?

Try doing the install again using Lick.

Found this reported problem seems similar to yours:
https://github.com/noryb009/lick/issues/40

I guess best place to bring up your issue, would be on that web site.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

coffee

Post by coffee »

I just wanted to update this. My problem's solved thanks for showing me the lick forum the admin there gave me idea. Its because of Bitlocker Encryption in my SSD so I deactivated it. :thumbup:

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, coffee, for posting the solution. Bitlocker Encryption. Another hurdle to be aware of. :evil:

wiak

Post by wiak »

mikeslr wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:31 pm

Thanks, coffee, for posting the solution. Bitlocker Encryption. Another hurdle to be aware of. :evil:

Just saw this.

Yes, my laptop came with Bitlocker Encryption. I can confirm that to install KLV-Airedale and other distros on it I also first removed Bitlocker Encryption from its internal nvme SSD drive since I expected that would mess things up otherwise.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Return to “Beginners Help”