Question about Firefox configuration

For discussions about security.
williwaw

Question about Firefox configuration

Post by williwaw »

when you try to use google to search on firefox, and get this, does it mean firefox is configured correctly?

capture4751.png
capture4751.png (43.63 KiB) Viewed 944 times
Flash

Re: Question about Firefox configuration

Post by Flash »

I've been using Google from Firefox for many years and I've never seen anything like that. What's the full URL it came from?

Chaos coordinator :?
cobaka

Post by cobaka »

Hello all:
I have seen this message when typing directly into the google translation engine. I have not seen it when pasting text blocks of text into the same web-address. I tried this a few moments ago but did not generate the response you refer to below.

Hope this comment helps.

собака.

Final comment: I am using the chromium browser at the moment, so the test may give a different result from FF.

собака --> это Русский --> an old dog
"so-baka" (not "co", as in coast or crib).

Trapster

Post by Trapster »

This happens to me when I'm using a VPN.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Flash wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:13 am

What's the full URL it came from?

entering www.google.com into the url bar of an unconfigured instance of firefox with no previous cache.
it redirected to the page shown with the url as shown in the bottom of the screenshot.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Using TOR in FIrefox will bring this page up when trying search requests at Google. Use of a VPN will also generate this page.

puppy_apprentice

Post by puppy_apprentice »

If You have dynamic IP (or use VPN or Tor) it's very possible that someone had the same IP before you and made huge amount of requests.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

could be when my router acquires a new address from the ISP. it doesn't happen all the time, but I don't often use google either.

maybe they need to get to know me better before I get served,
but what is the harm in serving anyone, even vpn users? not like their search results are secrets

puppy_apprentice

Post by puppy_apprentice »

williwaw wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:45 am

could be when my router acquires a new address from the ISP. it doesn't happen all the time, but I don't often use google either.

Maybe you share your connection with to many users?
I have this problem with Google from time to time. It is dynamic IP problem (i use usb dongle for connection). Sometimes some services call me a spammer. I think that they sometimes check nationality (or part of IP that specifies provider) of IP address and apply the collective responsibility.

8Geee

Post by 8Geee »

The OP looks like aa bare naked FF setup. NOT recommended for anything GOOGLE related. At least no autocomplete, no geo, no SSL unless Sha256 or ChaCha, no screensharing. Autocomplete is also disguised as typeaheadfind. I would add uBlock, Clear URL, CSSexfil, and decentraleyes.

Money talks... no, it shouts, so that it doesn't have to hear common sense.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

8Geee wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:11 pm

The OP looks like aa bare naked FF setup. NOT recommended for anything GOOGLE related. At least no autocomplete, no geo, no SSL unless Sha256 or ChaCha, no screensharing. Autocomplete is also disguised as typeaheadfind. I would add uBlock, Clear URL, CSSexfil, and decentraleyes.

What I do is run LibreWolf all the time with uBlock (and now I added ClearURL, CSSexfil, and decentraleys) and when I want to use anything google related I fire up Ungoogled Chromium portable. But the only time I use google is when I have to access a shared doc on googledocs. Everytime I access my google account this way I get an email notification saying I should authenticate my unknown linux device using two-factor auth, which of course I don't do. That is somewhat assuring that I'm not having all my browsing keystrokes logged by them when using LibreWolf.

Still, who knows, google is vicious. If I have to use captcha occassionally, so be it. Though doesn't it feel like doing a sobriety test when you're cold sober? Very demeaning IMHO.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Return to “Security”