Discord-'portable'...now @ v0.0.18

Moderator: Forum moderators

Zedward

Re: Discord-'portable'...now @ v0.0.18

Post by Zedward »

It is obvious that PaleMoon will not cope with such task as Discord :( Recommend a browser to solve the problem of using Discord on a weak computer, please (Puppy Bionical 32bit).

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Zedward wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:37 pm

It is obvious that PaleMoon will not cope with such task as Discord :( Recommend a browser to solve the problem of using Discord on a weak computer, please (Puppy Bionical 32bit).

Hm. I can't say I'm surprised. Pale Moon doesn't have built-in support for WebRTC - it's against their development 'policy', apparently, and takes them in a direction they do NOT want their browser to go - and WebRTC is a key component for Discord to work.

Um. Uh-huh. A browser that will run OK with Bionicpup32.....and will allow you to run Discord. (*Scratches head*) Let me have a think....

Right. I would recommend taking a look at the 'legacy', final 32-bit build of Slimjet. I built this in 'portable', self-contained format, as I have with several other browsers. I run a few 32-bit Puppies myself; some will run this browser direct, and some will run it from a Puppy 'chroot' built from a newer Puppy. I run Discord in it, and it will even handle the Skype webapp, too. It's one of the very few 32-bit browsers that will.

It's a 'legacy' version because Slimjet, like many other browser developers, stopped building 32-bit versions of their browser between 15-18 months ago. Most browser developers have done the same, and generally offer 64-bit ONLY now.

-----------------------------------

I'm going to request you give us the same information that mikeslr asked for. I, too, am curious as to why you picked a 32-bit Puppy. If you could let us know your computer's specs; make, model, CPU, amount of RAM, HDD, GPU, etc, etc., then it will make it an awful lot simpler to help you do what you want to do. IF your machine is 32-bit ONLY, then you don't have much choice in the matter. If, however, your machine should turn out to have a 64-bit processor & architecture, then this alone opens up a sea of possibilities.

(We're not mind-readers, y'know.....and we're not there with you, either, looking over your shoulder. We only know what you tell us.....)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Zedward

Post by Zedward »

Thank you for SlimJet! Now I can use Discord. Still having some troubles with video, but pupil can read chats.
Advise something to run Zoom, please.
We have got old computers to our village school, P4 2,4 Ggz (1 core) and 512 Mb RAM onboardm IDE 40 Gb. WinXP run on them very slowly, I examined some Linuxes. New Fossapup-64 was slow, when I launched it, and we found that Puppy Bionical 32bit is the fastest one. I know about 64 bit architecture, advise please another small and fast Puppy.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Of the 32bit Puppies, dpup-stretch, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=319 remains my favorite. Of a slightly older 'vintage' than Bionicpup32, it should have similar capabilities; maybe requiring less RAM.

Another possibility is the 32bit version of Xenialpup, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=177. It's about the same vintage as dpup-stretch. [The newer the 'vintage', the larger the core-infrastructure and applications which will have some effect on the RAM/CPU usage and responsivenes].

But you can't go too far back and still run modern web-facing applications. And while Puppys which are binary-compatible to slackware (Slackos) may result in superior sound and graphics, fulfilling modern web-facing application's dependencies can be between PITA and impossible. That said, you could try Slacko 5.7.2CE, https://www.mediafire.com/folder/qs5aaidclm5im/ which is my remaster of Slacko 5.7.1 so as to include all the available system and dependency updates thru February 2019. [Just discovered that the link to it on the 'old forum' got lost in the transition. Will have to rectify that.] But I doubt it will support the applications you want.

FWIW, I suggest creating a SwapFile or Swap(partition). Menu>System>gparted can be used to create a Swap(partition) but it will require that you resize an existing partition (unless you have 'unallocated' space which isn't likely. Although I keep forgetting how, :( , bigpup's post here, https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 624#p36170 shows how easily a swapfile is to create.

Recommend 2Gbs or larger if possible.

Return to “Browsers and Internet”