Modules Merged into "Quick-Remaster" despite chosing not to merge (Solved)

Moderator: fredx181

backi

Modules Merged into "Quick-Remaster" despite chosing not to merge (Solved)

Post by backi »

@fredx181

Hi Fred!Hi Guys!

Just discovered by accident.
Something`s going wrong regarding "Quick-Remaster" when choosing to merge (or not to merge) currently loaded Modules (.squashfs) into "Quick-Remaster"
Try to explain:
I prefer using programs as .squashfs Files created with AptToSfs and store them in the "base" casper/base Folder and load them at Startup also in Ram.(see below copy2ram in my kernel Line).
I prefer loading everything loaded/running in Ram (copy2ram)

In my case Smplayer/Smtube....i prefer modules over installing Programms from Synaptic-Packet Manager..

What`s my Point?
Set up Bionic Dog as described above (Smplayer/Smtube are are stored in "base" Folder).

After reboot those loaded modules (in base Folder) are working fine so far. Than (when booted with Modules loaded (in Ram)----
--- made a "Quick-Remaster" LZ4 Compression.
----Box "merge currently loaded modules....bla..bla.. into remaster...".....BOX NOT checked .(100%)....means NO MERGE chosen.
"Quick-Remaster" finished.
Reboot again.

Now what happens.
After "Quick-Remaster" ...Reboot again into session>>>>
Loaded modules are working everything is running fine.

Than I removed those squashfs modules (from base Folder) manually while being booted into Session ......reboot again....EXPECTING THOSE REMOVED Smplayer/Smtube Squashfs Modules no longer loaded and running.(after removing and rebooting)......

But they are still present and active/running......means----they are merged into the "Quick-Remaster"...despite i chose not to merge into the "Quick-Remaster".

How does this work out?
I am rather perplexed.
Maybe i did something wrong.

Here is my menu.lst :

title bionicdog64ohnenvidia-C- porteus-boot - save on EXIT changes=EXIT:/bionicdog64ohnenvidia-C/changes folder
find --set-root /bionicdog64ohnenvidia-C/casper/vmlinuz
kernel /bionicdog64ohnenvidia-C/casper/vmlinuz copy2ram from=/bionicdog64ohnenvidia-C noauto intel_pstate=enable changes=EXIT:/bionicdog64ohnenvidia-C/casper/ ramsize=100%
initrd /bionicdog64ohnenvidia-C/casper/initrd1.xz

Could it have something to do with the "copy2ram" in kernel Line?

This is in Bionic Dog....but did a Test in Fossa-Dog ...seems to be the same Situation.

Anybody else same Experience/Result ?.........any Idea??

Last edited by backi on Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fredx181

Re: Modules Merged into "Quick-Remaster" despite chosing not to merge

Post by fredx181 »

Thanks backi,
It's long ago that I used BionicDog (and also didn't add bugfixes for years now I think)
Can only say that I just tested remastering on Fossadog with the newest quick-remaster v1.2.7 and works OK for me (extra modules in casper not merged into 01-filesystem.squashfs if checkbox unchecked)
So please try that version in Fossadog.
You may try v1.2.7 from Fossa in Bionicdog: https://debiandog.github.io/FossaDog/Pa ... .7_all.deb but cannot guarantee that it works (can't remember, there's a chance that it doesn't work OK because of differences between Fossa and Bionic, but really not sure).
EDIT:

Could it have something to do with the "copy2ram" in kernel Line?

Good point, it may make a difference, will check that later.
EDIT a bit later: Just tested booting with copy2ram and remastering Fossadog (with v1.2.7) goes fine too (no merging extra modules into 01-filesystem.squashfs if box is un-checked).

backi

Post by backi »

Thanks Fred !

Since you wrote you did put the Extra Modules into casper Folder (i did it in base) I`ll Check again .......Will report later.

EDIT:
Started with Fossa-Dog emptied from Smplayer/Smtube

1. Started/booted with Fossa-Dog empty/free from Smplayer/Smtube Modules......so no Smplayer Smtube during booted Session.

2. Then did put Extramodules (in Fossa Dog) into casper Folder manually during Session..no Quick-Remaster.
rebooted again....extra modules loaded.

3. Made a "Quick-Remaster" (with Smplayer/Smtube Modules in casper Folder) Merge Box NOT checked....than rebooted again.
Extra Modules loaded.

4. Then removed Extra modules manually during Session.
Rebooted with those Extra Modules removed.
.......but Programs (Smplayer-Smtube) still present/ merged although those Smplayer/SmTube Modules were completely removed after new reboot.
Means they were merged again.

Drives me crazy......what kind of Poltergeist/Voodoo is hunting me once more ?

Don`t expect any Solution/Answer from you .......does not bother me too much......really can (must) live with it.

Nevertheless .....
Thanks Fred !

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:

Drives me crazy......what kind of Poltergeist/Voodoo is hunting me once more ?

How about possibility of human error ? (mine or yours) ;)
Did you upgrade quick-remaster to v1.2.7 ? (you didn't mention, so need to ask).
EDIT: Check before remastering if possibly the files from the modules (e.g. smplayer) are not already present in 01-filesystem.squashfs (look in /mnt/live/memory/images/01-filesystem.squashfs/).
Or in the changes perhaps.
EDIT2: sorry, you said above that you did check that, didn't read well.

backi

Post by backi »

@fredx181 wrote:

How about possibility of human error ?

Most probably.

Did you upgrade quick-remaster to v1.2.7 ? (you didn't mention, so need to ask).

Yes i did.

Since it does not happen to you the Fault must be somehow on my Side.......and so it is impossible for you to reproduce it .

I am going to set up a new/fresh experimental Fossa and Bionic Dog from Scratch and will going to see if the Merge into Remaster still happens .
That`s the only reasonable Way to check/verify objectively what`s wrong with my Setup.....(it must be my Setup......that's for sure)
Will report the Results later.

Thanks again Fred!

P.S:
Another Layman`s Question.....does it somehow matter/makes a Difference where to place (at which Position) in the menu.lst the copy2ram in the Kernel Line ?

Mine looks like this:
kernel /bionicdog64ohnenvidia-C/casper/vmlinuz copy2ram from=/bionicdog64ohnenvidia-C noauto intel_pstate=enable changes=EXIT:/bionicdog64ohnenvidia-C/casper/ ramsize=100%

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:

.....does it somehow matter/makes a Difference where to place (at which Position) in the menu.lst the copy2ram in the Kernel Line ?

No, doesn't matter.

backi

Re: Solved-Modules Merged into "Quick-Remaster" despite chosing not to merge

Post by backi »

Hi @fredx181 :

Make a long Story short.
Did a fresh frugal Install with Fossa-Dog64.........

Shit happens :lol:
Problem as described above (Extra Modules merged into "Quick-Remaster) did not happen again.....should to be expected.. :roll: :roll:
I/we probably will never find out what caused this "strange" Kind of "Bug" described above......and how i did arrange to make this happen.

I from my Side regard this Case as solved ......and will mark it as such......but still haunts me though.... :?
Alright Fred?

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

OK, Backi, would be interesting to know what sort of "shit happened" ;) , but yes, not easy to find out. Best regards !

backi

Post by backi »

@fredx181 wrote :

would be interesting to know what sort of "shit happened" ;) , but yes, not easy to find out.

I have to admit .....i am curious too.

But I am a rather nervous Guy.
So better not waking up sleeping "Dogs".....for the Sake of the Peace of my Mind.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:05 pm

@fredx181 wrote :

would be interesting to know what sort of "shit happened" ;) , but yes, not easy to find out.

I have to admit .....i am curious too.

But I am a rather nervous Guy.

I am too, (but probably a bit different :) ) I really would want to understand what has caused this, but that's me ;)
(just about me, no intention at all to disturb your Peace of mind, there's enough trouble already in life, world problems etc..)

backi

Post by backi »

@fredx181 wrote:

I really would want to understand what has caused this, but that's me

I have not the slightes faint of an Idea.....not a single Clue.

My ordinary Linux Knowledge and my Memory is anyway rather limited......so i guess a simple rational Approach is damned to fail.
So i will try a different Method.

I am going to wait for some heavenly (intuitive) Inspiration..... maybe giving me some Idea ........one Day...................or never :lol:

But never say never

Gyro Gearloose-Daniel Düsentrieb.jpeg
Gyro Gearloose-Daniel Düsentrieb.jpeg (13.2 KiB) Viewed 769 times

Keep on rocking Fred! :thumbup2:

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Someday Gyro Gearloose will jump in on this, he knows everything (but he needs to connect with the whole universe, so will take some time, unfortunately we cannot force him to do it quickly :lol: )

Return to “UbuntuDogs”