How to install multiple .deb files at once without the "yes no" dialogue box?

Moderator: Forum moderators

Amit Ranaware

How to install multiple .deb files at once without the "yes no" dialogue box?

Post by Amit Ranaware »

ok so i have like 161 .deb files which are setup and dependency of kdenlive_17.12

now how do i install all those .deb files all at once without clicking "yes" for every .deb file when it ask me that "Do you want to install this package"

i am running on Bionicpup32

main goal of this way of installing is that ,
if i dont have internet connection and if i want to install kdenlive_17.12 on a new fresh installed Bionicpup32 ,
i can easily install from hard disk with few clicks and without internet.

all .deb files for kdenlive_17.12
all .deb files for kdenlive_17.12
Screenshot(1).png (92.74 KiB) Viewed 970 times
mikeslr

Re: How to install multiple .deb files at once without the "yes no" dialogue box

Post by mikeslr »

Just so you know, there's a 32-bit Olive Video Editor AppImage which may function under bionicpup. Sorry, while I have it I don't recall trying it under bionicpup and I don't have the time just now to hunt down where I got it.

The following won't provide a 1-click* option OOTB, but it has advantages when trying to build an application which will actually function under Puppys.

Install, PaDS 1.17 from here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=933. Note what that post says about xdotool.
Put all your debs in a folder perhaps named KDEnlive_bionic32-17. Right-Click the folder, Select Combine to-SFS [something like that] and complete the GUI which appears. An SFS named KDEnlive_bionic32-17 will be created in /root.
Move the SFS out of /root. Testing it from there will delete it when you're finished.

SFS-Load the KDEnlive.sfs. It may not run. [IIRC, KDEnlive uses python. An SFS's libs have lower priority than an installed version's. The latter will be used which may be wrong for the application]. But while SFS-Loaded you can do the following:

File-browse to the applications binaries, Right-Click them and select ListDD from the popup menu. You can obtain LIstDD here if its not already present, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 260#p32260. ListDD's Missing Tab will report if you're still missing libs. If you are, you can track them down, drop them into your 'debs' folder and re-run PaDs.

Once no libs are missing Left-Click>View Contents to mount the SFS. Copy all its files into a new folder named perhaps KDEnlive_bionic32-17.12. [Why I didn't originally use the full version designation]. File-browse into /usr/share/applications and examine KDEnlive's desktop file in a text editor. The Exec= line may have a %f or %u you'll want to delete. They confuse Puppys. You may also want to edit the name of the desktop, the name which will be displayed on the menu, edit the Categories= argument to one used by Puppys and have the Icon= argument spell out the full path to the pixmap.

You can now Right-Click the KDEnlive_bionic32-17.12 and select Create-a-pet. You can, of course, Left-Click it once to install. But you now also have a pet you can store so that you won't have to do the above again if you ever have to flesh-out another bionicpup32.

-=-=-=-=-
* Someone may be able to provide an edit to Puppy's pet-get code which will do what you asked. But it may also break things, perhaps forever.

Last edited by mikeslr on Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rockedge
Site Admin

Re: How to install multiple .deb files at once without the "yes no" dialogue box

Post by rockedge »

I think this will be possible to do without a prompt by using Pkg in a small bash script. Pkg can install local packages easily.

Open a terminal and use pkg --help to get yourself familiar with the commands. It should be possible to either in a script loop through the files and use pkg to convert the .deb to .pet then install the .pet or do the same thing by just going line by line for each .deb file listed out in the script.

I think pkg might be able to directly install a .deb as well or in the script use pkg to convert from .deb to .pet then use petget to install that.

Perhaps @sc0ttman is around and has tip since he is the author of Pkg

backi

Post by backi »

Hi @Amit Ranaware :

Here are 3 simple Methods described :

How to install .debs in a folder using a single command?

https://askubuntu.com/questions/121243/ ... le-command

Maybe helpful .......although using PaDs probably works fine (longer Time ago i did apply it a few Times with Success.)

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Probably someone should warn you that you are contemplating a difficult process which can take a long time with no assurance of success. The time element may be that of learning pkg-cli (which I haven't mastered) but would be valuable in its own right. The difficult and lack of assurance of success for the most part relates to python (which KDEnlive does employ). If there are tools to diagnose and resolve python problems they aren't in Puppy and will also require a stiff uphill learning curve.

Perhaps someone should also ask why you are planning to engage in video editing employing a 32-bit operating system? Simple video editors such as avidemux work fine. But all they can do is cut, trim and combine clips. Full fledged editor such as KDEnlive re-encode and that is a RAM intensive operation. If you have sufficient RAM to re-encode videos without tying up your computer for an interminable time, you have sufficient RAM to run a 64-bit operating system for which you'll find pre-packaged AppImages of Openshot, Olive, Shotcut, Avidemux, Lossles-cut, vidcutter and KDEnlive. Note, I haven't found an AppImage of KDEnlive which didn't complain that something was wrong so there'll be no preview window. However, Openshot and Shotcut provide the same functionality without a problem. And Puppyans have published KDEnlive for Bionicpup64 and several other 64-bit Puppys.

If you must use a 32-bit operating system, I have 'in storage' 32-bit versions of KDEnlive and Openshot for dpup-stretch, xenialpup, tahrpup and an old Slacko. But none for bionicpup32 which should tell you something. I can find the posts from which you can download them or, if necessary, upload them. My recommendation would be to use openshot under either dpup-stretch or xenialpup32.

williams2

Post by williams2 »

Avidemux can transcode, if you select a codec other than copy

And Avidemux has a simple scripting language builtin.

I would usually select the sections to delete and the sections to save,
using copy, then transcode using a cli program like handbrake or ffmpeg.

There are video editors with more features and functionality than Avidemux,
but I found Avidemux adequate for my (simple) purposes.

Amit Ranaware

Re: How to install multiple .deb files at once without the "yes no" dialogue box?

Post by Amit Ranaware »

Thanks Everyone ,

i did tried PaDS and its pretty cool , i think thats the closest solution i can use .

also why i choose Bionicpup32 for video edition , well i thought 32bits apps takes less ram and i got only 4 GB ram so , idk exactly how 32 and 64 bits app works but yeh

i think i will switch to Bionicpup64 because lot of .Appimages are available for that os

thanks again for your time .

Return to “Bionic”