USB sound card doesn't sound in Puppy [in ubuntu works fine] (Solved)

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

Amaponian

Re: USB sound card doesn't sound in Puppy [in ubuntu works fine]

Post by Amaponian »

bigpup wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:50 pm

Bionicpup64 8.0 does have some updates and bug fixes that can be installed.

Quickpet icon on desktop.
Quickpet -> Info -> Bionicpup updates
Do this several times to make sure it gets all of them.
Reboot making sure to update the save, so these changes are now being used.

Not sure if any of them will help with this issue, but you will get a better running Bionicpup64.

I did the updates and it said "updated", but I try again it is downloading things. "Several times"... I won't forget that.

1. I already solved the maximum volume level problem.
2. Still retrovol shows on tray when he wants. May be the script needs a delay. I don't know how to do that.

Thanks to you all, my friends. Wonderful trubleshooting team. I can't thank enough of having you helping me.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

We are at a "turn of the Century" time in the Linux world as several improvements (depending on who view it as such) occurring that will affect multimedia for all time forward. Namely PipeWire and Wayland.

This discussion has surfaced right in the middle of these 2 technologies becoming increasingly important.

We no longer have VGA and Manufacturers in this world no longer are focused at such. We also have had hardware standards change for both audio (codec's) and video (HDMI/DP/DVI and camera codec). These technologies, too, are planted within the boards that come in AIOs, Laptops, Desktops, tablets, etc. where audio and video needs are addressed.

I think the developers for these standards in technologies are doing an incredible job in moving the needle forward in time, but we, as users, struggle to keep pace with the world Linux development as well as the PUP kennel development to keep pace.

I think we may soon need forum pages that are aimed specifically in sharing good policy for use of these technologies.

Pipewire and the latest ability to try to make audio appear as if one is wiring a board is probably the BEST pictoral that we have. But, it is a new way of looking at end-end audio. Yet, it has significant advantage in that a user can visually see audio transfer in a way that make sense as it appears as something 'physically accessible' versus the conceptual that we have used for years.

This post intends to raise our understanding as we continue to both understand and to help members going forward. Maybe our documentation can break sound down into 3 areas of information:

1. ALSA discussion and trouble-shooting with today's devices

2. PULSE discussion and trouble-shooting with today's devices

3. PIPEWIRE discussion and trouble-shooting with today's devices

And, of course, the sometimes inter-relationships that intersect from distro to distro.

This is NOT a push for any particular approach for audio management, rather, its merely for understanding going forward.

Sometimes, it is important to know what approach the distro is using for audio such that its a little easier to know a proper recommendation is needed: Also, we cannot and do not rule out the hardware used.

Lots of very useful assistance has occurred in this thread and thanks to each who is trying to get enough information to present clear efforts in addressing the problem.

bigpup

Re: [SOLVED] USB sound card doesn't sound in Puppy [in ubuntu works fine]

Post by bigpup »

I did the updates and it said "updated", but I try again it is downloading things. "Several times"... I won't forget that.

Every time you run Quickpet->Info->Bionicpup updates
It will seem to do a download and provide a info statement, on what it updated.
It works by downloading a update package file, containing all the stuff, up to the time this file was made.
So, this info statement is basically telling you, it downloaded the latest update package file, and installed what was in it.

This update package file is added to, when something new needs to be in it.
If there is a newer update package file.
It will be downloaded, next time you run the update process.
Only the developer of Bionicpup64 8.0, knows when a new update package file is made.
All we can do, is run the update process and see if anything new, was provided.

The way to tell, if it provided something, that it had not provided, in a earlier download.
Qickpet -> Help -> Installed Bugfixes
This is a total list of what it installed, at that point in time, when you check this list.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I already solved the maximum volume level problem.

Give some details.
What exactly solved it?

That info may help others.

Still retrovol shows on tray when he wants. May be the script needs a delay. I don't know how to do that.

That is not normal operation.
The speaker icon should always be visible in the desktop tray.
There is no timing involved.
It gets loaded during the boot process and should just be there, when the boot process completes.

Forum Global Moderator

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Amaponian :-

Glad to hear you're sorted.

With respect to getting the "maximum" volume level, one of Retrovol's 'secret weapons' is being able to change the 'multiplier'.

Trayicon-<rt-clk->Config Window->tab [Main]->Volume Scaling. OOTB, this comes preset to 'Linear'. One of the first things I do with every new install is to set this to the next one in the drop-down list - 'Logarithmic'. This, together with the the powered speaker system I have, is more than enough for me.

I did try the third option on one memorable occasion - 'Exponential'.......and it almost blew the speakers out! TOO much! :shock: :lol:

I guess 'Logarithmic' should be enough for most folks, although 'Exponential' MAY come in useful for those with very 'quiet' sound-cards. Even this, though, is usually amenable to 'tweaking' the relevant settings.

Just some additional info, FWIW.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Amaponian

Post by Amaponian »

bigpup wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:01 am

I already solved the maximum volume level problem.

Give some details.
What exactly solved it?

That info may help others.

"That info may help others."
You're right!

I saw in the tray that what was active was the "Mic Playback Volume".
I changed to "Speaker Playback Volume"
Those were options provided by the card.

Amaponian

Post by Amaponian »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:42 am

@Amaponian :-

Glad to hear you're sorted.

With respect to getting the "maximum" volume level, one of Retrovol's 'secret weapons' is being able to change the 'multiplier'.

Trayicon-<rt-clk->Config Window->tab [Main]->Volume Scaling. OOTB, this comes preset to 'Linear'. One of the first things I do with every new install is to set this to the next one in the drop-down list - 'Logarithmic'. This, together with the the powered speaker system I have, is more than enough for me.

I did try the third option on one memorable occasion - 'Exponential'.......and it almost blew the speakers out! TOO much! :shock: :lol:

I guess 'Logarithmic' should be enough for most folks, although 'Exponential' MAY come in useful for those with very 'quiet' sound-cards. Even this, though, is usually amenable to 'tweaking' the relevant settings.

Just some additional info, FWIW.
Mike. ;)

That's very useful, @mikewalsh. I think I've needed that knowledge many times in the past. I've already changed mine to 'Logarithmic'. Thank you.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I did try the third option on one memorable occasion - 'Exponential'.......and it almost blew the speakers out! TOO much!

That is why the default setting is Linear, when you first start using Puppy Linux.
No chance of over powering anything in the sound system.

The other setting options are use at your own risk.

This was a big issue when Retrovol first got put in Puppy Linux.
What is a safe, starting out, default setting.

Forum Global Moderator

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@bigpup :-

I play out through a powered Goodmans speaker system, originally designed for MP3 players.....a pair of two-way 'satellite' speakers, and a sub-woofer that sits under my bed "firing" back at the wall. This latter unit also contains the amp circuitry & other controls.

I've long since learnt the levels that work for me. Switch the speaker system on to a certain level, then adjust things via Retrovol. If I want headphones, the wireless dongle is permanently plugged-in, so.....select the headphone card via my custom-built AudioQuickSelect app, set the level in Retrovol, then switch the 'phones on and control volume with the onboard adjusters. When finished with 'phones, I just switch 'em off, then it's back to the system card again with the QuickSelect app.

No re-booting/re-starting to get the card functional with my setup. All it does is swap a pair of 'default' Retrovol .config files - one for speakers, one for headphones - then restarts Retrovol with the '-hide' argument.

Quick, simple.....and completely effective. Yes, you still need to restart any app you're using for it to recognise the other card, but that's normal anyway. I haven't figured out how to swap audio cards "on-the-fly" within an already running program; I'm nowhere near clever enough for that!

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Amaponian

Post by Amaponian »

bigpup wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:00 pm

Try also changing the defaults.pcm.device 0 to 1

I did it and the sound disappeared again. I only realised that after I rebooted (which I did a day later). Definitely the device number used by the card is 0. I learnt a little more, thank you.

bigpup

Re: USB sound card doesn't sound in Puppy [in ubuntu works fine] (Solved)

Post by bigpup »

Never know what will happen until you try it. ;)

Most of the time, it gets down to what works, not what should work :o :thumbup: . :lol:

Forum Global Moderator

Return to “Users”