Bookworm Build script

a very small Live CD shaped to look and act like Puppy Linux.

Moderator: fredx181

fredx181

Re: Bookworm Build script (testing)

Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:42 pm

I've started experimenting with this.

Has anyone tried to set up a systemd/pulse audio/whatever else is the new mainstream (not wayland, I don't want to go there) version yet?

I think that might be my little project...

systemd can be enabled at build stage (settings), pulseaudio always worked ok for me in Debian Dog by creating script containing pulseaudio --start in ~/Startup . (and install also pavucontrol)

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

Thanks.

I've got one building right now. I'll report back how it goes...

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:11 pm

Thanks.

So, perhaps again you say to report but not doing it ? (seen that before, a few times)

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:07 pm

Thanks.

So, perhaps again you say to report but not doing it ? (seen that before, a few times)

I got it installed last night and tried to get pulseaudio going the systemd way and got interrupted. I'll try to work on it tomorrow.

It might be a couple of days...

I'm not aware of anything else I've failed to follow up on, but sometimes life gets in the way and things get forgotten.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

Thanks.

I was able to get it working.

"pulseaudio --start" doesn't work. If you run it from the terminal, it complains about running from root. "pulseaudio --system" does work and "systemctl --user restart pulseaudio.service" seems to reload it without error.

That's all I have time for today. Everything else seems to work fine so far.

edit: The reason pulse audio won't run as "user" and instead needs to run as "system" is that the 3 config in /usr/lib/systemd/user/pulseaudio.service, /usr/lib/systemd/user/pulseaudio.socket, and/usr/lib/systemd/user/pulseaudio-x11.service all contain "ConditionUser=!root". If you change that to "ConditionUser=!somethingelse" in each of the files, then it loads correctly on its own when you boot.

Not sure if this is a better way than "pulseaudio --system" (which actually forks it's process to the "pulseaudio" user so isn't actually running as root for very long).

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:36 pm

Thanks.

I was able to get it working.

"pulseaudio --start" doesn't work. If you run it from the terminal, it complains about running from root. "pulseaudio --system" does work and "systemctl --user restart pulseaudio.service" seems to reload it without error.

That's all I have time for today. Everything else seems to work fine so far.

edit: The reason pulse audio won't run as "user" and instead needs to run as "system" is that the 3 config in /usr/lib/systemd/user/pulseaudio.service, /usr/lib/systemd/user/pulseaudio.socket, and/usr/lib/systemd/user/pulseaudio-x11.service all contain "ConditionUser=!root". If you change that to "ConditionUser=!somethingelse" in each of the files, then it loads correctly on its own when you boot.

Not sure if this is a better way than "pulseaudio --system" (which actually forks it's process to the "pulseaudio" user so isn't actually running as root for very long).

Not sure if you're logged in as root or as normal user, for me pulseaudio --start works when logged in as root (systemd enabled), what you see is just a warning.

Screenshot_2022-03-14_09-14-10_500x325.png
Screenshot_2022-03-14_09-14-10_500x325.png (48.24 KiB) Viewed 9654 times
dancytron

Post by dancytron »

Do you have a /usr/lib/systemd/user/pulseaudio.service file?

Does it have " "ConditionUser=!root"" in it?

I'm guessing what happened on mine is that it tried to autoload pulseaudio on bootup, failed and that's why "pulseaudio --start" wouldn't work for me.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:

Yes and yes, btw, commenting out ConditionUser=!root so #ConditionUser=!root makes it start at boot for me, it's a hack, but perhaps that's the best.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:12 pm
dancytron wrote:

Yes and yes, btw, commenting out ConditionUser=!root so #ConditionUser=!root makes it start at boot for me, it's a hack, but perhaps that's the best.

I've found some sample pulseaudio.service files made to run as --system. I think that's less of a hack. I'll try that next. Probably next week though.

edit: I've gotten it to do exactly what I want, but I am going to use Bullseye going forward, so I will put how to do it in that thread as soon as I get it written up a little better....

edit again: Continues in bullseye thread viewtopic.php?p=52790#p52790

ralcocer

Post by ralcocer »

I always get and error with conky, anyone else?

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

ralcocer wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:42 am

I'm not getting any conky error, what exactly that you see is wrong ? And on which Desktop Environment ? More details, please.

recobayu

Post by recobayu »

fredx181 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:49 pm

I'm not getting any conky error, what exactly that you see is wrong ? And on which Desktop Environment ? More details, please.

Me too. I choose jwm.

Attachments
debdog-20220408080606.jpg
debdog-20220408080606.jpg (110.38 KiB) Viewed 10583 times
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

recobayu wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:07 am
fredx181 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:49 pm

Me too. I choose jwm.

Ah, yes, I see now, misunderstood at first.
Looks like conky has been removed from Debian Bookworm repo (perhaps temporarily).
Anyway, I've added conky packages now to the custom bookworm repo at github, so should be fixed, please test and report back.

ralcocer

Post by ralcocer »

Foun this intereting article; https://linuxhint.com/secure-boot-linux/

ralcocer

Post by ralcocer »

I finally got everything with the script working but now every time I open any program nothing shows in the lxpanel even after restarting. I am using lxde Desktop.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

ralcocer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:13 am

I finally got everything with the script working but now every time I open any program nothing shows in the lxpanel even after restarting. I am using lxde Desktop.

Not sure what you mean exactly by "lxde Desktop" . I did a build with the 6th option: "ObDog | DebianDog Full, openbox with pcmanfm, lxpanel - or Jwm, with firefox" and cannot reproduce the problem, for me any opened application shows in the lxpanel taskbar (or perhaps you didn't mean that it's not appearing in the taskbar :?: ).
If you did some special configuration, just tell me what you did in detail so then I can try to reproduce the problem you got.

user1111

Post by user1111 »

Used the app image version ran using Fatdog. In the gui menu I opted for the light version (jwm) but tweaked that to throw out a lot of that content, swapped out jwm for cwm and added in tigervnc-viewer.

First run failed - due to using a folder name containing spaces (/mnt/sda3/Fred mklive).

Second run built, but didn't boot to X, AMD/radeon issues.

Third run after including firmware-nonfree, firmware-ati-graphics ... built and booted to desktop OK (after some minor tweaking to set openbsd-cwm as the window manager), using Porteus style (grub4dos) save on exit to folder boot style.

apt update
apt install sndiod

ran (on the Debian 'client')
sndiod -dddd -a on -f rsnd/1 -L-
and fired up vncviewer, connecting to my Fatdog server, and started chrome
AUDIODEVICE=snd@192.168.1.9/0 /opt/google/chrome/chrome --no-sandbox
and youtube playing maximised with sound forwarded/heard on the debian client OK

Very responsive/usable. Sound is good quality/pure, feels as good as if chrome/sound were all being run locally on the client.

i.jpg
i.jpg (86.52 KiB) Viewed 9980 times

Around 23Mbs (2.9MB/sec) for the near full screen video and sound play back to the debian (laptop/client) system.

Two-finger touchpad browser scrolling is very smooth/quick. I full screen the 1440x900 server resolution on vnc connect and my laptops 1366x768 screen automatically pans around that when mouse to the edges of the screen.

ralcocer

Post by ralcocer »

fredx181 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:21 pm
ralcocer wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:13 am

Not sure what you mean exactly by "lxde Desktop" . I did a build with the 6th option: "ObDog | DebianDog Full, openbox with pcmanfm, lxpanel - or Jwm, with firefox" and cannot reproduce the problem, for me any opened application shows in the lxpanel taskbar (or perhaps you didn't mean that it's not appearing in the taskbar :?: ).
If you did some special configuration, just tell me what you did in detail so then I can try to reproduce the problem you got.

It happens that it works OK as root. I have always ran the script with lxde and chrome and calamares whithout any problem in bookworm. I decided to wait more time until bookwork has more packages included.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

At the moment the "synaptic" package is not available in bookworm (probably temporary ?). https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=synaptic
Found out by testing mklive-bookworm and the build failed because of that.

Should work OK now though, fixed by adding the synaptic package from Sid (v0.91.2) to the custom bookworm repo.

exton

PuppEX Bookworm64 (Puppy Linux) compatible with Debian Bookworm (upcoming Debian 12) :: Build 220714

Post by exton »

NEWS ABOUT PuppEX Bookworm64 Build 220714 – TWO versions
My two new Puppy Linux derivatives are built using the Bookworm Build Script. They are compatible with Debian Bookworm – upcoming Debian 12. One version of 1070 MB (the ISO file) is for UEFI computers. The other one of 903 MB (the ISO file) is for non-UEFI computers and VirtualBox/VMware. The non-UEFI version can run i full screen in VirtualBox, since VirtualBox Guest Additions are pre-installed. Watch this screenshot…

Debian 12
Compatible with Debian 12 means that you can use the apt command (apt update, apt upgrade, apt install MyUsefulPackage etc) and Synaptic for installing thousands of new Debian packages in PuppEX. Both PuppEX Bookworm64 versions can easily be installed manually to hard drive if you have at least one Linux system installed. You must also use Grub as boot loader. Read more about how to do that at the INFO site.

NOTES about Google Chrome
Google Chrome can be installed in PuppEX Slack64 without problems. I used this pet. Chrome can also be installed in the same way in PuppEX Jammy64. You'll have to install one extra package though - apt install libnss3. As regards PuppEX Bookworm64 you can also very easy install Google Chrome if you follow the instructions here. The best thing with Chrome is that you can run Netflix using it.

NOTES about the Bookworm Build Script
When using the script you should add firmware and packages needed by X. Otherwise you may not reach the Desktop.

SCREENSHOTS
1. PuppEX Bookworm64 running in full screen in VirtualBox
2. Connection to a wireless network
3. Running Netflix in Firefox
4. Using Samba to reach my Windows computers
5. Using Quick Remaster GUI

READ MORE…

Last edited by exton on Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Same problems fixed as described for Sid here: https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 665#p62665 , goes for Bookworm too.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Test ISO updated, download see First Post , made with mklive-bookworm using "Tint2" Desktop option.
Should work on "modern" computers, has kernel 5.18 and lots of (latest) firmware included.

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

Re: Recognition problem - FocalFossa 20.04 from USB pen on Lenovo Ryzen 5.

Post by soniabu » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:28 am

fredx181 wrote: ↑Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:01 pm

@soniabu
The DebLive-Bookworm ISO (updated) may work for you. (direct link: https://github.com/DebianDog/MakeLive/r ... 4-UEFI.iso)
It has latest kernel and firmware and as far as I can see it has support for your wireless chip, but not sure, anyway it does solve the wireless problem on my modern laptop, could easily connect with PeasyWifi.
It's not Ubuntu (it's Debian based) but has many similarities with Fossadog, e.g. Desktop environment and applications included.

Fantastic Fred!
- WiFi works fine.
The problem I encounter, however, is that the touchpad not working; I can moving the cursor (the arrow) but it has no effect;
I was able to start and test the network as well as for example set Firefox setting only with the touchscreen (that works very well).
I tried to update and upgrade the system in the hope that it would fix the problem but it did not happen and the touchpad still has no effect on the system.
Even if the arrow passes over a link and I click, it does not launch the requested page, but if I press the corner of the touchpad at the bottom right, the combo box opens from which I can launch the page request by pressing Enter. We hope to be able to solve this too! Thanks and hugs, sonia.

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

I did a new install of the latest bookworm64.iso from 28/07/22. But to test it out I did the install on a USB Flash drive which uses the limine boot loader from EasyOS. So far running nicely on my new ASUS laptop. Thanks Fred for your continued development work.

I just took the details from the linux line of grub.cfg to add to the KERNEL_CMDLINE= of the limine.cfg, creating the following boot stanza:

Code: Select all

:Bookworm64
    COMMENT=DebianDog Bookworm64 by fredx181
    PROTOCOL=linux
    TEXTMODE=yes
    KERNEL_PATH=boot://2/bookworm64/live/vmlinuz1
    MODULE_PATH=boot://2/bookworm64/live/initrd1.xz
    KERNEL_CMDLINE=root=UUID=35001032-f423-11ec-9c42-287fcfeb4376 noauto from=/bookworm64 changes=EXIT:/bookworm64/live/

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

In the thread: https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=6424
It goes about Bookworm from here on: https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 975#p62975
Possibly important fixes:
- Touchpad; https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 055#p63055
- Select soundcard and grub.cfg edit: https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 224#p63224
- Install libavcodec58 for play most videos with Firefox: https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 378#p63378
- Fix warning about google-chrome trusted key: https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 437#p63437

exton

Post by exton »

NEWS ABOUT PuppEX Bookworm64 Build 220807

I've made a new version 230225. Read more: https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 165#p83165

NOTE: The first version of PuppEX Bookworm64 with Tint2 is from 220803. In version 220807 I've added more support for various hardware.

My new Puppy Linux derivative is built using the Bookworm Build Script. It is compatible with Debian Bookworm – upcoming Debian 12. This version of PuppEX uses Tint2 as Desktop environment (DE). It is for UEFI computers and non-UEFI computers. This PuppEX version runs very well in VirtualBox/VMware. You can run it in full screen in VirtualBox, since VirtualBox Guest Additions are pre-installed. Watch this screenshot…

Debian 12
Compatible with Debian 12 means that you can use the apt command. (apt update, apt upgrade, apt install MyUsefulPackage etc) and Synaptic for installing thousands of new Debian packages in PuppEX. All PuppEX Bookworm64 versions can easily be installed manually to hard drive if you have at least one Linux system installed. You must also use Grub as boot loader. Read more about how to do that at the INFO site.

SCREENSHOTS

1. PuppEX Bookworm64 running in full screen in VirtualBox
2. Connection to a wireless network
3. root’s desktop – Tint2
4. puppy’s desktop – Tint2
5. Using CIFS to reach Windows shares

READ MORE or download the ISO right away from the Swedish Linux Society’s server…

Last edited by exton on Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

exton wrote:

NEWS ABOUT PuppEX Bookworm64 Build 220803

Thanks! Added link to your post at first post
Just one thing:

This version of PuppEX uses Tint2 as Desktop environment (DE).

The Desktop environment (or better called "window-manager' in this case) is Openbox, the panels are tint2 (well, a bit confusing perhaps as the build option is called "Tint2")

EDIT: Another thing:

You must also use Grub as boot loader.

If you mean GRUB2, not sure if that is true, I think it should work on older computers too (legacy BIOS) (or with UEFI BIOS supporting "legacy"), by using grub4dos or syslinux etc..

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

hi, i'm still here with an obstacle that i can't overcome.
After restoring my Calibe library in the Windows Documents folder (shared with Bookworm) on SSD, a message appeared urgently advising me
to expand the savefile (now the changes.dat = 4GB).
Through the DogSpecial section I found the ReSize function but I can't use it as the changes.dat is mounted:
so, how do i expand it?. :? I wonder what the ReSize function is for if I can't use it while using the system.
My savefile (changes.dat) is on a USB stick 32GB
P.S.
and then I can't look inside the changes.dat because when I click 2 times Leafpad is launched but it stays there and nothing appears. I don't understand how the 4GB change.dat got full: I didn't download or save almost anything.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

soniabu wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:19 pm

hi, i'm still here with an obstacle that i can't overcome.
After restoring my Calibe library in the Windows Documents folder (shared with Bookworm) on SSD, a message appeared urgently advising me
to expand the savefile (now the changes.dat = 4GB).
Through the DogSpecial section I found the ReSize function but I can't use it as the changes.dat is mounted:
so, how do i expand it?. :?

By booting without changes for once, press 'e' at the grub display and remove the changes=... part.
Then the changes.dat is not in use (not mounted) and you can resize it (hopefully that still works ok, didn't test that for some time).

Just a tip, it's better to use a save-folder (only limit then is the size of your partition)
To do that, create with Gparted a second partition ext4 or ext3 (required for save-folder) on your USB and if that turns out as being "sda2", then just change in grub.cfg to changes=/mnt/sda2/
Or create a unique name e.g. Bworm-changes directory on second partition sda2, then make it in grub.cfg changes=/mnt/sda2/Bworm-changes (just example) or if it's really unique name (not located on any other partition) just e.g. changes=/Bworm-changes, it will be found then.
Well that's how I would prefer myself (save to folder), up to you how to do it of course.
Note that creating such new save setup means that you're starting "fresh" so you'll have to setup changes from the start.

EDIT: just see your extra comment:

and then I can't look inside the changes.dat because when I click 2 times Leafpad is launched but it stays there and nothing appears. I don't understand how the 4GB change.dat got full: I didn't download or save almost anything.

Yes, leafpad cannot open the savefile, indeed 4GB is a lot, so cannot understand either why it's almost full, you can check with right-click 'How big' on folder /mnt/live/memory/changes/ (or possibly if you used changes=EXIT:/.. on the boot line in grub,cfg it's /mnt/live/memory/images/changes-exit/) one of these are the (mounted) contents of your savefile.

exton

Post by exton »

Thanks fredx181 for the link!

Openbox is the DE as you say. My mistake.

Grub: Well, I mean grub2 as you assume. If you use grub2 you can just copy the folder live to the root of any Linux system and then add start lines for PuppEX in /boot/grub/grub.cfg (or in /etc/grub.d/40_custom). That's what I mean with a "manual installation". Very easy to do. You can (of course) also use the install program and then install grub4dos as boot loader. I've tested that in VirtualBox. Works very well.

The best thing with my Bookworm build is that you can run it in VirtualBox in full screen (without having to install it first).

Last edited by exton on Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “DebianDogs”