Puppy linux on 32 bit computer what apps are available?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

Mike3

Puppy linux on 32 bit computer what apps are available?

Post by Mike3 »

So, I'm planning on using puppy linux for websurfing and music production and I'm thinking about getting an older 32 bit computer due to the low costs of them and other factors.

I saw that there are 32 bit versions available of the main distros, but what about apps.

Are the main apps available also for puppy linux 32 bit?

I wanna use things like:
Audacity
jsampler
qJackctl
& some more DAW's

But I checked the audacity webpage and the latest linux release was not available in 32 bit it seems. Does this mean I have to use a really ols version? Are these available somewhere?

Same with these other apps are they available for the 32 bit version through the PPM for example?

bigpup

Re: Puppy linux on 32 bit computer what apps are available?

Post by bigpup »

In general you can find 32bit apps.
However, it will be hit and miss as to what version of the app.
Some may still offer 32 bit latest version, but a lot will no longer make 32 bit versions.
So you may have to use older versions of apps.
There are people on this forum that are still trying to keep 32bit software available to download and install.
Check the stuff offered in the Additional Software section of the forum.

The big question to ask is, what exactly is the hardware in these very low cost, 32bit only, computers?
If they are so old that the processor is only a 32bit one.
Just how much longer is the hardware going to work.
May be a few more years maybe not.

Look very closely at what processor is in the computer.
There is a good chance it is actually one that can do 64 bit.
64 bit processors have been around since mid 2000 and they can do 32bit or 64bit processing.
Calling the computer 32bit only is more about what operating system is on it.
Is it only a 32bit windows version.
Only needs a 64bit operating system, to turn it into a 64bit computer.

You really need to get one with at least a duel core processor.
They had them going back to the mid 2000.
32bit Puppy Linux, minimum processor support, is for a single core Pentium 4 processor, but that thing is not going to have many of the needed features, modern software needs.

What are you calling at a good low price?

give us some specific info on the 32bit computers you are looking at buying?

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Mike3 :-

The majority of developers quit supplying 32-bit builds of their software at some point over the last couple of years. Many of the mainstream, better-known distros don't even supply 32-bit versions of their OS any longer.

I, too, would like some idea of what you call a "low price". Gives us a better idea of what kind of area to point you at..! :)

Something like the item below:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333939886546 ... Swy6NgYvDK

.....would be ideal for Puppy. (Not necessarily this exact item, it's just an example. eBay has a ton of these things on their site.)

The Latitudes are XP/Vista-era ex-business workhorses. Built like a brick outhouse, and as reliable as the day is long, they came with a 64-bit capable dual-core Intel Core2Duo, usually around 2 GB RAM, and anywhere from 80 GB to 160 GB of storage. For us, they fit the bill nicely.

Is this the sort of price range you had in mind? Because anything much cheaper than this is often not really "road-worthy" any longer.... Just as the pandemic pushed prices of most computer equipment skywards, because of the huge demand due to 'work-from-home', so it depleted the normally copious reserves of second-hand equipment on the market, too. And prices haven't really recovered yet.

Mike. ;)

Mike3

Post by Mike3 »

@bigpup

bigpup wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:04 am

In general you can find 32bit apps.
Some may still offer 32 bit latest version, but a lot will no longer make 32 bit versions.
So you may have to use older versions of apps.

How do I find old versions of apps? On github? Or do I need to email the developers?

There are people on this forum that are still trying to keep 32bit software available to download and install.
Check the stuff offered in the Additional Software section of the forum.

Maybe we could collect all 32 bit apps in a thread here on the forum with download links so tht they are easy to find. I will try with the search function though.

What about the PPM, are there 32 bit versions of apps there? And if so, does the PPM recognize I'm on a 32 bit computer and automatically search for 32 bit versions of apps?

You really need to get one with at least a duel core processor.
32bit Puppy Linux, minimum processor support, is for a single core Pentium 4 processor, but that thing is not going to have many of the needed features, modern software needs.

Why do I need dual core. I used to do music production on a single core PC with 2.2 GHz processor, 64 bit and 2 GB RAM. Worked fine for what I do.

I mean I used to do music production a bit way back in the days on like 800 Mhz single core computers it also worked fine.

And a lot of these older 32 bit computers (from say the year 2000 up to 2005) used to have processors that were like 2,6 GHz to 3,2 GHz (even though often single core). If I can get the apps I want working, then it should be no problem or is there issues anyways? You mentioned Pentium 4 single core processors as the oldest linux will work on. Will the apps work on these processors if linux works on/with them?

Also regarding how long the computers would work. I have old PC's from like 2004 that works just fine and some people use like Amiga's from the early 90's for some stuff and they still work. I did read that the lifetime of processors have gone down though due to new ways of boosting or making them faster which makes for lesser lifetime and the like though.

@mikewalsch

Just as the pandemic pushed prices of most computer equipment skywards, because of the huge demand due to 'work-from-home', so it depleted the normally copious reserves of second-hand equipment on the market, too. And prices haven't really recovered yet.

Yes it seems that some old computers have gone up in price especially what one may call "vintage computers". Brands and models that used to be like $50 are now often $100. Even late 90's PC's can be quite expansive. Is this due to retro gaming? But I feel for many types of goods there has been downwards pressure due to competition and now with the effects of the pandemic I guess it has been a good reason to raise prices for business segments but I assume there are also reasons for it due to the rise in fuel prices, lockdowns in China or whatever. And the reasons you mentioned. But the pandemic seems to be over aren't people back in offices now?

But the prices are just one factor, I am also interested in trying older stuff to see if there is a difference in audio quality and the like.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Mike3 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:00 pm

So, I'm planning on using puppy linux for websurfing and music production and I'm thinking about getting an older 32 bit computer due to the low costs of them and other factors...

You may be able to start by using LazY Puppy Version 5, https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=107208 which is based on Tahrpup tahr 6.0.2, but note the long list of applications relating to music production it provides. Its creator now goes by the handle taersh. He's a professional musician. Of course, for web-surfing you'll face the problems which tahrpup 32-bit now has. [Suggestion, run 2 Puppy, the 2nd being a newer one more amenable to todays Web].

You'll find some other Puppys designed for music creation from this link, https://archive.org/search.php?query=Puppy+Studio&sin=. I don't know what each has builtin. I do know Studio 13.37 is the free version of the Puppy l0wt3ch developed to rival/out-perform Ubuntu Studio. The paid version sold for $50. https://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/ ... 8784.shtml

But why 32-bit. 64-bit computers have been around for 20 years. I'd look for one with a decent amount of RAM (or which can be fleshed out with more RAM for a decent price) and then try puddleman's Jackalpup, viewtopic.php?t=1148 based on Fossapup64. No web-browser limitations; no problems adding some application not already builtin. But also important: your time is valuable. Aren't you better off spending it in production than preparing for production?

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

How do I find old versions of apps? On github? Or do I need to email the developers?

A web search engine can find anything.

What about the PPM, are there 32 bit versions of apps there? And if so, does the PPM recognize I'm on a 32 bit computer and automatically search for 32 bit versions of apps?

PPM does not exactly work the way you are thinking.
Say you have a specific 32bit Puppy version.
Example:
Xenialpup 7.5 Which uses the same Linux core programs/files as Ubuntu Xenial 32bit.
Xenialpup has a small repository of pet packages for programs the developer wanted to provide.
Ubuntu Xenial32 has a repository of program packages those developers want to provide.
Stuff in the repositories is going to be 32bit, because it was compiled for 32bit OS's.
PPM is setup to search both repositories for software.
If it is in one of these repositories it will download and install it.
The software could be any version of it.

anything not found by PPM.
Web search and look for it offered someplace on the internet.

This info may help you understand:
installing additional programs
https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=1819

Welcome to Linux Software! :welcome:

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Mike3

Post by Mike3 »

mikeslr wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:46 pm

You may be able to start by using LazY Puppy Version 5, https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=107208 which is based on Tahrpup tahr 6.0.2, but note the long list of applications relating to music production it provides. Its creator now goes by the handle taersh. He's a professional musician. Of course, for web-surfing you'll face the problems which tahrpup 32-bit now has. [Suggestion, run 2 Puppy, the 2nd being a newer one more amenable to todays Web].

You'll find some other Puppys designed for music creation from this link, https://archive.org/search.php?query=Puppy+Studio&sin=. I don't know what each has builtin. I do know Studio 13.37...

I think studio 13.37 was a mix of 32 bit and 64 bit somehow but I had it working well on a 64 bit system, backwards compatibility I suppose. But 64 bit apps don't work on 32 bit CPU's I think?

So you think I should ask Taersch if he still has these apps 32 bit? I suppose he could have them must have had em when he made that...

And I found like no 32 bit linux version of audacity using a search engine. But will do a bit more searching later today.

bigpup wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:01 pm

A web search engine can find anything.

@bigpup

Xenialpup 7.5 Which uses the same Linux core programs/files as Ubuntu Xenial 32bit.
Xenialpup has a small repository of pet packages for programs the developer wanted to provide.
Ubuntu Xenial32 has a repository of program packages those developers want to provide.
Stuff in the repositories is going to be 32bit, because it was compiled for 32bit OS's.
PPM is setup to search both repositories for software.

So the PPM will then search for 32 bit versions, thats great.

But what apps are available 32 bit in the PPM of what I need?

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Mike3 Have you considered using VoidPup32?

VoidPup32 is a Puppy Linux built with Void Linux binaries and package manager. Void Linux has a 32 bit Audacity package. Check the Void Linux packages here -> https://voidlinux.org/packages/?arch=i686

I think using the VoidPup32 package management mechanism you will be able to install it plus the other packages that make up a music production machine.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Didn't take a lot of tracking down.....but it does help to know exactly WHERE to look.

From the Ubuntu /old-releases/pool archives, here are app & data pkgs for the 32-bit build of Audacity 2.0.6, built October 2014 - 6 months after Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" came out, and the same time as 14.10 "Utopic Unicorn" was released (this latter was one of the interim 6-month wonders):-

App - http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/p ... 2_i386.deb
Data - http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/p ... -2_all.deb

Probably need some more deps tracking down, but you can find all Ubuntu-related packages ( and dependencies) here:-

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/

I would highly recommend trying 32-bit Tahrpup 6.0.5, or, if you can get it to run, Tahrpup 6.0.6 (the very final release of Tahrpup). I have it running on an ancient Dell Inspiron laptop, an original 1100 from 2002 - 2.8.GHz single-core 400FSB Pentium 4, with 1.5 GB DDR1 RAM.....it suits it down to the ground. Runs a bit slow, but very reliable. (Yes; I know 2.8 GHz sounds quite fast, but ya gotta remember the P4s only have SSE2s; fairly basic instruction sets compared to say, a 1.33 GHz Atom.....which is dual-core, 64-bit capable, and at least SSE3s + supplemental SSE3s. Less than half the P4's speed, yet it'll run rings around the P4 due to the more advanced instruction sets.....and sip a fraction of the power while it's at it, too).

Compared to modern CPUs, the old P4s were all about producing a ton of heat, and not much else!

----------------------------------------------------

Paradoxically, using a search engine is not much help when looking for this stuff.....unless you're VERY specific with your search terms. And even then, there's no guarantees...most search engines assume you want Whinedoze stuff, and display stuff accordingly.

Mike. ;)

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Most things are available in the sense that you don't care about the time required/spent.
Some however are written with code that doesn't work with 32bit, but that's rare.

However since 32bit has been phased out, you got your work cut out for you to build everything you want and tracking down all the dependencies. (And then dealing with forks of dependencies because the application's needs don't work with the original dependencies)

IRC: firepup | Time to hack Puppy!

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

I think you need to get a machine, then check if it actually is 32 bit. As others have said, 64 bit machines were around a long time before manufacturers started putting 64 bit systems on them. I remember someone once claiming it was because there was no demand, but I can't help thinking there was some cost cutting element to it. I have four 64 bit machines, but only one of them originally came with a 64 bit OS.

So you may well end up with a 64 bit machine anyway, unless you specifically go out of your way to get a 32 bit. But if you're interested the 32 bit versions of both MX Linux and antiX have Audacity in their repos, and I've no doubt others do too. I don't know about the other apps you listed as I'm not familiar with those.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Phoenix :-

This is why I like the Ubuntu archives. They've kept every single package ever compiled/produced for Ubuntu, dating all the way to to the very first Ubuntu release in 2006, 6.04 "Hoary Hedgehog".....which means it's perfectly possible to track down date-sensitive packages/dependencies that would have been 'current' at the time of any given release.

Mike. ;)

Mike3

Post by Mike3 »

rockedge wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:43 pm

VoidPup32 is a Puppy Linux built with Void Linux binaries and package manager. Void Linux has a 32 bit Audacity package. Check the Void Linux packages here -> https://voidlinux.org/packages/?arch=i686

Thank you for the tip I will check this out I 'm gonna do some tests on different linux systems anyways.

I might get a friends old computer, certainly is 32 bit.

How can I check the repos for for example slacko puppies 32 bit (slackware)? I checked at pkgs.org and it seems they only had 64 bit Audacity for slackies there.

@mikewalsh

I don't like ubuntu versions of puppy for music production so not really an alternative but thanks anyways for the info.

But if all these distros have 32 bit versions of most apps available I assume they nmust have been compiled from sourcecode. Where did they find the sourcecode?

If I can find the correct sourcecode I should be able to compile the apps I need but then I also need to compile all the dependencies and how do I know they are around in 32 bit.

It certainly would have helped if there was ONE website that gathered ALL apps from the beginning of linux both compiled for different versions and also the sourcecode. Why hasn't this been done. Maybe something the linux foundation could supply?

Or is most source code for older apps and 32 bit versions on github? Can I find what I need there?

Mike3

Post by Mike3 »

Thank you for the tip I will check this out I 'm gonna do some tests on different linux systems anyways.

I might get a friends old computer, certainly is 32 bit.

How can I check the repos for for example slacko puppies 32 bit (slackware)? I checked at pkgs.org and it seems they only had 64 bit Audacity for slackies there.

@mikewalsh

I don't like ubuntu versions of puppy for music production so not really an alternative but thanks anyways for the info.

But if all these distros have 32 bit versions of most apps available I assume they must have been compiled from sourcecode. Where did they find the sourcecode?

If I can find the correct sourcecode I should be able to compile the apps I need but then I also need to compile all the dependencies and how do I know they are around in 32 bit.

It certainly would have helped if there was ONE website that gathered ALL apps from the beginning of linux both compiled for different versions and also the sourcecode. Why hasn't this been done. Maybe something the linux foundation could supply?

Or is most source code for older apps and 32 bit versions on github? Can I find what I need there?

wiak

Post by wiak »

I think using the VoidPup32 package management mechanism you will be able to install it plus the other packages that make up a music production machine.

Yes, Void Linux remains one of the best upstream distos that continues to actively support 32bit systems (as well as 64bit) and has relatively large repos of still acitvely supported apps. You just need to go to https://voidlinux.org/packages/ to select i686 to find what is available, which VoidPup32 can likely use out-of-the-box.

Attachments
void32repAudacity.png
void32repAudacity.png (68.9 KiB) Viewed 1314 times

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

peebee

Post by peebee »

I checked at pkgs.org and it seems they only had 64 bit Audacity for slackies there.

pkgs.org is an excellent resource however it no longer displays any 32-bit apps......

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

peebee wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:43 am

I checked at pkgs.org and it seems they only had 64 bit Audacity for slackies there.

pkgs.org is an excellent resource however it no longer displays any 32-bit apps......

Indeed.....and any app version offered is almost always the very newest available nowadays. Which is fine if you only ever use a bang-up-to-date OS all the time....doesn't work so well if you specifically want an older version for an older OS.

Even AlienBob appears to only be offering 32-bit builds for certain items now. Which never used to be the case with him... I guess even Master Hameleers knows when the writing is on the wall.

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

But if all these distros have 32 bit versions of most apps available I assume they must have been compiled from sourcecode. Where did they find the sourcecode?

Somewhere in the listing for every single item in the vast Ubuntu repositories, you will find a tar.gz/tar.xz package. This will be the source-code for that item.

In cases where there are several items listed on one particular page, you should find a tarball for each of those items.

Mike. ;)

Mike3

Post by Mike3 »

@mikewalsch

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:48 am

Somewhere in the listing for every single item in the vast Ubuntu repositories, you will find a tar.gz/tar.xz package. This will be the source-code for that item.
Mike. ;)

That's great this means I can just use the source code to compile it for my version of puppy linux or the 32 bit version of it right?

Another thing I have been considering is running puppy on an ipad through one of these simulators that allows windows and I think even macos to run through an app on ios. Another subject though I suppose.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Mike3 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:56 pm

That's great this means I can just use the source code to compile it for my version of puppy linux or the 32 bit version of it right?

Yes, the best method is to compile packages specifically on and for the target machine.

Return to “Users”