VoidPup32 and VoidPup64 Discussion

Moderators: peebee, Forum moderators

peebee

VoidPup32 and VoidPup64 Discussion

Post by peebee »

This is a discussion thread.

The release thread is at:
viewtopic.php?t=5270

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

mikeslr

Re: VoidPup32 and VoidPup64 --recent explorations

Post by mikeslr »

Hi all,

I continue to be impressed by this Puppy as I explore what works even before trying to learn how to use its package manager. For other similarly inclined:
(a) See my post here about employing Save2adrv, viewtopic.php?p=47764#p47764
(b) For a screen-recorder, MikeWalsh's Xvidcap works once libpng12 libraries were added. I've packaged them here, viewtopic.php?p=47845#p47845
(c) Typing the above reminded me that masterpdfeditor functions --see posts here, viewtopic.php?p=8144#p8144 and here viewtopic.php?p=31697#p31697-- once the libraries mentioned in the latter were installed.
(d) Trying to open an archive with the built-in p-SOMETHING failed. JakeSFR's UExtract 4.7, viewtopic.php?p=3263#p3263 succeeded. FWIW, it can handle files in xps format. I recommend its inclusion or even substitution for p-SOMETHING.
(e) Regarding Video Editors, the only one which seems easily amenable is Shotcut. Although it did not open, reporting the reason for that failure it suggesting the installation of files (IIRC) relating to 'Jack' which are likely in Void's repo. That may be the next thing to explore and a reason for me to try using the package manager.
By the way, Shotcut is now the Slant communities recommendation for a video editor.
(f & g) Both Gimp-portable and LibreOffice SFS worked OOTB.

p.s. I almost forgot. I recommend that, if possible, 'run-in-terminal' be added to the Right-Click menu.

Clarity

Re: VoidPup32 and VoidPup64

Post by Clarity »

Hi @peebee I will continue to test some of the other embedded subsystems and I will hold off on my SMB LAN sharing needs in this distro. All of the other subsystems you have included work EXACTLY as they do in all of your preceeding PUPs.

Results below (see the last 2 cli commands)

Code: Select all

# vpm sync
[vpm_]  Synchronizing remote repository data: (xbps-install -S): 
[*] Updating repository `https://alpha.de.repo.voidlinux.org/current/x86_64-repodata' ...
x86_64-repodata: 1717KB [avg rate: 1126KB/s]
[vpm_]  [xbps-install -S] return code: 0 
# vpm update
[vpm_]  Running system update (xbps-install -Suv) 
[*] Updating repository `https://alpha.de.repo.voidlinux.org/current/x86_64-repodata' ...
[vpm_]  [xbps-install -Suv] return code: 0 
# vpm install samba
[vpm_]  Installing packages: samba (xbps-install -S samba) ... 

Name             Action    Version           New version            Download size
libtdb           install   -                 1.4.5_1                44KB 
lmdb             install   -                 0.9.29_1               81KB 
ldb              install   -                 2.3.2_1                173KB 
samba-libs       install   -                 4.14.11_1              5154KB 
python3          install   -                 3.10.2_1               7361KB 
libpytalloc-util install   -                 2.3.3_1                5477B 
libpyldb-util    install   -                 2.3.2_1                6824B 
samba            install   -                 4.14.11_1              7556KB 

Size to download:               20MB
Size required on disk:          72MB
Space available on disk:        10GB

Do you want to continue? [Y/n] 

[*] Downloading packages
libtdb-1.4.5_1.x86_64.xbps.sig: 512B [avg rate: 13MB/s]
...... o ......
...... o ......
...... o ......

...... o ......
...... o ......
samba-4.14.11_1: installed successfully.

8 downloaded, 8 installed, 0 updated, 8 configured, 0 removed.
[vpm_]  [xbps-install -S samba] return code: 0 

# findsmb
bash: findsmb: command not found
# smbclient -U% -L localhost
bash: smbclient: command not found
#

No need to spend any more time on it, as I can wait.

wiak

Re: VoidPup32 and VoidPup64 --recent explorations

Post by wiak »

mikeslr wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:45 am

(b) For a screen-recorder, MikeWalsh's Xvidcap works once libpng12 libraries were added. I've packaged them here, viewtopic.php?p=47845#p47845

I couldn't resist posting since I had just tested this. As an alternative screen-recorder, tiny little gtkdialog program "weX" also works well in either VoidPup32 or VoidPup64 per my notes here: http://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.p ... 652#p45652

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but the optional embedding of webcam during the screen-recording can be pretty handy and wex is a very small install (including its below dependencies) and the record quality is very high.

Dependencies: Aside from giblib (available from void repos) weX requires small program scrox. Good thing about scrox is that it is simply a slightly modified version of scrot, to provide some additional XY coordinate info needed by weX, so works for normal screenshots exactly like scrot (in fact on all my own systems I always make scrot a symlink to scrox).

How to fetch and install these is also discussed in http://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.p ... 652#p45652

For voidpup32 you need scrox 32bit dotpet, for voidpup64 you need scrox 64bit version.

One thing I noticed is that the gtkdialog User Interface of wex config screen seems to not be quite wide enough now for some reason (though still works fine). I tend to use the default settings but usually select Area/Window mode most often.

Personally, I usually also install mpv (available in Void repos) since wex then auto-provides a button to play back the video with it. I also generally also install fredx181's gifenc-sel animated gif gtkdialog-script since wex then auto-includes a button for that (so can immediately make an animated gif out of any video or screen-recording). Neither of these are necessary to use wex though.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

recobayu

Post by recobayu »

Instead of scrolling too long to choose Asia/Jakarta, is it possible to choose Asia, and then choose Jakarta in Quick Setup, Country, choose timezone?

So the first list are:
Africa
America
Antarctica
Arctic
Asia
Atlantic
Australia
Brazil
Canada

After that, for example, if we choose Asia, then the list shown is only country in Asia.
Aden
Almaty
Amman
Anadyr
Aqtau

So it is very easy for user to choose timezone. :mrgreen:

Thank you.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

recobayu wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:18 pm

Instead of scrolling too long to choose Asia/Jakarta, is it possible to choose Asia, and then choose Jakarta in Quick Setup, Country, choose timezone?

So the first list are:
Africa
America
Antarctica
Arctic
Asia
Atlantic
Australia
Brazil
Canada

After that, for example, if we choose Asia, then the list shown is only country in Asia.
Aden
Almaty
Amman
Anadyr
Aqtau

So it is very easy for user to choose timezone. :mrgreen:

Thank you.

Or easier to implement: Just start the scrollable display list with the GMT listings. FYI, USA>Eastern is near the bottom of the current long list. GMT-5 (Bogota, Lima, New York) would appear immediately in a Time Zone GUI if it started with GMT-0. As would GMT+7, Jakarta's time zone.
It shouldn't take longer to select your time zone than to 'search the internet' to find out what it is. And, if even necessary, you would only have to do such search once.

peebee

Post by peebee »

recobayu wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:18 pm

A longstanding part of Woof-CE that would need gtkdialog coding skills to implement the (quite sensible) improvements you desire....
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... quicksetup

Maybe somebody will step up to the challenge??

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

Duprate

Post by Duprate »

Hi peebee! I installed VoidPup64 and I really liked your work. First, I burned the ISO to a USB stick. Then I started to create a save file. As I usually do with all distros that install it on the HD, I prepared the .sfs files to start in the "Wiak" style, with its "magic initrd" that I like a lot and that I don't give up, for my personal use. Of the two modes tested, it worked very well on the first try. I'm using Pwidgets-2.5.8. I tested LibreOffice-7.2.0, Gimp-2.10.7, Clamav64-0.104.1, Firefox-96.0.2, Seamonkey-2.53.10.2 and Vivaldi-5.0.2497.28. Everything worked very well. These applications are of type ROXapps, are on a hard drive partition, and are in common use by FatDog64-812 and also by Dpup64-9.0.25. With Google Chrome-97.0.4692.71 I had no success. All tested apps were downloaded from their official websites. I did some tests with Wine 3.3-32bits. I made a provisional package, with libs from VoidPup32. At this point, I didn't really know what I was doing. Even so, I managed to start Wine, the PortableApps platform, use PhotoShop 7 and Stellarium for Windows. The games did not start. I have to work harder... I didn't understand anything about using Void Package Manager...
Congratulations on your work, very good for a beta version! :thumbup:

As my text got big, maybe the Google Translator translation contains some error. :shock:

Attachments
xscreenshot-VoidPup64.jpg
xscreenshot-VoidPup64.jpg (144.21 KiB) Viewed 12070 times
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Duprate That is a very nice desktop! I like it a lot. Where did you get those cool icons for the tray(s)?

Duprate

Post by Duprate »

Goodnight! I just used the "neon" icons available on some "puppys" superimposed on a frame. Some icons, I modified using already known figures (browsers, gimp, etc). I used PhotoShop 7, also for the wallpapers. I'm writing and thinking of a practical way to make them available... :thumbup2:

Looking at my PC, (the desktop) all systems look alike. I use the same settings (JWM and conky/Pwidget) in all distros. :mrgreen:
quirks...

I put the icons in /usr/share/pixmaps/neon

Attachments
default.jpg
default.jpg (87.02 KiB) Viewed 12013 times
icons.jpg
icons.jpg (139.37 KiB) Viewed 12013 times
ally

Post by ally »

wow

I like that a lot

nice one

:)

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Okay, so this Pup is now mainline but unfortunately this new thread does not even show the download links for the Puppy. Am I missing something? BTW - Why does VanillaPup not make mainstream Puppy? And may I make another suggestion: There seems to be many mainline Puppys now which may be overwhelming and confusing. A while back a user suggested and made a table/list/map of Puppy releases (well, the idea at least). This is a good idea and a link to such a well-constructed table/map will be very helpful in this section of the forum (or better even an image of the table/map). I think I would be confused if I were new to Puppy.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

amethyst wrote:

This is a good idea and a link to such a well-constructed table/map will be very helpful

Something like this ? -> puppy-linux-collection

VoidPup is still Beta. Soon links will be here. for now they are here viewtopic.php?p=44733#p44733

need someone to collect all the links for where all the Puppy Linux image files are to be accessed.

Next addition to the mainline section will be Vanilla DPup just need @dimkr to be on board with adding the initial pages.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

rockedge wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:09 am
amethyst wrote:

This is a good idea and a link to such a well-constructed table/map will be very helpful

Something like this ? -> puppy-linux-collection

VoidPup is still Beta. Soon links will be here. for now they are here viewtopic.php?p=44733#p44733

Well I think there should be a link to the other link at least. I get a blank page to the " puppy-linux-collection" (this page is not available).

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

need someone to collect all the links for where all the Puppy Linux image files are to be accessed.

I'm talking about an image of the constructed list/table/map of Puppys displayed in the mainline distribution section (maybe a sticky). Oh, okay you mean all the download links for the distributions in the table needs to be collected first?

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@amethyst
I enabled the page again. I forgot I had disabled it after some complaints about it. puppy-linux-collection

Yes I do mean collecting all the important URL's to create an accurate table. Then the list must be maintained and decisions made as to which variants get a billing I would guess. A start at least would be tracking down the relevant links to the image files (iso, img)

Duprate

Post by Duprate »

Good afternoon ! In the first tests with VoidPup64-22.01Beta+5.iso, I was able to use the Vivaldi browser, Google Chrome did not work. Now, I can no longer launch Vivaldi. There were no changes to the system. Everything is loaded into RAM. I don't use savefiles. I'm just reporting.... We're in a Beta version.... I don't expect a perfect race! Firefox and Seamonkey work normally.

All mentioned browsers were downloaded from official websites and are in the latest version. :thumbup2:

peebee

Post by peebee »

Duprate wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:11 pm

All mentioned browsers were downloaded from official websites and are in the latest version. :thumbup2:

Not sure what you mean by official?...

try using the sfs from Get Webbrowser menu item

Duprate

Post by Duprate »

peebee wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:53 pm
Duprate wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:11 pm

Not sure what you mean by official?...

try using the sfs from Get Webbrowser menu item

Hi! By "official sites" I mean the pages of each of the browsers from which I download, preferably in my language. Then I convert them to ROXapps on another partition. When selected for work, they install themselves in a single folder under /home/spot/ without scattering files throughout the system. When turning off the pc, everything dies together! It works like this for me, for over 10 years, with all the other distros, puppyes and non-puppyes, that I am using or have used before. It's my particular way of doing things on my PC... So I depend less on repositories that are often outdated or just don't work...

https://www.google.com.br/chrome/index.html
https://www.mozilla.org/pt-BR/firefox/new/
https://vivaldi.com/pt-br/
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/

Congratulations for your work! :thumbup2:

Attachments
ROXapps.jpg
ROXapps.jpg (69.57 KiB) Viewed 7500 times
Duprate

Post by Duprate »

Hi! Fixing it... After redownloading Vivaldi, configuring and customizing it again, it started working again! :D

But Google Chrome has no way! And I don't need it! In fact, I even hate him... :thumbdown:

Attachments
Vivaldi_in_VoidPup64.jpg
Vivaldi_in_VoidPup64.jpg (135.98 KiB) Viewed 7480 times
peebee

Post by peebee »

Duprate wrote:

Hi! By "official sites" I mean the pages of each of the browsers from which I download, preferably in my language.

Are you downloading Void versions? They must conform to the Void lib64 architecture....

Duprate

Post by Duprate »

Browsers are installed in a single folder (ROXapps), in /home/spot/, run as "spot" and settings and customizations are created within ROXapps (.vivaldi).

End of text in AppRun:
exec -a "$0" "run-as-spot" "$HERE/vivaldi-bin" \ --user-data-dir="$HERE/.vivaldi" "$@"

Similar to this with the other browsers.
It worked until today, in several different distros: Tahr, Bionic64, Slacko64, Xenial64, DebianDog64, Porteus, FatDog64, Makulu, Dpup64 and VoidPup64.

Attachments
vivaldi.jpg
vivaldi.jpg (26.88 KiB) Viewed 7497 times
spot.jpg
spot.jpg (27.09 KiB) Viewed 7497 times
Duprate

Post by Duprate »

Good afternoon! Peebee: Without wanting to abuse your goodwill, I need a 32bit compatibility pack, to use in VoidPup64.
By the way, everyone who wants to use a 32bit version of wine will need ...
Before asking you this, I tried to solve it in every way. I used VoidPup32 libs in a wine32 package that I have... I even got the program starter, started the PortableApps platform, managed to use some windows programs (Photoshop 7, FotoSketcher, SoftMaker, Stellarium), no games!
I know you're very busy.... But it doesn't hurt to ask! :roll:

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Hi Duprate,

Regarding the 32-bit compatibility pack: IIRC, wiak posted on the KLV-Airdale thread that he had installed a 'true multi-architecture' or something to that effect; in any event, a 32-bit User on the 64-bit system. I think that would be a better way to go.
If you're objective is to run 32-bit windows programs there are two alternatives to 'installing wine'. But both have their downsides. See my post here, viewtopic.php?p=47548#p47548 regarding running the Wine-Staging AppImage you can obtain from the link here at the beginning of the thread. It's downside is the 800+ Mb wine32 prefix it installed into /root. That's not a big deal if you use a SaveFolder. But if you're using a SaveFile, I wondered if the technique MikeWalsh and I developed for 'partially externalizing wine' would work. Link to that technique from the post cited.

The other alternative --frankly preferable for security reasons-- is to run wine in a chroot. The security reasons for doing so are discussed here, viewtopic.php?p=21411#p21411. See this thread for those matters you should consider if you want to build your own. viewtopic.php?p=33971#p33971. It is on that thread I posted a link to chrooted-xenialpup32OS with Wine 3.3 built in. viewtopic.php?p=35555#p35555 which will take you here, viewtopic.php?p=35380#p35380 and the link to mediafire.com where the remasterd xenialpup32 can be downloaded.
Again, you are dealing with large file-system: nearly 1Gb. And that's before adding your own Window applications.
To add those: put the downloaded puppy_xenialpup_7.5.sfs in a folder along with xenialpup's other system files (link provided on that thread) add it to your boot menu, boot into xenialpup, add the programs you want and configure them, then remaster xenialpup_7.5. Finally, use the remastered xenialpup_7.5.sfs to create a Chroot SFS per the instructions on the previous thread I mentioned.

peebee

Post by peebee »

Duprate wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:12 pm

I need a 32bit compatibility pack, to use in VoidPup64.

Hi Duprate

I don't know how to do a 32-bit compatibility sfs for VoidPup64 given Void's approach to lib64............ anybody know how Void does it??

https://voidlinux.pkgs.org/current/void ... .xbps.html

shows:

Files
Path
/usr/lib/ld-linux.so.2
/usr/lib32/ld-2.32.so
/usr/lib32/ld-linux.so.2

i.e. everything 32-bit put into .usr/lib32/ - but how is this "made known" to 32-bit apps so that they use these libs??????

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

I have lots of Windows 32-bit programmes. It seems to get that running on a 64-bit system requires a huge "overhead". So will be staying with a 32-bit system for now.

wiak

Post by wiak »

peebee wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:53 am
Duprate wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:12 pm

I need a 32bit compatibility pack, to use in VoidPup64.

Hi Duprate

I don't know how to do a 32-bit compatibility sfs for VoidPup64 given Void's approach to lib64............ anybody know how Void does it??

https://voidlinux.pkgs.org/current/void ... .xbps.html

shows:

Files
Path
/usr/lib/ld-linux.so.2
/usr/lib32/ld-2.32.so
/usr/lib32/ld-linux.so.2

i.e. everything 32-bit put into .usr/lib32/ - but how is this "made known" to 32-bit apps so that they use these libs??????

I think (but not certain) that Void compiles 32bit packages to use /usr/lib32. See here: https://voidlinux.org/news/2014/04/Full ... pport.html
quote from that (but very old info being 2014...):

$ CC="cc -m32" PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR=/usr/lib32/pkgconfig ./configure && make

Also, the following may fill in any extra details of current status and proposals for multilib in Void (but actually this is from Dec2020):
https://github.com/void-linux/void-pack ... sues/27337

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

peebee wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:53 am

I don't, because I haven't tested Void (it doesn't have a Live CD, I would have to downloaded the installer ISO, run and then install it in a VM, before I can even see the configuration ... a load of hassle). That being said ...

... I can answer this, as back in Fatdog64 600 days I used the same folder for 32-bit libs too.
To make it work, you just have to make sure that "/usr/lib32" in listed in /etc/ld.so.conf

wiak

Post by wiak »

jamesbond wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:04 am

I don't, because I haven't tested Void (it doesn't have a Live CD, I would have to downloaded the installer ISO, run and then install it in a VM, before I can even see the configuration ... a load of hassle).

Main rootfs of KLV-airedale is pure Void Linux in structure.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

wiak wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:08 am

Main rootfs of KLV-airedale is pure Void Linux in structure.

Thanks, I downloaded this.

@peebee, this is what I found in KLV's /etc/ld.so.conf:

include /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf

And when I inspect what's under /etc/ld.so.conf.d folder, I saw two files, lib32.conf and usr_local.conf.

The content of /etc/ld.so.conf.d/usr_local.conf is

/usr/local/lib

and the content of /etc/ld.so.conf.d/lib32.conf is, surprise surprise,

/usr/lib32

So yeah, this confirms what I said in my previous post.
Just make sure that you have /usr/lib32 listed inside your /etc/ld.so.conf and all will be good.

Return to “VoidPup”