Audacity Music Editor missing libraries [Solved]

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

stevie pup

Audacity Music Editor missing libraries [Solved]

Post by stevie pup »

I've just tried to install Audacity from the PPM in Fossa and got error message to tell me the following libraries are missing:

libwx_gtk3u_adv-3.0.so.0
libwx_gtk3u_core-3.0.so.0
libwx_gtk3u_html-3.0.so.0
libwx_gtk3u_qa-3.0.so.0

I'm hoping somebody out there understands this, because it's gone straight over my head. So, how do I resolve this?

Thanks

Last edited by stevie pup on Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeslr

Re: Audacity Music Editor

Post by mikeslr »

I'm not currently running Fossapup64. It would be very strange if whoever built Fossapup64's version of Audacity required dependencies not found on Fossapup64's repos. More likely that the missing dependencies are part of the Ubuntu Fossa Focal's structure which wasn't included in Fossapup64's build. If so, you should be able to obtain them via PPM.
Update Puppy Package Manager. Make sure its configured to access all Ubuntu repositories, especially multiverse. Then use the following as PPM's search arguments:
libwx_gtk3u_adv-3.0
libwx_gtk3u_core-3.0
libwx_gtk3u_html-3.0
libwx_gtk3u_qa-3.0.

Note that I've removed the '.so.0' endings. Ubuntu Fossa may have 'moved on' to a later version. The arguments should find the latest version. Installing it will also install a symbolic link to it with the name you found missing.

Frankly, I prefer the easier way to obtain Audacity: get MikeWalsh's portable from here, viewtopic.php?p=45219#p45219

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Actually, I hesitated to mention the portable Audacity, Michael. Recently, I've had a few folk get quite snotty when I've mentioned portable versions of something they're trying to get running.

They've gone out of their way to make it quite clear that they don't want a different version, they simply want to get the version they DO have to work.....

Which IS fair comment, so I won't even suggest anything similar to these individuals in future. I can take a hint..! :D

T'other Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

mikeslr wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:45 pm

I'm not currently running Fossapup64. It would be very strange if whoever built Fossapup64's version of Audacity required dependencies not found on Fossapup64's repos. More likely that the missing dependencies are part of the Ubuntu Fossa Focal's structure which wasn't included in Fossapup64's build. If so, you should be able to obtain them via PPM.
Update Puppy Package Manager. Make sure its configured to access all Ubuntu repositories, especially multiverse. Then use the following as PPM's search arguments:
libwx_gtk3u_adv-3.0
libwx_gtk3u_core-3.0
libwx_gtk3u_html-3.0
libwx_gtk3u_qa-3.0.

Note that I've removed the '.so.0' endings. Ubuntu Fossa may have 'moved on' to a later version. The arguments should find the latest version. Installing it will also install a symbolic link to it with the name you found missing.

Frankly, I prefer the easier way to obtain Audacity: get MikeWalsh's portable from here, viewtopic.php?p=45219#p45219

Thank you for that Mike, if necessary I'll try both options tomorrow.

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:29 am

Actually, I hesitated to mention the portable Audacity, Michael. Recently, I've had a few folk get quite snotty when I've mentioned portable versions of something they're trying to get running.

They've gone out of their way to make it quite clear that they don't want a different version, they simply want to get the version they DO have to work.....

Which IS fair comment, so I won't even suggest anything similar to these individuals in future. I can take a hint..! :D

T'other Mike. ;)

I'm sure the majority of us are grateful for your comments and suggestions Mike, and I don't get why anyone would get snotty about them. Admittedly I would be irritated if someone suggested using some completely different software, which unfortunately some people often do, but I don't have any issue with using a different version of the same software.

Thanks again to you both

wizard

Post by wizard »

@stevie pup
@mikewalsh

I'm sure the majority of us are grateful for your comments and suggestions Mike, and I don't get why anyone would get snotty about them. Admittedly I would be irritated if someone suggested using some completely different software, which unfortunately some people often do, but I don't have any issue with using a different version of the same software.

I look at things a bit different I guess, grateful when anyone has taken their time to read and respond. Suggestions of alternate programs has led me to some real gems. Mike, how about a preface up front like "If you cannot get your xyz version to work consider this version". Anyone with a "snotty" reply to that doesn't really want help.

Just make sure you keep sending all that stuff to me :mrgreen:

Thanks
wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

mikewalsh

Re: Audacity Music Editor missing libraries

Post by mikewalsh »

@stevie pup / @wizard :-

Image Image

Not a bad idea, Wiz . I might adopt it in future. Personally, I'm gobsmacked that anybody considers MY offerings to be worth taking seriously.....

Appreciate the vote of confidence. :D

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

stevie pup wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:00 pm

I've just tried to install Audacity from the PPM in Fossa and got error message to tell me the following libraries are missing:

libwx_gtk3u_adv-3.0.so.0
libwx_gtk3u_qa-3.0.so.0

I first did a data base update in PPM before doing this.

I just installed it from PPM on my Fossapup64 9.5 install, fully updated by Quickpet -> Info -> Fossapup updates.
Audacity v 2.3.3
I get no error messages and it seems to run OK.

I did notice it had to go out and download and install some things from other locations on the internet.
Not locations specific on Ubuntu repository.

You must make sure you actually have enough free space for the complete install.
PPM is bad about no warning that enough space is not there.

Are these errors when you just start Audacity or when you try to do something with it?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Audacity web site has a Appimage of their Linux version.
https://www.audacityteam.org/download/linux/

It also works OK for me.

Note:
Appimage files need to be given exec permission to be able to run.
Right click on it, select properties, check exec options.
This is a security thing.
So it cannot run automatically after downloading.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:24 am

@stevie pup / @wizard :-
Personally, I'm gobsmacked that anybody considers MY offerings to be worth taking seriously.....

Mike. ;)

I just wanted to mention how much mileage I've gotten out your portable version of Xnview. It's gotta be hands down the easiest application available to batch convert images. I used it to do all the icons in the Eye Candy section. And I'm doing many more.

Personally I've never been a big fan of Audacity. I haven't seriously tried it in years, but it used to have this way of chopping up the audio files into digestible bits to process. So it would create these large numbers of smaller proprietary files. It never seemed like a really stable way to go about. Just my two cents.

That being said, there aren't a lot of good alternatives in the linux environment that have it's capabilities.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

bigpup wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:43 am

I first did a data base update in PPM before doing this.

I just installed it from PPM on my Fossapup64 9.5 install, fully updated by Quickpet -> Info -> Fossapup updates.
Audacity v 2.3.3
I get no error messages and it seems to run OK.

I did notice it had to go out and download and install some things from other locations on the internet.
Not locations specific on Ubuntu repository.

You must make sure you actually have enough free space for the complete install.
PPM is bad about no warning that enough space is not there.

First off I started again, made sure everything was updated and plenty of space, and still got same error message re missing libraries. Even tried to search for them manually but couldn't find them. Couldn't figure out what was going on here, so moved on and gave Mike's portable a try, success! Admittedly it took me three attempts to get the menu entry to work, but that was my own fault. I didn't bother to look at the "menu readme" until I had two failed attempts, so that'll teach me. :oops:

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:24 am

Not a bad idea, Wiz . I might adopt it in future. Personally, I'm gobsmacked that anybody considers MY offerings to be worth taking seriously.....

So you can take my success as another vote of confidence Mike. Still don't understand why anyone would grumble about it being "different version" though.

As I've got where I wanted to be I'm going to mark this thread as solved, and won't be bothering to try the appimage, but thank you again for everyone's input.

norgo

Post by norgo »

stevie pup wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:00 pm

libwx_gtk3u_adv-3.0.so.0
libwx_gtk3u_qa-3.0.so.0

I'm hoping somebody out there understands this, because it's gone straight over my head. So, how do I resolve this?

Audacity won't run with the regular wxWidgets
If you are familiar with compiling you could build the needed libs from source.

Code: Select all

git clone --recurse-submodules https://github.com/audacity/wxWidgets/

cd wxWidgets
mkdir buildgtk
cd buildgtk

../configure --with-gtk
make

a powerful CPU is recommendable ;-)

Return to “Fossapup64”