Telegram gives "segmentation faults" error

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

dorothee

Telegram gives "segmentation faults" error

Post by dorothee »

Hello,

I need to use Telegram desktop, but it does not work, giving me a "segmentation faults".

I use a very old computer with 450Mo of Ram (+swap) with a mobile AMD Athlon(tm) XP-M 2600+ processor. It is quite limited, but I manage to do usual works.

I tried Telegram on various distros, but it still gives me this error. Is there a way to resolve this with my material? Telegram web doesn't work either, and I can't update browsers because of the processor.

Compliqué, compliqué!

Thanks for your answers,

Sony VAIO - Xenial 32 bit
Processeur: 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5500 @ 1.66GHz
Memory: 1015Mo

artemis

Re: Telegram gives "segmentation faults" error

Post by artemis »

hello! i do not have a system to test on but if you can get https://github.com/vysheng/tg to build maybe it will be enough to do something you need. it is a basic client you can use from the terminal, not all the features of the real desktop client, but enough to talk to people if you have no other option. i cannot try to build it myself right now for you because I am busy, unfortunately.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@dorothee :-

There are three reasons why that machine will never be able to run Telegram.

1) Telegram is coded for 64-bit operation.....and you only have a 32-bit machine. All software development is now moving to 64-bit, and 32-bit is being dumped on the scrap-heap. (64-bit is now considered a mature technology, since it's been around for nearly 20 years.....and in the eyes of most developers, 32-bit machines should have been scrapped at least a decade ago.)

2) Your Athlon XP-M simply doesn't have new enough instruction sets to be able to run Telegram. Yours is only SSE-capable.....and Telegram, like most 'Electron'-based apps, requires at least SSE3.

3) That "segmentation fault" means that Telegram tried to access memory it was not allowed to touch. In the running state, Telegram by itself will require more than your machine possesses.....and out of what you DO have, Puppy will need at least some of that simply to function. It's simple arithmetic.....and it doesn't "add up".

Puppy is very good at keeping old hardware going, but even Puppy can't work miracles with what doesn't exist.

----------------------------------------------

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but you just don't have the resources to run Telegram. it's nothing to do with finding the right Puppy, the hardware simply isn't there.

Can you not use something else instead? MUST it be Telegram.....will nothing else do?

Even running an SSE-only browser, the web version of Telegram will still look for, and expect to find, instruction sets that you simply do not HAVE.

################### [ GOOGLE TRANSLATE] #############################

Il y a trois raisons pour lesquelles cette machine ne pourra jamais exécuter Telegram.

1) Telegram est codé pour un fonctionnement 64 bits ..... et vous n'avez qu'une machine 32 bits. Tout le développement logiciel passe maintenant au 64 bits, et le 32 bits est jeté à la ferraille. (Le 64 bits est maintenant considéré comme une technologie mature, puisqu'il existe depuis près de 20 ans... et aux yeux de la plupart des développeurs, les machines 32 bits auraient dû être abandonnées il y a au moins une décennie.)

2) Votre Athlon XP-M n'a tout simplement pas suffisamment de jeux d'instructions pour pouvoir exécuter Telegram. Le vôtre n'est compatible qu'avec SSE-capable ..... et Telegram, comme la plupart des ' Les applications basées sur Electron nécessitent au moins SSE3.

3) Ce "défaut de segmentation" signifie que Telegram a essayé d'accéder à la mémoire qu'il n'était pas autorisé à toucher. Dans l'état de fonctionnement, Telegram en lui-même nécessitera plus que ce que votre machine possède ..... et à partir de ce que vous avez, Puppy aura besoin d'au moins une partie de cela pour simplement fonctionner. C'est de l'arithmétique simple ..... et ça ne "s'additionne" pas.

Puppy est très bon pour faire fonctionner le vieux matériel, mais même Puppy ne peut pas faire de miracles avec ce qui n'existe pas.

----------------------------------------------

Je suis désolé d'être le porteur de mauvaises nouvelles, mais vous n'avez tout simplement pas les ressources nécessaires pour exécuter Telegram. cela n'a rien à voir avec la recherche du bon chiot, le matériel n'est tout simplement pas là.

Ne pouvez-vous pas utiliser autre chose à la place ? DOIT-il être Telegram ..... rien d'autre ne fera l'affaire ?

Même en exécutant un navigateur SSE uniquement, la version Web de Telegram recherchera toujours et s'attendra à trouver des jeux d'instructions que vous n'avez tout simplement pas.

Mike. :|

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

artemis

Post by artemis »

mikewalsh wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:09 pm

2) Your Athlon XP-M simply doesn't have new enough instruction sets to be able to run Telegram. Yours is only SSE-capable.....and Telegram, like most 'Electron'-based apps, requires at least SSE3.

telegram's desktop app is actually all native and based on qt, see https://github.com/telegramdesktop/tdesktop. and if it was trying to use SSE it would be crashing with SIGILL Illegal Instruction instead of SIGSEGV Segmentation Fault. I am really not sure why it might be crashing on their computer but I do not think it is because of SSE.

dorothee

Post by dorothee »

@mikewalsh

Thank you very much for your extensive answer. I was quite sure that my anteworldcreation laptop would not handle such modern stuff. But I didn't risk much trying...

I shall go on with my tablet which crash every 20m.

It's really time to renew my material !

Thanks a lot, ciao

@artemis

Thanks for your proposal. Unfortunatly, I'd like to use all features of Telegram, But I'll try it, because it sounds interesting.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Which puppy are you using? As well it may be possible an older version of Telegram works.

IRC: firepup | Time to hack Puppy!

dorothee

Post by dorothee »

@Phoenix

I usualy use Precise, with my universaly famous remastered Pipoca (its a joke). For older versions of Telegram, I don't know which one and it would be necessary to compile it, no?. I tried also portable telegram, the last one for XP (1.8... I think), but it didn't work either. My wine version (1.7.18) may be to old. Everything is to old, even myself, sometimes...

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Phoenix :-

Highly unlikely an older version of Telegram would even connect, much less even work. The folks behind Telegram regularly deprecate anything more than a couple of versions old, and the app will insist on auto-updating whether you want it to or not. If you're on 32-bit, it'll download & install a 64-bit version over the top.....and then it won't work anyway.

Mike. :|

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Users”