/etc/modules
/proc/config.gz

Thank you very much!
I'll give it a try!

nocsak

Re: EasyOS Dunfell-series version 4.2.3 released

Post by nocsak »

Hello again!

I've just compiled the kernel matching from this EasyOS version and it is a magic!
I've configured some extra features like codepage_850 and _852 and default cpu scaling governor to powersave, increased cpu core numbers to 64, checked ia32 binary emulation support and set NILFS2 support enabled.
And after a clear boot of NosPup64 which is a cooperation rework of a custom built Vanilla Dpup Bullseye64 variant mainly repaired by our community member ticoo1 and others - and checked dmesg and no errors found!

So the magic is in EasyOS kernel's dotconfig!

I would like to say thanks to BarryK, giving me answers and ideas!

After the clear boot without any tweaking kernel parameters, puppy had booted up with modesetting driver and hardinfo says it uses intel but because vgaswitcheroo is active and dmesg is also say it has enabled so everything looks fine now with this kernel under Puppy and Hybrid Graphics notebook. Of course it hasn't the modified Xorgwizard from EasyOS, but it is now works without that ugly errors previously.

The kernel I've just compiled is placed here. Now I go to the corresponding topic in this forum, and write this solution to there too.

Thanks for your help again!

Philh

Post by Philh »

I get resource busy on shutting down.
I dont know if thats normal.

Attachments
resourcebusy.jpg
resourcebusy.jpg (33.75 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
Airdale

Post by Airdale »

Been playing around with the Limine bootloader on one of my old Dell laptops. I have a couple of versions of Easy as well as Windows on it... formerly used Grub4Dos. Tried it out just for the fun of it and works real well.

On an unrelated matter, I have a strange problem with this version of Easy though. If I set the save option to "ask to save" every shutdown, I can select the save session option at shutdown and everything is saved.
However, if I select the option to "automatically save on shutdown" nothing happens.

Pretty sure this used to work a couple of minor versions bumps back... I wonder if maybe I messed something up tinkering with updating back and forth? Where should I look under the hood to try to debug this? Some of this new layered filesystem is kind of over my head.

Airdale

Post by Airdale »

Airdale wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:40 pm

Been playing around with the Limine bootloader on one of my old Dell laptops. I have a couple of versions of Easy as well as Windows on it... formerly used Grub4Dos. Tried it out just for the fun of it and works real well.

On an unrelated matter, I have a strange problem with this version of Easy though. If I set the save option to "ask to save" every shutdown, I can select the save session option at shutdown and everything is saved.
However, if I select the option to "automatically save on shutdown" nothing happens.

Pretty sure this used to work a couple of minor versions bumps back... I wonder if maybe I messed something up tinkering with updating back and forth? Where should I look under the hood to try to debug this? Some of this new layered filesystem is kind of over my head.

One more bit of information.... looks like if I push the "save session" button at least once during the session, creating an interim .session - auto save at shutdown then works.
All the changes after the interim save are still saved.

Hopefully makes sense what I am trying to say
If set to auto save at shutdown nothing happens (and /var/local/zran1-save-shutdown-auto is indeed set to true)
If I set to ask to save (and then select save session during shutdown) changes are saved.
If I save the session in the middle of the sesssion AND have auto save at shutdown selected - changes are saved.

Starting to boggle my mind....

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Airdale wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:47 pm

If set to auto save at shutdown nothing happens

confirmed that there is no changes with 4.2.3 when auto save is selected.

on a slightly different subject, IMHO

the "save at shutdown" choices should only be set or changed in the Save Session dialog when it is called from the desktop icon.

if "ask at every shutdown" is in effect, then a simple but different and dedicated "save/no save" button should be presented at shutdown

Changing the save preferences at shutdown time can be confusing, as the Save Session dialog has multiple functions.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Philh wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:24 pm

I get resource busy on shutting down.
I dont know if thats normal.

Yes, that is a work-in-progress, trying to kill anything that prevents unmounting.
Those messages are for my information, it doesn't cause any errors.
I probably should remove them in release builds.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Airdale wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:40 pm

I have added to the to-do list to check that. It could be broken, as I think only tried it once, way back when first implemented it.

The next release of Easy will allow you to get rid of session saving entirely, if you want:

https://bkhome.org/news/202207/restore- ... drive.html

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

williwaw wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:14 pm
Airdale wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:47 pm

If set to auto save at shutdown nothing happens

confirmed that there is no changes with 4.2.3 when auto save is selected.

Found the cause, fixed /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

williwaw wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:14 pm

the "save at shutdown" choices should only be set or changed in the Save Session dialog when it is called from the desktop icon.

if "ask at every shutdown" is in effect, then a simple but different and dedicated "save/no save" button should be presented at shutdown

Changing the save preferences at shutdown time can be confusing, as the Save Session dialog has multiple functions.

OK, done.

Return to “EasyOS”