HDSentinel 'portable' - monitor your drives via S.M.A.R.T

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

HDSentinel 'portable' - monitor your drives via S.M.A.R.T

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, gang.

Following wizard's SmartChk utility, I had a look around to see what else was available. I wanted something that would still make use of the S.M.A.R.T data modern drives put out, but which wasn't quite as "comprehensive" & complicated as GSmartControl; easier to comprehend, yet would still give warnings if issues were detected. My searching led me to here:-

HDSentinel

The Linux version is one of those which uses an 'install.sh' to install the thing, though the snag with these is that they don't show up in the PPM. Once installed, they can ONLY be manually removed. 32- & 64-bit versions are both available, so I figured that since this IS pretty small, combine the two into a single 'portable'....

---------------------------------------------------

Accordingly, I've extracted the "inner" tarballs, removed the necessary files - a pair of statically-compiled binaries in each case - and simply created a pair of directories within the 'portable'. There's one for the command-line utility, and one for the GUI; both are needed, because although the CLI runs by itself, the GUI relies on this as its 'backend'.

No launcher provided here, since I can't get one to work in any way, shape or form; a direct click is the only way to start the thing. All you need to do is enter the relevant directory for your "arch" (either HDS32 or HDS64), then click on the HDSentinel_GUI binary to fire it up. A small window appears, asking for a 'sudo' password; all you need to do is enter "root" here (thanks, Grey!), then 'OK' it.

All drives should be detected, and SSDs are catered-for as well as HDDs. It appears to run in every Puppy I've thrown it at, from Fossapup64 all the way back as far as Micko's 32-bit Slacko 5.6.0 from over 8 years ago.

To quit, you need to use the 'File' menu, then 'OK' the small window that asks if you're sure you want to leave. Simples. :)

-------------------------------------------

Anyone who wants to try this can find it here:-

https://mega.nz/folder/vGQTGaqD#-63TbUDShU6e8BTKDea0kw

See what y'all think of it. Hope it's useful.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Geek3579

Re: HDSentinel 'portable' - monitor your drives via S.M.A.R.T

Post by Geek3579 »

I just tried this on LXpupSc64 19.09 and it worked very quickly, picking up my M.2 SSD. I also have a Flash HDD ( mmcblk) which is the windows drive (which I never use) but it did not pick it up - guess its not a "real" HDD ?

Anyway, thanks Mike - very useful tool. I really appreciate your efforts.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Geek3579 :-

Glad it's useful. I confess, I don't really understand eMMC storage; what are we talking about, here.....an eeePC? From what I gather, eMMC predates even SD flash cards, but it's almost certainly the controller that makes them awkward for Puppy to access.....it doesn't work in quite the same way as those on a flash drive, SD card, even a 'proper' SSD.

Anyways; it's another option for the community, so if it works, that's the main thing.

Mike. ;)

josejp2424

Post by josejp2424 »

mikewalsh wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:48 pm

Afternoon, gang.

Following wizard's SmartChk utility, I had a look around to see what else was available. I wanted something that would still make use of the S.M.A.R.T data modern drives put out, but which wasn't quite as "comprehensive" & complicated as GSmartControl; easier to comprehend, yet would still give warnings if issues were detected. My searching led me to here:-

HDSentinel

The Linux version is one of those which uses an 'install.sh' to install the thing, though the snag with these is that they don't show up in the PPM. Once installed, they can ONLY be manually removed. 32- & 64-bit versions are both available, so I figured that since this IS pretty small, combine the two into a single 'portable'....

---------------------------------------------------

Accordingly, I've extracted the "inner" tarballs, removed the necessary files - a pair of statically-compiled binaries in each case - and simply created a pair of directories within the 'portable'. There's one for the command-line utility, and one for the GUI; both are needed, because although the CLI runs by itself, the GUI relies on this as its 'backend'.

No launcher provided here, since I can't get one to work in any way, shape or form; a direct click is the only way to start the thing. All you need to do is enter the relevant directory for your "arch" (either HDS32 or HDS64), then click on the HDSentinel_GUI binary to fire it up. A small window appears, asking for a 'sudo' password; all you need to do is enter "root" here (thanks, Grey!), then 'OK' it.

All drives should be detected, and SSDs are catered-for as well as HDDs. It appears to run in every Puppy I've thrown it at, from Fossapup64 all the way back as far as Micko's 32-bit Slacko 5.6.0 from over 8 years ago.

To quit, you need to use the 'File' menu, then 'OK' the small window that asks if you're sure you want to leave. Simples. :)

-------------------------------------------

Anyone who wants to try this can find it here:-

https://mega.nz/folder/vGQTGaqD#-63TbUDShU6e8BTKDea0kw

See what y'all think of it. Hope it's useful.

Mike. ;)

thanks @mikewalsh

debianfan

Post by debianfan »

Is there any other download link? This network disk can't be opened, there is an error

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@debianfan :-

debianfan wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:56 am

Is there any other download link? This network disk can't be opened, there is an error

Yeah, some folks have problems with both my GoogleDrive AND MEGA.nz accounts, for some reason. Try this link at MediaFire:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/192ur8 ... HDSentinel

Let me know if that one works for you, please. It doesn't usually seem to present the same issues..!

Mike. ;)

debianfan

Post by debianfan »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:41 am

@debianfan :-

debianfan wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:56 am

Yeah, some folks have problems with both my GoogleDrive AND MEGA.nz accounts, for some reason. Try this link at MediaFire:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/192ur8 ... HDSentinel

Let me know if that one works for you, please. It doesn't usually seem to present the same issues..!

Mike. ;)

thank you very much! download successful!

Return to “Utilities”