KLV-Airedale-beta+ Released, Ready for Download

Kennel Linux Void-based

Moderator: Forum moderators

Ramachandra Iyer

Re: KLV-Airedale-beta+ Released, Ready for Download

Post by Ramachandra Iyer »

How to install debian package in KLV-Airedale. As I have to install canon printer driver on KLV. Is any simple method?

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

use xdeb

download the .deb file and open a terminal in the download directory :

Code: Select all

xdeb -Sde <name>_<version>_<arch>.deb

then follow the instructions and run xbxdeb -Sde <name>_<version>_<arch>.debps-install to finish the installation.

What happens is xdeb converts the .deb into the .xbps format then the package can be installed with xbps

Ramachandra Iyer

Please see the below output

root# ls
cnrdrvcups-ufr2-uk_5.50-1.00_amd64 cnrdrvcups-ufr2-uk_5.50-1.00_amd64.deb
root# xdeb cnrdrvcups-ufr2-uk_5.50-1.00_amd64
\033[1m[\033[31m!\033[0;1m] Last argument has to point to an existing deb package\033[0m
root#

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Ramachandra Iyer

Converting your package

1. Convert the package (xdeb -Sde <name>_<version>_<arch>.deb)

2. Install the package (xbps-install -R binpkgs <name>)

The xdeb switches are important xdeb -Sde <name>_<version>_<arch>.deb

Flags

You should generally run xdeb with -Sde, which stands for "Sync dependency file, enable dependencies, remove empty directories".

This following section I will be adjusting in KLV-Airedale

Alternatively, use your shells rc, to always run xdeb with the suggested options.

export XDEB_OPT_DEPS=true
export XDEB_OPT_SYNC=true
export XDEB_OPT_WARN_CONFLICT=true
export XDEB_OPT_FIX_CONFLICT=true
Ramachandra Iyer

I have to access the windows partition frequently however, KLV is not mounting windows partition. Linux partitions are shown on desktop.

Note. I have installed Canon Network Printer after some trail and error method. I have done test printing. Great !!!
Installed CUPS plus filters and then Canon debian package. xbps created through command line however installed with the help of xbps packet manager (accessories menu).

Libreoffice - writer alone also installed. How to istall GTK3 or something for bigger font menu etc ?. I don't remember the file required for the same.

Last edited by Ramachandra Iyer on Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Ramachandra Iyer Some of this is good news! Good job on the printer setup.

I will have to check why the Windows partitions are not mounting. Can you please test whether or not this works...
in a terminal use wd_mount to mount the partition like this :

wd_mount <the_win_partition_name>

Then look with Rox at /mnt/<the_win_partition_name> and then with Thunar.

Appreciate your help!

@fredx181, @wiak is there way to test this out I don't have a Windows partition to use at this time!

I would need to set up a NTFS partition somewhere I guess.

Ramachandra Iyer

Command output as given below

wd_mount sda3
/dev/sda3 on /mnt/sda3 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,blksize=4096)

No option found on file manager. Anyway I will check once again later.

Static eth is working perfectly on network manager

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Ramachandra Iyer It looks like wd_mount worked and sda3 is mounted. It should be accessible by using a file manager to look into /mnt/sda3.

I found that the drive (sda3) icon will disappear from the desktop once it is mounted using wd_mount but will be ready in the file managers

Ramachandra Iyer

Posting from home. Before leaving from office, I have glanced the file manager and it was not listed. Anyway I will the same tomorrow morning. Another issue how to edit menu . The problem is that I have installed google chrome after downloading deb package. Menu was created without google chrome icon and not launching from menu and tried to launch through terminal. It was found that problem was sandbox. I have added google-chrome --no-sandbox. Finally it was come to live and desktop launch was created. However, it was not launching google chrome from menu due to want of "no-sandbox" on execution line. How to edit google chrome menu and also icon/symbol on menu.

I would like to know whether google-chrome will update with system update or every time I have to create package and install the same manually ?.

After installation of cups and driver. Adding printer is super easy and menu was also created for adding printer and also for Canon Printer Utility. !!!. :thumbup:

This week end possibly I will test KLV on my HP Laptop having nvme SSD which is available at my native place. (Grub cfg and all others on separate EFI partition).

I would also like to inform you that I have also done frugal install of EndeavourOS via your script. Seems to be Okay.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Ramachandra Iyer wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:32 pm

... I would like to know whether google-chrome will update with system update or every time I have to create package and install the same manually ?...

Use package manager to remove Chrome and then, re-install. Update in Linux/Puppy is still not possible, ATM.

Ramachandra Iyer

Clarity wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:51 pm

se package manager to remove Chrome and then, re-install. Update in Linux/Puppy is still not possible, ATM.

Why I am asking is that KLV is considered as different kind of distro. It has cutting edge updation utility integrated with KLV nicely. So It may be possible. Waiting for updated google-chrome. So that we can test whether it is automatically updating or not.

How to edit menu entry and also program icon on menu entry?

Last edited by Ramachandra Iyer on Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ramachandra Iyer

Auto mounting windows and other partitions including efi parition is not vissible. I like to have listing of partitions on desktop like available on Puppy or easyOs. Listing partitions and mounting partition in Fossapup, vanila, Easyos and others is nicely integrated. Looking for same option in KLV. Hope it can adopted in KLV.

Please see below link. Is it possible on KLV?.

https://ask.libreoffice.org/t/libreoffi ... mall/34225

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Ramachandra Iyer wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:13 am

Auto mounting windows and other partitions including efi parition is not vissible. I like to have listing of partitions on desktop like available on Puppy or easyOs. Listing partitions and mounting partition in Fossapup, vanila, Easyos and others is nicely integrated. Looking for same option in KLV. Hope it can adopted in KLV.

Please see below link. Is it possible on KLV?.

https://ask.libreoffice.org/t/libreoffi ... mall/34225

Perhaps you can try pup-volume-monitor viewtopic.php?p=47159#p47159
It's behavior is different than the default gvfs drive icons.

Looks like Void does not have the libreoffice -gtk option such as in Debian and Ubuntu.

Ramachandra Iyer

Perhaps you can try pup-volume-monitor viewtopic.php?p=47159#p47159
It's behavior is different than the default gvfs drive icons.

Thank you very much. It served my purpose. :thumbup2: However, unable to save the file after editing the file from windows partition. eg.word file. How to bypass this issue?

Last edited by Ramachandra Iyer on Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ramachandra Iyer

Please see my desktop

klvair.png
klvair.png (275.3 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
Ramachandra Iyer

I have attempted to boot KLV from my internal hard disk ndme SSD (HP Laptop) through grub.cfg. However, still it is not booting !!. The output is as follows:-

Seeking boot partition
Delay will be variable up to timeout of 30 seconds.......................
Please wait............................ In initrd/init at seek timeout. Enter exit continue boot.

If Enter, getting cursor blinking only. Required hard boot. What next. I am disappointed.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Ramachandra Iyer wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:58 pm

I have attempted to boot KLV from my internal hard disk ndme SSD (HP Laptop) through grub.cfg. However, still it is not booting !!. The output is as follows:-

Seeking boot partition
Delay will be variable up to timeout of 30 seconds.......................
Please wait............................ In initrd/init at seek timeout. Enter exit continue boot.

If Enter, getting cursor blinking only. Required hard boot. What next. I am disappointed.

There was a discussion about that (booting from nvme SSD) and @wiak made a fix for the initrd.gz (edit: see info here: viewtopic.php?p=54303#p54303), but it's not included yet in newest KLV beta AFAIK.
Replacing the initrd.gz in your install with this one https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... kJyqcpk0lF should make it work.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Ramachandra Iyer :-

About the closest thing we have to an auto-updating Chrome ATM is the 'portable' Chrome I built, together with its built-in updater. It will check for, and tell you whether an update is available, but you DO need to manually click the button on the notification script to agree to the update.

TBH, this will update it more frequently, because you get many of the 'in-between' patch builds, unlike Chrome's built-in 'cron-updater', which only serves up major 'point' releases.

You can find it here:-

viewtopic.php?t=146

Probably not what you want, but it's the best we have to offer at the moment. Entirely up to you.

Mike. ;)

Ramachandra Iyer

My HP laptop having nvme SSD (internal HDD) is not booting even after proposed change in intird.gz.

Update : I have swapped the vmlinux from antix linux with that of klv. Some scrolling of Boot process occurred and later struck at 104035 Run /init as init process. I feel that there is some issue in initrd. ?.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Ramachandra Iyer wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:24 am

My HP laptop having nvme SSD (internal HDD) is not booting even after proposed change in intird.gz.

Update : I have swapped the vmlinux from antix linux with that of klv. Some scrolling of Boot process occurred and later struck at 104035 Run /init as init process. I feel that there is some issue in initrd. ?.

For me the modified initrd works OK on nvme SSD, but probably my setup is different from yours.
I use this: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/other/ ... -puppy.zip for UEFI booting from a small FAT32 partition, see also here: viewtopic.php?p=54651#p54651
And probably "secure boot" needs to be disabled to make KLV boot (dual booting with Windows will be problematic, I guess (I cannot test that)).

Please provide more details on how you have setup things, boot stanza etc....

Ramachandra Iyer

I have created fat32 GPT partition and put efi folder containing boot & grub folders on fat partition. enabled boot, esp. Grub folder contain x86_84.efi & grub.cfg. This file got from debain dog forum. I have booted KLVAIRDALE and endeavouros created through weedog script.

menuentry "Vanila Dpup" {
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 883a7a72-6eb2-45db-99a8-2a6bf04a262d
linux /WDL_endeavXFCE/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=UUID=883a7a72-6eb2-45db-99a8-2a6bf04a262d=/WDL_endeavXFCE
initrd /WDL_endeavXFCE/initrd.gz
}
menuentry "KLV AIRDALE" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root d9bb49e4-6dbc-4839-a255-d7e8021751c5
linux /klvair/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=UUID=d9bb49e4-6dbc-4839-a255-d7e8021751c5=/klvair w_changes=UUID=d9bb49e4-6dbc-4839-a255-d7e8021751c5=/klvair
initrd /klvair/initrd.gz
}
menuentry "Puppy fossapup64 9.5" {
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 8f553b5c-05b2-4159-a93e-bb7df1c13b69
linux /puppy22/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pdrv=rootantiX21 psubdir=/puppy22
initrd /puppy22/initrd.gz
}

menuentry "Power Off" {
halt
}

menuentry "Reboot" {
reboot
}

Note. Secure boot & fast boot disabled.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Mmm.. your stanza looks OK, so don't know why it works for me and not for you.
Can only say again what works for me, extracted http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/other/ ... -puppy.zip on my FAT32 partition (only that, no /boot/grub) and grub.cfg on the root of that partition.
Contents of my /mnt/nvme0n1p1/EFI/boot/ folder:

2022-04-23-105752_297x261_scrot.png
2022-04-23-105752_297x261_scrot.png (19.72 KiB) Viewed 1908 times
wiak

Post by wiak »

Ramachandra Iyer wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:24 am

I'm surprised that using the very latest WDL initrd.gz didn't work with your nvme SSD, especially since you also have secure boot disabled.

Assuming the initrd.gz you used is the latest, which is fetched with get_WDLskelinitrd_latest.sh script attached to this thread first post: https://weedoglinux.rockedge.org/viewtopic.php?p=355

Unfortunately I have nothing further to add that might help. Would be good to know what is the difference with antiX but finding that out might be difficult and a lot of work.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Ramachandra Iyer

Hope one day I will be able to boot from my nvme SSD. I have done lot of tinkering, still no improvement. I have constraints due to my limited knowledge and age etc. Anyway my sincere thanks to all of you for extending help to me.
You may please not that I have using KLV as main OS for my office work. Working fine in HP laptop having normal HD. Kodus to all Guru. Now time has arrived for final release.?

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Ramachandra Iyer wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:16 pm

Now time has arrived for final release.?

I gave up on keeping up with you guys as you were going into all these finer boot issues and all, but I'm planning on running this OS again, maybe I should get the latest beta and run it for awhile. It seems like the future of puppy evolution.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Beta13 is ready and available for download. Check first post in this topic for the link or https://rockedge.org/kernels

This version contains @wiak's latest skeleton initrd.gz and w_init. @fredx181's contributions are at the their latest revisions.

The .deb package to .xbps package converter xdeb, has been upgraded to it's latest version.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hi @rockedge and thanks for this version of KLV-Airedale. This point, I make, is minor and has NO dramatic impact: This is just a cosmetic request to be helpful. Should a change at the bottom of the Opening Post to this thread from

...can be downloaded ... in ISO->Kennel Linux

to

...can be downloaded ... in ISO->Kennel_Linux->Airedale

help to get users to the various versions quicker?

Tests

• Just downloaded and started in QEMU. This version is speedy on this PC.

• Also tested via QEMU, booting KLV via the SG2D USB stick. No issues. Next test is use of stick in bare-metal.

• Bare-metal tests completed booting the ISO file via SG2D and taking the RAM0 option to desktop. No issues to report:Smooth, fast, and clean!

Question:
Seems I thought I had found how to get virtual desks on the taskbar (done during the Alpha version testing), BUT I cannot remember now. Guidance please.

Edit: I got confused being away from KLV for a few days. The virtual desks ARE on the taskbar ... just on the right side of the taskbar. The theme made it hard to see them and I GOT CONFUSED. Too many Linux tests on my part with the various taskbar implementations.

Thanks again everyone for this wonderful distro.

Last edited by Clarity on Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Clarity :-

Menu->Settings->Settings Manager->Workspaces.

Mike. ;)

wiak

Post by wiak »

I'm back using my old dev machine again and started with weedogged Zorin on it, and been using that. Finally tonight got round to downloading KLV beta13 but thought, oh no, that won't work from my hard drive, but of course it does - this old machine couldn't care less about signed kernels...!!!

I must say I am impressed with the nifty speed of KLV Airedale compared to weedogged Zorin. The latter boots faster for some reason, but no comparison one booted in - KLV Airedale seems particularly fast (similar to Fossapup on this laptop, but seems slightly faster actually - e.g. geany starts up in 2 sec but takes 3 sec on Fossa - not a big deal or any real test of course, but certainly all going well).
EDIT2: I was wrong about Zorin booting faster on this old dev machine - it actually takes almost twice as long as KLV-Airedale to boot! It was on the other new super-fast machine I had that Zorin seemed to boot fast, but that is to be expected since very fast machine that one...

Very easy to work with this distro - I'll almost certainly stick with it in preference to Zorin on this machine now. Zorin is better polished, I have to say, but that can be fixed over time, and Zorin is not well-configured for dev work - unlike KLV, which has all the usual Puppylike facilities for working with sfs files and isos and more very conveniently. Zorin feels pretty slow on this machine comparatively and I don't know why that is - maybe has too many services running in the background, but difficult to fix that (since big part of Zorin operation) so easier just to stick with using KLV. I mean to try it with SG2D soon because I want to try the addition I added to the initrd that makes it possible to put the iso in own directory in BOOTISOS and with own upper_changes and w_init (so all the advantages of normal frugal install, which makes SG2D much more interesting to me too - is SG2D being developed still though - didn't really seem to be though Clarity suggested it was? I really do prefer it to Ventoy for such purposes).

EDIT: I just checked SG2D github site again, and alas I see no activity or issues being answered, which is a pity really. I know some feel Clarity posted far too often about SG2D, well true really, but I think he did this forum a favour by making us take note of such work (which was otherwise basically being ignored here) - however, if it is now dead project that's a real shame. That's the problem with projects that are simply one-man-band efforts. Pretty much nothing on this forum is one-man-band; often started with one person, but with recipes and followers, users and contributors so no project here ever really 'dies'.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak I ran the Zoneminder build script on 4 different KLV-Airedale's, 2 beta12 and 2 on beta13 and in all cases the build and install was successful. One issue has appeared though but I have seen the same problem on some newer Fossapup's as well that any folders ZM needs to create for events have permissions of 640 which does not work. Once a monitor/camera is configured I have to go and manually change the permissions to 755 and then events are written correctly. This appears to be a umask problem somewhere. I try to fix it by adding umask 022 to /home/www-data/.bashrc

It's still interesting to watch the script go and actually finishes error free.

I am also compiling now regularly with KLV-Airedale and if we need to add any more handy utilities for a better dev platform we will. First candidate is something to add for making ISO and IMG files. I have not been able to find a way yet to easily add the commands:

mkisofs -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -D -l -R -v -V "KLV-Airedale" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o "KLV-Airedale-beta13.iso" KLV-Airedale-beta13
isohybrid KLV-Airedale-beta13.iso

Any tool that does those lines job will suffice.

There is a possibility that the umask issue is being caused by using Hiawatha instead of Apache as the web server for Zoneminder. This I will and must test. Easy to have both onboard and switch from one to the other.

I have even almost run the woof-CE kernel-kit with KLV successfully. Needs some definitions to find stuff but being frugally installed next to Puppy's there might be a way to share the local package repo stuff so KLV can build a Puppy kernel. But this is not in any way important. Easy dev work is one of the goals not necessarily woof-CE.

Main thing missing now is the ISO/IMG creation tools AND the actual WDL build script PLUG file to make a KLV-Airedale. There is just so much manual configuration and juggling to make the thing that it will be a bit challenging to script it.

We have many many options though that work and that PLUG that makes the lighter JWM - Rox combo Void system still cranks those out so there is light at the end of the tunnel

Return to “KLV-Airedale”