Error msg: Booting find /menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst /grub/menu.lst

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Hipotalamus

Error msg: Booting find /menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst /grub/menu.lst

Post by Hipotalamus »

When i try to install to puppy linux i get this error message

booting find /menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst /grub/menu.lst

Im very newbie on linux. I dont know any code and no have any linux experience.
any idea?

I can install others linux distro. But puppy not installing.
Thanks.

Last edited by Hipotalamus on Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
rockedge
Site Admin

Re: booting find /menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst /grub/menu.lst

Post by rockedge »

Hello ! :welcome:

How are you installing Puppy Linux and which version is it? Is the installation on a hard drive, usb drive or optic disk?

Hipotalamus

Post by Hipotalamus »

I try to install on harddisk.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Can you show the file manager at where you installed it at?

IRC: firepup | Time to hack Puppy!

Hipotalamus

Post by Hipotalamus »

Sorry I dont know any linux command. I dont understant what you say. How can I do that your solution? Can you write example? Thanks.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

The file manager is what gives a display to list files and folders. Think of Windows 'File Explorer'. For Puppy-Linux there is a icon named 'file' that will open it up. It's actual name is ROX-Filer

IRC: firepup | Time to hack Puppy!

cobaka

Re: Error msg: Booting find /menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst /grub/menu.lst

Post by cobaka »

@Hipotalamus

I was a newbie to Linux (including Puppy) 5 or 6 years ago. Still am - but it is my only OS now.
Back then, I ran a (very old) Windows XP on a 15 y.o. desktop.

Installing Puppy Linux was easy for me - back then because the CD/DVD burner on my desktop (Nero) would burn an *.iso image with little effort on my part. So - back then I downloaded a Puppy *.iso, burnt it and then changed the BIOS to boot from CD. Bingo - it worked.

I stuck with Windows for a time, then slowly swung across to uPupBB.

Stepping 'over' to Linux for the first time is the biggest obstacle to being a Puppy Linux fan.
The next obstacle I found came from finding a browser that worked with older Puppies.
A PC without a browser is rather like a fishing expedition without bait.

After that I had more difficulty writing the OS to a thumb-drive. I didn't understand the idea of partitioning or what GRUB did to the boot sector. I read a little (needed a browser for that!) and after understanding found success.

Winston Churchill had some good advice about Puppy Linux:

Churchill--Never_give_in.jpg
Churchill--Never_give_in.jpg (47.98 KiB) Viewed 3019 times

All the best!

cobaka

собака --> это Русский --> an old dog
"so-baka" (not "co", as in coast or crib).

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Hipotalamus wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:36 am

I try to install on harddisk.

Give us some specific details.

What version of Puppy?

Exactly how did you do the install to hard disk?
Did you use some installer program?
If yes.
What program?

Is any other operating system(OS) on the hard disk?
If yes.
What other OS?

I am going to guess you installed Puppy, but did not install a boot loader to boot it.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

OffInfo22

Post by OffInfo22 »

I have the same issue.

Installing version "FossaPup64 9.5" using an optic disk on an old Panasonic toughbook CF-73

Burned the iso file using ImgBurn and on the laptop hdd win XP is installed (which i don't care about it, i'll just overwrite it)

what can i do? keep in mind that i'm completely new to this.

Thanks in advance :)

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

New users should use the ISO boot methods to get comfortable in booting and running PUPs with NO "installation" issues. Merely copy the ISO file to USB file (Ventoy/SG2D) and boot the PUPs/DOGs directly.

I will try to provide another updated vehicle for any user, new-user/old-user, to 'jump start' users interested in simple booting any new PUP/DOG they choose directly to the PUP's desktop. ... maybe as soon as this week.

My idea continues and remains: "A vehicle for booting current PUPs/DOGs with NO troublesome thoughts/actions to get to a Linux desktop." This remains to reduce getting to desktop issues that new/old users continue to have.

Experienced Linux users have no problems, of course, but non-cli technical users run into these kinds of issues all the time. The methods I will continue to provide leans heavily toward being trouble-free with NO issues to get a PUP/DOG to desktop.

"Stay toon"ed for the latest USB, or use the current methods already on this forum.

xiaoboy

Post by xiaoboy »

same thing is happening to me. i can't even get to the installation because the computer goes straight to the grub menu and i have no idea what to do in there

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

To All, a functioning Puppy has all the tools --builtin or any easy install-- to do everything a Puppy is capable of doing; which is pretty much anything you can ask of an operating system for your computer. The problem is getting your first functioning Puppy.

I have to disagree with my colleague, Clarity. Ventoy and SG2D (SuperGrub2) are great applications for serially testing many operating systems, including several recent 64-bit Puppys; and running the ones you are satisfied with. But they involve the additional step of first having to install Ventoy or SG2D.

Rather than spend several hours, or even days, trying to figure out what is now going wrong, I would suggest:

The simplest way to obtain your first functioning Puppy (if your computer can boot from a USB-port and you have access to a Windows computer) is the recipe spelled out here, viewtopic.php?p=40522#p40522.

Until you have a Puppy you are satisfied with, 'Test-drive' all Puppys from a USB-Key. Puppys are free. USB-Keys are cheap.*

Your Puppy booted from a USB-Key can be used to locate any Puppy --including copying it-- to your hard-drive. If your USB-Key is large enough (8 Gb) other Puppys can be added to it so you can find out which works best with your computer. If a Puppy isn't right for your computer, you have neither wasted time locating it to the computer's hard-drive nor jeopardized the functionality of whatever operating systems it now has by replacing the functioning boot-loader. Any and all problems (there may be none) can be resolved before you have make any changes to your hard-drive.

If you do not have access to Windows operating system, tell us. But also tell us what operating systems you have access to.
If your computer can't boot from a USB-port, tell us. But also provide us with the make, model of that computer. And, list all the operating systems you have access to.

To get from there to here, we have to know where there is.

-=-=-=---==
* Bestbuy is selling a top-rated 32 GB SanDisk Cruzer for $7.49. You'll find a 8GB Cruzer on ebay for less than $5, free shipping. Comparable prices elsewhere. How much is your time worth?

Last edited by mikeslr on Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Thanks @mikeslr for your comments to guide users. You share:

... they involve the additional step of first having to install Ventoy or SG2D ...

Although you strongly disagree with use of the simple methods, you mislead these users.

I provide and have provided simple instructions to create the necessary USB...ONCE. Yes users that USB that Mike refers is ONLY DONE ONCE IN ALL FUTURE BOOTING of the Forum's PUPs/DOGs. Forever more, you NEVER have a problem or issues creating or moving files for any of them in the future. Again, you make the USB once in its life and you merely download and boot your PUPs. That's it.

I have provide a ready made USB instruction for SG2D. I will provide, very soon, a similar Ventoy USB. Users who have either of these USBs merely download and boot their PUPs of choice.

Hope this make it clear what the references I provide. It does NOT CHANGE ANY OF HOW PUPs/DOGs OPERATE. I am merely offering solutions to mitigate constant issues that result from Puppy Linux Forum users.

Last edited by Clarity on Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

mikeslr: "Ventoy and SG2D (SuperGrub2) are great applications for serially testing many operating systems, including several recent 64-bit Puppys; and running the ones you are satisfied with."viewtopic.php?p=61293#p61293.

Clarity: "I do not recommend using older PUPs before Dec 2019 for SG2D." viewtopic.php?p=40283#p40283

Clarity: "...Although, slightly more advanced, for PUP-DOGs I interrupt each at the distro's boot-menu, and add a "save location director" to the linux line. For example for all my PUPs & FATDOG, I add this for EVERY PC I boot to using either of the 2 ISO file booters; Ventoy/SG2D:
Code: Select all
vmlinux .... psave=sdaX:/Sessions/

Code: Select all
vmlinuz ... savefile=direct:device:sda3:/Sessions/fd64save-812..." viewtopic.php?p=40428#p40428

@ Clarity, as I've said before. Ventoy/SG2D are great tools. But I don't want to spend my time explaining their 'ins-and-out' to newbies; nor answering the questions newbies will have when things don't work immediately OOTB, nor later down the road when something those familiar with how Puppys work may have to be adjusted.

There are about 30 Puppys, DebianDogs, Puppy-like operating systems, and currently 19 +/- 'Major Distro' operating systems which can be frugally deployed via weedogit scripts: all actively supported.

Puppys are addictive. Once you have one and realize how much more capable it is than any other OSes, there are a dozen others likely to offer something special: Perhaps better sound or graphics. Perhaps more applications which run OOTB. We don't know why a newbie chose a particular version as his/her first version. Was it the advice from someone familiar with Puppys current capabilities; or a 5 year old post by someone surveying 'small operating systems' who threw it in because someone else mentioned it.

At their core, all operating systems are similar. Like riding a bike: Learning hand-brakes if you're familiar with foot-brakes is an adjustment. The hard part was learning balance. You don't learn balance on a steep, unpaved roads with frequent curves.

Under the hood Puppys function sufficiently different than other operating systems, see viewtopic.php?t=5818 that newbies --especially those familiar with other Linux OSes-- have to adjust their way of thinking. That's not hard once they have a functioning Puppy. Put any hurdle in their way and Puppy will be something they remember having tried and decided as best left for the technically sophisticated.

WHO IS YOUR AUDIENCE?

Getting the first Puppy booted to desktop and capable of preserving configurations and user added applications should be as simple as possible. There's time enough for someone who has adjusted to Puppys' way of doing things to setup Ventoy &/or SG2D and begin exploring a bunch of the operating systems supported by this Forum.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Thanks @Mikeslr. I agree with all the quotes you share from the instructions as you post in your prior post.

BUT, I stand by evidence. The evidence: Since presenting instructions and images for the Ventoy/SG2D USBs, we have little requests from users on using the instructions or the USBs.

I review in an effort to see how many responses from users as well as how many times you have help users follow the instructions. The evidence suggest...very little in comparison with ALL the other issues people have getting started with trying to move data from the ISOs, or creating a Frugal on a USB, or CD/DVD issues, or ...

I am NOT taking issue with you: BUT, I will answer any questions that users raise on running either of those 2 USBs. When user make those USB, beyond that, there are extremely few question. And the instructions continue to be clear as we have only 2 corrections to the instructions since 2019 in response to users requests.

You might not find it necessary in your case, as you, like me are accustomed to the OLD methods for Frugal. But, as these 2 new methods show, the NEW methods meet/exceed the past methods with little to no issues for either new/experienced PUP/DOG users.

Not to be misunderstood, I stand by the instructions you quote, as those come into play after either of the USBs are in the hands of the users....NOT BEFORE. AND the USBs do NOT demand any additional efforts to boot and operate a PUP when its on its desktop(s).

Thanks again for this engagement to bring awareness to the community. It does not beg anyone to like or love either. It DOES offer a simple approach for PUP boots.

This post is NOT about whether one loves or hates an approach.

And, if anyone choose, please post ANY FINDINGS YOU HAVE TO THE VENTOY OR THE SG2D THREADS, PLEASE.

Return to “Beginners Help”