Is there a beginners version of FossaPup64?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Bewildered One

Is there a beginners version of FossaPup64?

Post by Bewildered One »

I seem to have seen somewhere on the forum, but can't find it again, mention made of a version of FossaPup64 with extra help files for beginners over and above what's available on the regular version. Am I dreaming and, if not, where can I find this version?

wizard

Re: Beginners version of FossaPup64

Post by wizard »

see here [url]viewtopic.php?t=4681[url]

download rc3

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

Bewildered One

Post by Bewildered One »

Very many thanks for that wizard, especially your promptness.

I'm a long time user of Windows courtesy of the computer manufacturers and, like the majority of users perhaps, have little to no interest in what goes on under the hood. As an OS it's over complicated and offers too many ways to do the same thing. Worse, it grows and grows. It is a lumbering behemoth dwarfing my modest computer needs and those of many others, I suspect.

The crunch came when my HP Stream (x64 / 32GB / 2GB RAM) just filled up and refused to work any more, while the warning screens still told me I needed further updates. Is there a tacit agreement between Microsoft and the computer manufacturers that each new Windows release will require updated hardware? Time to look elsewhere, which took me to Linux and then to Puppy.

My first impression on visiting the Puppy Linux site was one of bewilderment, since both it and the associated forum seemed to be populated by extremely knowledgeable people (for whom thank goodness) but who communicated in Martian. I have this feeling that there are many who would willingly dump Windows for the delights of a simpler, more personally configured OS, but whose first acquaintance with the site or forum are likely to be rather intimidating, unless persistent like me.

More power to your elbow wizard and I notice that FriendlyPuppy64 is still being developed. Would you think it impertinent of me to suggest that when you have what may be a relatively final version (no such thing, I know) you and the designers of the Puppy Linux website have a radical rethink about its presentation? Your stated criteria demonstrate that you have a good nose for what beginners need, yet the site looks to be one written by computer enthusiasts for computer enthusiasts.

Nothing wrong with that, but it will tend to frighten the tyros away unless, that is, there is a big, clear statement up-front announcing that there's nothing to be frightened of and a comprehensive, screen shot illustrated guide on how to download and configure FP64. This may seem over enthusiastic about an OS I've not even had my hands on, but I cannot overstate my joy on stumbling on what I believe to be the answer to my needs after hours, days of looking. Thank you!

wizard

Post by wizard »

Welcome to Puppy Linux. You are right, there is a huge amount of information in the forum and finding what you need is not easy. In just the last two weeks we have been consolidating some of this into the top forum section named "Getting Started and System Requirements" so you should start reading there. Remember that section is still under constuction. For instance the topic "Booting from a CD with a Legacy Boot Configuration" is misnamed. It actually should be named "Your First Boot" since it covers booting from either a CD or USB and also covers both MBR (legacy) and UEFI drive configurations. Don't worry if that looks like Greek right now, we can help you figure it out.

The good news for you is Friendly Fossa64's included help files are more complete than the "Getting Started and System Requirements" section is now. We just need to get you to your first boot with a bootable USB drive.

As we go forward you should read this post so you get good answers when you have questions.
viewtopic.php?t=218

This is a good suggestion.

big, clear statement up-front announcing that there's nothing to be frightened of and a comprehensive, screen shot illustrated guide on how to download and configure FP64

Changing to a new operating system is a BIG learning experience, but the reward is escaping from MS Windows and becoming the master of your own computer.

It takes just takes patience and willingness to learn.

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

keniv

Post by keniv »

@Bewildered One

My first impression on visiting the Puppy Linux site was one of bewilderment, since both it and the associated forum seemed to be populated by extremely knowledgeable people (for whom thank goodness) but who communicated in Martian.

We are not all extremely knowledgeable people. I for one am not. I would not say I was a beginner as I've used puppy linux for a while so I'm more of a "user" with no expertise. I am able to use puppy linux thanks to the help of those on the forum who do know what they are talking about. I am sure you will be able to get puppy linux running, perhaps with help, just as I did when I first started. I still need help today. Nearly all of my posts involve asking for help from others. I would urge you to give puppy a try. I agree that there seems like a mountain of stuff to read far less understand. You might also find that something you try to do does not work and you don't understand why. This can be frustrating. I know, I've been there. However, if you ask you will get help. I see that @wizard has referred to the new and developing topic "Getting Started and System Requirements" which is aimed at somebody in your position. This should help but even if you were to find some of this daunting you can still ask for help. I hope you give puppy a try and I'm sure you'll get it up and running. Once you've got it running you'll soon get used to it.

Regards,

Ken.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Bewildered One :-

:welcome: to the "kennels".

TBH, the people who get on best with Puppy are those with very little 'other Linux' experience. Reason being that Puppy does many things in a somewhat different way to the 'big boys', or 'mainstream' distros. Long-time Linux geeks get annoyed when they decide to take a look at Puppy, and almost immediately start complaining, loudly, because Puppy doesn't do things in exactly the same way that they're used to.....and WHY NOT??

(What really annoys these 'power-users' is that they have to re-learn things in a different way.....and that gets their backs up. Believe it or not, 'power-users' actually get more "stuck in a rut" than your average Joe in the street.)

For genuine "newbies", we will always try to help to the best of our abilities. All we ask is that you supply us with as much relevant information as you can, since this is what we have to work with. And please; keep to one question per thread, 'cos it gets incredibly confusing, otherwise.....

We're not there with you, looking over your shoulder. And we're not very good with the old crystal ball, neither! :D

If you don't mind trying to meet us half-way, we don't usually leave many Puppy users unhappy.

Enjoy your stay..!

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

bigpup

Re: Is there a beginners version of FossaPup64?

Post by bigpup »

The only way you are going to understand any of this is to just do it!

Using Puppy Linux is not hard to do.
You just have to use it and learn how to do things in it.
Just be open to learning a new way to do something.
Most of the Puppy specific programs, in Puppy, tell you needed information, as you do something in the program.
A lot of them have a help to click on and pop up info, when the mouse pointer is hovered over an item in the program.
Example:
JWMdesk (program for settings in general)

Screenshot(9).jpg
Screenshot(9).jpg (56.08 KiB) Viewed 425 times

The one thing to understand, is all Puppy versions are not the same.
What is in a Puppy version is up to the people that built it.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

darry19662018

Post by darry19662018 »

For many years Sneeky Linux has been tinkering with Puppy Linux - a list here......
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fossapup

Also the honourable Mr Mike Walsh has some great Puppy content as well on his channel....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2dLFM ... YqqqAgrgUA

Bewildered One

Post by Bewildered One »

Very many thanks to all you generous souls who responded to my heartfelt cry. It is extremely reassuring to know that, in addition to knowledgeable people out there, many of you are so willing to contribute much needed help for beginners, and I've already taken aboard your comments about what you need to know in order to offer useful help. I'm going to delay involvement until Friendly Puppy becomes slightly more mature and until there's a really comprehensive, unambiguous screen shot guide to creating a bootable USB, which doesn't quite seem to exist right now. Looking forward to jumping in.

Return to “Beginners Help”