Are there any distros with chrome based browser preinstalled?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

MochiMoppel

Are there any distros with chrome based browser preinstalled?

Post by MochiMoppel »

I'm getting more and more frustrated by trying and failing to install chrome based browsers.
What I'm looking for is a distro that comes with such a browser preinstalled. Does such distro exist?
p310don

Re: Are there any distros with chrome based browser preinstalled?

Post by p310don »

I could be corrected, but I seem to recall that Chrome cannot be pre-installed due to licensing issues.

Most recent 64bit pups & dogs can easily install Chrome.

Quickpet in Bionic has it (for example)

Fatdog has it in control panel -> updates -> get google chrome

I've used Chrome on both without drama.
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@MochiMoppel

WeeDog64-Arch has Chrome installed during initial build, so in effect pre-installed.
dancytron

Post by dancytron »

Fred's Buster Dog and Chrome Dog build script will build with a Chrome browser.
wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:04 am @MochiMoppel

WeeDog64-Arch has Chrome installed during initial build, so in effect pre-installed.
By default it is Chromium (which is Chrome based of course) - I like it since it works nicely with chromecast device, which is plugged into my otherwise very dumb television.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Maybe my question was not clear enough. What I have in mind is an iso that I can download, unpack and run. An installed and functioning chrome browser would be in the menu.
It appears now that there is no such thing. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
dancytron

Post by dancytron »

I built a Debian Jessie Chrome Dog.

The last time I used it and updated Chrome it worked as root, but not as the non-root ID but I'm sure that could be fixed.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/hs9 ... 3.iso?dl=0

Murga site post in Debian Dog Jessie thread.

https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtop ... 15#p919815

I'm not sure if anyone ever used it besides me and Fred.

edit: It still works with the latest version. I'm in it now.

Code: Select all

Version 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Last edited by dancytron on Fri May 21, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peebee

Post by peebee »

wiak wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:55 am it is Chromium (which is Chrome based of course)
Actually other way round - Chrome is based on Chromium.....

@MochiMoppel
If you are prepared to download 2 files - an iso and an sfs - you can replace the adrv in a frugal install of ScPup64 or LxPupSc64 with chrome or chromium
or for 32-bits
replace the adrv in a frugal install of ScPup32 or LxPupSc32 or UPup32 with chromium (or iron or slimjet or vivaldi...)
see:
viewtopic.php?p=295#p295
Last edited by peebee on Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

MochiMoppel wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:27 am It appears now that there is no such thing. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I made an ISO of WeeDog64-Void with Chromium installed. But it was not up to standards yet as I was just figuring out how to do it in the first place so the ISO could be burned to CD/DVD or directly extracted and copied to a USB stick and be able to boot without any hassles.

I was really close but it was time consuming and is not a pressing matter, so it is on hold until it gets cold in Connecticut.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@MochiMoppel :-

Right. I know you use (or used to use) a version of Slacko 560. I know you have 2 GB RAM available. I'm assuming this is an older laptop/netbook type of hardware we're talking about here....Core2Duo? Atom? Pentium? Celeron?

The snag with any "built-in" browser is that it's rapidly out-of-date. In the Mozilla camp, Firefox (and later versions of Palemoon) will update themselves "in-situ"; this is one of the reasons they're so popular.

Google (from whom ALL Chromium-based browsers spring, via their R & D department The Chromium Project) have always built their browsers to need uninstalling/re-installing completely every time.....at least on this side of the fence. The Windows variant will update itself in-situ, but it's never worked that way under Linux; I think they take the view that in the Windows world, you've got to make things as simple as possible for Joe Bloggs. Linux 'geeks', on the other hand, are more prepared to put in the extra effort.....you get the picture of how the mindset works!

------------------------------------------

Now then; I only suggested the chrooted Iron to you the other day because I assumed you wanted to run it with 560.....but that IS a somewhat RAM-intensive way of doing it with limited resources.

Do you have any preferences, one way or the other, as to either 32-bit or 64-bit?

My suggestion would be this:- radky's DPup 'Stretch' 7.5, and running my 32-bit Iron-portable package. This combination works well on my 18-yr old Dell lappie; slow & steady, it's true (it only has a non-HT Pentium 4!), but it does run. Stretch is pretty easy on resources; Mikeslr will confirm this, too, as will several others.

I'm certain we can get you "sorted" with a Chromium-based browser, even though there is no such thing as a lightweight variant of these; the "clones" just ARE heavy, and apart from the very early days (10 yrs or more ago) always have been. And it's steadily getting worse as time goes by.

---------------------------------------

DPup 'Stretch' 7.5 (RC5) can be found here (I recommend the legacy kernel, k4.1.48):-

http://oldforum.puppylinux.com/puppy/vi ... p?t=112125

Iron-portables can be found here:-

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=771

My recommendation is to put the portable browser directory either in /mnt/home, or somewhere else entirely; a flash drive is as good a place as any. They'll run happily like this.

Wherever you put it, run the browser for the first time, so the PROFILE directory gets created. Shut down. Enter the 'iron32' directory, and copy the PROFILE directory to somewhere completely outside the portable. Now delete the original PROFILE directory, and symlink the 'external' one back in its place. This just makes life easier for future updates....

Mike. :)
wiak

Post by wiak »

MochiMoppel wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:27 amMaybe my question was not clear enough. What I have in mind is an iso that I can download, unpack and run. An installed and functioning chrome browser would be in the menu.
It appears now that there is no such thing. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Well WeeDogLinux Arch64 comes with configured Chromium, not Chrome, and I preferred providing it as a build script since that fetches latest binaries from Arch. I could make an iso of such a build, but I've never seen the point since upstream Arch is very much a rolling release, so not much time passes before many of the binaries have upgrades so need to be re-downloaded anyway... I like rolling release because most apps provided by Arch are quite up-to-date, but generally quite well tested by Arch to ensure their stability. The Chromium provided by Arch has proven to be particularly solid and reliable in the months I've been using it (and upgraded every so often). But no iso, sorry.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Return to “Users”