KLV-Airedale-alpha Released for Experimentation and Improvement by the Puppy community

Moderator: Forum moderators

peebee

Re: KLV-Airedale-alpha Released for Experimentation and Improvement by the Puppy community

Post by peebee »

rockedge wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:52 am

wonder if @peebee would be interested in a pet2xbps and xbps2pet ? I imagine these would be possible.

Pets can already be installed as usual on VoidPup32 but are not "known" by VPM ..... so the advantage of pet2xbps could be that they could be "known" but the structure of an .xbps (the complex xml files needed) is not trivial....
As for xbps2pet - all that is needed is to rename to .xbps.tar.zst then use pextract then use dir2pet which isn't too difficult for the few times you might want to do it ,,,, but it could be "packaged" into xbps2pet.
+ the INSTALL & REMOVE might need to be translated.

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

fredx181

Re: KLV-Airedale-alpha Released for Experimentation and Improvement by the Puppy community

Post by fredx181 »

mikewalsh wrote:

Fred, I'm having issues with your newest version of dir2xbps. It's insisting I don't have YAD installed (I do!), or I'm not using GTK3-version..?

Well, I forgot to mention earlier that I added a check for the yad version, so that it cannot be used with gtk2 yad.
(display is different with yad gtk2 version, so could lead to confusion)
The yad version included is gtk3 and I think gtk3 will be the default in KLV.
But perhaps that's wrong assumption ? If this leads to problems I will try to change the script so that both gtk2 and gtk3 works.

Have we recently changed the version of YAD in use? The interface opened fine on the previous version.....or did you build this in one of the Dogs, or somewhere else?

(EDIT:- Nah, scratch that. Uninstalling/reinstalling YAD seems to have fixed the issue, despite that it's exactly the same package! Weird.)

I build this for KLV Airedale. Are you sure it was exactly the same package ? Looks like you did install gtk2 yad and then got the error message.

EDIT: Here's dir2xbps without the yad version check, so should work too now with a yad gtk2 version.
(apparently I was mistaken that the GUI looks wrong with yad gtk2, tested again and seems that it's ok)

dir2xbps.gz
Remove fake .gz and make executable
(4.08 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
wiak

Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:27 am
mikewalsh wrote:

Fred, I'm having issues with your newest version of dir2xbps. It's insisting I don't have YAD installed (I do!), or I'm not using GTK3-version..?

I build this for KLV Airedale. Are you sure it was exactly the same package ? Looks like you did install gtk2 yad and then got the error message.
EDIT: Here's dir2xbps without the yad version check, so should work too now with a yad gtk2 version.
(apparently I was mistaken that the GUI looks wrong with yad gtk2, tested again and seems that it's ok)
dir2xbps.gz

Is it possible Mike has accidentally included yad gtk2 version via an sfs in an upper layer overwriting installed gtk3 version? - that kind of thing would always be the kind of danger to look out for with addon sfs file layers.

Personally, I think it would be good if released KLV-airedale strives to be GTK+3. Users can of course also later install GTK+2 if they really want it for something, but overall I think yad GTK+3 and gtkdialog GTK+3 are the ones to go for now.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

The Void distro release of Feb,2021 is GTK3. How did GTK2 get onto this December version of PUP-Voids?

Hope we dont get into a retrofitting mess.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

mikewalsh wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:51 am

Quick question, gang.

Anybody have any idea why KLV is NOT seeing the 56 some-odd GB of 'swap' I have scattered around the system..?

I want to try out the Suspend' function. I have one contiguous chunk of 48 GB of swap in one location, because the way this HP suspends is to mirror the entire amount of RAM to disk in a single lump, regardless of how much is in use.....and I have 32GB of the stuff. That functionality is hard-wired into the UEFI, and can't be altered, because there's no settings to change it.

According to gKrellM's 'swap' meter, there's nothing there. Has KLV taken a look at the amount of RAM I have, and decided I don't NEED 'swap'? :? :? :? :?: :?: Or is swap not mounted in Void by default?

A confused Mike. :shock: :o

Ok; problem sorted. I did this the "traditional" way, by editing /etc/fstab. Found the solution here:-

https://askubuntu.com/questions/999406/ ... -partition

So; I added the line:-

Code: Select all

UUID=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx none swap sw 0 0

.....where "xxxxx-xxxxx, etc" is the UUID of the swap partition, and repeated this twice more so all three swap partitions are in use; sda4 (8 GB), sdb3 (48 GB), and sdc2 (4 GB).

Bingo. All 60 GB now active at every boot. Interestingly, because the swap partitions are now active, I have two additional options in the logout GUI; "Hibernate", and "Hybrid sleep" (whatever that is!) Previously, only "Suspend" showed....

Mike. :thumbup:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Clarity wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:32 pm

The Void distro release of Feb,2021 is GTK3. How did GTK2 get onto this December version of PUP-Voids?

Hope we dont get into a retrofitting mess.

I doubt it, Clarity. More than likely, re-installing the repo version of YAD (which should BE GTK3-compatible anyway) probably "corrected" some slight imperfection in my own install. (As usual, I'm experimenting with so much stuff here I'd be amazed if I didn't create a few issues for myself.....unintentionally, of course!)

Mike. ;)

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Clarity wrote:

How did GTK2 get onto this December version of PUP-Voids?

I put it there. :thumbup2:

Gtk3 is the main version installed. It is called gtk+3, this is the standard.

Gtk2 is also present to provide backward compatibility. @Clarity I did include both because we can, and will remain so until GTK2 is not needed in anyway.

It would take some doing to get Void Linux to be "old". If we wanted real cutting edge this distro would be based on Arch Linux or (gulp) Gentoo. Void Linux strides to be very close to the newest edge but most important is that it is stable.

You know I use MS-DOS programs still on a weekly basis, so not totally convinced that cutting edge is always the best to strive for. I do believe in stability and reliability while staying close to the most progressive OS possible. Void seems to do this. Stability and efficiency is why Void Linux is becoming the keystone OS that the very "Big Boys" at enterprise levels are using for the foundations for very powerful, massive servers and up to real time electronic microscopes and can be also a great desktop system. WDL-Void after extensive testing is proving to be one of the best OS's for ZoneMinder systems.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Grey wrote:

If the question is about dogs, then yes. His most beloved dog has already died. It was a Labrador named Connie. But he has at least 5 more dogs......

Nice! I thought so. Sorry Herr Putin's favorite has died, always a tough one to lose a family member.

That rare breed from Yugoslavia is really special. I never saw a live one, I don't think.

dimkr wrote:

It's a rolling release distro for advanced users

Not totally true. From Void Linux's web site :

Stable rolling release

Void focuses on stability, rather than on being bleeding-edge. Install once, update routinely and safely.

Thanks to our continuous build system, new software is built into binary packages as soon as the changes are pushed to the void-packages repository.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Some info to consider.

Using dir2xbps to make a xbps package of pup-sysinfo

pup-sysinfo.xbps (there is more to the name, but just to show what I did, I call it this)

After it made the xbps package.

Moved the pup-sysinfo.xbps to /var/cache/xbps/

Run xbps-rindex -af /var/cache/xbps/pup-sysinfo.xbps (to get it indexed)

I was able to use OctoXBPS program selecting file->install local package...... to do the install of pup-sysinfo.

In OctoXBPS program file->clean xbps cache
I get this error:

Cleaning package cache...
QStandardPaths: runtime directory '/run/user/0' is not owned by UID 1001, but a directory permissions 0700 owned by UID 0 GID 0
Qt: Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed

But it did remove the pup-sysinfo.xbps package I had previously put in the /var/cache/xbps/
Other xbps packages, I previously used OctoXBPS to install, are still in /var/cache/xbps/

How about a dir2xbps program that also gives option to install the xbps package you just made. :thumbup: :idea:

It gives the needed info you have to enter in a terminal to install the package.
Could it have an option to run these terminal commands for you. :?: :idea:
Simply an install option, to choose, by clicking install button or something? :idea:

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

bigpup wrote:

How about a dir2xbps program that also gives option to install the xbps package you just made.

dir2xbps is for creating a package, inst-xbps can be used for installing a package.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

.... speech....
Ok, you may have had your little vacation, "but it's all over now... tweedlie...", so now.. back to business !! (eight days a week.... I loooove you .. dngldng)

Happy new year all !!!

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Pfind, right click option: show location, fix.

rockedge wrote:

I think we just need to add the script (wrapper) defaultfilemanager to /usr/local/bin that launches the file manager of choice.

Yes, this was what was needed.

I put a script defaultfilemanager in /usr/local/bin

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec thunar "$@"

Now in Pfind.
Right click on a listed item.
Choose show location.
Thunar file manager opens, showing the location.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, gang.

Been meaning to re-package this one for a few days now, and finally got around to it. It's JakeSFR's marvellous wee screen magnification utility, MagDock.

Done a brief demo vid for those of you who may not have used this before. (Sorry for the volume of the new 'intro'; I really must get around to trying to soften that a bit...! :oops: )

All pretty straight-forward; not too many surprises, yet quite a few neat features. Jake's done a nice job on this, and I hope some of you will find this useful. I've attached the .xbps package to the bottom of this post.

Mike. ;)

Attachments
MagDock-1.2_0.x86_64.xbps
JakeSFR's screen magnification utility....
(21.96 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@bigpup :-

Now all you need to do is to re-package it with the addition of the 'defaultfilemanager' script.... :D

Mike. :thumbup:

Last edited by bigpup on Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mistakenly edited instead of quoted see below
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I think rockedge is going to have Pfind in the next alpha release of KLV-Airedale :idea:

I am wondering if Rox is still going to be in it.
If yes.
What is going to have to be done to make Rox the defaultfilemanager if you switch to it?

This defaultfilemanager script is not normally produced in /usr/local/bin

Default Application chooser program will switch to Rox as file manager.
The file manager icon in the dock will start Rox.
But this does not produce the needed defaultfilemanager script file Pfind is looking for.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@bigpup Yes pFind will be in the next alpha release.

We will need to find a bridge to connect the defaultfilemanager to the xfce4 default application selector.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

mikewalsh wrote:

Been meaning to re-package this one for a few days now, and finally got around to it. It's JakeSFR's marvellous wee screen magnification utility, MagDock.

Done a brief demo vid for those of you who may not have used this before. (Sorry for the volume of the new 'intro'; I really must get around to trying to soften that a bit...! :oops: )

Hi Mike, great video !!
Yes, the intro should be less loud, but also your voice should be recorded with increased volume (then gets really in balance)
For the rest, great respect for how you did present it !! :thumbup2:

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Ok, made some improvements (IMO ;) ) (hopefully last) for inst-xbps and dir2xbps.

inst-xbps, changes:
- Not depending on running from terminal and when just run inst-xbps, a file selection dialog will appear for to select a .xbps.
- Also you can run from terminal e.g.: inst-xbps /path/to/package.xbps (same as before)
- Will display a 'xterm' window at install stage (so required is xterm installed) to show output and for user inter-action.
Can be configured as right-click action from filemanager e.g. Thunar or Rox, or set it to 'open with' as default for .xbps extension.

inst-xbps.gz
(2.06 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

dir2xbps, small change:
- Information given at final output is now something like:
Install by using: "inst-xbps e.g. inst-xbps /path/to/package.xbps" (instead of the 3 command lines showing in previous version)
@rockedge , if you prefer previous version it's fine by me also.

dir2xbps.gz
(3.61 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

Also new script extr-xbps, to extract a xbps package (I tried, but could not make it work to extract .xbps with Uextract):
Same mechanism as inst-xbps: e.g. running just extr-xbps, a file selection dialog will appear for to select a .xbps, display xterm window to show output, can be configured as right-click action from Thunar or Rox.

extr-xbps.gz
(1.49 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

EDIT; This is as far as I would like to go with these script, personally.
Still... any suggestions to improve or bug reports are welcome.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Thanks for all of that fredx181!!

Now we are using Puppy coding, for how to make a usable program, to do something! :thumbup:

Trying them out now.

Yes, I needed to install xterm.
Installed it by using OctoXBPS installer program.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

bigpup wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:19 pm

Thanks for all of that fredx181!!

Now we are using Puppy coding, for how to make a usable program, to do something! :thumbup:

Yes, I needed to install xterm.
Installed it by using OctoXBPS installer program.

You're welcome !
Just curious, what do you mean that is for you "Puppy coding" exactly ? (long story ? ok.. fine too)

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Puppy has always used many programs, coded by the people that support and use Puppy.
Specific programs, to do specific things, and that is all they do.

Yours are a few examples.

That is what I was saying by: "Now we are using Puppy coding, for how to make a usable program, to do something!"

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I tried the new versions of dir2xbps and inst-xbps

I used a directory of what is in the pet package for Pfind and Pfilesearch.

dir2xbps made both directires into xbps packages.

When I used inst-xbps

I get this error:

Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (18.83 KiB) Viewed 1216 times

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

bigpup wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:13 pm

I tried the new versions of dir2xbps and inst-xbps

I used a directory of what is in the pet package for Pfind and Pfilesearch.

dir2xbps made both directires into xbps packages.

When I used inst-xbps

I get this error:
Screenshot.jpg

Looks like you filled in the wrong arch. (in dir2xbps) , should be x86_64, not i686 (which is for 32-bit, so not for KLV)

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

That was it. :!:
Thanks!

Well, I showed you what could happen. :D

Changed the xbps packages to x86_64 and they now install.

If I really understood what I was doing, I would be dangerous :!: :roll:

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Testing out btop ->

Screenshot_2022-01-02_19-12-16.png
Screenshot_2022-01-02_19-12-16.png (59.72 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

fredx181 wrote:

EDIT; This is as far as I would like to go with these script, personally.
Still... any suggestions to improve or bug reports are welcome.

Well all of them when running in a xterm window.
The window could be a little wider.
Mainly the name area.

Example of dir2xbps
when first started:

Screenshot(1).jpg
Screenshot(1).jpg (61.35 KiB) Viewed 1199 times

After adjusting window size wider:

Screenshot(2).jpg
Screenshot(2).jpg (69.69 KiB) Viewed 1199 times

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@fredx181 :-

fredx181 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:44 pm
mikewalsh wrote:

Hi Mike, great video !!
Yes, the intro should be less loud, but also your voice should be recorded with increased volume (then gets really in balance)
For the rest, great respect for how you did present it !! :thumbup2:

I'm no "YouTuber", Fred!

No, it's the intro that needs adjusting downwards; the microphone was on max level as it was.....just won't go any louder (and that's with adjusting everything upwards it's possible to adjust. That's your lot.)

The "intro" was put together online by one of these sites that do such stuff for you. I didn't have any control over that. Might yet have a look around for summat else....nowt's "set in stone", mate.

--------------------------------

EDIT:- Well, I've put together my own "intro card" tonight, using my Canva.com a/c. I've also found a brilliant online site that will let you make all sorts of adjustments - increase/decrease speed, increase/decrease volume......brightness, contrast, levels, rotate, cut, trim, all kinds of stuff; you name it, they'll adjust it for you. I needed this, because again, the volume of the audio track I selected WAS higher than I would have liked....dropped it by around 50%, and now it's just right.

https://online-video-cutter.com/

You'll see it in the next video I throw together. I like this one; it's nice & simple.....I think I'm going to stick with it from now on. It'll be Mike's YT "brand", henceforth! :D

Mike. :)

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

New update is out for Uextract program
https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 216#p46216

- .xbps - support not only XZ compression, but also GZIP, BZIP2, LZ4, ZSTD and plain TAR

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Uextract 4.7 .xbps, made from source .pet, thanks to @JakeSFR
Supports .xbps extraction now.

I've been experimenting with a post-install and pre-remove addition in the .xbps, seems to work well (after much trial and error ;) )
The "pinstall.sh" and "puninstall.sh" from the .pet I added in /usr/libexec/xbps-triggers and edited the INSTALL and REMOVE files to point to these.
It adds a "Uextract" custom action to Thunar and an action in Rox (if all went well, not much tested)
Thunar must be restarted first: thunar -q && thunar or restart X.
EDIT: re-attached uextract xbps, fixed that it possibly doesn't show as Rox right-click action

uextract-4.7_1.noarch.xbps
re-attached uextract v4.7 .xbps package
(97.32 KiB) Downloaded 25 times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: dir2xbps inst-xbps ...

bigpup wrote:

The window could be a little wider.

Yes, I will change the width of that selection dialog later.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Re-attached Uextract xbps with fix, see above.
edit: note that it needs "zstd" installed for .xbps extraction.

New package including the scripts dir2xbps, inst-xbps and extr-xbps. xbps-tools.
Should show up in Menu > Accessories after install.
Also Thunar custom action "Install xbps package" will show when right-click on a .xbps package and similar for Rox when right-clicking on a .xbps. (inspired by how I did with Uextract earlier, including post-install and pre-remove)
Changed also the width of yad selection dialog, as @bigpup suggested.
Edit: see here for new version: viewtopic.php?p=46347#p46347

Return to “Specialized”