Potential Memory leak on Xorg on Fossapup9.5

Post here if you feel others can duplicate your so discovered "bug"

Moderator: Forum moderators

nexussea

Potential Memory leak on Xorg on Fossapup9.5

Post by nexussea »

Hi,

So it seems like there may be a memory leak on Xorg from Fossapup9.5.
How do i know that? Well, I used Fossapup9.5 for about, 2 months or so, and while using it, did different testing (prolonged testing over multiple weeks).

One of those entail leaving a computer where it's loaded on (using a normal usb stick of 4GB) on the ram, and saving to a savefile on shutdown.
To fully reproduce it, I had to leave it on for multiple days, either with nothing running on the background beside normal booted up behavior (eg: basically what is loaded by default at startup, without manually running anything else) or by leaving a local app, such as Geany or the default terminal open running nothing on the desktop.

After 4 days minimum, up to a week and more, I noticed the ram usage of the Xorg process spike up to 3GB (usually is around a couple MB at startup).
I'm not an expert but to me this looks like a memory leaks...
Furthermore, it seems similar to other similar memory leak from Xorg, reported on other distro (eg: Ubuntu, etc).

I'm wondering, any way to fix this on Fossapup9.5? One might ask why would you leave it running for days without shutdown, but I mostly like to do this on laptop with battery backup/computers with batteries, where I basically use them as poor man "server" and use them whenever I want :)

I'm guessing maybe latest version of Xorg or a patch from other distros to fix similar issue on Xorg might alleviate it but unsure which is why I'm asking here.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
Here are possible reasons why this could happen:
- It may be application's fault for not cleaning up after themselves?
- may be causes by proprietary drivers? (cannot be in my case since I didn't have any proprietary driver loaded as far as I know where I tested this)

Possible fix?:
- stopping/restarting Xorg
- rebooting/shutting down completely
- a patch?
- ???

Return to “Bug Reports”