How to transfer files over LAN?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

boof

How to transfer files over LAN?

Post by boof »

just want to be able to pull and push files between them.
garnet

Re: How to transfer files on LAN?

Post by garnet »

On the sending computer, use Rox to navigate to the folder that have the files you want to transfer. Then right-click and choose "Window" and then "Terminal from here". Then in the opened terminal type

Code: Select all

python -m SimpleHTTPServer 80
On the receiving computer, open your web browser, then on the URL bar type IP address of the sending computer. You will see a list of files from the folder of the sending computer. If you don't see it press F5 to refresh the page. Click on the files to download.

When done, simply close the terminal that you opened before on the sending computer.

Works in bionicpup.

Hope that helps ^_^

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

ALL modern PUPs come with SAMBA, if you have things you want others on your LAN to see.
Menu>Network>Simple Sharing
Every other computer on your LAN, Linux, Windows, Macs, Chromebooks, Phones, etc can access what you share.

NO installation or use of any additional software on ANY of your LAN PCs is required to access what you share over your LAN. Nor is any software installations are required for you to access what any other PC on your LAN shares as that, too, is builtin to all PUPs. Just use them as security is part-parcel to their LAN use.
Last edited by Clarity on Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

One method which works for me is Gnetcat by rcrsn51
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=205
boof

Post by boof »

SAMBA looks good. how do i mix it with a desktop icon which points to directory on the remote computer where I can place files,pls. i knownothingof what I speak, so KISS & verbose pls. I think i need to rename both computers first.
Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

I have tried a couple of methods on my LAN including Samba, but ended up using PureFTPd on the server puppy, and gFTP on the client puppy. Works every time, quick to set up, and available on most puppies OOTB. gFTP has the advantage of allowing the client to navigate through the file structure of either device so files can be delivered from the source to the destination site in one operation. It works a lot like Filezilla, IMO.
boof

Post by boof »

rhx for ur opinions. pls, how about some info on setup and using something. i am using puppy without understanding what i do, o longrt having the mental powerd to learn the necessary details. linux and puppy change toooften for me to keep up technically. i cannoy cope with the steep learning curve. please show me how to do what i want, rather than bombard me with what to me, are meaningless npuns. i know nothing, cannot learn/remember much, and need to be spoon fed. i have still some detailed understanding of ms-dos3.3 commands, which helps, but of windows/linux, i know very little. i can usuallydo what i want eventually, but help is needed.
pcplague

Post by pcplague »

What version of puppy are you using? Do you want to transfer files between 2 puppy computers or windows and a puppy computer?

All the way from Portugal :thumbup: :thumbup2:

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@boof you can help by sharing couple of items.

If you are using a PUPPY distro, like LxPUPSc64 or FossaPUP64 or FATDOG, EVERYTHING you need to access files on other computers and make available files you have is all built-in. There is NOTHING you need to add to your system.

Let's start with your ability to share folders of information you have on your running PUP. The following will show you how to safely share a folder that you have on your running PUP. Lets, for example, say you want to share your PUPs Download folder with the PCs on your LAN. Do:
  1. go to and click Menu>Network>SAMBA Simple Management
  2. Add a name for your Download folder (this is just an ID you choose) and click the folder icon to find the folder to share its path
    SSM.png
    SSM.png (59.6 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
  3. Click Apply
You NOW have made YOUR PC share a folder that your LAN PCs can see. They can read, pull, play, or write into the folder.

You can see this sharing using the linux terminal; namely open a terminal and type one of the following 2 commands

Code: Select all

smbclient -U% -L localhost
smbclient -U% -L "aLAN_IP_address"
If you want instructions on how to access files from other PCs on your LAN that they, too, are sharing, let us know.

On a HOME LAN, SAMBA is secure and appropriate as ALL of your PCs, phones, TVs, and any of your LAN devices can access what you share. That's why its there! They all have this ability to both share and access what is shared....just as your Puppy Linux does without ANY need to install anything on them or your PC.

You do NOT need to install anything on any PC on your LAN assuming you are using an official PUPPY Linux; preferably one of the PUPs created this year.

Enjoy
P.S. This was recommended several days ago. Is there confusion?
vtpup

Post by vtpup »

boof wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:18 am SAMBA looks good. how do i mix it with a desktop icon which points to directory on the remote computer where I can place files,pls. i knownothingof what I speak, so KISS & verbose pls. I think i need to rename both computers first.
This is what the OP asked. He/she already accepted that Samba would work for him/her. What was asked for was a desktop launcher, and a list of steps to achieve that.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

sc0ttman

Re: How to transfer files over LAN?

Post by sc0ttman »

You could simply copy the mounted SAMBA folders to your desktop ... that is the easiest "launcher" you can create that will give you access the files over the network as quick as possible..

Return to “Users”