Fossapup64 9.5

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects

Moderator: Forum moderators

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Fossapup64 9.0.5 RC3

Post by rockedge »

666philb wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:12 pm if you have a working .pet for pure-ftpd i'll be happy to add it. it was dropped as older pets weren't working
Here is a PET version with .desktop file and start stop script, compiled and tested in Fossapup64
pure-ftpd-1.0.49-x86_64.pet
viewtopic.php?p=3555#p3555

Or here -> pure-ftpd-1.0.49-x86_64.pet

This is the package database entry:

Code: Select all

pure-ftpd-1.0.49-x86_64|pure-ftpd|1.0.49-x86_64||Network|660K||pure-ftpd-1.0.49-x86_64.pet||PureFTPd FTP server|ubuntu|focal||
666philb

Post by 666philb »

MochiMoppel wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:40 am @666philb Hi 666philb, thanks for quick reply.
suspend is working fine for me on 5 different computers. With the laptops simply closing the lid suspends
This works here too, but not without closing the lid. I use my netbook like a desktop, with external monitor and keyboard attached and placed on a shelve, lid always open. To suspend I use command echo -n mem > /sys/power/state and this normally works. Would your 5 different computers suspend with this command, without closing the lid?
but on desktops you would need to click on /etc/acpi/actions/suspend.sh.
But this script essentially uses the same command - if it reaches the command at all, because it exits when it finds a USB device mounted. My boot device uses USB and is mounted all the time, so the script does not help me.
sometimes a particular kernel won't like a particular computer and suspend fails but you can try switching kernels and finding one that does work.
I know that suspend can be tricky with certain HW. I've never changed kernels and I don't know if I want to go that far, particularly when the result is uncertain. I'm a OOTB guy ;)
hi @MochiMoppel ,
oddly it won't suspend if i have the lid open (well it does but wakes straight back up). however if i close the lid to activate suspend and then open the lid it stays suspended.

i tried bionicpups kernel and it's the same behaviour.

i suspect it's the lid switch/state and it might be worth a google to see if it can be disabled
MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

@666philb
The issue was already reported in thread How to enable Suspend in Fossapup64 on USB?. So far I only used 32bit distros and with my netbooks and laptops closing the lid would only switch off the backlight but would not trigger a suspend. In all these systems the mentioned suspend command works with lid open. It appears that with Fossapup (and Bionicpup) a closed lid is essential for a successful suspend. This may also explain why suspend does not work with desktops where there is no lid in the first place.
mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

MochiMoppel wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:33 am It appears that with Fossapup (and Bionicpup) a closed lid is essential for a successful suspend. This may also explain why suspend does not work with desktops where there is no lid in the first place.
Emphasis supplied.
On my desktop computer I have bionicpup64 on which radky's PupShutdown-3.0 was either builtin or installed. Left-clicking the "G" at the lower-left will suspend the computer. Scroll down for the screenshot. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 134#422134

I've had or installed it on most Puppies and, again, as far as I know "suspend" has worked*. Don't know if it suspends to RAM or hibernates by writing the current RAM to Storage. I haven't tried it under Fossapup64 yet.

* Just tried it to confirm it working under Bionicpup64. Perhaps it worked too well. Suspended and recovered, except for Wifi which --to get running-- required a reboot. Could be a fluke. Wife is at a Zoom meeting. Her computer is closer to router and 'soaks up most of the bandwidth'.
Last edited by mikeslr on Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I had reported earlier that about a fix for Chrome browser installation using @ETP's Installer PET.

Happy to report that @ETP's Chrome Installer PET works marvelously to upgrade the browser to lastest v85. It insures a correct installation as it guides steps to follow for uninstall and upgrade.

Further, the Chrome login processing bugs are still present in the FossaPUP installer version and the other Chrome SFSs found in the forum.

@ETP's v15.5 PET has no such problem(s). When the PET installs Chrome, it operates without issues.

Lastly, as it "may" have something to do with his settings, I am getting exceptional performance when running 15 open tabs.

FYI
MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

@mikeslr radky's PupShutdown-3.0 acts as frontend for the /etc/acpi/actions/suspend.sh script , which uses the
echo -n mem > /sys/power/state command.
None of the two work here :(
mistfire

Post by mistfire »

TAKE NOTE
hibernating on linux is dangerous. When entering hibernate state, it makes the filesystem dirty until it resume from hibernate state. Any alteration of filesystem while in hibernate state can cause data corruption to filesystem.
exon

Post by exon »

the only emulator that i wanted in the package is vice and that seems not working ;-(
Grey

Post by Grey »

exon wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:53 pm the only emulator that i wanted in the package is vice and that seems not working ;-(
Let's try this VICE variant in a .pet. I specifically booted with the command pfix=ram for fresh system and this .pet works and SID music sound excellent. Run through Menu>>Fun>>VICE
https://yadi.sk/d/_v2SUS30PNG72Q

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Grey,

I hope you are making a topic about your Vice pet in Additional Software section :idea: :thumbup2:

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Grey

Post by Grey »

bigpup wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:23 pm Grey,

I hope you are making a topic about your Vice pet in Additional Software section :idea: :thumbup2:
Well, it was compiled in Fossapup64 with GTK3 and OpenGL support and I don't know if it will work on other distros :) And besides, I cut out all sorts of non-standard and almost useless Commodore models from it, otherwise it would be one hundred megabytes larger.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

You just described the general idea of a pet package of a program.
Take out all the stuff not really needed to run in Puppy Linux.

It should work in the newer versions of Puppy and Puppy like OS's posted on this forum.

You will never be able to build a pet package that will work in every Puppy version.
Simple programs and scripts may, but not big complicated programs.
You will never know what it will work in until people try it in other Puppy versions.

Stating what dependencies are required.
Welcome to making software packages for Linux.

Forum Global Moderator

Grey

Post by Grey »

Who has any thoughts about the executable file packer, for example UPX ( https://github.com/upx/upx )? Sometimes the executable file is reduced by almost four times and this is a good level for Fossapup. Are we still chasing small size or is it not cool and modern anymore?

icake

Re: Chinese language input for Fossapup64 9.0.4 RC2

Post by icake »

666philb wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:04 am
lyouz wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:27 am Dear 666philb,
Thanks for your effort for Fossapup.
Could you suggest to me an input method framework for Chinese in Fossapup64?
I have tried to use PPM2.1.2 to install scim, ibus, fcitx, and fcitx5, however, all of them do not work with Fossapup64.
Among them, ibus almost work but cannot show window for select word, I can only input English.
test1.PNG

Any help will be appreciated.

Youzhao Lan (lyouz)
China
hi @lyouz
i know nothing about setting up other languages in puppy, however @icake does and could probably help get this working in fossapup64. See his thread here https://puppylinux.rockedge.org/viewtop ... =138&t=297
I tried to setup Chinese language input for Fossapup64 9.0.5 and here are my findings:
1. one of the 18.0.5 icake Chinese language pets: fcitx64_4.2.9-zh-en-bionic-18.0.5.pet can run normally to enable Chinese input under Fossapup64 9.0.5
2. the other 5 18.0.5 icake Chinese language pets:
scim64_1.4.14-en-zh-bionic-18.0.5.pet
yong3264_2.4.0-en-zh-bionic-18.0.5.pet
yong3264_th_2016.11.5-en-zh-bionic-18.0.5.pet
yong3264_thth_2014.8.5-en-zh-bionic-18.0.5.pet
yong3264_thjj_2016.7.29-en-zh-bionic-18.0.5.pet
can also run under Fossapup64 9.0.5 to enable Chinese input but there are issues that prevent certain applications to work normally. I cannot find a solution to these issues yet.

You can download fcitx64_4.2.9-zh-en-bionic-18.0.5.pet from my public sharing folders:
https://goo.gl/kdfkFG
http://pan.baidu.com/s/1pJjrVGR
the pet is stored under sub-folder "fcitx64bit"
or from the ally public sharing folder: http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_icake_repository

Let me know if you have further questions.
icake
mistfire

Post by mistfire »

Grey wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:39 pm Who has any thoughts about the executable file packer, for example UPX ( https://github.com/upx/upx )? Sometimes the executable file is reduced by almost four times and this is a good level for Fossapup. Are we still chasing small size or is it not cool and modern anymore?

I'm trying UPX. It works nicely. greatly reduced the executable filesize by 30-60%. But sometimes the compressed executables don't work.
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Grey wrote:Are we still chasing small size or is it not cool and modern anymore?
This is a separate discussion, I think. Not necessarily a FossaPUP or any modern PUP one.

In 2003, our lives were still a bashion of 486s, Pentium Pros, and Pentium 1s: We also had to live with dial-up for much of the world, and RAM sizes were small. Hence, @Barry saw a solution to these problems after watching Knoppix; and now we have Puppy Linux's birth.

Over time MUCH has been changed!!! Internet, hardware, communications, compression techniques, etc. Most of us have benefited from these changes in our PC environments. In fact, although overlooked a lot, there are a few FILESYSTEMs that do compression using "either" the controller, or the I/O subsystem for proper management of info to/fro the storage unit. So for example, with NO other compression tools, the OS+filesystem will intelligently compact/expand data with information preservation insured. And this is just one of those things which factor in. And size, per se, does NOT translate to performance nor functionality or lack thereof. The NTFS is just one of the filesystems which when you setup a drive/partition you turn-on or leave off compression. There are others.

The need today, are much different with STABILITY along with performance being the over-riding concern by most of us.

Again, this just scratches the surface for a discussion of "size (???)" which is misunderstood depending on who is commenting...myself included.

Maybe a new discussion thread you might want to open OUTSIDE of FossaPUP to better gauge "size" and what it means.

We are in a brave new world as the internet and multimedia is changing EVERYTHING we once knew!
Grey

Post by Grey »

Clarity wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:37 pm Maybe a new discussion thread you might want to open OUTSIDE of FossaPUP to better gauge "size" and what it means.
We are in a brave new world as the internet and multimedia is changing EVERYTHING we once knew!
Well, I didn't want to remember my youth or open new thread :) Size is just the number of bytes the file occupies and in the "new world" this has not changed. Nothing more and without any philosophy. For a small distribution, different ways of reducing the size are important.

mistfire

Post by mistfire »

@Grey

After playing with upx.

Although the executables are packed. However it no longer compressed by compression tools.

I tried to compressed my initrd binaries. The original packed size was 1.3Mb

After I packed the binaries of initrd and rebuild it. The initrd file size is now at 1.7Mb

Also I tried to pack the libs and executables of TazPupppy STS. The original sfs size was 127Mb+ (600Mb+ decompressed)

After packing the libs and executables and repack it to sfs. The TazPuppy sfs file is now at 150Mb+ (450Mb+ decompressed)
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

And size, per se, does NOT translate to performance nor functionality or lack thereof.
I say this not to disagree.

I say it just to emphasize Puppy is loved in the modern times to functionality it has brought to us. Its package selections are traditionally wonderful.

The size you mention seems to be more along the lines of how something is packaged, individually.

Yet, as FossaPUP advances to release date, I am enjoying the addressing of the bugs and the functionality that continues to show up. Currently it is offering approximately 98% of what I need. @Rockedge has that 2% I need. I am looking forward to both.

Puppy has matured, handsomely (or beautifully), too, as far as I can tell.
Grey

Post by Grey »

mistfire wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:15 am Also I tried to pack the libs and executables of TazPupppy STS. The original sfs size was 127Mb+ (600Mb+ decompressed)
After packing the libs and executables and repack it to sfs. The TazPuppy sfs file is now at 150Mb+ (450Mb+ decompressed)
Thanks, mistfire. This is valuable information. I didn't expect you to dare to repack the ENTIRE sfs :o

Grey

Post by Grey »

Clarity wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:23 am I say this not to disagree.
No problem and no offense.

Grey

Post by Grey »

Just today I noticed that PPM lacks a wonderful program XnView(image viewer, batch renamer, batch converter and a bunch of other things). Here it is in .pet. Run through Menu>>Graphic>>XnView Multi Platform
https://yadi.sk/d/2hgYwDHa7hPKtQ

NightKnight2

Post by NightKnight2 »

Hi all,

Can't help noticed that the icon above Trash reads 'File' I think it should be labelled as 'Chat' !?
backi

Post by backi »

Hey Grey !

XnView ..... what a cool App /Programm .

Thanks for the Hint.:thumbup:
Also working in Fossa-Dog .

Regards and :thumbup2: one more Time .
Grey

Post by Grey »

backi wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:22 pm XnView ..... what a cool App /Programm .
188 image formats for reading and 54 for writing. I don't know who needs so much, but it's impressive :)

Grey

Post by Grey »

Windows users have .NET and we have Mono. Fossapup is a small distribution and there is no Mono in the fresh system by default. Meanwhile, there are many interesting progs and games created with Mono.

I made a .pet with two free, fun and addictive games from Retrosouls Team written with Mono:
https://yadi.sk/d/MbnqJntHQSaAHw
It's Alter Ego and Dream Walker(aka Alter Ego 2). A kind of dilogy. Launcher works immediately because of its scripting nature. But not games, because they want Mono. So we need to install 3 things from PPM:
1. mono-runtime_6.8.0.105+dfsg-2 with dependencies (Actually, the Mono runtime itself)
2. libopentk1.1-cil_1.1.4c+dfsg with dependencies (C# binding for OpenGL and OpenAL for making games)
3. libsdl-mixer1.2_1.2.12 (It's just SDL mixer, nothing to say)

After all this shit is installed, the games are started from the launcher(Menu>>Fun>>AlterEgo_launcher). We can write a script that will download and install all this, but I think the package with games and this instruction is enough.
sshot.png
sshot.png (119.45 KiB) Viewed 1848 times

Fishy

Post by Fishy »

I have a fresh frugal install of Fossapup. Everything seems to be working properly but for printing. When cups printer is used from set-up it takes me to Dillo where every thing stalls. Never having used Dillo might be the problem. This is particularly frustrating as printing has worked great for me since the early days of PUPPY.

Is it possible to get a cups pet made? Printer is a HP Photo Smart P1100 (old but reliable). :thumbup2:
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

You are using Fossapup 9.0.5?

Check to see what browser is the default.
menu->Setup->Default Application Chooser->System->Web Browser
Set it to Palemoon
Any help?

Forum Global Moderator

Fishy

Post by Fishy »

Thanks for the reply BigPup. Pale Moon is the default browser. Even so Dillo pops up when Cups Printer Wizard is selected. Bionic and Tahr64 loaded cups without issues.

I have been using Puppy since the early days just because it worked. :cry:
666philb

Post by 666philb »

Fishy wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:48 pm Thanks for the reply BigPup. Pale Moon is the default browser. Even so Dillo pops up when Cups Printer Wizard is selected. Bionic and Tahr64 loaded cups without issues.

I have been using Puppy since the early days just because it worked. :cry:
hi @Fishy
in the default application chooser set the "HTML viewer" to either defaultbrowser or palemoon

Return to “Puppy Projects”