CPU-X - a neat CPU-Z equivalent for Linux...

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

CPU-X - a neat CPU-Z equivalent for Linux...

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, guys & gals.

Got a wee treat for y'all.....and this one WILL, I think, be appreciated.

Some of you may remember my messing around with a CPU-Z equivalent for Linux a couple of years back, called I-Nex. Yes, it did a sterling job of doing what it was built to do.....but to get a 2 MB application running, you had to install over 400 MB of dependencies!

(*Ouch*)

It wanted a brand-new programming language (Gambas), along with a substantially different version of Perl, and TWO different types of Qt - Qt4, and Qt5. Frankly, the dependencies were ridiculous, which is why I never pursued it any further. I only took it as far as I did to see if it could be done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my acquaintances over at BleepingComputer has just unearthed this little beauty, in response to a similar request from another poster. It's called:-

CPU-X

.....and is a mere 2½ MB, all-in. It's not quite as detailed as I-Nex, but it's also nowhere near as resource-demanding.

More importantly, it reports NVidia cards, etc, correctly.....which I-Nex, for all its resource demands, seemingly couldn't.

I've put together builds for Xenialpup64 & Bionicpup64. You download a whole set of install apps & deps for several releases of either Ubuntu, Debian, or OpenSUSE..... from here, at Github. It entails installing a bunch of small packages in each case, so I've just done my usual trick & concatenated everything into a single package, for ease of installation.

There is a single 32-bit build in the tarball package for 32-bit Xenial. After this, it all goes 64-bit only. There's an AppImage available, but it's only for Focal Fossa, and these packages appear to be distro-specific.....there being sufficient differences between each one to throw seg-faults & all kinds of errors.

-------------------------------------------------------

Anybody who's interested can find the Xenial64/Bionic64 packages here:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

Return to “Utilities”