The Debian-Live Daedalus Starter Kit

Moderator: fredx181

rcrsn51

Re: The Debian-Live Bullseye Starter Kit

Post by rcrsn51 »

spotted wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:02 am

Can someone tell me the menu.1st cheatcode for from=/

I don't understand that. Please explain.

'live' is on sda6 and changes is on sda7

This is something that the deblive-multi-installer can handle easily with UUIDs.

dcung

Post by dcung »

rcrsn51 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:22 am

You are looking for the realtek 88x2bu wifi driver for these kernels? Sorry, no.

Yes, for realtek. It's not a necessity but curiosity. Thanks for info Bill.

dcung

Post by dcung »

rcrsn51 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:25 am
spotted wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:02 am

Can someone tell me the menu.1st cheatcode for from=/

I don't understand that. Please explain.

'live' is on sda6 and changes is on sda7

This is something that the deblive-multi-installer can handle easily with UUIDs.

I'm guessing spotted is trying to load Bullseye from sda6 and have his save (change) on sda7 (?).
And he wants to know what menu.lst entry looks like. I never did that, so I don't know.
I only ever do similar thing in Fatdog8, load from sda1 and save on sda2 and this is what the menu looks like (Fatdog generated for me):

Code: Select all

title Fatdog64 8
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /FatDog8/vmlinuz savefile=direct:device:sda2:/fd64save
initrd /FatDog8/initrd

I think the "rootnoverify (hd0,0)" can also be replaced with UUIDs, root (hd0,0) or some find --set-root statement too.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

@spotted: Any updates? If you get help, you should show the courtesy of a reply.

spotted

Post by spotted »

@spotted: Any updates? Yes, flat out working on it, heres some homework for 'ya.

Sorted I did the 'How to make a Starter Kit bootable flash drive' from page 2 on a usb flash drive to learn how to do it. It worked so well I copied it to my SSD just like can do in Fatdog, it worked on the SSD but I could not jag the from/= cheatcode. Heres the kernel line you gave on page 2.
kernel /live/vmlinuz1 edd=off noauto copy2ram from=/
Sorted it by learning to do a 'stretch-live-frugal' on the usb drive first then started a fresh stretch-live-frugal on the SSD. Done.
Then I attempted to install, Mate desktop, lightdm, did 'service light start' in the terminal and got a black screen looked half like a gdm3 desktop. But it rebooted so I installed gdm3 and rebooted and hosed it all, but still have all the MATE .debs safely in var/archives. Gdm3 generally gives a popup to choose what DM to setup but didnt this time. Knew I was in trouble then. Renamed 'changes' and am ready to start again with a clean install. The Mate debs are safely stored away on a flash drive and I know how to pup them into var/archives to be used again.

Any body know how to 'service whatever stop' and kick-in gdm3?
Any body know how to install gdm3 DM and not install Gnome desktop as well.
Also Palemoon.sfs would not load, complained about 'IceTransOpen: Unable to Parse address /usr/bin/x-session-manage'
but installed the .cache and .moonchild productions files in root.

Hoping someone sends you a Pi4 sometime soon.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Instead of using the old stretch-live-frugal-installer, I would recommend the newer deblive-multi-installer. Get if from the second post at the top of this thread.

Have you solved the "sda6 vs sda7" issue using UUIDs?

I cannot help you with any of the Mate stuff. You should post a separate message in the main DebianDog thread where fred will see it.

The Palemoon squashfs module works for me. Did it add a menu entry under Internet?

rcrsn51

Peasy DVD v1.0

Post by rcrsn51 »

Peasy DVD combines several DVD-related tasks into one app. The main screen is the original Peasy DVD Player with a new feature. It can play a movie from an ISO file instead of the DVD disc. If the ISO was created by a cloning procedure (see below), it contains all the Title/Chapter content of the original disc. Compare this to most DVD ripping functions, which produce a single title merged into one chapter. Use the Info button to see what's in the ISO file.

The Rip/Shrink/Convert/Author/Burn tools provide the standard technique for copying a DVD. You can rip any title (the main movie is not always Title 1), a single chapter or a chapter range like 5-12. Then use the Shrink tool to select a specific language or subtitle.

The Rip tool makes an MPG file with audio and video streams that will work fine in most media players. But if you want to burn a new DVD disc, you need to add a "navigation" stream. The Convert tool does this via ffmpeg. The VOB_OPTIONS variable in the Config file sets the parameters. The result is a VOB file.

The Author tool uses the above VOB file to generate the structure required by DVDs, then builds an ISO file. If the final ISO is small enough, you can burn it to a DVD disc. If the ISO is too big, you could rip the movie into two parts and burn them separately.

Be aware that this procedure gets you a one-title, one-big-chapter movie. Read the Help to see the various keyboard navigation controls.

The Clone tool copies a full decrypted image of a DVD disc to an ISO file on your hard drive. Media players should see all the movie's content just as if you were playing it from the actual disc.

Use the BUILD_LOCATION variable in the Config to select a working area with lots of space.

While the above functions should run smoothly, with the occasional warning message, you may sometimes need to enter Debug mode. Set the DEBUG variable to "-hold".

------------------

Attachments
snappie.png
snappie.png (38.9 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
peasydvd_1.0_all.deb.gz
Remove the fake .gz extension
(6.43 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
spotted

Post by spotted »

On the SSD I now have learned to install deblive-multi-installer with grub4dos to boot. But I toy around on a flash drive while I am learning and have mate desktop working. Will have to change laptop to GPT some day as I rely on it for international banking to receive my age pension. Read your piece on GPT and legacy BIOS security issues.
I have palemoon 29.2.1-1.gtk working on the flash drive. Installing from deb installer did not work. Opened up the .deb and copied everything into place, just works. But palemoon is in usr-lib not opt. Went straight to gibson shield-up and everything is a sea of green, stealthy. Still gives the '-IceTransOpen: Unable to Parse address /usr/bin/x-session-manager-' message when started from a terminal but starts. Is /opt boxed in, sandboxed, containerised, whatever its called like in /home/spot/downloads is in Fatdog to keep out the hackers, crackers and jackers?

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Regarding the terminal messages: You can ignore them. Other apps show those same messages when started from the command line.

Regarding Palemoon: How did you originally use it? The intent is to download the squashfs module and place it in your "live" folder. It will then auto-load at bootup and make a menu entry under Internet.

If you want to build a new module, there are instructions in the Stretch thread in the old forum.

There is nothing special about running from the opt folder. But if you want a more secure way to run Palemoon, you can do it from a non-root user.

1. Run System Tools > Add New Users and make a "guest" user.

2. Download the attached script named "palemoon-guest", extract it and copy it to /usr/local/bin

3. If your setup has a .desktop file for Palemoon in /usr/share/applications, you can change the "Exec" line to run "palemoon-guest".

Attachments
palemoon-guest.tar.gz
(165 Bytes) Downloaded 33 times
spotted

Post by spotted »

Hi rcrsn51
I tried your palemoon-guest but could not get it to work.
I did not spend any time trying to sort it, I wanted the mate desktop first. Now that I have mate installed I shall spend some more time on it.
Bingo, palemoon starts and puts the .cache .palemoon productions files into 'guest' folder so is working as 'guest' I hope. To get a desktop icon I 'copy' 'paste' palemoon.desktop into root/desktop, it works so thanks. When I was making 'guest' I clicked also 'www.data' thinking that is needed for internet, good or bad thing? I dont have to log onto 'guest' even though I had to make a password, it is available in 'home' just like 'puppy'. Is 'guest' cracker proof bearing in mind BK says nothing is safe on the internet? Thanks

Hmmm, I just see www.data is a link, shall have to see remove that one!!

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

@spotted I don't know what you mean by "www.data". My instructions for running Palemoon as a guest user apply to the regular Starter Kit setup. I can't comment on how it works under Mate.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

"www-data" is a group, adding it to guest user is not required for Palemoon to "run as guest", but I guess that it can't do any harm either.

spotted

Post by spotted »

www.data is sorted. I deleted the 'guest ' folder and everything palemoon with Fatdog. Then made a new 'guest' and went without toying with anything in the popup , Palemoon work ok. Thanks all

rcrsn51

How to use Btrfs in the Starter Kit

Post by rcrsn51 »

Installing the Starter Kit in a Btrfs partition takes some work.

1. Get the Debian package: btrfs-progs.
2. Run Gparted and create a btrfs partition as usual.
3. Run the deblive-multi-installer.
4. The Target Partition drop-down list will not show your btrfs partition, so type it in.
5. Install the Starter Kit as usual.
6. Boot the new install.
7. Unfortunately, you will get a "from= cheatcode not found" error because the Starter Kit initrd is not aware of btrfs filesystems. You need to make a custom initrd.
8. Get the package: upgrade-kernel.
9. Go to /usr/local/cr-initrd.
10. In the "initramfs" subfolder, open the file "modlist". At the end of the long list of modules, add "btrfs".
11. Go up one level and open the script "mkinitrd".
12. After line 100, add the line "copy_including_deps /$LMK/kernel/fs/btrfs".
13. Run the script to create a new initrd1.xz.
14. Drop this file into the "live" folder of your btrfs install.
15. Reboot.

fredx181

Re: How to use Btrfs in the Starter Kit

Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:43 pm

Installing the Starter Kit in a Btrfs partition takes some work.
10. In the "initramfs" subfolder, open the file "modlist". At the end of the long list of modules, add "btrfs".
11. Go up one level and open the script "mkinitrd".
12. After line 100, add the line "copy_including_deps /$LMK/kernel/fs/btrfs".

I've made these changes in new upgrade-kernel package (v1.7.0), install with Synaptic or apt.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks.

But from what I've read, it doesn't look like btrfs adds much value for the home user.

Particularly in an environment where people are still discussing the merits of ext3 vs ext4. ;)

dancytron

Re: AV Converter v2.1

Post by dancytron »

rcrsn51 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:16 pm

This version, updated from here, adds an Info button. It uses the ffprobe tool to display information about a file, like bitrate/sampling rate/sample format/channels.

/snipped

Read here for more examples.

------------------

Latest version seems to work in all respects on Debian Dog Stretch.

rcrsn51

Re: AV Converter v2.1

Post by rcrsn51 »

dancytron wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:06 pm

Latest version seems to work in all respects on Debian Dog Stretch.

Thanks. I am currently adding stuff to the Puppy version. When that's done, I will update the Dog version.

rcrsn51

Re: AV-Converter

Post by rcrsn51 »

AV-Converter updated to v2.3.4 here.

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
dancytron

Re: AV-Converter

Post by dancytron »

rcrsn51 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:11 am

AV-Converter updated to v2.3.3 here.

Updated and seems to work fine...

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

... it doesn't look like btrfs adds much value for the home user.

Could the "filesystem's compression feature" bring relief to old spinning limited storage drives be one of it most advantageous advantage?

Of course users would need to know how to format the btrfs partition enabling the feature.

Also, even without the changes specified in this thread, the main problem is having the build system ISO's GRUB2-EFI understand btrfs even as the OS does not currently.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Clarity wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:49 am

.... the main problem is having the build system ISO's GRUB2-EFI understand btrfs even as the OS does not currently.

As you stated in a previous thread, if the stock ISO does not suit your needs, you can easily remaster it.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

AV-Converter v2.3.4 is posted here with one small change. When you select an unsupported conversion, the message now recommends the ANY-ANY method and shows you the corresponding ANYOPTS variable to put in your Config file.

This procedure can handle most conversions in ffmpeg's repertoire.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

AV-Converter v2.3.6 is posted here. The "|" notation from v2.3.5 has been removed in favour of making selections like ANY-MP3.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:18 pm

AV-Converter v2.3.6 is posted here. The "|" notation from v2.3.5 has been removed in favour of making selections like ANY-MP3.

Added v2.3.6 to the custom 'Dog' repositories, thanks.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:56 pm

Is it supposed to be in the Stretch repo?

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:16 am

Sorry, no, not updating Stretch anymore, only Buster and later (Bullseye and Sid).

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:51 am
dancytron wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:16 am

Sorry, no, not updating Stretch anymore, only Buster and later (Bullseye and Sid).

ok, no problem...

spotted

Post by spotted »

@ rcrsn51
Are all the apps that show up under 'peasy' in synaptic the full list of apps you have compiled?
I am using so far, peasy wifi, peasyscale, peasypdf, peasypartview, peasymount, peasyfwmon, peasyclock, peasy-ytdl

Are these apps from you also, apttosfs, apttosfs for full install, file finder, save folder backup, unzipper extract archive, all apps in 'ddog special', install deb's + dependencies, make iso from frugal install, quick remaster gui, keyboard layout, set timezone, sfs-load gui, sound card selector, touchpad.

Should Docks and Downloads go in /root or /home?
Almost got the best distro ever!! Thanks

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

All of my apps are scripts in /usr/local/bin. My name appears at the top of the script.

Some apps in the menus come from Fred's packages.

Return to “Debian-Live Starter Kit”