Redshift not working in any Puppy I've tried but Slacko64-8.2.1

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

hundido

Redshift not working in any Puppy I've tried but Slacko64-8.2.1

Post by hundido »

Hi! Puppy Linux just saved my computer. So grateful.

One thing: I really need a blue light filter to use a device, and redshift isn't working correctly. The icon will bring up the gui, and I can toggle the slider, but the color never warms up. Is there a way I can fix this?

System info:
FossaPup64 9.5

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor
Ram: 65876704 Kib
Motherboard: -CF / X570 AORUS PRO WIFI

Running puppy linux from a usb stick, I think it's like 60 gigs or so?

Thanks so much if you can help me fix this!

Last edited by hundido on Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
hundido

Re: Redshift not working in Focal Fossa 9.5

Post by hundido »

My monitor has a built in warm setting. It helps some, but isn't quite enough. I installed another program called ScreenControl under the Desktop heading of the menu.

I got it from here: viewtopic.php?f=106&t=400&p=2968&hilit=redshift#p2968

When I start the program, it shows that I'm on 10% brightness, which is about what I've got my monitor set to, and night color does nothing. Could puppy be ignoring the programs because it thinks my monitor changed the color temperature enough?

Monitor is an ASUS eye care monitor, I don't know how to get the model number.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

not sure which version of redshift you have working at the moment, but open a terminal or console and try

sct 4000

at the prompt (or any number up to 10,000)

hundido

Post by hundido »

Thank you williwaw.

I opened a terminal and tried:

sct 2000
sct 800
sct 1100

Nothing changed.

hundido

Post by hundido »

I tried to check which version of redshift is installed. Is the best way to do that to go to the package manager, click uninstall, and look at the list of options?

It looks like I've got
Debian-redshiftgui-v1.4-noarch
ScreenControl_redshift-v1.4-noarch
BSTC4desktop-amd64

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

looking at uninstall would tell you about the user installed apps. Maybe a search for "redshift" , then look in the main window to learn more about the one that comes with fossa.

viewtopic.php?p=2968#p2968 this post seems to indicte you might need redshift-cli to make screencontrol work?

HerrBert

Post by HerrBert »

I'm not an expert in Fossapup but i had the same problem in Slacko on an Asus EeePC Netbook, where even xgamma did not work.

I was able to fix it by changing the graphics driver from fbdev to modesetting.

So maybe you take a look at what graphics driver your Puppy uses and, if it's fbdev, try another one...

hundido

Post by hundido »

I have one usb that's burned with FossaPup64 and one that has Slacko7.

How do I change the graphics driver?

hundido

Post by hundido »

Screenshot of attempts at Blue Light Blocking
Screenshot of attempts at Blue Light Blocking
Screenshot.png (421.31 KiB) Viewed 1308 times

So far I have an eye protection monitor with a built in warm setting, ScreenControl turned on, Redshift turned on, and I messed with Monitor Gamma Calibration. This was as red as I've been able to make it so far.

I'm really hoping to get to 1200k color temperature like I was able to do in kde or gnome, or can do using Twighlight or Redmoon on my Android phone.

HerrBert

Post by HerrBert »

Here's how i did:

Exit X (Leave -> Exit to prompt)
run xorgwizard
change video driver
restart X (xwin)

hundido

Post by hundido »

I changed the video driver to modsetting and then restarted xorg. Then I restarted Screen Control and Redshift. Then nothing really changed.

I found this thing called gcolor2script under Graphic. Is it possible to go into Edit gcolors.conf and to erase or replace all white colors with yellows, creams, and oranges? What does doing that right look like?

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Your screenshot shows that you have 2 screencontrol programs active. It could be that they conflict with each other.
So disabling one of the 2 might help. Can't say for sure, but worth trying, I guess.

Fred

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@hundido :- :welcome: to the "kennels".

Looks like you're using one of my early versions of ScreenControl (I can tell that from the tray icon).

Fred and I found, during early development, that certain of the items I included were conflicting with other items, and stopping them from working. Can you give me the exact name & version number of the ScreenControl .pet?

BTW, what are your hardware specs? I don't think anybody's asked this yet, and it WILL help to know.

------------------------------------------------

@fredx181 :-

Which d'you think the OP would be better off with, Fred? Because Fossa comes with Redshift-gui built-in.....though, having said that, I much prefer your RedShift-lite 'portable' self-extracter; been using it for a long while now.

hundido's issues sound vaguely similar to some of the issues you & I ran up against when we were developing ScreenControl....or he/she might just have one of those rare, awkward graphics chips/cards that simply won't respond to the standard gamma ramp manipulation, etc. If that's the case, it could be that HerrBert's 'workaround' is the only thing that'll cure it..... :?

Mike. ;)

HerrBert

Post by HerrBert »

@mikewalsh

This 'workaround' was taken from Slacko 5.7.0. This Asus EeePC uses the Intel Cedarview aka PowerVR SGX545 graphics chipset. I recalled that Slacko 5.7.0 had a script /usr/sbin/xcedarview.sh to workaround this. The script didn't work because drivers were not in place, but it gave me an idea of what may be done.
The Puppy in use is Slacko 6.3.2, which by default boots to desktop using fbdev.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

HerrBert wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:40 am

@mikewalsh

This 'workaround' was taken from Slacko 5.7.0. This Asus EeePC uses the Intel Cedarview aka PowerVR SGX545 graphics chipset. I recalled that Slacko 5.7.0 had a script /usr/sbin/xcedarview.sh to workaround this. The script didn't work because drivers were not in place, but it gave me an idea of what may be done.
The Puppy in use is Slacko 6.3.2, which by default boots to desktop using fbdev.

Yah, I seem to recall Lucid was another that used to boot to desktop using fbdev, OOTB. Probably why it, too, just seemed to work on literally anything at the time...

Mike. ;)

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

screen control, on my equipment has some issues, but sct seems to work from the terminal, so for me the workaround gets the job done.

sct seems to control the backlight, which your asus monitor is doing inside the monitor itself, so perhaps a software color control is better for you? I am guessing xrandr based control might be what you are looking for......
lots of info here.
https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtop ... 9&t=114277

You are running a single monitor on a desktop?

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

mikewalsh wrote:

hundido's issues sound vaguely similar to some of the issues you & I ran up against when we were developing ScreenControl....

I think you wrote about that here : https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtop ... 6#p1004588

Fred

hundido

Post by hundido »

[textcolors]mikewalsh[/textcolors]

Here's my system info:

System info:
FossaPup64 9.5 or Slack 32 bit 07, both run from USB sticks. Currently I'm on the Fossapup stick, which is an AI Mass Storage Stick

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor
1 physical processor, 8 cores, 16 threads
Ram: 65876704 Kib
Motherboard: -CF / X570 AORUS PRO WIFI

It's a really nice desktop with a monitor, but now it only runs puppy linux because either Kubuntu or I broke it.

Monitor: Asus Eyecare Monitor

I can't figure out persistence either, so I keep redownloading the same packages every time I restart the computer.

This morning I downloaded BSTC4desktop-amd64.pet. I started it without also starting redshift, and still not the warm color I'm hoping for.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@hundido :-

Jeezus H..... 64 GB RAM...??? (I thought I had more then enough with 32 GB..! Mind you, that's 'max-out' for this HP Pavilion mobo....) :D Ryzen 5800X; 'Vega' graphics? You may be better off using the proprietary AMD driver, instead of the in-kernel 'radeon' one, though on this side of the fence, Nvidia tends to be easier to install. Sad, but true.

Yeah, that's all fairly recent gear.....but Fossapup's kernel should handle it. Hmm.....not sure what's happening there, TBH. O-kay. Try this:-

Download Fred's self-contained, 'portable' Redshift-lite package.....from here:-

https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=114353

Have a read about it - this is a home-grown Puppy package, though it makes use of some open-source internals. The packages are attached to the post (they're very small). You'll want 'rshift-portable-64-v3.tar.gz'. If they won't download (the old Forum is now a giant read-only archive), you can find them mirrored at my Google Drive, here:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Before you do anything with it, uninstall all the other stuff you added. (My bad; if Fossapup won't save anything, you won't need to. Which begs the question; WHY isn't it saving? Don't you get the offer to create a 'save' at shutdown..?

Puppy doesn't use 'persistence' in the same way as the 'buntu 'flavours' do; instead, we use either a 'save-file' or a 'save-folder'. If you don't have one set-up, you should get the offer to create one at the end of the session, when you shutdown.)

We really need to get that sorted out for you before you try anything else. It's a bit daft, constantly re-installing every time you fire Puppy up.....unless, of course, you WANT Puppy to work that way??

Mike. ;)

(BTW; to give someone a "mention", start typing their member-name......but put an "@" in front of it. After 2 or 3 letters, you should get a drop-down appear, with some names to choose from. Click on the appropriate name; this will auto-complete their name, and wrap {mention} 'tags' round it. Their name will be highlighted in red in the post itself, and the 'mention' tags will trigger a notification.)

hundido

Post by hundido »

20210616_151058.jpg
20210616_151058.jpg (71.47 KiB) Viewed 982 times

Here's my boot menu. Other than the three USB partitions, it came with all that. I feel like it will come up so sharing now. I have to choose partition two to boot successfully.

hundido

Post by hundido »

20210616_151851.jpg
20210616_151851.jpg (69.16 KiB) Viewed 1045 times

Here's the partitions I can choose to save. I choose sdb2 because that's my flash drive, right?

hundido

Post by hundido »

I choose normal, no encryption.

20210616_152218.jpg
20210616_152218.jpg (76.5 KiB) Viewed 1045 times

I'm choosing ext2 because I'm in doubt and have no idea how to make this save thing work.

hundido

Post by hundido »

20210616_152515.jpg
20210616_152515.jpg (83.01 KiB) Viewed 1045 times

Why is the size of the save file -82 KB?

Well, I'll click "yes, save"

My computer shut down.

Upon rebooting, I selected the usual options, and...we're back to the fresh system without the new background picture or icons I selected to test saving.

What am I doing wrong?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@hundido :-

One question - if I may? What size is your flash drive? Because I've NEVER seen a flash drive that small before.....

What would help enormously is a screenshot of gParted, showing what you say is your flash drive (sdb2..?). And if what I see in the corner of your first image is right, it looks like you've got at least 3 USB devices plugged in.....and every single drive in your system is either exFAT or FAT32 (aka vfat). What ARE those other USB devices, please?

These are not Linux file-systems, they're Windows file-systems.

Now, Puppy CAN run from a FAT32 partition, but it then needs to use a 'save-file'. This 'save-file' will contain a complete Linux file-system inside it. A 'save-FOLDER' requires a Linux-formatted file-system to already be in place before it can function.

If Puppy detects a FAT32 file-system, by default it SHOULD only offer the 'save-file' anyway...... We need to know for definite which of those USB devices is your flash drive; to me, at least, I cannot concur with your assessment without knowing what those 3 USB devices are supposed to be.....

---------------------------------------

Ummm.....curious. Where's sdb1? If you have an sdb2, there must, logically, be an sdb1 ahead of it.....so where is it?

From the screenshot, it would appear that your main system drive is a 1 TB NVME SSD, which is formatted as exFAT. Puppy is showing it twice, because sda1 is your primary system drive, but Linux always lists flash "block" devices separately.

'nvme0n1pn' would, on the face of it, appear to be the required UEFI 'boot' partition on the main drive.....but if it IS, I don't understand why the main system partition is then sda1. It should be sda2.....

We definitely need a screenshot of gParted, showing your main drive.

(Others will have to take over from here. It's WAY past my bed-time!)

Mike. :?

hundido

Post by hundido »

20210616_172810.jpg
20210616_172810.jpg (85.54 KiB) Viewed 1038 times

@mikewalsh it says 58.6 G

There's only one flash drive. I have no idea why it's listed 3 times at boot and at the bottom of the screen.

As far as I can tell, SDB and sdb1 are my computer seeing the one flash drive as 3 separate drives. There's only 1 flash drive plugged in.

hundido

Post by hundido »

20210616_173627.jpg
20210616_173627.jpg (80.61 KiB) Viewed 1038 times

A second picture with sdb listed once in gparted and three times at the bottom of the screen.

hundido

Post by hundido »

20210616_174712.jpg
20210616_174712.jpg (66.99 KiB) Viewed 1038 times

The other USB with slacko-7 on it displays the same weird way.

joet12345

Post by joet12345 »

I have encountered this in puppy distributions and use one of the following commands as the as a temporary/permanent fix

Code: Select all

echo 5 /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
tee /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness <<< 2

echo 5 can be used 0-9 example: echo 1
brightness <<< 2 can be used 0-9 example: brightness <<< 0

where 0 lowers the brightness the lowest....

One last resort is to wear sun glasses lol...sun glasses or even green glasses that gun shooting folks use: https://duckduckgo.com/?kl=us-en&q=smit ... &ia=images

Grey

Post by Grey »

joet12345 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:05 am

One last resort is to wear sun glasses lol...

And on top of the first glasses, put on these second ones, with "blue ray blocking" :)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

from https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... -and-color
try the two commands shown in the code blocks in your terminal

You can modify gamma settings (colors and effectively contrast too) using xrandr tool. First determine the output name of your monitor:

xrandr -q | grep connected

DFP1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 477mm x 268mm
CRT1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

In the above example I have a monitor connected and seen as output DFP1. So now for the gamma modification example:

xrandr --output DFP1 --gamma 2.0:1.0:0.5

Where gamma values are in format Red:Green:Blue.

also, perhaps it might be easier to copy and paste terminal output rather than taking photos of your monitor?

the icons that appear to be duplicates could be, one icon showing the disk, and another showing a partition on that disk. a more complete report can be had by typing

parted 

in the terminal, then after the

Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted)

type

print all

output can be put in a code block to retain table formatting with the </> button at the top of the editor.

Return to “Beginners Help”