Australia & China have done some wonderful things

Clarity

Australia & China have done some wonderful things

Post by Clarity »

Puppy Linux, of course is one. Before that, SAMBA is another.
Here's another of their technical achievements

Be Proud!
xenial

Re: Australia & China have done some wonderful things

Post by xenial »

Here in the uk during the 70s there was what was called an australian rehabilitation scheme which my folks joined and then backed out of.
I was only a baby but i very nearly became what was called a "£20 pom"...my life would have been drastically different to what it is now and may have been much better in some terms..i often think of what it would have been like to have been an aussie and i am sure i would have enjoyed finding out.

Australia is a fine nation and should be proud. :thumbup2:

wiak

Post by wiak »

Clarity wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:01 am

Puppy Linux, of course is one. Before that, SAMBA is another.
Here's another of their technical achievements

Be Proud!

I didn't know James Clerk Maxwell was Australian. Oh well...

But Clarity... should it matter at all where a person comes from, what their gender is, what there religion is, what their colour is, whether birth or accident has left them physically or mentally challenged in any way, what diet they choose to eat, how large, or small they are (in any direction), and so on? Linux development is an international collaboration - okay, so Finland will be proud of Linus... most of the rest of us are small fry and our individual contributions are nothing whatsoever to do with the countries we come from IMO. Creating a club or clique that favours some subgroup you consider you belong to simply creates division and nepotism. WeeDogLinux core build system, is not a Scottish creation, for example - it was simply created by me... and 'created' is more than a little bit of an exaggeration - I simply follow the kernel documentation (for overlayfs, for example) and the countless tutorial/documentation/examples/other_distro_efforts and so on that permeate the available open source resources available.

Some individuals from Australia have made great things. Some individuals from China have made great things. Some individuals from Ethiopia have made great things. But there is the rub - if status and awards are only available to the privileged - to individuals from the rich, developed countries of the world (or the minority rich and privileged from the otherwise undeveloped world) then it is nothing to boast about anyway. I've seen great innovations from very deprived people in Zimbabwe - they amazed me, and more so in terms of the limited resources they had access to. As individuals we can all be 'proud' when we do our best and perhaps achieve something that others find useful (or incredibly useful in the Puppy's case), but as a country? Nah. In Scotland we still, tongue in cheek, make a fuss about how better our whisky is, or our claim, against Marconi, that we invented television, and heaps of other things - but I would not be surprised at all to discover that a woman from some poor country sitting in her amazing efficiently created grass hut, whilst cooking dinner for her patriarchal husband, made some 'steam engine' to draw up water out of her village well... It is she that should be proud. For doing such a great job, in such difficult circumstances.

wiak

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

one

Post by one »

@Clarity - no offense intended, but:

I don't like the title of the thread - @wiak is right.

"As individuals we can all be 'proud' when we do our best and perhaps achieve something that others find useful (or incredibly useful in the Puppy's case), but as a country? Nah."

Give credit to real person(s) - never to a whole nation like Australia/China/Jamaika, whatever ...
No reason to be proud because you are german/american/nigerian - that's pointless.

"Until the philosophy which hold one (race/nation) superior
And another inferior
Is finally and permanently
Discredited and abandoned
Everywhere is war
Me say war"

[...]

"That until that day,
dream of lasting peace, world citizenship
Rule of international morality
Will remain in but a fleeting illusion to be pursued, but never attained
Now everywhere is war
War
"

(lyric by Bob Marley)

peace

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

This thread was started, last August, to draw attention to a youtube "technology" video I thought some would want to know. I am hopeful that the Puppy community who did watch the video got to enjoy it.

This title was NOT intended to discount any contributions.

Today, that title may have a different meaning to people than it did when it was posted. Again, its not the countries, but the video enclosed.

"We, are the world" (Hit music title from the past at Youtube.)

ocpaul20

Post by ocpaul20 »

It seems to me, most of the problems over the last few hundreds of years have been caused by countries being overly patriotic and the governments of those countries promoting the nationalistic agenda. They close themselves off from the rest of the world (close internet doors, business doors, and informational doors). If you say anything against the motherland/fatherland/whateverland then you are a baddie and a reaction ensues. The only person they hurt with this attitude is themselves.

System: Fanless PC DebianDog Buster Frugal

Return to “Off-Topic Area”