2020 PUP/DOG booting made simple by WoofCE developers - HowTo

Moderator: Forum moderators

Clarity

2020 PUP/DOG booting made simple by WoofCE developers - HowTo

Post by Clarity »

The thread is merely an ALERT and is to be regarded as mere information that may be useful.

At the end of 2019 and the beginning of 2020, WoofCE developers added more support for GRUB2 in our UEFI world of 64bit PCs. PUP users now enjoy the fruits of that advancement from them. New 2020 generated PUPs come equipped with the needs for booting on old or new PCs thanks muchly to the efforts of the Linux development community, the PC manufacturers, and our own developers, combined.

This thread focuses attention to one aspect that some may have missed in understanding of 1-2 aspects of the importance of the advancement that the developers gave us users.

Its VERY SUBTLE, but very useful...We can...with no effort except downloading modern (2020 to now) PUP-DOG ISOs, WE CAN boot the ISO directly and gain ALL of the same benefits, advantages, functionality, and flexibility that a Frugal gives without ANY need to tie-up space that Frugal demands.

And, at the same time there is a security component subtlely included as ISOs cannot be directly tampered (of course you could find ways if you knew).

Their advancement gives PUPs/DOGs a new component in how you manage your system...out of the box (OOTB).

Today, we can create a USB or a DVD of a pre-boot manager (SG2D) which make PUPs available for booting by merely downloaded its ISO. NOTHING ELSE!!!!

To take advantage of what the developer now give us has a one-time requirement if you choose to use the ISO boot ability, now present.

How To:
The one-time requirement: You MUST make either a USB or a DVD that will be used to boot. It will find your ISOs and present any of them you have for selection. It ALSO will present you main system installed on your HDD/SSD, as well.

Go here:

1. make your pre-boot USB or DVD, gotten from here

2. put all your PUP/DOG ISOs in a folder (/BOOTISOS) from this point going forward

3. Boot your USB or your DVD

Run your PUPs/DOGs in EXACTLY the same ways as you always have. Thank your PUP developers. This simple addition, they provided, allows us to boot in a way where we have EVERYTHING running the same as a Frugal does....without any of the frugal fuss.

That its!
P.S. This addition did not and HAS NOT impacted Frugal use in ANY way! This is merely posted to add some clear-minded alerting to us, users.

Edits are corrections to spellings and added links.

Last edited by Clarity on Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:31 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Clarity

Re: 2020 PUP/DOG booting made simple by WoofCE developers

Post by Clarity »

This thread is presented as mere information.

It is presented because it appears that some users are viewing this benefit as some war about the PUP boot process. IT IS NOT.

This ALSO in presented as it appears that some may find this a war between Frugal and ISO booting. IT IS NOT.

I believe EVERYONE should choose what methods they are most comfortable with. As such this thread is posted to show ONE method that could be comfortable for some. There are some advantages that the PUP developers saw which allows our 2020 PUPs & DOGs to be booted even when we might be using a pre-boot manager.

FYI

Edited: To add imphasis to "it is not" declaration. This thread is ONLY to be viewed as a helper for easy booting and management of your newer PUPs/DOGs via SG2D.

Last edited by Clarity on Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dellus

Post by dellus »

Hi Clarity,
I have made such a Supergrub2 boot stick and enjoy using it for booting newer woof puppies. But it can't be used on older or more deviant puppies. This spoils the joy a bit. I have to maintain a second boot procedure, plug in that stick. Can you persuade SGRB2 developers to make a puppy of it, or can you do it yourself? Then I could boot SGRB2 from the Grub4dos procedure from the hard drive, where also those older frugal puppies are.

Sorry to molest you

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

This post is a Redundant error. It is repeat of the following post that occurred during a forum post glitch

Last edited by Clarity on Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

This was originally presented to the Puppy community on the old forum by @ETP. And I give credit to him for his exposure to us.

There are further threads in this current forum over the past months showing PUPs and DOGS booting taking advantage of what we have been given so that the process can be seen for its ease of use.

Over the years, I have used several of the pre-boot managers found in the wild. If there are questions, feel free to PM me.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Hi Clarity,
Thanks for linking to ETP's post on the old forum. After reading it and following the links from it I discovered ETP's pet and I think I learned some important things about supergrub2. I wasn't certain if I properly understood supergrub2's abilities and in any event had some further questions. As this Section of the Forum is supposed to provide a Quick Reference about "How to", I've started a thread in the Systems Section of Additional Software. viewtopic.php?f=105&t=2135

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

ALL of the same benefits, advantages, functionality, and flexibility that a Frugal gives without ANY need to tie-up space that Frugal demands.

There is no real space usage difference between the space needed for the Puppy iso and the space used by a frugal install.
A frugal install uses the exact same sfs and other files that are inside the iso.
These files use the same space on the drive.

Example:
Fossapup64 9.5 iso sise is 409MB.
Frugal install of Fossapup64 9.5 size is 409MB

Actually the frugal install could be a little smaller if you only have what is actually needed to boot and run.
Minimum required files:

Screenshot(3).jpg
Screenshot(3).jpg (23.91 KiB) Viewed 892 times

Files in a typical Puppy iso:

Screenshot(4).jpg
Screenshot(4).jpg (33.65 KiB) Viewed 890 times

The boot loader only needs installed, one time on the drive, and setup to boot all the frugal installs, on the drive.
All Puppy iso's have boot loader files in them for use as a live USB or live CD/DVD install.
Those boot loader files are not needed in a frugal install, as long as a boot loader has been installed on the drive, to do the booting of what is on the drive.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

bigpup wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:01 pm

ALL of the same benefits, advantages, functionality, and flexibility that a Frugal gives without ANY need to tie-up space that Frugal demands.

... All Puppy iso's have boot loader files in them for use as a live USB or live CD/DVD ...

Yes, @bigpup I am in total agreement as you show.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Can supergrub2 do any of these:

1) Boot fossapup64-9.5 using other than its builtin kernel?
2) Multi-boot fossapup64-9.5 and its next iteration named, say fossapup64-9.6 offering a means by which the user can distinguish between them?
3) Boot 2 instances of fossapup64 --one setup for general use, the second fleshed out for video-editing or any other special task-- offering a means by which the user can distinguish between them?
4) Offer to boot from among several SaveFiles and/or SaveFolders all on the same partition offering a means by which the user can distinguish between them?
5) Distinguish between two versions of the same Puppy, one on one partition, the second on a different partition?

If it can't do all of the above, stop representing that supergrub2 can do everything which can be done by deconstructing an ISO and using either grub4dos (when possible, i.e. no UEFI involvement) or frugalpup-installer if a UEFI computer is involved.

Clarity

Re: 2020 PUP/DOG booting made simple by WoofCE developers - HowTo

Post by Clarity »

Again, EVERYTHING you can do with a normal PUP using Frugal, you can do with this PUP feature. Like Frugal, this exposes a method of use of feature in WoofCE PUPs.

ALL PUP utilities work the same. ALL session save options are the same.

This just spares you the fuss for Frugal management. You only, now, need to manage your save-session and your data storage as you always have needed.

I have yet to find how this update in WoofCE has degraded any PUP use.

If you know of any, it would be good to post.

P.S. If you haven't given it a try to evaluate, why post here on this thread? Any question after trying, though, will be answered. And, any questions about the steps will also help. If bugs are found, we need those too. Please understand that this thread is about booting of current WoofCE PUPs.

Return to “Boot”