FreeOffice697-English Only

Moderator: Forum moderators

8Geee

FreeOffice697-English Only

Post by 8Geee »

A few years back I included this version of Softmaker's FreeOffice in my spins of Slacko5.7
Its small and powerful, doing Presentations, WordProcessor, and SpreadSheets. One nit here is to view hidden files and move the .softmaker file to root BEFORE starting the program.
This version is PRIOR to Windows10, so no coding for Win10 is in it.

The link will point you to the details... just click on "Show All". The Suite and manuals (English) are separate tgz downloads.

FreeOffice-697en_US

Regards
8Geee

Money talks... no, it shouts, so that it doesn't have to hear common sense.

MochiMoppel

Re: FreeOffice697-English Only

Post by MochiMoppel »

@8Geee Nice and small, but in Slacko5.6 all dialogs are square and most are not resizable :cry:

planmaker.png
planmaker.png (1.45 KiB) Viewed 588 times
8Geee

Post by 8Geee »

I ran into that bug in my precise remaster...

ROX--> options--> Filer Windows tick the box "Double-Click on Background Resizes"

HTH
8Geee

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

@8Geee What would this have to do with ROX-Filer windows? I'm talking about FreeOffice windows.

8Geee

Post by 8Geee »

I dunno, really. but that tick-box was the only box not checked when I ran precise-lite5.7.2 in comparison to Slacko5.7. I had the exact same issue, and it cleared.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

Post by 8Geee »

Mochi, et al;

It seems that the uploaded file for download has a blank tick-box that should be filled. (Mine is correct)

In each of the three parts of the Office...
1.) Click on tools, then on Options
2.) Click the Appearance tab
3.) tick the box "Window Manager positioning"

Combined with the reciprocal ROX tweak above both will hand-shake well.

Regards
8Geee

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

8Geee wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:40 pm

3.) tick the box "Window Manager positioning"

this does the trick :thumbup2:

Combined with the reciprocal ROX tweak above both will hand-shake well.

Works for me with or without changing ROX. Really makes no difference.

@8Geee Your package is a good start to try out this office suite, but apart from above glitch it's a bit problematic because it's already personalized. Paths and settings in the .ini files don't apply to my environment. Without the supplied folders .softmaker and SoftMaker it will start a normal install and ask for a default location, in which it will create the SoftMaker folder, and then it asks for name, email address and registration key (I won't post it here. Those interested can easily obtain it from ofresfo.dat ) . This will produce a clean but legally shaky install. I think some years ago it was customary for vendors to provide free registration keys for their free versions.

SoftMaker doesn't require a registration key anymore. The newest free version can be downloaded from their website and I'm pretty impressed. Together with their freeoffice2018 package comes an installation script which works very well (should be run from command line) and takes care of .desktop files, mime registration and other nitty gritty stuff. It includes everything to run on my old Slacko5.6. It even provides an uninstall tool (not yet tested) and ...yes, properly sized dialogs :)
As your package shows many of the files can be deleted, e.g. the fonts folder, and when removing the spreadsheet and presentation part it should be possible to slim it down to a small but feature rich word processor, easily beating Abiword.

8Geee

Post by 8Geee »

Well, there is that one nitpik I pointed out in 1st post its the dot softmaker file that might hide... when you do this, it will start normal. However, as you point out it helps to keep such files in a single directory for ease of use. Don't worry too much about the ini files, as you use the suite those old paths get bumped off the short list. IIRC the D/L of this en_US is about 18Mb.. the help files about 13Mb.

Regards
8Geee

Return to “Documents”