Kernel 4.1.30 for xenialpup64 7.5 CE?

Moderator: Forum moderators

Dingo

Kernel 4.1.30 for xenialpup64 7.5 CE?

Post by Dingo »

Woof Woof. As far as I know, it seems that there is no kernel 4.1.30 for xenialpup64. Should I forget about this or there is a way I can obtain? Sorry for being so ignorant and dumb

mikeslr

Re: Kernel 4.1.30 for xenialpup64 7.5 CE?

Post by mikeslr »

I think you're right. You might want to consider alternates. You'll find many here, https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux_Huge-Kernels/. I'm not sure all of rockedge's, https://rockedge.org/kernels/ have made it into archive.org.

I used the 4.1.30 (32-bit) kernel on a tahrpup variant primarily because musher0 had reported xenialpup (32-bit) using it had run quicker on low spec computers than when using the 'stock' kernel. I'm not sure that benefit would carry over to a 64-bit kernel. That said, you'll find several 64-bit 4.1 (almost .30) at archive.org; and 4.14.71_x86_64 among rockedge's offerings.

When building Slacko 5.7.2CE I used one of rockedge's Real-Time kernels under the belief that it would provide a speed advantage. I have since read that advantage pertains primarily to working with media.

When swapping kernels, I'm now more inclined to look for newer versions with patches against subsequently discovered malware.

You, of course, know that any recent kernel can be used with any recent Puppy. However, some 'hugh kernel' packages do not include firmware. As firmware is not 'kernel-specific', it can be packaged separately, downloaded once and used multiple times. Always check the link to the kernel for advice as to whether an "fdrv.sfs" is required. AFAIK, those posts will also provide a link to any needed fdrv.sfs.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Dingo :-

You having "issues" with k4.9.58? Or is this to do with your "blurry" images?

I've never had any trouble with k4.9.58, and it's seen service in several other Puppies, besides Xenialpup64. For me, it's as reliable as they come. Like Mike says, AFAIK there isn't a 64-bit version of k4.1.30 anywhere to be found; I suspect, personally, you've got a mis-match with your GPU and Mesa or OpenGL.

That's more likely to be the problem area, and unfortunately, it's less easy to fix.....

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@Dingo - Good advice above. I would like to add that you shouldn't use a slacko64 or lxpup64 kernel for xenial64, as the former 2 use /usr/lib64, whereas the latter uses /usr/lib. I could repackage one of those for you (I have done 4.4.70), but must warn you there are significant security fixes in later kernels.

EDIT: repackaged kernel 4.4.70 for xenial64 (no fdrv needed) is here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/t9dbksi2 ... r.bz2/file
Available till end May 2021. Use at own risk.

Last edited by ozsouth on Thu May 13, 2021 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

mikewalsh wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:16 am

You having "issues" with k4.9.58? Or is this to do with your "blurry" images?

I've never had any trouble with k4.9.58, and it's seen service in several other Puppies, besides Xenialpup64. For me, it's as reliable as they come. Like Mike says, AFAIK there isn't a 64-bit version of k4.1.30 anywhere to be found; I suspect, personally, you've got a mis-match with your GPU and Mesa or OpenGL.

That's more likely to be the problem area, and unfortunately, it's less easy to fix.....

Mike. ;)

My issue with blurry images on chromium based browsers (only in chromium based, since palemoon works like a charm and, locally, images are displayed without blur in xenialpup64) has becomed so popular that "uncle" Mike suddenly (and rightly) thought it was the reason for my request. :P

Well. It should be matter of a dedicated thread. I checked Mesa version and openGL and it seems to me they are the same between xenialpup64 and xenialpup32. This was the reason I thought it was kernel fault. But I admit it was a thought not so wise. What I should do is trying to understand my issue with images showed blurry on chromium browsers on xenialpup64

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

<snip>...."uncle" Mike....</snip>

^^^Lololol..!!

No, like I've said before; you've proved yourself that the Chromium browsers give sharp images when run in other 64-bit Pups on the same machine, so.....I can ONLY assume there's a mis-match between Xenialpup64's display server stuff and your specific GPU, somewhere along the line.

I've got the same kind of issue myself in Quirky64 "April" 7.0.1 (jrb's lightweight 'spin' on it); certain apps won't fire up because, although the OpenGL/EGL/Mesa stuff is all present & correct, they're telling me none of it is actually enabled..! And I haven't been able to figure out how you fix this.....in my case, with an Nvidia card.

For me, the "workaround" involves using a 'chroot' Puppy - coincidentally, Xenialpup64! - although this has no issues with MY card.

(*shrug*)

(And ozsouth is spot on with his comment; I never considered the /lib64 business, and how IT would present problems.)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Dingo

Post by Dingo »

@ozsouth @mikewalsh
I burned a modified ISO with 4.4.70 kernel
Booted
Settled connection and... Images in chromium based browsers very sharp, as sharp as in Palemoon, no more issues unlike that what happened with 4.9.58 original xenialpup64 7.5 CE kernel.
I'm astonished! It was really a 4.9.58 kernel issue with my intel HD4600 graphic card?
There are some minor issues like pmcputemp not displayed in tray

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

The kernel does need to be configured for how it supports what hardware.
There are all kinds of settings that could be used.
This is part of compiling the kernel.
The Intel graphics hardware is constantly being updated for what support is in the kernel.
So, the newer the kernel the better for Intel graphics.
Kernel 5 series is better, if it was configured correctly, and supports all your hardware.

Most Puppy versions have the change_kernels program you run from a terminal.
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=317

The interface has changed a little with different versions.
But no matter what you think it says.
All you do is put the files from the new kernel, into the selection input slots, and it does all the needed name changes and replacement.
The firmware that is already in the Puppy version is already there to use by the kernel.
Do a reboot to now use the new kernel.

Most of the kernels used by Puppy versions are here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/huge_kernels/
Any can be used, but do use 32bit in 32bit Puppy OS and 64bit in 64bit OS.

Download the kernel tar.bz2 file
Uextract it to get the individual needed files.

What hardware you have, does affect what kernels, will work.
Older kernels, may not have support for, very new hardware,
and very new kernels, may not support, very old hardware.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@Dingo - you might like to try this cpu temp .pet : viewtopic.php?p=4697#p4697 (uninstall pmcputemp first).

Dingo

Post by Dingo »

ozsouth wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:39 pm

@Dingo - you might like to try this cpu temp .pet : viewtopic.php?p=4697#p4697 (uninstall pmcputemp first).

As far as I remember pmcputemp is a built-in application, so package manager cannot uninstall. Should I manually remove from bin directories and from tray?

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@Dingo - you could, but better to use Setup/Remove builtin packages, from Main menu.

Dingo

Post by Dingo »

ozsouth wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:05 am

@Dingo - you could, but better to use Setup/Remove builtin packages, from Main menu.

.thanks it worked without pains. I also tried one of oldest available kernel for xenialpup64 4.9.13 and with this too I was able to see sharp images into chromium based browsers. So, my only deduction has to be that tthere was something in 4.9.58 kernel wrong with my HD4600 Intel graphic card

Last edited by Dingo on Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Probably the i915 driver in the kernel.
That thing was constantly being worked on in the series 4 kernels.
Intel was all over the place with changes to that driver.

The version in the 5 series kernels is stable and bug fixed.
Until the next new Intel graphics hardware comes along and it needs updating in the kernel.
That is a constant issue with the very newest hardware.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Dingo

Post by Dingo »

bigpup wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:19 pm

Probably the i915 driver in the kernel.
That thing was constantly being worked on in the series 4 kernels.
Intel was all over the place with changes to that driver.

The version in the 5 series kernels is stable and bug fixed.
Until the next new Intel graphics hardware comes along and it needs updating in the kernel.
That is a constant issue with the very newest hardware.

My Lenovo L440 is a 2013 machine. So, do I must assume some regression bugs were introduced at some point in kernel development that were then fixed in 5.x line? For now I'm happy either with 4.4.70 kernel either with 4.9.13 kernel. I could try 5.x kernel in case of issues, even if I noted that, kernel 5.x series seem a bit too heavy for my i5 4200M dual core (with hyperthreading) machine.

After 10 years of puppy 3.01, I think I can now say I found my new home for coming years. With this issue solved, xenialpup64 (and 32 bit version with 4.1.30 kernel) fits perfectly to this notebook, no crashes until now while I experienced freezes with recent slackware based pups

Return to “Xenial”