Updating Google Chrome Bionicpup

Moderator: Forum moderators

nashtrik

Updating Google Chrome Bionicpup

Post by nashtrik »

Despite all efforts,I am unable to upgrade Google chrome 70.0.3538.77 (Official Build) (64-bit) to the latest version. I have downloaded .deb package , but it is asking for administrator password which I am unable to remember. How can I upgrade my Chrome to the latest version ?
Also, I don't remember setting up any administrator password during Bionicpup setup...I am not sure...

bigpup

Re: Updating Google Chrome Bionicpup

Post by bigpup »

user: root
password: woofwoof

But I am not sure if Chrome will see it as what it wants.
I am not sure if it sees root user as the administrator.
Puppy only has one user: root.

Maybe this build of Chrome will work better.
It is newer.
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=1341

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@nashtrik :-

Couple of options, really. Either Ozsouth's 'traditional'-type package build, which Bigpup linked to. Or, there's my Google_Chrome-portable build.....completely self-contained, running as user "spot" and, as the name implies, you can move it around to any location you want. You can even run it from a flash drive! :D

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=146

If you decide to give this a try, it's always a good idea to save your bookmarks to an HTML file before switching. The 'portable' doesn't use the 'standard' location for its profile, so it won't pick up & use your existing one.....on top of which, since your current version is nearly 20 'main' releases behind, the browser will bitch about using your existing profile anyway.

That request for your user password is because the .deb package, as is, expects to find itself on a 'mainstream', multi-user system.....complete with clearly-defined (and password-protected) 'user' directories under /home. Which is NOT the standard Puppy setup.

-------------------------------------

However; please remember one thing for future reference. The "HOW-TO" section is NOT for asking "How do I do such & such?" It's for members who wish to share something they've discovered, or a different way of doing something.....and want to let the rest of the community know about it. Okay? :)

EDIT:- It's not a good idea to install Chrome from the deb packages. It has a nasty habit of breaking certain permissions in Puppy.....most noticeable is sudden loss of the ability to print anything. And from late-60s Chrome onwards, the browser refuses to run as /root; if it cannot find a user directory under the /home directory, it won't even install. Puppies, generally speaking, don't use the /home directory, so it isn't present.

More recent Puppy packages of Chrome - in various different formats - are built to take this into account. Those of us who build the various Chromium-based browser packages DO go to a lot of trouble to ensure fuss-free operation for community members, believe it or not! :)

Mike. ;)

nashtrik

Post by nashtrik »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:24 pm

Couple of options, really. Either Ozsouth's 'traditional'-type package build, which Bigpup linked to. Or, there's my Google_Chrome-portable build.....

https://puppylinux.rockedge.org/viewtop ... f=90&t=146
Thanks a lot my friend...finally today I was able to upgrade chrome to the latest 90.something with the archive provided by you.
This is the fourth time I am typing this message,because when I logged in to forum on this browser, typed my message and clicked on 'submit' button, it came back to the login screen asking me to Login. I don't know why it is not staying logged in. I have typed this msg. on my mobile device.
Another thing I wanted to ask you is as to how can I create Desktop launcher Icon for this portable Chrome. I see an Icon PNG file in one of the extracted directories. Thanks

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Again, there's two ways you can do this.

EITHER:-

Drag the 'LAUNCH' or 'LAUNCH_NL' script onto the desktop ('LAUNCH_NL' is only for really new Puppies like Fossapup64). You can then edit the name shown under it (rt-clk->Edit Item). Then, copy the Chrome icon from the main 'chrome' directory over to /usr/share/pixmaps. Once it's there, rt-clk again on the desktop launcher->File (whatever you've named it to)->Set Icon. A small box appears; if you then drag the Chrome icon FROM /usr/share/pixmaps into this small box and drop it, it'll set the icon for the desktop launcher.

OR:-

Install the attached .pet. This gives you a Menu entry for Chrome under Menu->Internet. After installing, go into /root/my-applications/bin, locate the 'Chrome' script, open it up with Geany or your favourite text editor and edit the 'Exec' line to point to the exact location of your Chrome-portable's 'LAUNCH' script (default is /mnt/home.....inside Puppy, but outside the 'save'). Save & exit.

If you then go into /usr/share/applications, find the Chrome.desktop entry and drag it onto the desktop.....there's your launcher.

Hope that helps.

Mike. ;)

Attachments
Chrome_portable-MenuEntry.pet
Menu entry .pet for Google_Chrome-portable...
(15 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

Return to “Browsers”