Un-Googled Chromium 'portable' - now at v112.0.5615.169 (includes manual updater from Fred...)

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Re: Un-Googled Chromium - 'portable' build for Fossapup64 (glibc 2.28 min)

Post by mikewalsh »

Now then, gang...

Following some of the advice from this thread of peebee's:-

viewtopic.php?f=90&p=18951#p18951

.....where he quotes from Alien Bob's blog, I've figured out the easiest way to at least get your "must-have" extensions into Ungoogled Chromium.

----------------------------------------------

First, download the .crx file from below (remove the fake ".gz" after you've d/l'ed it). It couldn't get much newer, since this was updated less than 10 days ago. To install it, follow these instructions:-

• In Ungoogled Chromium, open a new tab & enter

Code: Select all

chrome://extensions

.....and hit Enter. You'll be presented with a blank page (naturally). Top right, temporarily toggle the 'Developer Mode' button to the 'On' position.

• Open A ROX window at the location of the CRX file. Drag the "Get Crx" extension on to the Extensions page, and drop it; you'll be asked if you want to install it. Allow it to do so, since this extension makes everything else possible.

• Now, go to

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions

.....and browse the Web Store to find the extensions you want. When you find them, go to the extension's Store page; right-click, and from the context menu select "Get CRX of this extension". The browser will download it for you.

• To install your extensions, it's basically rinse & repeat; as above, drag the CRX files onto the Extensions page, followed by allowing the installation to proceed. (You can also use the same procedure if you have a favourite theme you like to use.)

• When you've finished, toggle the 'Developer Mode' button back to the 'Off' position; it only needs to be 'On' for installation.

Result? Your favourite extensions, without involving Google in the process (aside from having to visit the WebStore to find the things).....and still no connections to Google's 'nosy' stuff. I know it's a bit long-winded.....but it only needs doing once.

Hope that helps some of you. :D

Mike. ;)

Attachments
Get CRX 1.40.0.0.crx.gz
"Get CRX" .crx file (remove fake '.gz' first)
(9.56 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Last edited by mikewalsh on Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Very nice! That worked. I like to add Dark Reader and the Power Saver theme. So far the most aesthetically pleasing browser I have is Libre Wolf with Dark Reader and the Black Code theme. I haven't been able to download anything with Un-googled Chromium though. I don't know how to set up spot correctly for it. Can I download using developer mode with the getcrx extension installed?

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

geo_c

Re: For clarity, permission changer? Solved a bit.

Post by geo_c »

This getcrx extension worked great in Fossapup Jackal remaster. But I noticed that I now have a permission changer (root to spot, spot to root) option in my sys tray. I don't remember if it was always in Jackal Remaster, or if I installed it :P When I use the getcrx on regular Fossapup and try to download an extension from the webstore, I'm getting permission denied on the download, even in spot. So I'm not sure what the difference is. The getcrx is installed, the versions are the same (and not running off the same portable directory, I'm using seperate copies) so I'm confused. It's not critical at the moment, since I have many browsers, but you know, I'm always trying to learn something new.

Since I had the extensions crx files downloaded on Jackal, I just copied them in to the google extensions on Fossa, and so I have them installed. I guess what I'm saying is in Jackal I seemed to have download permissions granted, while in Fossa chromium does not have that permission even in /spot/downloads.

Now I'm a little curious about just running chromium from the same directory on both fossa installs. It should work, right? (I tried and yes it does work of course!)

thanks as always
you guys are amazing.

~geo

geo_c

wiak

Post by wiak »

In my WDL_Arch64 system I'm currently running Chromium:

Version 89.0.4389.90 (Official Build) Arch Linux (64-bit)

Up to version 88.xxx Chromium supported Chrome sync and some other now Chrome-only stuff.

Arch Linux wiki explain how to re-enable sync in this latest version:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/chromium

using, I think: https://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/api-keys

However, they advice moving to open source xbrowsersync for bookmark syncing between browsers from now on:

https://xbrowsersync.org/

I notice that peebee also mentions xbrowsersync here: viewtopic.php?p=18941#p18941

wiak

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Right, kiddiwinks.

Here, for your delectation, is the current 'portable' release of UnGoogled-Chromium.....v89.0.4389.90.

Now; I could apologise for the humungous size of this version, but.....I'm not going to. You wanna know why? Because, mes amis, this one has been compiled with all the VAAPI hardware acceleration stuff built-in.....the very stuff that I reported on a few years ago.....that Google couldn't be arsed to provide in Chrome itself. "Too much hard work; too many different versions to cover." Yeah, RIGHT. So how come somebody else can go to all that trouble.....and you lazy buggers CAN'T? :roll:

I tracked this down at woolyss.com.....the semi-official "home" of ready-to-go Chromium builds. Don't know why I never thought of this before. A guy by the handle of "Marmaduke" is providing ready-to-go, self-contained portable Linux builds of UnGoogled Chromium (even has WideVine built-in by default, so no need to "borrow" it from Chrome); this, of course, means there's even less work involved in 'converting' them to the Puppy-portable format. A good find, I think..!

Anyways; the new 'portable' is now available from the usual location in post #1. Posting from it now.

Enjoy..! :D

Mike. ;)

Last edited by mikewalsh on Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

Re: Un-Googled Chromium v89 Not Just for glibc 2.28 and above

Post by mikeslr »

Hi Mike,

So I downloaded and unpacked your portable. But I'm running Bionicpup64 which, according to pupsys-info, is using " Glibc: 2.27". I figure "What the hell. ;) Right-Clicking 'LAUNCH' and selecting 'Run in Terminal' will only take a moment".

The terminal response was:
"[23910:23910:0319/191931.895802:ERROR:message_box_dialog.cc(143)] Unable to show a dialog outside the UI thread message loop: Failed To Create Data Directory - Chromium cannot read and write to its data directory:

/initrd/mnt/dev_save/Pup-Apps/Ungoogled_Chromium-portable/chromium/PROFILE
[23985:23985:0319/191933.468295:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(374)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.
[23910:24030:0319/192000.783942:ERROR:ev_root_ca_metadata.cc(841)] Failed to register OID: 0"

But the UG-C opened and I'm posting from it now. :lol:
What all the above complaints means in practical terms and how much older the glibc can be are yet to be determined.

But, thanks, Mike. :thumbup: And pass my appreciation on to Marmaduke if you can.

p.s. Just noticed the curious 'boxes' in the quoted terminal output which, AFAICT, were added by the Forum's software. :?

p.p.s. I closed UG-C via Menu>Exit as I wanted to see what the terminal had to say about closing. I didn't have anything unusual to say. Looked in UG-C's "chromium" folder. There's a big red=broken symbolic link to /opt/Ungoogled_Chromium-portable/chromium/PROFILE which makes sense as the portable isn't in /opt. But it shouldn't be there at all. :(

p.p.p.s. Simple fix. Deleted the link. Restarted UG-C and a proper PROFILE folder was created.

mikewalsh

Re: Un-Googled Chromium v89 - 'portable' build for Fossapup64 (glibc 2.28 min)

Post by mikewalsh »

@mikeslr :-

Damn. Done it again..! (Good catch, BTW.) :oops:

Repacked/re-uploaded to the Drive.

(Marmaduke must have compiled this against an older glibc. Just curious; will it run under Xenialpup64 7.5?)

EDIT:- Ooh, nice one. This will run under Fossapup64 9.5 (glibc 2.31), Bionicpup64 8.0 (2.27), Xenialpup64 7.5 (2.23).....and even jrb's Quirky64 "April" 7.0.1 (2.20) - Tahrpup-era! Posting from it now in the latter......and I haven't needed to use the 64-bit Xenial chroot, 'cos it's running natively! How's about that..? :thumbup:

Mike. ;)

Last edited by mikewalsh on Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Marv

Re: Un-Googled Chromium v89 - 'portable' build for 64-bit Pups

Post by Marv »

Also running in LxPupSc64 (slackware deriv) with, as expected, the following libs added to the chromium directory:

libatk-bridge-2.0.so -> libatk-bridge-2.0.so.0
libatk-bridge-2.0.so.0 -> libatk-bridge-2.0.so.0.0.0
libatk-bridge-2.0.so.0.0.0
libatspi.so -> libatspi.so.0
libatspi.so.0 -> libatspi.so.0.0.1
libatspi.so.0.0.1
libgdk-3.so -> libgdk-3.so.0.2404.7
libgdk-3.so.0 -> libgdk-3.so.0.2404.7
libgdk-3.so.0.2404.7
libgtk-3.so -> libgtk-3.so.0.2404.7
libgtk-3.so.0 -> libgtk-3.so.0.2404.7
libgtk-3.so.0.2404.7
libxkbcommon.so.0 -> libxkbcommon.so.0.0.0
libxkbcommon.so.0.0.0

and this line added to the LAUNCH script (wasn't needed in the 87 version):

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HERE/chromium:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

As with the previous ungoogled, I'm running it as spot with a common profile for all pups. The only nag run from terminal in that mode pertains to 'multiple sandboxes' . Pretty darn clean for chromium & spot. Posting from it in an LxPupSc64 20.06 +2 install with the 5.11.6 kernel now.
Also running fine in my very minimal 'Fossapup64 sans adrv with ydrv' built from the main Fossapup64 SFS only to run with no save file or folder.

Thanks,

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

s243a

Post by s243a »

There is a 32bit version of Un-Googled Chromium that works on upuphh+d (aka HirsutePup32).

The package can be downloaded at:
chromium-ungoogled-89.0.4389.114-i586-1alien.txz (Click on it to install)

The SlackBuild used to create it can be found at:
https://slackware.nl/people/alien/slack ... led/build/

I discovered this from the following post by @peebee:

How to ‘un-google’ your Chromium browser experience by alienbob ... Aka the future of Chromium based (embedded) brows

wiak

Post by wiak »

s243a wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:21 am

There is a 32bit version of Un-Googled Chromium that works on upuphh+d (aka HirsutePup32).

The package can be downloaded at:
chromium-ungoogled-89.0.4389.114-i586-1alien.txz (Click on it to install)

The SlackBuild used to create it can be found at:
https://slackware.nl/people/alien/slack ... led/build/

I discovered this from the following post by @peebee:

How to ‘un-google’ your Chromium browser experience by alienbob ... Aka the future of Chromium based (embedded) brows

Em... My 'understanding' is that you are not allowed to use this package:

quote from alienbob per page: https://alien.slackbook.org/blog/how-to ... xperience/

I want to state here that from now on, I also explicitly forbid others / distros to re-use and re-package my binaries in order to make them part of their own Linux Distribution: thinking of Slacko Puppy, Porteus, Slint and others. If needed I will use “cease & desist” messages if people refuse to comply. I am not going to pay Google for the use of my binaries in distros that I do not control. The use of my API key is automatic if you run my Chromium binaries, and it involves a monthly cost if Google’s Could APIs get called too much. I already had to negotiate several times with the Chromium people to avoid getting billed when their policies changed. So get your own API key and compile your own version of the browser please.

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

peebee

Post by peebee »

That applies to AlienBob's chromium package and is why he has produced the new ungoogled-chromium package.
He has now removed the problematic keys from the chromium package.....
If you download and use just personally this does not constitute "make them part of their own Linux Distribution" as you are not "distributing".

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

wiak

Post by wiak »

peebee wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:07 am

That applies to AlienBob's chromium package and is why he has produced the new ungoogled-chromium package.
He has now removed the problematic keys from the chromium package.....
If you download and use just personally this does not constitute "make them part of their own Linux Distribution" as you are not "distributing".

I see, that's good to hear. Wondered how the package could be considered opensource if such restrictions put on it, though I understood the point alienbob was making about key use charges. The main thing in opensource is to remember to always give credit to the author of any code or cherry-picked code, which may sometimes be forgotten about, but certainly not in this case.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

Hmmm... I'm sure you are correct peebee since you are likely to know. Could you kindly point me to the alienbob comment that shows his builds can now be used in other distros. I use Chromium in WDL_Arch64, the Arch version, but it looked like they'd take that out of their repo at one stage so like having alternatives. Last thing I've managed to find from alienbob comments was the comments footer of same article in which he said not to use unless on Slackware proper. I noted you corresponding with him in that comments section but I didn't follow what he said in terms of ok now. As I say, last thing I read was (what is partly also about the pain of people not giving due credit/acknowledgements):

alienbob
March 5, 2021 at 11:00
Hi Didier,

My comment about how 3rd parties use or re-use my binaries is born out of a long-standing frustration. I have no issue at all with people using my sources and scripts as long as attribution is given to the original author (mostly that’ll be me), since it involves no more than leaving my original copyright lines un-touched in the scripts.
I feel different about people taking my *binaries* and offering them to their own users without giving proper credit to the person who did all the hard work of debugging the code and compiling the binaries (that would then also be me). It happened more in the past, and I have been very explicit in how I view this behavior.
However, users of Chromium on Slint do contribute to the usage of my personal Google API key and therefore potentially push that usage beyond the cost-free upper boundary. And Slint is not Slackware, and I am only prepared to pay for people who actually use Slackware.

I'm gathering from your comment that alienbob is producing a chrome binary with google API keys for Slackware users but no such keys in ungoogled-chrome or somesuch? Just wondered where that is declared - since I'm not a sole user but in a might put in published distro situation. I'm very okay with the current Arch chromium for WDL_Arch64 but WeeDogLinux is also multi distro, not just Arch.

@peebee

alienbob
March 4, 2021 at 19:07
Hi peebee
To your defense, it is not widely known how Chromium based browsers and Google’s API services interact, less so even that using the browser costs its packager money even though the browser is free to download and use. But in future (after 15 March in any case) please stop re-packaging my binaries, or at least make it very clear where they come from – and accompany that with a link to my Paypal account.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Now then, gang.

"Marmaduke" has just recently produced his VAAPI-enabled build of the current release,

v89.0.4389.114

.....so here's the 'portable' build for y'all to enjoy.

'Twill be found at the usual location in post #1, Those of you who want the "cache-delete" stuff active, just uncomment the final couple of lines in the appropriate wrapper-script in the main directory.

Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

s243a

Post by s243a »

wiak wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:48 am

Hmmm... I'm sure you are correct peebee since you are likely to know. Could you kindly point me to the alienbob comment that shows his builds can now be used in other distros. I use Chromium in WDL_Arch64, the Arch version, but it looked like they'd take that out of their repo at one stage so like having alternatives. Last thing I've managed to find from alienbob comments was the comments footer of same article in which he said not to use unless on Slackware proper. I noted you corresponding with him in that comments section but I didn't follow what he said in terms of ok now. As I say, last thing I read was (what is partly also about the pain of people not giving due credit/acknowledgements):

alienbob
March 5, 2021 at 11:00
Hi Didier,

My comment about how 3rd parties use or re-use my binaries is born out of a long-standing frustration. I have no issue at all with people using my sources and scripts as long as attribution is given to the original author (mostly that’ll be me), since it involves no more than leaving my original copyright lines un-touched in the scripts.
I feel different about people taking my *binaries* and offering them to their own users without giving proper credit to the person who did all the hard work of debugging the code and compiling the binaries (that would then also be me). It happened more in the past, and I have been very explicit in how I view this behavior.
However, users of Chromium on Slint do contribute to the usage of my personal Google API key and therefore potentially push that usage beyond the cost-free upper boundary. And Slint is not Slackware, and I am only prepared to pay for people who actually use Slackware.

I'm gathering from your comment that alienbob is producing a chrome binary with google API keys for Slackware users but no such keys in ungoogled-chrome or somesuch? Just wondered where that is declared - since I'm not a sole user but in a might put in published distro situation. I'm very okay with the current Arch chromium for WDL_Arch64 but WeeDogLinux is also multi distro, not just Arch.

@peebee

alienbob
March 4, 2021 at 19:07
Hi peebee
To your defense, it is not widely known how Chromium based browsers and Google’s API services interact, less so even that using the browser costs its packager money even though the browser is free to download and use. But in future (after 15 March in any case) please stop re-packaging my binaries, or at least make it very clear where they come from – and accompany that with a link to my Paypal account.

I think it's implied that the "expressly forbid" is related to the binaries that contain the API key and not all binaries in general. That said, based on alienbob's comments, he seems to prefer that people would use his work with official Slackwear and is not too fond of the practice of other users using his work outside of slackware, except perhaps when proper attribution is provided and maybe some compensation for resources used. Despite this though, alienbob seems to have implectly granted peebee permission to use the ungoogled version of chromium at least for the time being:

Hi peebee,

My chromium package updates will probably stop once I am satisfied with chromium-ungoogled and a sync setup that works decently: since building a single package takes half a day on my infrastructure, I need to be conservative with the number of package variants I provide.
So it’s a good idea to use 15 March as a cut-over date to stop offering squashfs modules containing chromium and instead switch to chromium-ungoogled.
I won’t run any risk of being billed by Google for the un-googled product.

https://alien.slackbook.org/blog/how-to ... ment-40053

The permission implicitly granted to @peebee might require the startup message that peebee suggested here:

Hi Eric
Would these startup messages be acceptable?

Would it be preferrable to you that only the chromium-ungoogled build was repackaged?
Thanks
peebee

https://alien.slackbook.org/blog/how-to ... ment-40048

however, alienbob didn't specificaly state if this start-up message is required and I can't find any licence information in either the build directories or the binary directories that alienbob made except what would be included in the official chromium source. I'm also not sure if the premission extends to other people besides @peebee.

mikewalsh

Re: Un-Googled Chromium v90 - 'portable' build for 64-bit Pups

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, all.

'Marmaduke' has now produced a new version of UnGoogled Chromium, so the Puppy 'portable' has just been updated to v90.0.4430.85.....complete with full VAAPI hardware acceleration (if your GPU supports it), along with Widevine and all codecs.

You can find it at the usual location in post #1.

Remember; to activate the 'cache-delete' stuff, just uncomment the last two lines in the appropriate wrapper-script in the main directory.

Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

Marv

Post by Marv »

Thanks again Mike,

v90 up and running well called from both my ydrived non-savefile minimized fossapup64 and from LxPupSc64 21.04 +2 (with the same libs added as in v89, discussed above). I haven't looked at the acceleration yet, all my hardware is 2nd generation i5 circa 2012 so I expect not much change but what works, works :D

Cheers,

Edit: Left out the current SCPup64. Fine there too.

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Morning, all.

Here's "Marmaduke's" most recent offering, packaged as a Puppy-portable - v90.0.4430.93

Full VAAPI hardware acceleration, along with up-to-date Widevine and all media codecs. Includes a wee 'explainer' for use of the 'LAUNCH' scripts; if you haven't used these 'portable' builds before, please take the time to read this.

Able to run in most 64-bit Pups. Use the appropriate 'launcher' for your Puppy. Available from the link in post #1.

Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

The most recent offering from "Marmaduke" is the very last of the 90-series, v90.0.4430.212, so here's the 'portable' version. This is just ONE release behind current Chrome.

I've incorporated the same modification that I've been making to the other 'clones' recently. Instead of the 'PROFILE' directory being created inside the main 'chromium' directory, it's now created beside the 'LAUNCH' scripts, one level up. At launch, the 'PROFILE' is sym-linked into the main directory prior to giving the entire thing "spot:spot" ownership. At shut-down, the sym-link is removed.

This is simply to make it easier for anyone who wishes to use an existing 'PROFILE'; it's just more convenient, that's all.

There's also a "ReadMe". This explains WHICH of the launchers to use.....and when.

----------------------------------------------

As always, you can find the newest version at the link in post #1. Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

Last edited by mikewalsh on Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikewalsh

Re: Un-Googled Chromium 'portable - now at v91.0.4472.101

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, gang.

Now then; update for y'all.

"Marmaduke's" most recent release of Ungoogled Chromium is now up to v91.0.4472.101.....just 1 behind Chrome. So here's the Puppy 'portable' version.

All the VAAPI hardware acceleration goodness is still there, so those of you with discrete cards should get the full benefits. WideVine is still included as standard, too, so NetFlix, Hulu, Spotify, etc, are all "on the menu".

Remember; you can drop your existing 'PROFILE' in beside the 'LAUNCH' scripts, and the browser will pick it up & use it. And if you want to use Marv's 'fix' for deleting the cache at shutdown, just uncomment the final line in the wrapper itself.

The "ReadMe" will explain which launcher is appropriate for your Puppy.

-----------------------------------

As always, you can find it at the usual link in post #1. Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

wizard

Post by wizard »

Hi Mike,

Portable 91 fails in bionic64 8.0
computer:
cpu - intel dual core e8300
ram - 4gb
hd - fresh frugal install, updated on ext3 partition

Running LAUNCH from terminal gives the following:

[6728:6728:0702/152709.629809:ERROR:process_singleton_posix.cc(281)] Failed to create /mnt/sda1/Ungoogled_Chromium-portable/PROFILE/SingletonLock: Permission denied (13)
[6728:6728:0702/152709.653006:ERROR:chrome_browser_main.cc(1278)] Failed to create a ProcessSingleton for your profile directory. This means that running multiple instances would start multiple browser processes rather than opening a new window in the existing process. Aborting now to avoid profile corruption.
[6728:6757:0702/152710.041237:ERROR:disk_cache.cc(184)] Unable to create cache
[6728:6757:0702/152710.041487:ERROR:shader_disk_cache.cc(606)] Shader Cache Creation failed: -2

I've also tried chromium-browser_73.0.3683.86-x86_64.pet from the ppm and it fails too, seems like its allergic to chrome. PM and FF are running fine.

thanks
wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@wizard :-

Have a look inside the chromium directory, mate. Have I left a broken sym-link behind? It wouldn't be the first time...

I'm currently in Ungoogled_Chromium in Bionicpup64 myself; I'm posting from it now.

See, I keep ALL my portable internet stuff - browsers, Skype, Zoom, Discord, etc - in their own dedicated directory on an auto-mounted partition. In another directory on that same partition, I keep every single one of their profiles, each linked to its respective 'parent' by an absolute sym-link.

At upgrade time, I copy the item in question across to my "work-area", and, because these are absolute sym-links (i.e, full $PATH), they always point to the profiles. It lets me test out new versions with my usual settings & extensions. When I'm happy with it, I copy the updated version back over to the main portables directory, replacing the previous one as I do. I then package the one left in the "work-area", prior to uploading it ready for public consumption.

I'm ashamed to admit that I don't always remember to remove the sym-linked profile from inside it before packaging.... :oops:

This often gives people 'issues' with these items when they try to run them as normal.

Mike. ;)

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mikewalsh

Nope, don't see any broken links in chromium inside the package.

wizard

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@wizard :-

O-kay. Upon examination, I appear to have made a slight cock-up with editing one of the launch scripts, so I've corrected this and re-uploaded it.

Which 'LAUNCH' script are you trying to use, BTW?

Mike. ;)

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mikewalsh

Just using LAUNCH to start.

Got the first one to open, don't know what changed, but here is the terminal output:

root# ./LAUNCH
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/initrd/mnt/dev_save/Ungoogled_Chromium-portable/chromium/PROFILE/PROFILE': File exists
[10084:10084:0704/110918.360170:ERROR:angle_platform_impl.cc(44)] renderergl_utils.cpp:477 (GenerateTextureFormatCaps): glGetInternalformativ generated error 0x00000500 for format 0x0000906F. Skipping multisample checks.
[10084:10084:0704/110918.361013:ERROR:angle_platform_impl.cc(44)] Display.cpp:840 (initialize): ANGLE Display::initialize error 12289: OpenGL ES 2.0 is not supportable.
[10084:10084:0704/110918.364190:ERROR:gl_surface_egl.cc(780)] EGL Driver message (Critical) eglInitialize: OpenGL ES 2.0 is not supportable.
[10084:10084:0704/110918.364294:ERROR:gl_surface_egl.cc(1373)] eglInitialize OpenGL failed with error EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED, trying next display type
[10084:10084:0704/110918.373932:ERROR:angle_platform_impl.cc(44)] Display.cpp:840 (initialize): ANGLE Display::initialize error 12289: Intel or NVIDIA OpenGL ES drivers are not supported.
[10084:10084:0704/110918.374054:ERROR:gl_surface_egl.cc(780)] EGL Driver message (Critical) eglInitialize: Intel or NVIDIA OpenGL ES drivers are not supported.
[10084:10084:0704/110918.374270:ERROR:gl_surface_egl.cc(1373)] eglInitialize OpenGLES failed with error EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED
[10084:10084:0704/110918.374328:ERROR:gl_initializer_linux_x11.cc(178)] GLSurfaceEGL::InitializeOneOff failed.
[10084:10084:0704/110918.376522:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(160)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[10129:10129:0704/110918.425342:ERROR:gpu_init.cc(440)] Passthrough is not supported, GL is swiftshader
[10052:10067:0704/110918.554701:ERROR:ev_root_ca_metadata.cc(841)] Failed to register OID: 0

The new one did not open, here is the terminal output:

oot# ./LAUNCH
[9944:9960:0704/110657.503224:ERROR:disk_cache.cc(184)] Unable to create cache
[9944:9960:0704/110657.503300:ERROR:shader_disk_cache.cc(606)] Shader Cache Creation failed: -2
[9944:9944:0704/110657.543398:ERROR:process_singleton_posix.cc(281)] Failed to create /initrd/mnt/dev_save/Ungoogled_Chromium-portable/PROFILE/SingletonLock: Permission denied (13)
[9944:9944:0704/110657.543972:ERROR:chrome_browser_main.cc(1278)] Failed to create a ProcessSingleton for your profile directory. This means that running multiple instances would start multiple browser processes rather than opening a new window in the existing process. Aborting now to avoid profile corruption.

thanks

wizard

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, gang.

Right. Now then; here's 'Marmaduke's' current Ungoogled Chromium offering, and.....we're bang up to date with this one. Released barely 5 days ago, so here's the Puppy 'portable' version of Ungoogled_Chromium v92.0.4515.131.

UgC now has the scripts onboard that let you add a MenuEntry to run your portable from wherever you've located it. The "MenuReadMe" explains how it all works, if required. You don't have to do this if you don't want; you can still fire-up using the 'LAUNCH' scripts as normal. It's just another option.

-------------------------------------------------

Available, as always. from the link in post #1. D/l; unzip; move it wherever you like, but preferably outside the 'save'. Click to enter, then fire it up with the 'LAUNCH' scripts. Or add a menu entry. Whatever takes your fancy.

Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

geo_c

v92.0.4515.131 Not firing up!

Post by geo_c »

@mikewalsh

This one isn't launching for me. Although it seems to be the usual unpack and start LAUNCH_NL, for some reason this one doesn't go, chrome shows up in concky briefly then.......nothing.

Not a big deal, since I wasn't wishing from the bottom of my heart to have another update, but I downloaded it just for kicks, and you know, they'll put out 5 more by the end of summer I'm sure.

Anyway, just thought I should pass the feedback along.

However, while I'm typing this I'm also pondering. Do some of these portables like Slimjet for instance, leave config files and such that are left in the filesystem after shutdown, or perhaps while they're running, that might possibly conflict with other Chrome clones?

Thanks, and I've been playing around a lot with Slimjet, it has some really nice options, like hiding the close button on the tabs. Locating the toolbar items on the right or left of the address bar, among many other things.

@geo_c

geo_c

Marv

Re: Un-Googled Chromium 'portable - now at v92.0.4515.131

Post by Marv »

Same here. First one in awhile that doesn't launch for me, either in fossapup64 or in LxPupSc64 (libs checked and added if needed). I consistently get

# ./LAUNCH
/mnt/sda2/ungoogled_chromium/Ungoogled_Chromium-portable_v92_stock/chromium/chromium-pup: line 9: 13849 Trace/breakpoint trap   run-as-spot "$HERE/chrome" --user-data-dir=$HERE/PROFILE --disable-infobars "$@"

both in the stock download and in a modified launch version to use my common spot location for its' profile. Other than crosschecking libraries and fiddling a bit with kernels I haven't gone any further, pretty limited in computer time right now. Still using Version 91.0.4472.101 of un-googled regularly with zero problems in all of the 64b pups in my kennel.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@geo_c , @Marv :-

Weird. It runs as right as rain for me, here in Bionicpup64.....though I am noticing a certain degree of "sluggishness" that wasn't present before.

I'm off up the "wooden hill" (it's way past beddy-byes for me!), but I'll check the uploaded tarball tomorrow. I may have made a cock-up there.....wouldn't be the first time!

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Well, I can't find anything wrong, guys.....either with the package, or the upload. Not this time.

I'm posting this from Ungoogled Chromium in Fossapup64 right now, and it's not giving me any issues....yet. I'm at a loss to know what to suggest....

Mike. :?

Return to “Browsers and Internet”