Bullseye build script

a very small Live CD shaped to look and act like Puppy Linux.

Moderator: fredx181

Duprate

Re: Bullseye build script

Post by Duprate »

Ok, Fred! To improve stability ... If it's for the good of the system .... Thanks, have a nice day! :thumbup2:

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Duprate wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:44 pm

Ok, Fred! To improve stability ... If it's for the good of the system

The initrd's in older Dog ISOs had significant problems with "modern" hardware like USB3 or eMMC - the initrd would fail to detect the hardware, so the machine wouldn't boot. Depending on how the initrd was built, it might boot off one device but not the other.

The latest versions are now fully compatible with all my hardware.

Kennel Dweller

Post by Kennel Dweller »

Used it and broke it several times now, Full install keeps prompting to upgrade on apt update, big mistake to do it, overwrites too many things.
I use the xfce desktop and get an annoying warning in a big dialog box when copy and pasting commands, hate it.
Fred's xsetoff command keeps getting ignored, need a fix for that?
Check out "xserver-xorg-input-libinput" it replaces the separate -evdev and -synaptics drivers and sees my disabled anir joystick mouse, I have used it in the build scripts with no ill effects.
I tried a current ubuntu install yesterday, good heavens it's awful, lasted less than an hour before wiping it off and putting busterdog back on.

Lovely work, coming along well. Good luck keep up the good work and stay safe.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Kennel Dweller wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:19 am

I use the xfce desktop and get an annoying warning in a big dialog box when copy and pasting commands, hate it.
Check out "xserver-xorg-input-libinput" it replaces the separate -evdev and -synaptics drivers and sees my disabled anir joystick mouse, I have used it in the build scripts with no ill effects.

The Starter Kits have always used pcmanfm, openbox and libinput. That has been the best combination for me.

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kennel Dweller

Post by Kennel Dweller »

Don't get me wrong, I am not criticizing, I am sure these things are done for very good reasons.
I saw some comments and thought I might make my suggestions, I am quite happy pulling things to pieces and breaking them.
I would prefer to have a really cut down, very basic system and install what I want rather than delete what I don't want which is usually the case.
We are all different and have different requirements, I don't need multimedia or wifi but i think one or two people might ask for it if it was taken away.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Used it and broke it several times now, Full install keeps prompting to upgrade on apt update, big mistake to do it, overwrites too many things.

Can you explain further, you did a full install from a XFCE build ? And what happened then ?

Yes. annoying, it's the xfce4-terminal, maybe there's a setting to disable that warning, or install a different terminal.

Probably XFCE has it's own setting for that.

As you say it's a matter of taste / preference, some like XFCE very much, me too in the past, but not so much anymore now.

Fred

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

fredx181 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:53 pm

As you say it's a matter of taste / preference, some like XFCE very much ....

Personally, I could never see the appeal of XFCE. It has prettier menus, but who spends that much time admiring their menus?

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

It seems to me, you get a lot of the benefit if the XFCE menus just by installing and using the XFCE appfinder application.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

rcrsn51 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:42 pm
dancytron wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:14 pm

but not when I try to open a file directly from pcmanfm. It show bluealsa as a choice when I open vlc 1st, but not when I try to open the file via pcmanfm.

This works OK for me. In VLC, I open Audio > Audio Device. It has "Default" selected at the end of the list. So when I run a file from pcmanfm, it automatically plays to BT.

Sigh.

It works for me now too. I can't reproduce what it was doing before.

It seems like some sound things take a while to "stick"...

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. As much as people love to hate pulseaudio, I suspect that its purpose is to provide a better framework for audio than dealing directly with ALSA.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

rcrsn51 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:07 pm

Excellent. As much as people love to hate pulseaudio, I suspect that its purpose is to provide a better framework for audio than dealing directly with ALSA.

When you read the explanation on the Raspberry Pi site why they recently switched to Pulseaudio, that makes a lot of sense, especially for switching back and forth. https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/new-ra ... mber-2020/

Kennel Dweller

Post by Kennel Dweller »

Can you explain further, you did a full install from a XFCE build ? And what happened then ?

Ha on which occasion? Any breakages are my own fault Fred half the time I do it deliberately by uninstalling something I shouldn't or installing something I don't want and while removing I remove too much lol.

Yes. annoying, it's the xfce4-terminal, maybe there's a setting to disable that warning, or install a different terminal.

As I have said before, my hands are riddled with arthritis and the ability to copy and paste commands is a big boon to me, that's the only reason I use the xfce terminal. And the fact it's already there.

Probably XFCE has it's own setting for that.

Maybe there is somewhere, it only breaks after upgrade, works fine until then.

As you say it's a matter of taste / preference, some like XFCE very much, me too in the past, but not so much anymore now.

I am going off of it too, I have always swapped between xfce and lx, not a fan of either now but I know my way around them.

Fred

Kennel Dweller

Post by Kennel Dweller »

rcrsn51 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:39 pm

As you say it's a matter of taste / preference, some like XFCE very much ....

Personally, I could never see the appeal of XFCE. It has prettier menus, but who spends that much time admiring their menus?

It suits me just fine, I don't care for the pretty but I know my way around creating launchers in the panel for the scripts and apps I use.
I was using lxpanel at one time as they had a little utility to copy it and transfer from one to another install I think it was called xpanel-switch or something like that, but that got changed with a new edition and no longer worked for me.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

*** Updated mklive-bullseye ***

New attached mklive-bullseye script at first post and appimages updated, download here: https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/Re ... yedog.html

Changes:

- Added options: "Keep locale files (and configure)" and "Keep man and doc files"
Variables in config files are KEEPLOCALES= and KEEPMANDOC= (set to TRUE or FALSE)
EDIT: Unchecked or KEEPLOCALES=FALSE the language will be default English

Configure locale(s) (I chose NL) (more than one can be generated, recommended to choose UTF-8)):
(press SPACE to select)
Set default locale:

It can be configured again later too (when running the system) e.g. to set the default with:

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure locales

Note that it will not be perfect, most programs from official Debian repos are translated, but NOT the programs from the custom 'dog' repository, so it will probably become a mix of the chosen locale and english.
Also note that the size of the ISO will be increased when keeping locale and/or man/doc files.
EDIT: Forgot to mention that some programs have their own language pack, an example is firefox-esr, install for your language the package: firefox-esr-l10n-* (e.g "firefox-esr-l10n-fr" for french)

Fred

Kennel Dweller

Post by Kennel Dweller »

Thanks for the update Fred I'll be trying it tomorrow

Kennel Dweller

Post by Kennel Dweller »

It may be something or nothing, it didn't stop the build but I never noticed it before.

Screenshot_2021-02-14_12-55-36.png
Screenshot_2021-02-14_12-55-36.png (392.02 KiB) Viewed 922 times
Kennel Dweller

Post by Kennel Dweller »

Hmm I wonder if it's my fault? Although it has built it has done so with no grldr so will not boot.
Back to the drawing board for another try.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Kennel Dweller wrote:

It may be something or nothing, it didn't stop the build but I never noticed it before.

Probably the warnings were there before too, if you add package firmware-misc-nonfree to the packages list, then you won't see the warnings.
(to be honest,I always ignore the warnings and never investigated if there's any advantage by installing firmware-misc-nonfree).

Hmm I wonder if it's my fault? Although it has built it has done so with no grldr so will not boot

How you did boot earlier build then?
Earlier build script versions didn't include grldr either, only changes in last update are the addition of options keep/configure locale and keep man/doc files.

Fred

Kennel Dweller

Post by Kennel Dweller »

Yep It was me being senile again.
I hadn't run gparted and it was picking up the mbr from previous full install.
Sorry for the confusion, all working well at the moment, till I break it again.

tosim

Post by tosim »

Any chance of someday getting an iso of this-to make a frugal install?

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Ran the new mklive-bullseye script this evening. Created a new Bullseye ObDog with following changes:
Removed JWM-setup
Removed xlunch
Added audacious
Added bluetooth (bluetooth, bluez, blueman, bt4stretch)

Build went very smoothly. All tested so far working well. Connected to bluetooth earphones, could easily swap between bluetooth and internal speakers using bt4stretch. I have also transferred files to and from mobile phone. Fantastic work! :thumbup2:

So thanks @fredx181 for your continued development on the DebianDog projects.

@rcrsn51 Thanks for bt4stretch, great help in making bluethooth easily accessible.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

TerryH wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:25 am

Ran the new mklive-bullseye script this evening. Created a new Bullseye ObDog with following changes:
Removed JWM-setup
Removed xlunch
Added audacious
Added bluetooth (bluetooth, bluez, blueman, bt4stretch)

Build went very smoothly. All tested so far working well. Connected to bluetooth earphones, could easily swap between bluetooth and internal speakers using bt4stretch. I have also transferred files to and from mobile phone. Fantastic work! :thumbup2:

So thanks @fredx181 for your continued development on the DebianDog projects.

@rcrsn51 Thanks for bt4stretch, great help in making bluethooth easily accessible.

Thanks for the positive report Terry, good to hear !!

@tosim

Any chance of someday getting an iso of this-to make a frugal install?

The purpose of this is that you can build your own iso, just let us know if you need help.

Fred

tosim

Post by tosim »

Thanks, will do.

Last edited by tosim on Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
puddlemoon

Post by puddlemoon »

Hi Fred and all.
Many thanks for this project, I'm finding it rather addictive... I have been testing a linux audio environment in 3 different dogs and they are all great! (but this is my favorite)

Been pushing my comfort zone, using the xfce version. Having never cared much for xfce (like many others it seems), I have been pleasantly surprised... A few quirks to get used to but nice to have a little integration for a change.

I have been getting the "issue" mentioned in the sid thread with the 5.10.xx kernels where my ssd is not necessarily assigned the same location each boot. Sometimes /sda sometimes /sdb... I have used the included kernel as well as the rt version from the repo and liquorix. Each seems equally likely to "swap" the location. Just a report.. not sure if there is a fix. Has caused a small challenge with symlinks but using /mnt/home instead of /mnt/live/mnt/sdx seems to be taking care of that mostly.

Question: Can we use any/all of the porteus cheatcodes or are there some that will not apply to us?

And.. Thanks again for this! It is such a gem, a unique approach that has opened some doors of possibility to me that are very exciting.

Kennel Dweller

Post by Kennel Dweller »

Hi again. I am still building and breaking and loving it.
Question I have this time is:
Is there a way I can upgrade only installed software without having all the crap that apt upgrade wants to make me have?
I know the --no-install-recommends command but that doesn't always work either.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Kennel Dweller wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:08 pm

... without having all the crap...

Please explain. You are happy to use version X that a developer provides, but any updates s/he makes is automatically crap?

If you don´t think that the package is worth updating, just remove it from your system.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

puddlemoon wrote:

I have been getting the "issue" mentioned in the sid thread with the 5.10.xx kernels where my ssd is not necessarily assigned the same location each boot. Sometimes /sda sometimes /sdb... I have used the included kernel as well as the rt version from the repo and liquorix. Each seems equally likely to "swap" the location. Just a report.. not sure if there is a fix. Has caused a small challenge with symlinks but using /mnt/home instead of /mnt/live/mnt/sdx seems to be taking care of that mostly.

It could well be that this issue of swapping sda <> sdb is fixed now (at least for me on latest test build I did, my harddisk shows as sda and usb as sdb now)
Please test with a new build.
(I modified the "modlist" in initrdport-bullseye (to be downloaded from github), by changing the order of kernel modules loaded)

Question: Can we use any/all of the porteus cheatcodes or are there some that will not apply to us?

For the most, yes, but probably not all, TBH I didn't test all so cannot be sure which are not working.

Fred

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

fredx181 wrote:

It could well be that this issue of swapping sda <> sdb is fixed now (at least for me on latest test build I did, my harddisk shows as sda and usb as sdb now)
(I modified the "modlist" in initrdport-bullseye (to be downloaded from github), by changing the order of kernel modules loaded)

I found that how I did modify the modules order could cause a delay at boot (it happened on my old machine, tested with a 32-bit build).
So changed the order in "modlist" again a little and should be ok now from what I tested.
Also updated package "upgrade-kernel" to v 1.3.0 including these changes.

Fred

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

*** Updated mklive-bullseye ***

New attached mklive-bullseye script at first post and appimages updated, download here: https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/Re ... yedog.html

Changes:
- Added choice to build ISO with UEFI support or not.
(another yes/no prompt at the beginning of the build)
When choosing UEFI it will also be SG2D (supergrub2-disc) compliant, e.g. boot ISO directly see also: Boot Puppy directly from .iso without making a DVD, Frugal or Full install
- The issue of swapping sda <> sdb should be fixed now, see also above posts.

Fred

Kennel Dweller

Post by Kennel Dweller »

rcrsn51 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:31 pm
Kennel Dweller wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:08 pm

... without having all the crap...

Please explain. You are happy to use version X that a developer provides, but any updates s/he makes is automatically crap?

If you don´t think that the package is worth updating, just remove it from your system.

There is a difference between update and upgrade.
I am happy to update the software I have installed but when offered an upgrade I would like to only upgrade that same software.
If I have deleted something i don't want the upgrade to reinstall it, that's what I call crap.

Return to “DebianDogs”