Palemoon 28.16.0 last 32bit?

Moderator: Forum moderators

OscarTalks

Palemoon 28.16.0 last 32bit?

Post by OscarTalks »

Palemoon 28.16.0 was released on 24th November 2020
Looks like it may be the last one that they produce an official 32bit build of.
From the website:-
"Note for Linux users: With CentOS 6 going end-of-life, this version will be the last for which we will be building 32-bit Linux official binaries to download. While your distribution may choose to continue offering 32-bit versions of the browser, built from source by the maintainers, we won't be offering any further official 32-bit Linux binaries on our website. Please check with your distribution's package maintainers to know if further 32-bit support will be available on your particular flavor of Linux."

xenial

Re: Palemoon 28.16.0 last 32bit?

Post by xenial »

I kind of knew this was coming months ago..not many 32bit browsers afloat at the moment.Not enough linux 32bit users to warrant further development.
Third party builds maybe be feasible but most will just jump to firefox or other browsers.

Null_ID

Post by Null_ID »

xenial wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:54 am

Third party builds maybe be feasible

Speaking of which, there's still a glimmer of hope left for us Puppians. Steve Pusser from the Pale Moon forums. at least for the time being. is still compiling his 3rd party, but officially approved/endorsed packages for Debian and Ubuntu. Among these are also i386 .debs for Debian 9.0 and xUbuntu 18.04. I'm currently on DPup Stretch 7.5, so I took the liberty of downloading Steve's Debian 9 .deb to test it. I clicked the .deb, and it pretty much just installed AND worked as is, no additional dependencies required, no crazy modifications needed. I'm posting this with Steve's Debian 9 build right now.

If Steve keeps this up for a while longer, us 32-bit Pale Mooners might yet live to fight another day, at least until the relevant big distros drop official 32-bit support for good. In the mean while, you can grab Steve Pusser's builds from here:

https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... e=palemoon

Personally, I'd be happy to get another year or two out of my 32-bit puppies, would make me a happy puppy. :p

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Like xenial says, we've known for long enough this was coming.

I know the 'clones' are NOT everybody's cup of tea; many don't like Google's nosy data-harvesting. But since there's no indications yet that the Chromium Project are intending to stop production of 32-bit builds/source-code, Iron & Vivaldi should continue to be produced in 32-bit format.....and with Vivaldi set to add a built-in email client on top of the word-processor/text editor they've already added, the 'clones' will have their own equivalent to the 'zilla-based SeaMonkey internet suite.

As I always say, choice is a good thing.

Mike. ;)

peebee

Post by peebee »

Download Pale Moon for Linux
Latest release: 28.17.0

NOTE: Linux 32 bit binaries have been discontined.

http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

peebee

Post by peebee »

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

I think it's probably easy enough, but how would one convert one of Steve's deb offerings
to a pet, for use in something other than Debian/Ubuntu based Puppys (ScPup32 to be specific)?

Signature available upon request

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Wiz57 :-

It's fine if you'd prefer a .pet; I appreciate many prefer to stick with Pup's 'traditional' package formats.

Bearing in mind that Slackos have a slightly bare cupboard compared to their 'buntu-based kennel-mates, do me a favour, and give my current PaleMoon-portable a try; I want to see what output you get when attempting to run it from the terminal.

viewtopic.php?p=12855#p12855

D/l; unzip; put the resulting PaleMoon-portable directory anywhere you like, outside of the 'save'. Click to enter; then rt-clk->Window>Terminal here, enter

Code: Select all

./LAUNCH

....and let me know what the output is, please. That'll let us know if you need any 'extras' to get it running for you in ScPup32. A few uprated items are needed compared to releases from 2-3 years ago.....recently, a newer libstdc++.so.6 is now required. This is built-in to the portable, but I'd still like to see what happens when you try and run it.

Mike. ;)

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

@mikewalsh
I'll see if I can grab it and give you a report. Pet or sfs, either would be OK, peebee has
a palemoon.sfs at his site (SourceForge??) which I use in ScPup32, updated to v28.16,
so the basic internals should be in place. My problem will probably be getting to stuff
at google, lol, with Palemoon anyhow. Will check later!
Wiz :thumbup:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

If Google gives you grief, you can find 'em at my MediaFire a/c, here:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/avhjgd ... ale+Moon++

Mike. ;)

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

@mikewalsh
I downloaded the file from google but had to use ,Light browser. Palemoon just gave me a
circle spinning. When I used Light is when the message box about virus scanning, downloading,
or click here if download doesn't start etc, which let me click and download.,
Your package is "portable", correct? I might have to do a bit more work just because of how I
have things "installed"...I run frugal installs of Pups, in directories on an NTFS formatted HD,
using grub4dos to load whichever of some 6 Pups along with booting WinXP if desired/needed.
I tried to read up a bit on this portable concept, and if I understand correctly, for them to run
properly they should be extracted to a native Linux file system (ext2, ext3 etc)...the other
thing I need to check is since I already have Palemoon installed I don't want to interfere
with those. Moonchild Productions held onto Mozilla's propensity to tie everything back
into one directory/folder (depending on OS) which makes it difficult to run more than 1 version.
I've got some ideas running around in my head...least wise I hope they're ideas!!! :shock:
Perhaps a test installation of ScPup32, then add your portable Palemoon...I still have space
on the HD...over half of 120GB, lol!
Will report back! Wiz :thumbup:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

No need to worry about multiple browser instances 'interfering' with each other.

These 'portables' are completely self-contained, in that they contain their own profile/cache stuff within the portable's directory. I've had three or four different versions of Firefox running simultaneously like this, and every one of them as happy as Larry!

You can even put these on a suitably-formatted (yes, it will need Ext2/3/4) flash drive, and run them from there.....

(Currently, I've got somewhere between 4½-5 TB of the stuff. I went a bit silly with this new Pavilion; maxed out the RAM to 32 GB, and with the 1 TB internal drive, the 3 TB 'Barracuda' out of my Seagate external desktop drive - which is now 'internal'! - plus the WD Blue from the old Compaq (it was relatively new, so has plenty of life left in it yet), I've now got tons more space than I really know what to do with.

Technically, I'm not exactly your average Puppy user any more.....but I still think Pup's the next best thing to sliced bread, despite that I could run literally anything I wanted to these days.....)

Mike. ;)

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

All Puppy versions should be able to install from a deb package of the program.
Left click on the deb package just like a pet package.
Well, all the Puppy versions built with Woof-CE will.
This has been a feature of Puppy for years.
The only issue is sometimes figuring out what deb version of the program to use.
Plus may need to go and find needed dependencies to also install.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

@mikewalsh

I extracted the download from your google site...posting from the result now! No issues so far...
except it appears to still be version 28.16 32 bit??? Anyway, it works! Though not sure if the
launch script needs the apulse stuff as Palemoon doesn't use pulseaudio yet.
Wiz :thumbup2:

@bigpup

Ahhh, that's great to know! THANK YOU! Extends the usability of these 32 bit Pups
quite a bit. :thumbup2:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Hm. Odd. I've just downloaded it from the Drive myself, unzipped it & tried it out; it's definitely 28.17.0.

However, I noticed I'd made my usual mistake, and left the sym-link to my 'Profiles' directory in-situ. (I do this with all my 'portables - I run all my browsers this way now - because it makes swapping-over at upgrade time very much easier. Just re-add the sym-link to the appropriate profile, and away you go.) This has been removed.

I've also tested, and yes; you're right. Pale Moon doesn't need the 'apulse' stuff - I put it there when I first started doing these a couple of years ago because I wasn't sure if they were needed or not. They aren't, so I've removed them.

I've re-packed, and re-uploaded. Would you mind very much downloading and testing this version, please? If you look inside the 'palemoon32' directory, and you can see a directory marked 'libstdc++', it's definitely 28.17.0, because I've only had to add this in for this release; I don't know what distro Steve Pusser compiled his packages in.....and it wouldn't run without it. Probably not needed in anything newer than Xenialpup/DPup 'Stretch', because these have a sufficiently new libstdc++.so.6 to not need the built-in version, though it'll still run as-is.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Sorry to be awkward!

Mike, ;)

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

@mikewalsh
No problem Mike, attempting redownload now. Will test it and see, it could be the launch
script is finding my v28.16 install, and running that with the new basically blank profile!
Palemoon is set as my default web browser and HTM viewer, so may need to adjust script.
Will investigate!
Wiz

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Wiz57 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:09 am

@mikewalsh
No problem Mike, attempting redownload now. Will test it and see, it could be the launch
script is finding my v28.16 install, and running that with the new basically blank profile!
Palemoon is set as my default web browser and HTM viewer, so may need to adjust script.
Will investigate!
Wiz

Mm.....it shouldn't do, because the 'LAUNCH' script tells it to look only inside its own directory. Let's see what happens, shall we?

Mike. ;)

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

@mikewalsh
Well after several attempts, it appears, with my setups anyhow, that these portables somehow
call the previously installed SFS files. I run frugal installs, ScPup32, on NTFS formatted HDD...
each Pup is in its own directory to the DE desired (LXDE, LXQT, standard Rox, as
well as 2 different versions with LXQT, and even ArchPup32)...I tried extracting the portables
into "My Applications" directory inside Puppy...not having a dedicated Linux formatted
partition may be my biggest issue. I've also downloaded the DEB file from Steve's site...
will play around with that one next as it does appear PPM will install it! (thanks bigpup!)
Meanwhile, off to the "Blue Nowhere" (old book by J. Deaver), got some more moderation
to do!
Thanks for your gracious assistance...will not be forgotten!
Wiz :thumbup:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Almost certainly the lack of a dedicated Linux partition is at the bottom of it all. Since I run nothing BUT Puppy, every partition on my machine - with the exception of the wee boot partition - is Ext3. The boot partition has no choice but to be FAT32, 'cos that's what UEFI expects & demands!

You obviously run with save-files (NOT -folders) because that's the only way you'll get the required file-system for Puppy to run at all.....

Never mind. We tried....!

Mike. ;)

xenial

Post by xenial »

Just a cautionary note to anyone thinking of popping over to the palemoon forum and asking the same thing,that forum can be quite toxic and one moderator in particular.(tobin) will throw a ton of insults at you..i have warned you. :D

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

@bigpup @mikewalsh

Success...I grabbed the deb i386 package from Steve Pusser's site, unloaded my Palemoon.sfs,
then installed the deb in a rather pristine ScPup32 20.06...I'm here now with 28.17! Cool...
just wanted to give bigpup and mikewalsh a great gib "shout out" for all the help! BTW...
unloading the SFS doesn't remove any personalization that I can tell...my bookmarks are
intact as well as my preferences! Keep these 32 bit Pups barking!

@xenial
Yeah I hear ya on that one! I'm not registered at the PM forums, and "NTP"s attitude, basically
to anyone that dares question decisions, is wrong on many levels...if I were moderator over
there I'd probably ban him, just like he was banned at the MSFN forums where old Windows
versions are discussed and NewMoon for WinXP is announced! There are polite and cordial
methods to redirect queries where they should go without resorting to cussing and flame
throwers!
Wiz :thumbup2:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

The trouble with that is, Tobin's a 'mod' anyway - in the PaleMoon forum's very loose staff structure, despite not being 'labelled' as such - as well as being the guy who builds the official releases! In addition to which, he's "best buds" with Moonchild himself.....

I agree, it doesn't give a very good impression to anyone coming across the forum for the first time. Kinda reminds me of my own experience at the TinyCore forum a few years back; I felt like I'd been transported back in time. Talk about the regulars snarling "RTFM" to every query..... Jeez.

Glad to hear ya got it running, anyway. And I'm in agreement with you; 32-bit Pups should be kept rockin'; my own favourite amongst that large category is a very heavily-customized Slacko 571 from Sailor Enceladus. Along with jrb's 'lite' spin on BK's Quirky64 'April' 701, these two between them are my daily drivers. If this UEFI-equipped Pavilion tower would permit it, I'd still be running Micko's 'classic' Slacko 5.7.0.....

Mike. ;)

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

The Google download will not work for me. No matter which browser I am using. MediaFire is okay though.

I am using the latest version on a WeeDog32-Void-2.8. I had to slightly modify /palemoon32/plmn to this :

#!/bin/sh

#LAUNCHDIR="$(cd "$(dirname "$0")"; pwd)"
LAUNCHDIR="$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")"

export LD_PRELOAD="$LAUNCHDIR/libstdc++/libstdc++.so.6"

"$LAUNCHDIR/palemoon" "$@"

I copied the palemoon profile directory from a Puppy Bionic32 and this portable version is working well from /mnt/sdb1

This is the .desktop file I am using to incorporate LAUNCH into the WeeDog32-Void menu system with JWM and xLunch

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Pale Moon Web Browser
Comment=Browse the World Wide Web
Keywords=Internet;WWW;Browser;Web;Explorer
Exec=/mnt/sdb1/PaleMoon-portable/LAUNCH
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Icon=/opt/palemoon/browser/icons/mozicon128.png
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;Internet;
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;x-scheme-handler/ftp;x-scheme-handler/chrome;video/webm;application/x-xpinstall;
StartupNotify=true

Return to “Browsers and Internet”