How to transmit files from Android phone to Puppy?

Moderator: Forum moderators

oui

How to transmit files from Android phone to Puppy?

Post by oui »

My last portable phone was the phone of my daughter as she was 15 y. old. She is now 36 y. old. At that time, it was possible to connect a phone directly as some what like a memory card and transfer directly the files into Puppy running on a PC.

as the battery of the poor phone did not work any more at all (it was part of the phone box: so you can only use original batteries of the brand) and as I did find a very cheap new smart phone for only 39 Euro :thumbup2: (cheaper as the original battery of the brand, all more than 10 y. old batteries...), I did buy the enemy, the smart phone.

but now, I have made some photos with it and I don't know how to transfer them per cable connection or per memory card to our actual puppy's running on my PC. I know: it is elementary knowledge but I am unable to do that (shame!).

can one friend of the forum explain me the 2 solutions, please? I thank for it!

oui

Re: how to transmit my files from android to puppy

Post by oui »

nxt problem:

I did think now «I know a way for one of those photos» (*1 :

I publish it on the forum of Puppy and can pick it from it in my PC!

But, no way! The picture is to big and no mTpaint in Android...

What do the poor android users in this case?

(The photo is interesting for really all people friendly for personal transport solutions sparing our atmosphere! I was last week on bike trip along the beautiful confluent of the Rhine named Moselle and did discover on the rive bike way a new complete «service areal» for bicycle:
- dry toilette without water as it is dry but really absolutely usable, with spending tool for hand cleaning gel (especially the women will like it: finish the problem to do that hiding themself as you can in the pure and poor nature!)
- mechanical tools (a lot of tools) for bicycle and pomp with manometer
- a table with banks to eat (somewhat being prepared by youself before start)
- container for rests (to avoid you let your rests in the nature

see pls https://www.fluo.grandest.fr/ and https://www.fluo.grandest.fr/ter-fluo/velo-et-train/ if you are interesting (the normal bicycles can be transported free in all regional trains and a lot, absolutely the most if not all, buses in the box under the seats (not protected) or, behind a lot of trains and buses vertically in special fixations and relatively good protect (until the source of the Moselle in Busang!) free of cost (for the bicycle (*1 ). In Épinal, you can use free of cost a closed bicycle box for one night (the registration is bit problematic... It was important for us: we did rent a car for that trip. We did get a terrible Audi A4, a powerful car of cours, but no room behind the 2 front seats. Demontage of the 2 bikes to transport it. But no problem in Épinal: let the 2 bikes in the secure box)! There are completely new aspects of comfort for bikers!

(*1 I will upload it later
(*2 in the Netherlands each bike cost 7,50 Euro independently of the lenght of the way: this is not a bicycle friendly land any more...

galbi

Post by galbi »

For just one photo, you can e-mail it to yourself (in your phone), and then open your e-mail account in the Puppy PC internet browser and download it from there.

gychang

Post by gychang »

oui wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 9:12 pm

My last portable phone was the phone of my daughter as she was 15 y. old. She is now 36 y. old. At that time, it was possible to connect a phone directly as some what like a memory card and transfer directly the files into Puppy running on a PC.

as the battery of the poor phone did not work any more at all (it was part of the phone box: so you can only use original batteries of the brand) and as I did find a very cheap new smart phone for only 39 Euro :thumbup2: (cheaper as the original battery of the brand, all more than 10 y. old batteries...), I did buy the enemy, the smart phone.

but now, I have made some photos with it and I don't know how to transfer then per cable connection or per memory card to our actual puppy's running on my PC. I know: it is elementar knowledge but I am unable to do that (shame!).

can one friend of the forum explain me the 2 solutions, please? I thank for it!

can do it 2 ways as long as both phone and PC can access local network. No need for wires...
1. now days I use localsend. Install LS to both PC and phone and can send photos from phone to puppy PC. I do this every day. This may help.
2. 2 years ago I was using gftp to transfer photos from google pixel 4 phone to puppy PC.

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

Clarity

Re: How to transmit files from Android phone to Puppy?

Post by Clarity »

Hello @oui
Almost EVERY forum distro comes to you with SAMBA built-in. SAMBA is ubiquitous in EVERY major Linux distro such that there is NO need to install anything on Linux distros. Its built-in, stable, secure, simple to setup and easy to understand such that almost every member of this forum can help you with setup and understanding it.

On your forum linux distro
If you haven't already, merely open it to your forum distro's desktop and share a location that you want to allow users to store/retrieve files. This is done, usually ONCE in the life of your PC. For WoofCE PUP's on the desktop go to Menu>Network>SAMBA Simple Management and setup a store location or use the one that is pre-built making sure the service is started via its button (GREEN). The forum developers of this made this almost TOO easy to both understand and to use.

Once this is done, your PUP is sharing a location that anyone on your LAN can send/receive files to that storage location.

On your phone
For the past many-many years, I ONLY have used Android file-managers which have smb-clients built in. They are numerous! These file managers have features built-in such that (assuming the phone is on the same Wifi network as your PC) you can retrieve or transfer files to/from your phone with ease.

To do this, there are more than a half-dozen free file-managers and at least a dozen that you can purchase for less than 4-pounds. Using one of these (your choice) you open it, link to your PUP's SAMBA resource it is sharing; then read/write files.

Conclusion
Any of your phone and PCs can pull/push files to your PUP. Most every member of this forum knows how to do this and can help should you need.

Further, I have NEVER needed to use a physical cable OR a physical media (micro-SDcard, USB sticks) to exchange or transfer files to my PUPs where SAMBA is running...NEVER!

Hope this is helpful

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

On the odd occasion I want to transfer photos off my android phone, I use FtpCafe as the host on the phone, and gFTP as the client on Puppy.

Havent used it for a while so I forget some of the operational details. There are other FTP programs out there on android which i tried, but FtpCafe was the best so far.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@oui

Does the old mobile phone have a micro-usb connector that you can use to connect to your PC?

Most Puppy OS have PupMTP included

Menu <FILE SYSTEM>

Alternatively, you could try this application.

Android-File-Transfer.sfs

https://www.mediafire.com/file/yfoi3wgs ... r.sfs/file

Return to “Network/Server”