NO Audio- No sound - Computer OR Software Not Behaving Nicely!!!!?? (sound solved)

Moderators: peebee, Forum moderators

chilibowl

NO Audio- No sound - Computer OR Software Not Behaving Nicely!!!!?? (sound solved)

Post by chilibowl »

:shock: OK-Fellow LINUX ~Heads and users ,misusers . Now for a Story to Share!!!??

I have used my somewhat trusty S1564 PUP box here for say 3 years now. Serves me well for aSecond Hand NON-windows Computer <HP Dc1500 3076 gb of RAM - 1 250GB Harddrive Stock Powersupply and Mobo ,onlya ATI radeon Vid Card installed by Previous owner.

Had very few problems , only problem is my Ram sometimes doesnot work due to its age /or old Mobo.
so when Iboot it Up i have to shutdown the Pup or Fossa Partition<this is a Dual boot unit.> So Iprobably could be abusing the Layout of the OS by a Hot SHUTDOWN- Ican,t seem to do the Classic CTRl-Backspace and Enter to do it Right-Ireally do not know why!!?? Ihave seen messages of Recovering Journals ,etc.

So ihave booted up the S15 pup partition and Ihave NOsound!!! -What :? could be going on!!?? where do I look for diagnosis?!! this has been going on for a Week now ,It Always had sound ,now its just Silent -except for Cooling fan<s>. where do we go from here??!!

adios-chilibowl

Last edited by bigpup on Wed Sep 18, 2024 1:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: added sound solved to show it was fixed
cobaka

Re: NO Audio- No sound - Computer OR Software Not Behaving Nicely!!!!??

Post by cobaka »

Hello @chilibowl

You mention several points in your posting. It's better to set out a single topic/complaint per posting.
Mixing several topics in one posting creates a problem both for those who respond (e.g. me) and for you in reading.

(A) RAM

" ... problem is my Ram sometimes doesnot work due to its age /or old Mobo."

See this post: -> https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=11786

(B) Booting:

" ... when I boot it up i have to shutdown the Pup or Fossa Partition. (this is a dual boot unit.)"

More info please - and perhaps don't mix several topics in a single posting.

(C) Sound (or lack thereof).
c.1 Is the sound absent from your speakers only, or can you hear sound from the headphone socket?
c.2 When you boot your system, do you hear a sound (beep) at the end of the POST test?
Also - remember that you can "kill" sound (at least in you-tube) with the "M" key.
Or - the volume setting (lower RH desktop - speaker symbol) may be set too 'low' or to mute.

(D) Suggest you download/install a different version of Puppy to a thumb-drive and boot from that.
See if the problem persists.

Hope this helps.

cobaka

собака --> это Русский --> a dog
"c" -- say "s" - as in "see" or "scent" or "sob".

chilibowl

Post by chilibowl »

8-) Ok -Cobaka - My Belarussian ~Ukrainian ancestry (matralineal side) taught me some Russian - Sa-baka - Sahh - Russky for DOG / Hound . Thats aPleasant surprise -so where are U located .

sorry for the Dis -jointed Post of mine . Ishall re-read your Post , Co~Baka .

scwhinEa , Chilbowl

cobaka

Post by cobaka »

Hello @chilibowl

I'm in Australia - partway between Newcastle and Sydney on the east coast.
My interest with the Russian language / Cyrillic alphabet began with a woman from Baranovichi / Belarus.
Iryna had a beautiful soul, but unfortunately she became one of many victims of covid. Very sad.

My vocab is limited - perhaps 600+ or so words, but I'm intrigued by this interesting language and astonishing Russian/soviet history.
We (in the west) have no idea (none at all) about the astonishing history of Russia/Soviet/Ukraine.
Nor do we understand the great sacrifice made by the ordinary soviet citizen 80 years ago.

собака.

Ira+me_at_cafe_tn.jpg
Ira+me_at_cafe_tn.jpg (11.73 KiB) Viewed 638 times

chilibowl

Post by chilibowl »

Thank you for Reply -Sir "Cobakaa" Yes -many in america do not know much about Russian History - its somewhat/ in Fact VERY sad -especially all the Citizens who became soldiers to fight in ww2 - huge Population Loss from that circumstance. :( \ hey DID not Teach US much about that in School <secondary> We had to learn it on or own ,or havea Relatuve of some Slavic Extraction /Heritage to tell us some history.

And the ReGime of Stalin -most deviuos dictator in Past History /perhaps as Bad as Hitler.
:evil:

Sorry to here about your Female Companion , COVID you say?? Ihear that AusTraliya had RIDIcOLOUS cOVID Lockdowns!!! Hmm. :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

As far as My Russian language comprhension -You have me beat By MIles !!!!! Ever see a YOUTUBE Channel called "BALD And BankRupt" this British dude of Polish/ Slavic heritagge -AS He claims speaks Russian rather Effortlessly as He travels in the Former Soviet Union , the "stan" - Asiatic Countries are the most Interesting . So THANK you for the KOMPUTER TIP for my old Pentium 4 box <s15 pup64>. :thumbup2:

I tried a CD LIVE boot on the Unit WITH a CD /dvd of s15 PUP64 - STILL NO sound!!!!!!!!!!
this thing is cRAZZY!!! Verruckk -Zavodny!!!!!!

adios-CHILIBOWL

cobaka

Post by cobaka »

Hi @chilibowl

Returning to the topic of "no sound"

(1) you booted your system from a different source - a CD. Still no sound. This suggests the boot-able file is not corrupt. (Someone may suggest you installed the Puppy from the corrupt CD - but I doubt that, because you said sound was working previously.)

(2) Next, you probably have two possible sources for audio on your PC - inbuilt speakers and the headphone socket. When you plug in headphones, do you hear anything?

(3) What is the level/volume setting shown on the sound level control (desktop, lwr RH side).
Here is my sound-level control. If you use a different Puppy - yours may be different.

sound-level-control.jpg
sound-level-control.jpg (5.61 KiB) Viewed 598 times

(4) When you boot your PC, do you hear a 'beep' from the Power-On-Self-Test routine - before Puppy begins booting?

(5) see if there is a sound-test command available from the terminal:
Open the terminal. Type: which speaker-test <enter>
If you see: /usr/bin/speaker-test - you have a sound-test program available.

Type
speaker-test <enter>

On my desktop, this makes sound (white noise) in my speakers.
On my desktop you can stop it using ctrl_C - but not instantly.
That's enough for the moment.

cobaka

chilibowl

Post by chilibowl »

Thank you for reply -SOBAKA!! I yesterday replaced my PC witha Replica of it -same CPU / Memory and MOBO same H/P 5100 series -It still did NOT have sound !! Until IPlugged HEADPHONES in the BACK of the AUDIo~OUT jack-port. THEN :shock: :shock: :shock: Ihad sound!!! It turns out that my MONITOR (a VEIWSONIC VP150m) has adead or Malfunctioning Audio circuit in it <it does have built In Mini_speakers.l.

So thank you Sobaka -for the Advice , BTw my older pC H/P 5100 had a mOBO problem ,never booted Up quite right Lately -did NOt want to crash My Kernels alot!!

regards -chilbowl :geek:

cobaka

Post by cobaka »

Hi @chilibowl

New topic - Your non-booting PC/laptop.
If this develops into a serious discussion we can start a new thread.

First: a link about one easily found (& fixed) reason why PC's don't boot.
Link -> viewtopic.php?t=11786

A second reason: Flat CMOS battery.
Does the 'dead' PC beep shortly after power on?
Do you get ANY response from the monitor screen.

cobaka

Return to “SPups”