Wish list for Scarthgap 6.3.2

Moderator: BarryK

bugnaw333

Wish list for Scarthgap 6.3.2

Post by bugnaw333 »

@BarryK

Please add screenliner under Graphics...thanks. ;)

https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... creenliner

bugnaw333

Re: Wish list for Scarthgap 6.3

Post by bugnaw333 »

@BarryK

Also, pls add UNetbootin in addition to EasyDD under Setup. Lately, most of the new Puppies could not run after writing the iso on USB stick using EasyDD and Balena Etcher (no error/missing files). I believe UNetbootin is more reliable compare to other USB writing tools. :thumbup2:
Thank you.

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

I really need it , and I tried to configure jwmrc-tray , personal..... but I don't know how to do it.

I used to run different browsers in different desktops and with F96CE_XFCE_FUSILLI I have no problem to identify what desktop is the browser I need.

It is possible to configure EasyOS taskbar to show all running programs (not only the ones that are running in this desktop).

It could be fantastic and It gives my work a big improve.

Thanks.

----------------------------
I edited jwrmc-tray and include in tasklist show all desktops but I can't achive my objective.

Code: Select all

<TaskList all="true"/>

Code: Select all

<TaskList maxwidth="0" all=true labeled="true"/>
Attachments
image 20 21 16.jpg
image 20 21 16.jpg (14.25 KiB) Viewed 894 times
Last edited by pp4mnklinux on Wed Sep 11, 2024 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

:arrow:

XFCE_FUSILLI . ===> https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/

YouTube How_To . ==> https://bit.ly/f96ce_xfce_fusilli_HOWTO

Learning EASY OS . => https://easyos.org/

tammi806

Post by tammi806 »

bugnaw333 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 12:34 pm

@BarryK

Lately, most of the new Puppies could not run after writing the iso on USB stick using EasyDD and Balena Etcher (no error/missing files).

I've never had any problem with either of them.

bugnaw333

Post by bugnaw333 »

@tammi806

I tried the new BookwormPup64_10.0.7 iso writing on a USB stick:

1. OS: EasyOS 6.2
Writing Tools: EasyDD and Balena Etcher pet
RESULT--->>> NO Boot :?

2. OS: Manjaro
Writing Tool: UNetbootin
RESULT--->> Boot and runs OK. :thumbup2:

Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (69.38 KiB) Viewed 851 times
bugnaw333

Post by bugnaw333 »

Looking what is inside the USB after writing:
UNetbootin has FAT32 File System while both DD and Etcher have iso9660.

But FatDog iso is OK on DD and Etcher even it has iso9660 file system. :thumbup2:

Am I missing something? :?

Attachments
fatdogetcher.png
fatdogetcher.png (42.17 KiB) Viewed 845 times
gpartunet.png
gpartunet.png (40.3 KiB) Viewed 845 times
gpartDD.png
gpartDD.png (39.5 KiB) Viewed 845 times
bugnaw333

Post by bugnaw333 »

:thumbup2:

Attachments
ScreenshotFD.jpg
ScreenshotFD.jpg (49.3 KiB) Viewed 845 times
BarryK

Post by BarryK »

bugnaw333 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 5:04 am

@tammi806

It looks like bookwormpup is not a "hybrid iso".
All iso's should be hybrid -- I consider bookwormpup iso to be misconfigured if it isn't.

Many users, soon just about all users, don't have an optical drive, and the iso has to be written to a usb flash stick to boot.

Some information is here:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/how-to- ... oot/146392

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

All of my desktops have both USB and DVD pathways.

Thus ISOs as a universal deliverable continues to cover ALL my booting bases and all my needs. I have not found an "apparent" booting advantage that IMG deliverables offers over ISO deliverables. I have tested a few distros over the years where they have offered both an ISO as well as an IMG for a given release.

I think, maybe, less developer work.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Clarity wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:01 am

have not found an "apparent" booting advantage that IMG deliverables offers over ISO deliverables....
I think, maybe, less developer work.

I think, maybe, you never install to a dedicated disk so you don't see it's installation advantage

wishlist: btrfs support

Last edited by williwaw on Wed Sep 11, 2024 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Federico

Post by Federico »

I would like:

1) A better and more noticeable alert for when the battery is almost empty (under 10%)

2) Brightness settings loading automatically when the system boots up

3) Ability to change or remove the file system encryption password (for when exporting the whole system image to other physical drives)

4) From PKGget, a more precise indication about the installation state of packages (sometimes packages are shown as installed, even though they are not; installed external packages do disappear from PKGget after updating the system - thus, only previous users of the system do exactly know what's installed and what's not -)

5) Perfected stability when shutting down the system (when using USB sticks, still sometimes the system requires several minutes to shut down or it even freezes for ever - without saving the session -)

Desktop PC
Case: Sharkoon S25-W MB: Asus Rog Strix B550-A PSU: XFX Pro 750W CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X @ 4.6 GHz RAM: Corsair 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz Heatsink: Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B VGA: Asus Tuf RTX 3080 12 GB OC

Laptop PC: Asus Zenbook UX325E

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

williwaw wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:07 am

I think, maybe, you never install to a dedicated disk so you don't see it's installation advantage

As a matter of fact, I have. IMG to disk or ISO to disk.

Could you elaborate a little more?

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Clarity wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:18 am

As a matter of fact, I have. IMG to disk or ISO to disk.
Could you elaborate a little more?

for those comfortable in the terminal, using a single command to create a fully working install with formatting, partitioning and persistence already set up.
# dd if=easy-5.4.1-amd64.img of=/dev/sdc bs=1M

or EasyDD for those that prefer a gui.

EasyDD frontend for dd
This is a nice tool for writing an image file to a drive. It is in EasyOS, but will work on any Linux distribution.
EasyDD may be run in a terminal on the commandline, or as a GUI. Even if you like to use the commandline in Linux, it is good to use EasyDD rather than 'dd' directly, as EasyDD helps to choose the correct target-drive, and does a lot of sanity checking.

It also verifies the write, by reading it back and checksumming against the original file.
https://easyos.org/install/how-to-write ... drive.html

Clarity

Re: Wish list for Scarthgap 6.3.1

Post by Clarity »

Hello @BarryK

Google, as you know, hires a bunch of university students for their "Summer Of Code". Those efforts have concluded several weeks ago. What you are seeing in your builds are a result of the summer's development that is just starting to roll out into releases. The source size for builds, you see, will probably reduce over the coming months, as you will probably notice.

FYI

hnw

Post by hnw »

Hi Barry,

Noticed that in PKGET there is an option to install RPM, and was wondering if perhaps there could be an addition of Portage.
Gentoo's package manager since it is a pretty flexible package manager that might expand the accessibility of software for Easy.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Portage

Since with the addition of Prefix, it essentially allows for the addition of other libraries/repositories from other OS'es making it a type of Swiss Army knife of package managers for those who like to install without Appimages and flatpaks. Since not all software comes in those.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Prefix

This aside, and whether you take the above into consideration or not, of it it goes into a larger update, down the line, just want to thank you for creating EasyOS.

Usually, Gentoo Linux's package manager (Portage) installs in the root of the filesystem hierarchy known as /. On systems other than Gentoo Linux, this usually results in problems, due to conflicts of software packages, unless the OS is adapted like Gentoo FreeBSD. Instead, Gentoo Prefix installs within an offset, known as a prefix, allowing users to install Gentoo in another location in the filesystem hierarchy, hence avoiding conflicts. Next to this offset, Gentoo Prefix runs unprivileged, meaning no root user or rights are required to use it.

By using an offset (the "prefix" location), it is possible for many "alternative" user groups to benefit from a large part of the packages in the Gentoo ebuild repository. Currently users of the following systems successfully run Gentoo Prefix: macOS on PowerPC and Intel, Linux on x86, x86_64 and arm, Solaris 11 on Sparc, Sparc/64, x86 and x86_64. Other platforms have been successfully used in the past.

tammi806

Post by tammi806 »

bugnaw333 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 5:04 am

@tammi806

Well I'll tell you what I know about the way I install using Etcher is I've been using an older version of etcher and just never remembered that I was because I'm old and don't pay attention.

Anyway I have tried a new version of etcher and it doesn't want to boot from a usb flash drive so I don't know what the difference may be.

DDcopy I've used on another Linux distro SparkyLinux Debian base works fine and so does DDcopy in Easy OS.

I use an unorthodox way of installing onto a HDD using a live SparkyLinux dvd and etcher since some of my desktops are so old they don't boot from a usb and I just don't understand how to set up the boot loader manually.

I've read the how to do it info but it's more than my old grey cells can understand but as long as I get it installed I don't care what method I use.

Stogie

Post by Stogie »

Wish list?

1. XFE file manager. Please! I had it on Easy Buster (right in the regular petget package manager, easy install!), and I miss it terribly! It blows the doors off everything else IMO!

And this brings me to a broader point:

2. A package manager that has 95% of what I need (like Easy Buster had), not 5% (like all subsequent Easys). On Easy Buster's package manager petget, I almost never got the dreaded "not found" red error box, but on all Easy versions since I nearly ALWAYS get it! Nothing I need is ever in there!

I realize that OpenEmbedded has advantages, sure, but darnit, Debian had/has almost EVERYTHING in terms of software packages and I REALLY REALLY miss that whole awesome experience of "search, ahh there it is, click, install, done!" _tremendously_!

EasyOS is of very limited utility to me. I'm thinking of jumping ship to something like Mint just to get a decent set of packages!

What Barry's done with EasyOS is amazing, but IMO this really needs to be addressed.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Stogie wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 4:02 am

Wish list?

1. XFE file manager. Please! I had it on Easy Buster (right in the regular petget package manager, easy install!), and I miss it terribly! It blows the doors off everything else IMO!

2. A package manager that has 95% of what I need (like Easy Buster had), not 5% (like all subsequent Easys). On Easy Buster's package manager petget, I almost never got the dreaded "not found" red error box, but on all Easy versions since I nearly ALWAYS get it! Nothing I need is ever in there!

I realize that OpenEmbedded has advantages, sure, but darnit, Debian had/has almost EVERYTHING in terms of software packages and I REALLY REALLY miss that whole awesome experience of "search, ahh there it is, click, install, done!" _tremendously_!

EasyOS is of very limited utility to me. I'm thinking of jumping ship to something like Mint just to get a decent set of packages!

What Barry's done with EasyOS is amazing, but IMO this really needs to be addressed.

Flapi and Appi are intended to add lots of extra apps that are not in PKGget.

Also, Easy Buster can be run in a container, and any packages installed.
Which reminds me, better check that is still working.
Click on "pkg" icon, choose SFSget and then should be able to download buster SFS and install it to a container. It has been awhile since I looked at this mechanism.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Federico wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:54 am

5) Perfected stability when shutting down the system (when using USB sticks, still sometimes the system requires several minutes to shut down or it even freezes for ever - without saving the session -)

I am unable to reproduce this.
I have several computers, and usually test usb stick on 3 of them, and never have delays at shutdown, nor any failure to save, or a freeze.

Are you running with foreign packages installed?

Caramel

Post by Caramel »

Wish list?

Try this version compiled in EasyOS Scarthgap series : https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 74#p124374

PS :
PCmanFM, Midnight Commander, Thunar and SpaceFM are also available with PKGget
https://bkhome.org/news/202406/pcmanfm- ... kages.html
https://bkhome.org/news/202406/thunar-f ... in-oe.html
https://bkhome.org/news/202406/spacefm- ... in-oe.html

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

BarryK wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 10:54 am

Wish list?

Flapi and Appi are intended to add lots of extra apps that are not in PKGget.

Also, Easy Buster can be run in a container, and any packages installed.
Which reminds me, better check that is still working.
Click on "pkg" icon, choose SFSget and then should be able to download buster SFS and install it to a container. It has been awhile since I looked at this mechanism.

I have tested Easy Buster in a container:

https://bkhome.org/news/202409/easy-bus ... ainer.html

Installed kate text editor, which is a KDE application; works.

Then installed dolphin KDE file manager. It runs but icons don't display.

What I have been meaning to do for sometime, is setup QV to run in a container. QV (Quirky Void) is very much on the back-burner, don't know if I will ever get back to it. But it could be setup to run in a container in EasyOS, so have all of the Void repository -- also, Void do not do weird things to packages as does Debian, so likely to have improved behaviour, like maybe dolphin will be able to find its icons.

Note about kate ...140 dependencies! After that, it reported some packages still missing, so wrote them down and installed them. Dolphin had another 14 deps.

Yes, will bump QV-in-container higher on the to-do list.

Federico

Post by Federico »

BarryK wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 10:58 am
Federico wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:54 am

I am unable to reproduce this.
I have several computers, and usually test usb stick on 3 of them, and never have delays at shutdown, nor any failure to save, or a freeze.

Are you running with foreign packages installed?

Dear Barry, thank you very much for answering me. First of all, this is not too bad, since it doesn't happen very often.
Of course I have a lot of foreign packages installed: they are about a couple of hundreds I think (QuickTime apps, KDE apps, OCRmyPDF + various things I can't remember them all at once). But, they shoudn't be the cause of this, since I also use my modified EasyOS system on other hardware and the issue doesn't occur there: as already announced here, I'm also using my modified system on this HP laptop and it's working 100% fine on it.
But I've installed it on the SSD there, not using any external USB flash drive. Therefore, I can't have the absolute certainty that the issue is caused by the flash drive (SanDisk Ultra dual 128 GB) and not by the hardware of my ultrabook itself. My ultrabook (Asus Zenbook UX325E with Intel Iris Xe) has always had and still has minor hardware compatibility problems: first of all the integrated mic does not work (and therefore I can't use it for video conferencing without having to fall back to MS Windows) and I had to install an external firmware for being able to use Bluetooth connectivity.

With that said, regarding the issue itself I can furtherly tell you that when the system freezes during the shut down process, a writing usually appears stating something like Giving up waiting for the processes to stop, and it remains frozen for ever in that state, without having saved the session. For completeness I also remember you that my system is always set in german (both language and keyboard layout).

Desktop PC
Case: Sharkoon S25-W MB: Asus Rog Strix B550-A PSU: XFX Pro 750W CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X @ 4.6 GHz RAM: Corsair 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz Heatsink: Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B VGA: Asus Tuf RTX 3080 12 GB OC

Laptop PC: Asus Zenbook UX325E

Return to “EasyOS”