What issues with NoblePup need to be resolved?

Moderator: Forum moderators

Marv

Re: What issues with NoblePup need to be resolved?

Post by Marv »

Signed in to GitHub but the test build link still gives me a 404. Still building?

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based NoblePup64 (JWM & LXDE), Bookworm64 & Fossapup64-mid/mini (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

peebee

Post by peebee »

Marv wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 4:14 pm

Signed in to GitHub but the test build link still gives me a 404. Still building?

Try: https://github.com/peabee/woof-CE/relea ... 24.08-test

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

Marv

Post by Marv »

It's there, thanks, but I'm getting network errors on my end & it won't resume. I'll do a reconnect and try again later or in the morning.

Got it. MPV play checked in a pristine boot. Normal quicksetup only done. DVDs play correctly using MPV now. Video and audio fine, fullscreen mode and switch back fine, controls seem fully functional. I did have to add libdvdcss libraries for my 'problem' ones to play. I used the libdvdcss2_1.4.3-dmo2_amd64.deb I used to add them to my adrive.

Very quick check in my LXDE'd install. Basically runs but due to the different naming convention in the test iso, the install wasn't ideal.

Thanks,

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based NoblePup64 (JWM & LXDE), Bookworm64 & Fossapup64-mid/mini (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Uploaded the 05 September 2024 ISO & additional files to Mediafire:

https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 05#p130405

LateAdopter

Post by LateAdopter »

I've downloaded and installed this one and done all my usual tweaks up to loading my Vivaldi SFS so I can post from it now.
It's working fine but, as usual, I have to switch to the intel driver as the modesetting driver is always berserk on this Braswell N3150 CPU.

Two minor issues: The Connman taskbar icon is invisible. The gatotray.bin64 symlink is missing from /root/startup and .../disabled so the setting gui gives an error.

Thank you for this.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@peebee

Is the 05 Sept ISO based on Ubuntu 24.04.1 (Noble Numbat) ?

peebee

Post by peebee »

Jasper wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:06 am

@peebee

Is the 05 Sept ISO based on Ubuntu 24.04.1 (Noble Numbat) ?

I would imagine so - it uses whatever Noble components were available on 5 September........ you can check in /var/packages

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@peebee

Thanks for letting me know :thumbup:

Just a 'heads up', my previous 'save' file did not work with this build.

Previous build

puppy_upup64n_24.04.sfs

new build

puppy_noblepup64_24.08.sfs

hahahhaa .............. forgot to say 'so far, so good' ..... did not use the firmware sfs. All applications appear to start up as expected.

.......... have not used Synaptic Package Manager.

btop.png
btop.png (98.2 KiB) Viewed 639 times
Last edited by Jasper on Fri Sep 06, 2024 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LateAdopter

Post by LateAdopter »

I have just checked whether va-api was working. It's mostly installed but the package i965-va-driver is not installed but it is needed for my Braswell n3150 when using the intel driver instead of modesetting. It would also be needed for older graphics cards that predate crocus.

I have installed the package and va-api is now working.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

It looks like noble64 doesn't have va-driver-all preinstalled (unlike most dpup configurations), kernel modules are xz-compressed (because CONFIG_MODULE_COMPRESS_XZ is =y in Ubuntu) so module loading at boot time is CPU intensive and slower ... there are many things that can be optimized. Maybe it would be easier to start from scratch, with the BookwormPup64 configuration as the starting point.

peebee

Post by peebee »

dimkr wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 1:10 pm

It looks like noble64 doesn't have va-driver-all preinstalled (unlike most dpup configurations), kernel modules are xz-compressed (because CONFIG_MODULE_COMPRESS_XZ is =y in Ubuntu) so module loading at boot time is CPU intensive and slower ... there are many things that can be optimized. Maybe it would be easier to start from scratch, with the BookwormPup64 configuration as the starting point.

Thats because it had been disabled (see no.txt above):
no|libva|libva2,libva-drm2,libva-x11-2,vainfo,va-driver-all|exe,dev,doc,nls||deps:yes #needed by mplayer.

What should it have?
yes|libva|vainfo,va-driver-all|exe,dev,doc,nls||deps:yes
which expands with dependencies to:
yes|libva|vainfo,va-driver-all,libva-drm2,libva-x11-2,libva2,i965-va-driver,intel-media-va-driver,mesa-va-drivers,libigdgmm12|exe,dev,doc,nls||deps:yes

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

peebee wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 4:06 pm

What should it have?

That depends on your goals I guess. If you want minimum size, I guess you want VA-API drivers out. If you want lower CPU usage, better battery life and better browser performance, the other way around.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@peebee

Would it be possible in a future update to include PupMTP (libmtp) which allows MTP devices to be recognised and connected?

In the interim if anyone needs to connect a device eg Android phone then this SFS will work:

https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 56#p126856

peebee

Post by peebee »

@Jasper

I did not intend to become the maintainer of NoblePup64!!
I have recently done a bit of "tidying up" after interest was expressed in the existing periodic build of NoblePup64.
I would prefer it if somebody else could now undertake future maintenance and improvement.
You just have to fork Woof-CE - make changes in your fork including test builds - then push the changes back into Woof-CE for the periodic builds.
I will help if you get into problems.

Any takers?

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@peebee

Apologies, but thank you for the work so far.

The next point release is not due till next year, so this offering is good as it it is :thumbup:

I am not familiar with the actions/use of GitHub, but am willing to participate.

I will need a lot of 'holding hands' at the start until I get up to speed.

Anyone else willing to take this up as well?

peebee

Post by peebee »

no.txt shows:

no|simple-mtpfs||exe,dev,doc,nls #pupmtp
no|libmtp||exe,dev,doc,nls #pupmtp

these are pets in common64

I will add these and:
yes|libva|vainfo,va-driver-all|exe,dev,doc,nls||deps:yes

as my last "tidy-up"

peebee

Post by peebee »

https://github.com/peabee/woof-CE/relea ... .04-240907

release-action.png
release-action.png (167.14 KiB) Viewed 497 times

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@peebee

Much appreciated .......... have a great weekend!!!

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Jasper wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 10:10 am

I am not familiar with the actions/use of GitHub, but am willing to participate.

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... ibutor-101
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... -on-GitHub

(However, understanding basic git concepts like branches and commits will help a lot; GitHub itself has good git tutorials and I can recommend them if you want to understand what you're doing)

Marv

Post by Marv »

Updated my 240902 install on the Fujitsu S761, frugal Grub4Dos to SSD to the 240907 build. No issues noted. Dmesg clean, lidsuspend works :D ,DVD plays correctly from event handler, all portables continue to function well, printing to Brother 2170 laserprinter fine, haven't checked much else yet but but all seems good here so far.

Indeed Jasper, the connman tray icon could use a bit of work. If I could find the goldarn thing I'd recolor it.

Thanks peebee for the bonus cleanup :thumbup2:

peebee

Post by peebee »

Marv wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 5:07 pm

the connman tray icon could use a bit of work. If I could find the goldarn thing I'd recolor it.

Maybe:
/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/symbolic/status/network-offline-symbolic.svg

icon.png
icon.png (18.31 KiB) Viewed 371 times

peebee

Post by peebee »

Radky suggests

Code: Select all

cp -f usr/share/connman_ui_gtk/icons/*.svg usr/share/icons/Adwaita/symbolic/status

in
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... .conf#L146

i.e. overwrite the Adwaita icons

Joshua26

Post by Joshua26 »

dimkr wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 1:10 pm

It is clear that noble64's absence of preloaded 'va-driver-all' and use of xz-compressed kernel modules may result in slower boot times. Starting from scratch with the BookwormPup64 setup may result in a more optimized and efficient system.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Adwaita is no longer a full icon theme (see https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/adwaita- ... issues/288), it's supposed to 1) act as fallback when you use a different theme, through Inherits=Adwaita or 2) be used directly by applications, ignoring the system theme. If you want to replace the symbolic icons, I think it would be best to add Puppy-themed symbolic icons to the Puppy themes instead of modifying Adwaita and possibly causing issues in GTK+ 4 applications that use Adwaita.

In my builds, I dropped the Puppy icon themes because I think it's a waste of time to try to preserve them when GTK+ is doing its thing, especially without a dedicated artwork team that can keep up with the amount of work needed to chase changes in Adwaita.

Marv

Post by Marv »

I have satisfactory (for me) network tray icons. Neither the stock Adwaita ones (the Puppy themes default to those as well) nor those in /usr/share/connman_ui_gtk/icons work well with my panel background.

I edited the icons in /usr/share/connman_ui_gtk/icons using libreoffice draw and put them in my theme, which is a clone of flat-remix so I stay 'additive' and don't goof existing themes up.

I could only get those icons to be picked up by connman from the system icon theme if they were in the symbolic/status directory under the theme name there as they are in Adwaita. I don't know why the Directories line in my theme index didn't take care of that using the flat-remix structure, but it didn't. I think I had it all in correctly,

So, in my theme I use the structure (theme/symbolic/status) rather than the (theme/status/symbolic) structure used in flat-remix. Changes, of course have to be reflected in the index.theme file within the theme. Works correctly wrt. the icons, everything else I've used seems unchanged from the flat-remix I was using previously and used as the base for my clone, and the new theme is carried in my adrive only.

I don't expect anyone else to be nuts enough to pursue this but It is doable and doesn't in any way change the core puppy.

Return to “NoblePup64”