Wine for Slacko 7.0 64bit??

Moderator: Forum moderators

WN2A

Wine for Slacko 7.0 64bit??

Post by WN2A »

Hello,
Can anyone recommend a Wine version that works well with Puppy Slacko64-7.0 ?
I tried using Mike Walsh's Appimage viewtopic.php?p=119783&hilit=appimage+wine#p119783 , but it requires glibc 2.30 and Puppy Slacko64-7.0 only has glibc 2.23.
If not that, where to find glibc 2.30 for this pup? :D
Thanks!
WN2A

Amateur Radio and Puppy Linux-Perfect Combo! :thumbup2:

mikewalsh

Re: Wine for Slacko 7.0 64bit??

Post by mikewalsh »

@WN2A :-

O-kay. Well; unless you've got a pressing need to HAVE to run the newest, most bang-up-to-date build of WINE - for whatever reason! - we do have older, 'portable' builds that work just fine.

Do you have a specific use-case that requires a 9-series build? What are you trying to run?

To the majority of people, conditioned by Windows and mainstream Linux to believe that it's critical to run the very newest version of everything, ALL THE TIME, the somewhat "laid-back" nature of Puppy Linux comes as something of a shock. Unless it's a browser, or something else connected to the internet - which we DO insist on keeping up-to-date - the general advice for software is "If it works, leave it alone"! :o :)

All the WINE-portables I've put together can be found here:-

https://drive.sukudir.com/drive/s/qdZ1A ... UOWoIcnJkJ

It's only the 9-series that need the newer glibc.......but since we don't have a 'simple' way to upgrade the glibc in Puppy (it can be done, but it's very much a 'manual' process, and you DO need to know what you're doing), the usual advice is just to use a newer Puppy for this. With the way Puppy and the portables work, you can easily boot into a LiveSession of Puppy from the ISO, run whatever portable you need for your purposes.....then shut it all down and go back to your 'daily-driver' when you're done. Either that, or just set-up a 'vanilla' frugal install of a newer Pup beside your existing one, link a 9-series WINE-portable into it & use that for your Windoze 'fix'! :D

If you let us know what Windows apps/programs you want to run, I'll do some research and see what's needed. Or, you could always investigate yourself, at WineHQ:-

https://appdb.winehq.org/

Go to 'Browse Apps' in the left pane, find what you're looking for (set the search tool to 200 items per page, else it'll take forever to find anything), and see what it says about compatibility. Most Windows stuff will generally run fine, but some items still won't 'play nice' with WINE.

You MAY be OK with the 5.11 build. This is MY general "workhorse", and happily runs every one of the few Windows apps I regularly use.

Mike. ;)

WN2A

Post by WN2A »

mikewalsh - Thanks for the incredibly fast reply!
My requirements are fortunately "not newest, most bang-up-to-date", they all run in the 32bit world under wine 1.5.15
Like:
Qucsstudio 4.3.1
Antenna Modeling: 4nec2
old MPLAB 8.46
old MPASM for windows
and a bunch of other older, but useful stuff. No games.
So, yes, I will check out the archived versions--Thanks!
WN2A

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@WN2A :-

U-huh. Well, that being the case, I would recommend you give the 5.11 portable a try. Everything that I use previously ran fine under WINE 1.72 - with one exception, and newer versions fixed the few glitches in that one - so I'm thinking the WINE 5.11 portable should do what you want. It's extremely stable, and has never yet let me down.

I only supply the newest builds, from time to time, because some folks do find they NEED the newest builds to fix specific problems. WINE is one of those rare beasts where you CAN get away with running older versions.....because it's all about matching compatibility to the age of whatever Windows app you want to run. Several of our members still like to use Windows apps that must be 20-odd years old.....

(*shrug...*)

These AppImage-based builds, although assembled to run under 64-bit DO have all the necessary 32-bit dlls'n'stuff included. They are an incredibly neat way of running WINE - full credit must go to the guys who package these things! - especially for 64-bit Puppies that never had a 32-bit_compat_libs SFS created for them. You can even put the portable-WINE on a suitably-formatted flash drive - as you can with any of the portables I supply - and run it from there. Myself, I have half-a-dozen AppImage-based WINE-portables set up - different versions for different things! - and I've built myself a wee GUI-based 'quick switcher' so I can easily swap 'em around, depending on what I want to do.

Let us know how you get on with it, please. :D

Mike. ;)

WN2A

Post by WN2A »

mikewalsh,
While I haven't had any luck with the 4.21, 5.11 or 9.3 Wine AppImages on Slacko7.0-64 , the 9.3 version works nicely on S15pup64 (22.12). On this OS, the install went with no problems. Should some older Windows executables not work on S15pup64, I can still run them on Slacko 6.3.2 (32bit) with Wine 1.5.15.pet as I have done. For now, it is not an issue, as USB flash drives are convenient to swap for now.
Thanks! WN2A

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

You could try Wine-portable-3.3 or even 2.16 linked from here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... p=279#p279. While I prefer T'Other Mike's portables, these predate his. They are SFSes based on Shinobar's work.

Return to “Slacko”