Missing Firmware?

Moderator: BarryK

mcman56

Missing Firmware?

Post by mcman56 »

I was giving Easy OS a try but as soon as I run from the usb I got a firmware missing warning. It does not say anything about where to find files or if file revisions are important. It does not say where or how to install. Are you expected to ba a power user to run EasyOS?

easy os.JPG
easy os.JPG (83.63 KiB) Viewed 905 times
FeodorF

Re: Missing Firmware?

Post by FeodorF »

Wild guess

typical windows 10 Intel Atom x5-z8300 based laptop with touch pad ATMEL firmware missing as well as Intel SST audio firmware missing.

https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/ ... 03084A.pdf
There is a link on page 9 of this document for the atmel_mxt_ts firmware.

https://github-wiki-see.page/m/atmel-ma ... ntegration
atmel_mxt_ts I2C driver integration. The Linux mainline kernel since v2.6.36 has contained a driver for maXTouch chips that uses I2C-based communication. It was called qt602240 from v2.6.36 until v2.6.38 and then renamed atmel_mxt_ts in v2.6.39. This driver was originally contributed by Samsung and written for the mXT224 chip.

mcman56

Post by mcman56 »

This is for a:

Samsung Chromebook 3 (Intel Celeron N3050, Braswell dual core @ 1.6GHz, Memory: 2GB, Wi-Fi: 802.11ac dual band (2.4GHz, 5GHz)
Samsung Model code: XE500C13-K01us

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Very easy to find the firmware, I googled for "fw_sst_22a8.bin firmware", got lots of hits, for example:

https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/contents?b ... &repo=main

https://www.matanauniversity.ac.id/home ... are/intel/

Just put fw_sst_22a8.bin into /usr/lib/firmware/intel, reboot and it should be fixed.

Note that EasyOS has a very big collection of firmware builtin; however, /usr/lib/firmware would have to be enormous to include all possible firmware.
So for some unusual hardware, you have to chase down the firmware yourself.

I did a quick search for 'maxtouch.cfg', can't find it.

mcman56

Post by mcman56 »

This is probably a silly question but does the OS have to be loaded on the hard drive to do this? The statement to reboot would suggest that to me.

maxtouch.cfg' looks to be a config file for a touch screen that I do not have.

The other looks to be a sound driver and the system doesn't have sound.

CF-DKS

Post by CF-DKS »

mcman56 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 11:05 pm

This is probably a silly question but does the OS have to be loaded on the hard drive to do this? The statement to reboot would suggest that to me.

maxtouch.cfg' looks to be a config file for a touch screen that I do not have.

The other looks to be a sound driver and the system doesn't have sound.

What happens if you just hit OK and ignore the warning?

mcman56

Post by mcman56 »

The system works but there is no sound.

bugnaw333

Post by bugnaw333 »

mcman56 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 1:15 am

The system works but there is no sound.

https://bkhome.org/news/202401/mscw-not ... ootup.html

mcman56

Post by mcman56 »

The speaker does not have an X. When I try and configure one of the cards, there is no sound.

capture18117.png
capture18117.png (504.94 KiB) Viewed 289 times
mcman56

Post by mcman56 »

I went to install EasyOS on the hard drive but ran into some rather complicated instructions, frugal and full. BookwormPup64_10.0.7 is already loaded (as frugal I believe) on the hard drive. It loaded quit simply. Is there an easy/ similar way to load EasyOS over BookwormPup64?

Caramel

Post by Caramel »

mcman56 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 3:55 pm

I went to install EasyOS on the hard drive but ran into some rather complicated instructions, frugal and full. BookwormPup64_10.0.7 is already loaded (as frugal I believe) on the hard drive. It loaded quit simply. Is there an easy/ similar way to load EasyOS over BookwormPup64?

There is no "full" installation of EasyOS. The only mode is frugal (All is installed in a directory in an ext4 partition)

See https://easyos.org/install/easy-frugal- ... ation.html

PS : To help, I created a NON OFFICIAL script to execute on a running EasyOS (https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 02#p125702)

The script can be launched from an EasyOS USB stick. It takes as argument the ext4 partition where you want to create the installation directory and then the directory name. The partition would be previously mounted (by EasyOS on the key)

it copies the 3 files needed for installation in the choosen directory and provides examples of stanzas for some bootmanagers

The script is for the series 6 of EasyOS (Scarthgap)

mcman56

Post by mcman56 »

Sorry, I don't know how to add something to a USB boot stick. I thought a boot stick was only a boot stick. I have loaded other versions of puppy and various other linux OS but It seems like my skill set is inadequate for this version.

It is a bit comical that I can not figure out how to load something called EasyOS.

CF-DKS

Post by CF-DKS »

mcman56 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 10:06 pm

Sorry, I don't know how to add something to a USB boot stick. I thought a boot stick was only a boot stick. I have loaded other versions of puppy and various other linux OS but It seems like my skill set is inadequate for this version.

It is a bit comical that I can not figure out how to load something called EasyOS.

EasyOS has indeed been easy for me, and my skill level is pretty basic. But I've run it from USB for the last three years and only started installing to internal drives recently. I have the luxury of several old desktops and laptops (people keep giving me their castoffs). So far no issues except for a couple of quirks, e.g. one laptop with very limited resources won't boot Scarthgap from the internal drive but is happy to boot it from USB and will boot Dunfell from the internal drive, go figure. However, I have not attempted any dual boot situations so I don't know about that, and I take it that is what you are trying to set up?

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

To create a manual frugal install on your internal drive (or any drive). You need to extract 3 files from the EasyOS*.img, this is probably the most difficult part. If you have another Easyos or puppy install, you need to extract the contents of the easyos.img, which contains 2 paritions compressed into the image file. You can use a program like uextract or pextract, this is contained in easyos and bookwormpup64 10.0.x releases and other puppy releases also.

You copy the easy.sfs, initrd, vmlinuz from the extracted partitions of the easy*.img. You place them in a directory you create in a partition on your internal drive. Assuming you are using Grub2, you need to create a boot stanza in your grub.cfg that you have in an existing install.

To find uuid, run blkid in a terminal. Replace xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx with the uuid for the partition where you created the easyos directory.

Code: Select all

menuentry "EasyOS 6.2 Scarthgap" {
        insmod ext2
        insmod search_fs_uuid
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
        linux  /Easyos/vmlinuz rw wkg_uuid=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx wkg_dir=Easyos/
        initrd /Easyos/initrd

}

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

Caramel

Post by Caramel »

mcman56 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 10:06 pm

Sorry, I don't know how to add something to a USB boot stick. I thought a boot stick was only a boot stick.

From Getting started with EasyOs :

EasyOs is a complete full featured OS designed to run from a USB flash drive

You can use it as an OS installed on a hard drive. One difference is that you have to save session before poweroff (with default settings)

Return to “EasyOS”