dwservice-1.png (159.43 KiB) Viewed 1223 times

https://www.lifewire.com/free-remote-ac ... ls-2625161

HOW TO INSTALL

Only the target PC (the one to connect to) or "agent" that needs the installer

On any PC:
1. Go to https://www.dwservice.net
2. Choose Sign up here
3. Login (User = your email)
4. Choose "Agents" (the target PC you wish to connect to)
5. Click on the "+" sign on top (to add an agent)
6. Enter the "Name" (i.e. Mom's PC) and "Description" (i.e. Windows 10), then "Confirm"

On the Agent (target PC):
7. Download the agent accordingly (Linux, Mac, Win)

dwservice-2.png
dwservice-2.png (287.17 KiB) Viewed 1223 times

8. Execute it (if it's for Puppy, make it executable first)
9. Select "Install" for permanent access
10. Enter the installation code (from the newly created Agent (Mom's PC), left to "To Install")

On any PC (other than target PC):
11. Open any browser
12. Go to https://www.dwservice.net
13. Login (User = your email)
14. Select "Agents", then choose the one that is "Available"
15. Choose "Screen"

dwservice-3.png
dwservice-3.png (359.58 KiB) Viewed 1223 times

* Note: The agent (target PC) is BookwormPup64

vektor_alian

Re: DWService: Free Browser Remote

Post by vektor_alian »

Been using it for years. Awesome.

Vektor

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@sonny :-

See here:-

viewtopic.php?t=8542

.....and here:-

viewtopic.php?t=8490

I have to agree with vektor. It's the simplest remote-control 'app' I think I've seen, AND.....it works really well. The only bit I haven't yet figured out is how to connect to it from outside the LAN (local network).

This would make it a true remote desktop replacement for TeamViewer, etc. But inside the LAN, it's brilliant.

Mike. ;)

sonny

Post by sonny »

Thank you, @mikewalsh.

DWService is an ideal replacement for RDP,
which uses the problematic port 3389.

vektor_alian

Post by vektor_alian »

Hey Mike

Once it is installed and you create an agent, the only way I have ever connected is through their website.

Vektor

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

sonny wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 2:00 pm

Thank you, @mikewalsh .

DWService is an ideal replacement for RDP,
which uses the problematic port 3389.

@sonny :-

I found the specific port for DWService in the documentation, so folks can set the 'portable' up as a 'permanent' thing with needing to disable the firewall. As it happens, nothing needs to be set, since the app uses the same port as a standard browser - TCP:443.

Following that LifeWire link of yours - thanks for that! - I've been experimenting with getscreen.me. Most stuff on that list is, predictably, for Windows, MacOS, iOS and Android.....but getscreen.me is another one that apparently works the same way as DWService, via a small 'agent', and in this case generates a unique URL to connect to in your browser, rather than needing to log-in via username & password from the agent. And it's available for Linux.

I've already turned it into a 'portable'; there's a .deb package, an .rpm package, and a standalone 'binary' (which is what I've used here). It fires up fine (it's supposed to be for 'all' Linux distros); I'll be trying it out for real later this evening.....and will report back with my findings.

(Interestingly, the LifeWire article seems to be of the opinion that @Clarity 's declared 'favourite' - Chrome Remote Desktop - is not that good for helping other folks out unless they're fairly 'tech-savvy' to begin with.....so not a lot of use for 'noobs' and the computer-illiterate! I'm fairly au fait with all this stuff.....and I've NEVER been able to get it to work (it always hangs on the 'xdg-protocol' installer thingy for me. Others may have had better luck with it than I.)

Will report back on GetScreen.me.

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

vektor_alian wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 2:48 pm

Hey Mike

Once it is installed and you create an agent, the only way I have ever connected is through their website.

Vektor

Hm. So you connect just the same across the wider internet as you do inside the LAN?

Putting my "considering cap" on, I guess it must; you are, after all, visiting their website to view the remote desktop - which involves a round-trip to their servers and back again - so, um.....yeah; it must note your external IP as well during the connection process. Ah well; if that's the case, easier still.

I've never yet had the opportunity to actually try connecting with this from a separate physical location (don't get out much, me!) :lol: But since it's using the self-same method, even from your own local network, it MUST work the same way.

Neat! Thanks for making me think about that a bit further. Cheers!

Mike. ;)

sonny

Post by sonny »

@mikewalsh
Mike, you don't have to leave the house.
Just run any of them on VPN.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@sonny /all:-

Right. GetScreen.me.......operation, ease-of-use, comparisons with DWService, etc.

The portable has been packed as a ROX-app, and needs to be running on the machine you want to control. Once downloaded/unpacked, stick it anywhere you want & just click on the thing to fire it up. Initially you see this:-

This is the 'FastAccess' screen. Simply copy the URL link, send it to your other machine, and just paste the URL into your browser and hit 'Enter'. The remote desktop should launch and you can then control this machine remotely. (See 'Limitations' below).

If you want to set-up 'Permanent Access' between these two machines, you need to sign-up & create a free a/c at:-

https://getscreen.me/en/

Once that's done, launch the portable on the machine to be controlled, click the 'Permanent Access' tab, enter the email you used to create the a/c in the left-side field, then click the button next to it. You'll then get something like this:-

....showing that permanent access is now set-up.

If you now go to the other machine, launch your browser and sign-in to the above URL, you'll arrive at your 'Dashboard', which looks like this:-

You'll see a section for each machine you've enabled 'Permanent Access' to. Here they're greyed-out, because neither agent is currently running. Normally, when you have an active agent, that section will be lit-up in colour.....and all you do is to click on the 'Connect' button underneath.

I've not taken a shot of the remote desktop, but if you're familiar with how TeamViewer used to look a few years back then you've pictured it. A toolbar-and-a-half of controls across the top of the screen; the only thing missing is the TV 'chat' option, but then most of the apps in that Lifewire list don't actually have this.

Limitations:-

The biggest difference here is the requirement for WebRTC. GetScreen.me needs it.....DWService doesn't. DWService will happily run in a browser like Pale Moon, whereas GetScreen.me needs an up-to-date Chrome, Firefox or Opera in order to work. Pale Moon doesn't now, or ever WILL have WebRTC; Moonchild is most adamant on this point.

I can run any browser I want on the big HP desktop rig; it has the legs, plenty of grunt, and tons of RAM and storage. The Dell Latitude D630 is another story; a Core2Duo and just 4 GB RAM means that Chromium-based browsers OR Firefox are rather too much for it, so this one runs Pale Moon and is happy. Which limits it to DWService.

I can't really run GetScreen.me in either direction with my two machines, because in both cases it sends the Core2Duo up to the redline and it's very soon running in the low-to-mid 90s. I do NOT like running it this hot, despite that it's supposed to handle it (I have to watch the temps on the Nvidia Quadro like a hawk, else I'll soon have a dead GPU.....and no display!) Bottom line is it's too much for it; I ran it for long enough to put this post together & to prove it does function well, but I soon needed to end the session! Between a pair of powerful, capable, reasonably modern machines, it will give no issues at all.

I'll still recommend it as another addition to Puppy's arsenal of remote desktop apps. Like DWService, it's easy to use.....and it does have a few extra abilities.

The download link can be found here:-

viewtopic.php?t=12407

Mike. ;)

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

Returning to DWService.

Tried it out last night, using BookwormPup64 as host, and my mobile phone on 4G as the remote client.

I ran the install script as indicated and selected INSTALL. That did NOT automatically start the session, IMHO.
BUT, I had to run the install script again, then select RUN instead of INSTALL.
This generates an ID and session password - ( not the ones for the DWService website to set up an agent the first time)
On my mobile phone I went to the DWService website, signed in with the generated ID and password, and selected SCREEN.
Worked beautifully. Now I need to find a use for it.....

vektor_alian

Post by vektor_alian »

Hi Geek3579

When you installed it did you check the website to see if your computer was shown?

Sometimes it takes a few minutes of handshaking, but it should appear in the available section.

Vektor

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

I did check on the website and there was an icon, but it was shown as "unavailable."

I turned off the firewalls of host and client but that did not seem to help. Checked /etc/host.allow and /etc/host.deny, but they were OK.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Geek3579 :-

Geek3579 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 5:20 am

I did check on the website and there was an icon, but it was shown as "unavailable."

I turned off the firewalls of host and client but that did not seem to help. Checked /etc/host.allow and /etc/host.deny, but they were OK.

Actually, in this particular case no firewall modifications should be necessary. Since the remote "viewer" is running in your web browser, both 'agent' and 'client' are using the standard browser port - TCP:443.

I presume the same holds true for GetScreen.me.

The way I use the DWService-portable across the home LAN is slightly different. On every Puppy I control remotely, I have a small text file in root, where I note down the 'User' and 'Password' for the 'agent'. I also run Bill's 'SimplePythonHTTPServer'. This lets me browse the remote machine's file-system. Works nicely! I open the agent, set it running and jot the User & Password down in the text file. I then set the HTTP server going.

Across on the other machine in the front room - I keep the Latitude here since I keep Mama company of an evening - I open a browser and view the remote file-system, opened at the small text file. I then open DWService's website and sign-in with the 'User' & 'Password' that I left showing in the other tab. Bingo!.....straight into the remote services, and click on 'Screen' for the remote control function.

Takes longer to describe this than it does to execute it, of course. But it works well for me, and is really fuss-free. I have nothing but good things to say about DWService's setup, I really do.

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

vektor_alian wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 5:46 pm

Hi Geek3579

When you installed it did you check the website to see if your computer was shown?

Sometimes it takes a few minutes of handshaking, but it should appear in the available section.

Vektor

@vektor_alian :-

Ah. So, it doesn't always show up straight away under the 'Agents' sub-sections? That WOULD explain why I didn't think things were working, yet connecting the 'manual' way works every time...

With GetScreen.me I find the remote host always shows immediately. Ah, well; there's bound to be differences. Might be to do with WebRTC; different protocols, different behaviour. So long as it works, that's the main thing.....even if the signed-in, 'connect via account' method doesn't always behave itself, both apps have the immediate, 'one-off' access thing down pat. And that always works.

It'll do me. I'm still happy with it!

Mike. ;)

vektor_alian

Post by vektor_alian »

Hey Mike

In reference to using a remote access text file, I have done auto-start of the DWService app and auto-screenshotting and send the image to GDrive on the host computer.
On the client I just connect to GDrive and view the screenshot. Almost like unattended auto-connect but not.

Vektor

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 11:57 am

The way I use the DWService-portable across the home LAN is slightly different. On every Puppy I control remotely, I have a small text file in root, where I note down the 'User' and 'Password' for the 'agent'. I also run Bill's 'SimplePythonHTTPServer'. This lets me browse the remote machine's file-system. Works nicely! I open the agent, set it running and jot the User & Password down in the text file. I then set the HTTP server going.

Mike. ;)

I tried the SimplePythonHTTPServer PET as indicated, but got an error message: No module named SimpleHTTPServer
I guess the PET is just a front-end, but do I need to load this SimplePythonHTTPServer module somehow ??

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Geek3579 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:12 am

Mike. ;)

I tried the SimplePythonHTTPServer PET as indicated, but got an error message: No module named SimpleHTTPServer
I guess the PET is just a front-end, but do I need to load this SimplePythonHTTPServer module somehow ??

I ought perhaps to clarify here. Simple HTTP Python Server is NOT a "requirement" for this to work; I just happen to have it installed anyway, for file-browsing/downloading/uploading to/from the big desktop rig.

I also tend to run mostly older Puppies. These usually have Python2, and I'm using rcrsn51's original Python2-based version.

Newer Pups no longer come with Python2, as 'parent' distros have long since migrated to Python3. Fred performed a re-jig on Bill's original, and re-built it with the Python3 version of that module instead, along with a slight re-design of the GUI, etc.

If you try to use the older .pet in a newer Puppy, it WON'T work; Python3 is not backwards-compatible with Python2, it doesn't "recognise" Python2 modules, and installing the older .pet here would result in a 'python2.7' directory in /usr/lib, complete with the server module.......but without the rest of Python2 to make it work.

Fred's updated Python3 build can be found here, if you'd still like it (it IS an extremely easy way of file-browsing another machine on the LAN, again accessed via your browser):-

viewtopic.php?t=8729

Apologies for any confusion.

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

vektor_alian wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 6:12 pm

Hey Mike

In reference to using a remote access text file, I have done auto-start of the DWService app and auto-screenshotting and send the image to GDrive on the host computer.
On the client I just connect to GDrive and view the screenshot. Almost like unattended auto-connect but not.

Vektor

@vektor_alian :-

Er....o-kayyy. Auto-start I can do, no problem, but.....auto-screenshotting? How on EARTH d'you manage that? You've now raised my curiosity levels a couple of notches (at least!)

Ah. What screenshot app are you using? I know Hotshots used to have the capability to send the image to cloud-based locations, but that's the only one I know of...

Mike. :?

vektor_alian

Post by vektor_alian »

Hey Mike

RClone and scrot.

After DWService is started a scrot script is executed and set to save to the RClone GDrive folder.

Do not forget I use Porteux KDE.

Spectacle is the default screenshot program and can also be set to save to the RClone folder. Do not know what puppy uses.

Have fun,

Vektor

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

vektor_alian wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 11:52 am

Do not forget I use Porteux KDE.

Yeah, I keep forgetting that. I play around with Porteus from time to time.....which is why I keep an a/c over at their forums. But, TBH, it's the constant module re-building that gets me....especially with browsers, 'cos they're ALWAYS being updated.

I see it as fine with apps that don't get updated often, but anything internet-facing? Arrgh!

I still think our 'portable' browsers with their updater scripts (thanks, Fred!), updating in-situ, are a more sensible proposition. Admittedly, I have a ton of RAM and storage, so space is not an issue for me, but I can see how they might be a bit 'heavy' for some folks with older hardware. That's why I recommend running them from a flash drive.....which they're perfectly happy with.

I've never been able to get rclone to work properly, so..... For remote access of my Drive a/c, I use Fred's 'GDrive GUI', which is now rclone-based. Works beautifully. and for accessing all my other cloud-storage a/cs, I have them set-up for the desktop as 'webapps' from the browser. This way, they open up in their own window, like standalone desktop clients.

Well, it works for ME, anyroad. :D

Mike. ;)

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:32 am
Geek3579 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:12 am

Mike. ;)

I ought perhaps to clarify here. Simple HTTP Python Server is NOT a "requirement" for this to work; I just happen to have it installed anyway, for file-browsing/downloading/uploading to/from the big desktop rig.

I also tend to run mostly older Puppies. These usually have Python2, and I'm using rcrsn51's original Python2-based version.

Newer Pups no longer come with Python2, as 'parent' distros have long since migrated to Python3. Fred performed a re-jig on Bill's original, and re-built it with the Python3 version of that module instead, along with a slight re-design of the GUI, etc.

If you try to use the older .pet in a newer Puppy, it WON'T work; Python3 is not backwards-compatible with Python2, it doesn't "recognise" Python2 modules, and installing the older .pet here would result in a 'python2.7' directory in /usr/lib, complete with the server module.......but without the rest of Python2 to make it work.

Fred's updated Python3 build can be found here, if you'd still like it (it IS an extremely easy way of file-browsing another machine on the LAN, again accessed via your browser):-

viewtopic.php?t=8729

Apologies for any confusion.

Mike. ;)

Thanks Mike, I downloadedFred's updated build and it worked fine with BWPup64 as host and client with firewall ON.
A nice piece of software, I agree.

Return to “Network/Server”