DistroWatch needs a newer Puppy version listed for Puppy Linux!!!!!

Moderator: Forum moderators

wiak

Re: DistroWatch needs a newer Puppy version listed for Puppy Linux!!!!!

Post by wiak »

retiredt00 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:22 am

Is there any reason that someone can think of that the distrowatch page is not updated yet?
Should Barry Kauler or a puppy linux developer try to inform them "officially"?
It appears to me the messages from enthusiastic users no matter how well written, do not go through and puppy drops in the distrowatch standing
:(

Almost feels like Distrowatch is playing with Puppy forum in a frustrating manner. Afterall they can't be so busy up there they don't possibly have time to do the job... And since it is well published and long known BarryK gavd up maintaining Puppy and passed that to its community it makes no sense to involve him in this process. Perhaps, however, @rockedge could be formally appointed as community forum lead to take over responsibility for taking care of Puppy now that woof-CE folks tend to have deserted the ship and did not represent the overall community very well anyway?

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

wiak wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:45 am

woof-CE folks tend to have deserted the ship and did not represent the overall community very well anyway?

Among all active developers in this forum, @peebee is probably the one with the largest number of active projects, and has woof-CE push (admin?) permissions, plus control over puppylinux.com. While most are inactive, it's too soon to declare the death of woof-CE or Puppy.

wanderer

Post by wanderer »

hi all

have been sending jesse at distrowatch emails every week or so
but he has not responded after the initial contact when he changed the date

i will try to contact distrowatch through their main number today
maybe after the initial contact jesse no longer looks at further emails from that source

as i said there was no problem with updating our page last time
so this is a strange glitch

wanderer

wanderer

Post by wanderer »

hi all

a new email with the screenshot attachment
has been sent to an alternate distrowatch email

lets see if this gets through

wanderer

wiak

Post by wiak »

dimkr wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:41 am
wiak wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:45 am

woof-CE folks tend to have deserted the ship and did not represent the overall community very well anyway?p

Among all active developers in this forum, @peebee is probably the one with the largest number of active projects, and has woof-CE push (admin?) permissions, plus control over puppylinux.com. While most are inactive, it's too soon to declare the death of woof-CE or Puppy.

Oh... I guess I mistakenly thought rockedge had been given control over puppylinux.com. Nevertheless I really think it is long long overdue that the membership of this forum, which is the Puppy Community afterall, should be the main representatives of Puppy nowadays and the lead on this forum of individuals is rockedge, not peebee. Ridiculous that woof-CE is so separate from the actual community Puppy supposedly 'belongs to' nowadays. A tech person is not necessarily the best person to manage and represent a community project, which is supposed to be gifted to its forum community.

Of course anyone can be delegated the role of maintaining the build system chosen by the community to be used, which may or may not end up being woof-CE. I vote for rockedge to look after puppylinux.com matters and thus Puppy's overall management on this forum community's behalf and thus with marketing issues involving the likes of distrowatch. Any seconder(s)? Tech nitty gritty support team is just an aspect of overall Puppy team and overview overall big picture management of community-gifted Puppy should rest with its forum membership. Rockedge is the natural lead in forum-related matters.

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

I don't think anyone can "represent" Puppy, its users and all opinions in this forum. This forum is home to many projects, most of them are "opinionated" in one way or another, most have a single developer and there's very little (if any) shared code. As you can see, the thought experiment of finding some common ground and redefining Puppy through the things these distros have in common, has failed. A single representative would probably fail to describe each and every distro here accurately, and give it equal chance of success.

wiak

Post by wiak »

dimkr wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:28 pm

...As you can see, the thought experiment of finding some common ground and redefining Puppy through the things these distros have in common, has failed. A single representative would probably fail to describe each and every distro here accurately, and give it equal chance of success.

I'm not seeing anything as 'failed'. But my overall view is very different because I don't believe any project or distro is of major importance (even if at first glance that statement seems illogical). Rather, I believe that it is the forum itself that is the important resource that represents the needs, interests, addictions..., and wishes of its members.

Any project that even slightly boosts forum member interest, entertainment, technical support, or enthusiasm is worth encouraging and supporting in order to better strengthen forum membership and activity.

That's why key leadership in terms of Puppy Community marketing rests logically, I feel, with whoever has most importance here regarding overall forum marketing. If the forum dies who cares about Puppy Linux really - yes, some might still use it, but would be no longer talking about it unless they like talking to themself.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I guess I mistakenly thought rockedge had been given control over puppylinux.com

I "own" the domain name puppylinux.com as it is in my name and I am financially responsible for it.

I "own" and control the host server account that hosts forum.puppylinux.com, oldforum.puppylinux.com, wikka.puppylinux.com and f96.puppylinux.com which I maintain all of the web software and the html,css you name it I take care of it. This I am also financially responsible for.

We have the URL puppylinux.com resolve to pages on GitHub that generate the "main" Puppy Linux web site pages. This is accessed and controlled by those who have access to the GitHub Puppy Linux repo

Any project that even slightly boosts forum member interest, entertainment, technical support, or enthusiasm is worth encouraging and supporting in order to better strengthen forum membership and activity.

I agree 100%

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

rockedge wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:07 pm

I "own" the domain name puppylinux.com as it is in my name and I am financially responsible for it.

Maybe it's time to redirect it away from https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/p ... .github.io to something very clean like https://f96.puppylinux.com/, with a broad definition of Puppy and the other distros in this forum (with vague terms like "portable" and "lightweight"), a link to the forum, and that's it. Puppy is a do-ocracy but the stewards listed in https://puppylinux-woof-ce.github.io/team.html don't seem to be active or interested in updating https://puppylinux-woof-ce.github.io/history.html, https://puppylinux-woof-ce.github.io/family-tree.html and other page to reflect the current activity of this community.

I can set up a git repo with an index.html, write a quick draft, let everyone submit complaints and patches until we agree on something. Then, throw away the git repo and find a web server to serve this index.html.

peebee

Post by peebee »

Distrowatch points directly to Github at https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=puppy
so a new webpage wouldn't be "seen"

The idea of the Github pages were that anybody could easily request changes............

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

peebee wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:55 am

Unless puppylinux.com points there :)

peebee

Post by peebee »

dimkr wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:58 am
peebee wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:55 am

Unless puppylinux.com points there :)

Distrowatch does not use puppylinux.com............

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

@peebee But it can if you add <meta http-equiv that redirects from GitHub Pages to another URL

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@peebee, @dimkr

Interesting is we have an entire WordPress site directly at puppylinux.com that is doing nothing. Never enabled it, instead we redirect to https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/puppylinux-woof-CE.github.io so the WordPress site that auto updates regularly but other than that does nothing. All the rest of the sites are arranged in sub-domains of puppylinux.com.

WordPress can be set up to be managed by anyone with the correct login credentials. Meaning that it's easy to maintain and modify content by direct access.
No coding ability is needed to do this. This is possible because the type of hosting service we use the WordPress sites is included and many use this type for hosting WordPress sites. This hosting is good for the types of web site frameworks we use, but we've not had the need to actually incorporate the WordPress package.

It's an idea and all it takes to enable is renaming one single file.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

@rockedge I prefer static sites (with or without generators), because anything CGI can become an attack vector and needs to be monitored and updated constantly.

IMO the ideal solution to make puppylinux.com better would be a public git repo with Markdown files, an automated pipeline that generates a static site (something like the Void handbook) that's served from puppylinux.com, and a "two approvals" policy where every submitted patch needs approval from two contributors. This way, people can't change the shared index.md so it says 'this is official, that is not' to promote some distros over others, but anyone can create a page that describes their distro and that page would appear in an auto-generated menu. If such a setup works, maybe it can be used for all kinds of documentation including installation and troubleshooting, and replace not just the website but also the old wiki.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Has everything been submitted to DistroWatch to have BookwormPup (64bit & 32bit) listed as the latest version of Puppy Linux????

I ask, because all they have on the Puppy Linux page, is just the image showing the desktop of BookwormPup64.

In the list of Puppy versions, S15Pup is still the latest version.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

wanderer

Post by wanderer »

hi bigpup

distrowatch said that all that they needed was
1. a screenshot and
2. a link to the distro announcement
and that they would handle the rest

we have given them that and more
and you can see the result

so we can send them further information
and i can email them it every week as i have been doing
but i wouldn't hold my breath

if you post a blurb on this thread
i will email it to distrowatch

wanderer

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Well, DistroWatch is slow to make changes, unless you are paying them.

Just does seem strange. At this time, all they updated was the desktop image of Puppy Linux.

Forum Global Moderator

wanderer

Post by wanderer »

hi bigpup

this is actually much stranger than it seems

previous submission s15 (also by me)
everything went smoothly
and (relatively) quickly

this time
initial contact they got back to me the same day ( very fast )
but only changed the date
i then emailed them many times
about 1 time per week
no response to my emails
they then eventually changed the screenshot
but with an older picture i had sent them

i think they are having personal issues
and it has nothing to do with us or money

so this is what i think we should do

1. come up with a blurb for this candidate that i will email them again and again until they attend to it

next time
before we contact distrowatch

change our home page with
1. the screenshot
2. the release thread link
3. an explanatory blurb with all the info they will need

i will then email everything to them at the first contact
and keep re-sending the emails to them until they attend to the issue

maybe that will make this it easier for them

wanderer

retiredt00

Post by retiredt00 »

bigpup wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:03 pm

This is not true
All Barry Kαuler's announcements on Easy OS and Puppy's up to Slacko 7.0 if you compare the dates will see that they were announced IMMEDIATELLY
What they want is a static page that will have the announcement from the developer (not a forum post) to point to and copy text from.
Bookworm does not have announcement page (like every other distribution announced on distrowatch) yet

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

retiredt00 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:25 pm
bigpup wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:03 pm

This is not true
All Barry Kαuler's announcements on Easy OS and Puppy's up to Slacko 7.0 if you compare the dates will see that they were announced IMMEDIATELLY
What they want is a static page that will have the announcement from the developer (not a forum post) to point to and copy text from.
Bookworm does not have announcement page (like every other distribution announced on distrowatch) yet

I think @retiredt00 has a point here. So, I guess, what to do:
- make a (static) page that will have the announcement for BookwormPup with lots of info and screenshots etc.. (not a forum post) and give the link to distrowatch
- next time email to distrowatch, ask them to please, please, please reply by saying if it's enough (or if not, what ?).

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Bookworm does not have announcement page

Easy enough to fix.........could be similar to F96.puppylinux.com and klv-airedale.rockedge.org in the sense it can use the same bootstrap framework. In that case a static website page or two can be produced rather quickly. And we have the server space for such a page immediately available.

Anyone with a Hiawatha web server onboard their system can experiment with some designs.

I recommend using one of the following templates. Modify, then test it out on your Hiawatha web server using localhost.
startbootstrap-business-frontpage-gh-pages.zip
startbootstrap-grayscale-gh-pages.zip
startbootstrap-new-age-gh-pages.zip

If anyone needs help modifying the /etc/hiawatha/hiawatha.conf to be able to run these web site templates just say the word.

The target is having a Bookworm64 page called bw64.puppylinux.com OR bookworm64.puppylinux.com

Lets decide which domain name suits the project best.............

peebee

Post by peebee »

Errrrrr not just 64
Bwpup or bookwormpup

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

peebee wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:56 pm

Errrrrr not just 64
Bwpup or bookwormpup

Even better. I can use bwpup.puppylinux.com as the domain name. That is what the search engines worldwide will index.

We can leave the number off of the name to be nonspecific so it the site can feature both 64 and 32 bit assemblies.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I started the ball rolling ->bwpup.puppylinux.com

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

peebee wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:56 pm

Errrrrr not just 64
Bwpup or bookwormpup

There is also a 32bit version of BookwormPup.
viewtopic.php?t=10087

It needs to be in this announcement to DistroWatch!

Both the 32bit and 64bit versions presented.

Forum Global Moderator

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Both the 32bit and 64bit versions presented.

This is a must. We need content as in text that describes this and can fit on a one page website.

Remember the design is not set in stone and can be modified in any way we see fit.

Has anyone looked at the efforts so far? Is this the way to go or is it as the young people say it these days, it's cringe?

No problem deleting the sub-domain, easier than setting it up.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wanderer, @radky, @peebee,

Bookwormpup web site is finished and can be seen here -> https://bwpup.puppylinux.com/

this can now be submitted to Distrowatch....... :ugeek: :thumbup2:

radky

Post by radky »

@rockedge

Thanks for creating the BWPUP portal. Your expertise is much appreciated. :thumbup2:

One small consideration:

In the statement below, maybe remove "See Note-1 below" since that comment does not actually exist in this presentation.

DKMS support (Debian's out-of-tree driver building infrastructure) which includes the kbuild.sfs (small builtin subset of the traditional kernel sources). See Note-1 below.

PS - The delayed release of upstream Debian Bookworm 12.6 is now scheduled for 29 June 2024. Consequently, the upcoming BookwormPup64 10.7 should be available shortly thereafter.

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

rockedge wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:23 pm

@wanderer, @radky, @peebee,

Bookwormpup web site is finished and can be seen here -> https://bwpup.puppylinux.com/

this can now be submitted to Distrowatch....... :ugeek: :thumbup2:

Bravo!!! :thumbup2:

Born to lose; live to win

Return to “Announcements”