BookwormPup32

Moderator: Forum moderators

peebee

BookwormPup32

Post by peebee »

Released 28-December-2023:

07b89ab51a83081ffc05aec7339de72f BookwormPup32-23.12+2.iso - from here or later releases here

bookwormpup32.png
bookwormpup32.png (5.59 KiB) Viewed 4471 times

Discussion thread

32-bit version of BookwormPup - built from Debian 12 Bookworm components.

Closely aligned to BookwormPup64 (BWP64) and uses the configs of BWP64 as developed by @radky from the original work by @dimkr (many thanks to both).
It is a full Woof-CE Github Actions build.

Kernel is Debian config 6.1.x
OverlayFS provides the layered filesystem
GTK+3 apps are provided wherever possible
apt / synaptic deb package management & PPM for other package types
Sound control is by pipewire
Connman provides connection management - with a switcher to NetWizard if needed
Comprehensive firmware in the fdrv is provided. (large)

Some differences with BWP64:

• built-in browser is Light in the adrv rather than Firefox (Chromium, Firefox, Palemoon and SeaMonkey are available for download)
  • xz sfs compression is used instead of zst
  • celluloid is not included (gobject segfault issues)
  • samba is provided in a separate sfs

An LXDE ydrv is also available.

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (188.07 KiB) Viewed 7364 times

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

peebee

Re: BookwormPup32

Post by peebee »

reserved

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

peebee

Post by peebee »

reserved

peebee

Post by peebee »

Sorry folks - there was a config error with +0 so +1 is released..... see post #1

The build is now on Github Actions rather than local.

Update deltas are available.

peebee

Post by peebee »

A new Github Actions build is available 231221 - see post #1

peebee

Post by peebee »

07b89ab51a83081ffc05aec7339de72f BookwormPup32-23.12+2.iso
see post #1

Updates to align with BookwormPup64-10.0.4 - thanks @radky

peebee

Post by peebee »

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

:thumbup: @peebee, a very nice, well-structured video. +1 8-)

oui

Post by oui »

The menu includes an (very old) item " Puppy installer " but nothing happens :roll:

I will really install a full installation on the hard disk.

Is that (today not) possible (any more)?

peebee

Post by peebee »

Full install is still there - it's just "hidden" to make it difficult to use:

Code: Select all

# to enable full install to hdd (before running this script - puppyinstaller):
#   export ENABLE_FULLINSTALL=1 

arslan

Post by arslan »

Why would you want to make anything difficult to use?

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

arslan wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:38 am

Because the normal Linux "full install" is not the more common method of using Puppy Linux versions. Puppy and most derivatives on the forum
are designed to be "frugal installed", which means they take less room on storage, they don't have to have a full partition on the storage device,
and some applications are designed to be loaded as you go (SFS load/unload). SFS on the fly doesn't work well with typical full partition installations.
Most of the Puppy Linux developers go to great lengths to keep SFS file handling intact, and getting help on the forum with "frugal install" is fairly
easy and many forum members will help a new user. The primary advantage of Puppy's frugal method of installation is no need to partition, format
then install the OS as is typical in other distros installers. You can simply make a directory (or folder in Windows) and extract the files from the
ISO into that directory, and add a stanza to your bootloader, or if totally new, use a bootloader installer to create a bootloader configuration.
With a frugal install you still get the complete operating system, but it uses much less in storage space. You can even try multiple Puppys by
creating a directory on the drive, extract the iso into that directory, add the bootloader stanza and boot them up...all without tinkering with
your storage drives formatting, partitioning, etc.
Wiz

Signature available upon request

melodie11

Post by melodie11 »

Hello,
I am trying BookworkPup32 latest version (BookwormPup32-23.12-240504.iso) in Virtualbox, in order to test it to eventually install it to some oldies (ie: an Asus eeepc netbook), and I stumble upon the installer that does not start. So I have started digging, and sorry I can't copy paste for now, but here is a screenshot of my finding:

https://yourimageshare.com/ib/wGsQHm6McZ

And it appeared no package with this name (gtkdialog) could be found, nor a package containing the file missing (using apt-file search which I installed in order to search).

Any thoughts on that?

Best regards,
Mélodie

sonny

Post by sonny »

:welcome: @melodie11

Someone or some of us will get back to you shortly.

melodie11

Post by melodie11 »

Thanks sonny! :)

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

melodie11 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:23 pm

Hello,
I am trying BookworkPup32 latest version (BookwormPup32-23.12-240504.iso) in Virtualbox, in order to test it to eventually install it to some oldies (ie: an Asus eeepc netbook), and I stumble upon the installer that does not start. So I have started digging, and sorry I can't copy paste for now, but here is a screenshot of my finding:

And it appeared no package with this name (gtkdialog) could be found, nor a package containing the file missing (using apt-file search which I installed in order to search).

Any thoughts on that?

Best regards,
Mélodie

Type puppyinstaller in the terminal.

Born to lose; live to win

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

Wiz57 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:35 pm
arslan wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:38 am

Because the normal Linux "full install" is not the more common method of using Puppy Linux versions. Puppy and most derivatives on the forum
are designed to be "frugal installed", which means they take less room on storage, they don't have to have a full partition on the storage device,
and some applications are designed to be loaded as you go (SFS load/unload). SFS on the fly doesn't work well with typical full partition installations.
Most of the Puppy Linux developers go to great lengths to keep SFS file handling intact, and getting help on the forum with "frugal install" is fairly
easy and many forum members will help a new user. The primary advantage of Puppy's frugal method of installation is no need to partition, format
then install the OS as is typical in other distros installers. You can simply make a directory (or folder in Windows) and extract the files from the
ISO into that directory, and add a stanza to your bootloader, or if totally new, use a bootloader installer to create a bootloader configuration.
With a frugal install you still get the complete operating system, but it uses much less in storage space. You can even try multiple Puppys by
creating a directory on the drive, extract the iso into that directory, add the bootloader stanza and boot them up...all without tinkering with
your storage drives formatting, partitioning, etc.
Wiz

The installer is useful if you want to test in a virtual machine. I understand very well the developer's motivations but we must also take into account the user's needs.

Born to lose; live to win

peebee

Post by peebee »

melodie11 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:23 pm

Hello,

Any thoughts on that?

Best regards,
Mélodie

Hi Melodie

The file is actually : /usr/lib/gtkdialog/xml_info_gtk2

dotpup is a very old script - probably not used for many years!! It has been wrongly patched by the build process - will be fixed in future builds.

melodie11

Post by melodie11 »

Thanks peebee, but I am giving up, because after install (in virtualbox) I realized it is not working the way classic distributions do : root as the default session and having to indicate which apps are to be started as the default (dog name) user, is not the way I can make users adopt a Linux setup for their daily use.
But thanks for the help!

Return to “BookwormPup”